• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamwest24

We're talking throughput though, not just streaming data, culling what isn't needed should net you a performance gain from not processing it. People here are always throwing out words like "geometry throughput" without having context. So me one game on either console that is struggling with geometry. The capabilities of both consoles is more then enough to draw millions of micro poly's. If that is the case, what makes anything think there is a potential throughput issue?
Did you honestly read my message or are you too busy trying to reply and shoot down anyone that speaks contrary to what your talking points are?

I said polys AND textures. And I’m speaking to how the consoles handle data across the board. Hypothetically if it has to use a larger pool of RAM (in it’s already smaller overall RAM stack) to draw said polys that are POTENTIALLY in the next 4-8 seconds (instead of 1-2 on PS5 from what Cerny said) because it can’t move the data on and off the RAM fast enough or be as efficient with the culling, then it will lose detail. That pool of RAM could be utilized for what’s directly on screen on the PS5, whereas a larger stack of RAM will have to be set aside on XSX for what could potentially be seen by the player in a larger radius of the game. The more RAM available for what’s directly on screen means there will be more data, textures, and therefore detail for the visuals. That could mean the player has more detail on PS5 or could mean that a game could have faster traversal through an environment. I’m not arguing that the XSX isn’t capable of filling the screen with micro-polys... but the level of detail or speed a player can move through the environment will be sacrificed if the system requires the developer to hold more RAM for possible assets in the larger radius needed to make up for the slower data throughout.

oldergamer

There is no video that shows more sweat on series x than ps5 nba 2k and you keep lying again and again I didn't say nba ha don't tessellation problems I said dirt 5. Learn to read properly. And yes nba2k removed some alpha transparencies on series x to hold the frame rate. The proof is on countless from digital foundry and nx gamer most games run better when more stuff is inn screen on ps5.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I Love Lucy Self Care GIF by Maudit

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I would say no to that.

you keep going back to the I/O when both consoles have custom components not seen in PC hardware ( yet). They both have compression and decompression hardware, they both tailor solutions to NVME drives. Take that one part away from both, and which has the more traditional architecture?
i mentioned far more than the i/o but whatever

oldergamer

Did you honestly read my message or are you too busy trying to reply and shoot down anyone that speaks contrary to what your talking points are?

I said polys AND textures. And I’m speaking to how the consoles handle data across the board. Hypothetically if it has to use a larger pool of RAM (in it’s already smaller overall RAM stack) to draw said polys that are POTENTIALLY in the next 4-8 seconds (instead of 1-2 on PS5 from what Cerny said) because it can’t move the data on and off the RAM fast enough or be as efficient with the culling, then it will lose detail. That pool of RAM could be utilized for what’s directly on screen on the PS5, whereas a larger stack of RAM will have to be set aside on XSX for what could potentially be seen by the player in a larger radius of the game. The more RAM available for what’s directly on screen means there will be more data, textures, and therefore detail for the visuals. That could mean the player has more detail on PS5 or could mean that a game could have faster traversal through an environment. I’m not arguing that the XSX isn’t capable of filling the screen with micro-polys... but the level of detail or speed a player can move through the environment will be sacrificed if the system requires the developer to hold more RAM for possible assets in the larger radius needed to make up for the slower data throughout.
Ok if you ant to talk about handling data across the board, Xbox offers more ways to save bandwidth & resident memory then PS5.

I think you are crossing a few different features and how they work with each other. Sure the more available ram you have, the more you can display in theory. However if RAM is the issue then xbox has more hardware dedicated to saving ram & bandwidth. Xbox has faster memory then PS5 which sort of makes your point ( or points partially moot )

assurdum

Banned
Ok if you ant to talk about handling data across the board, Xbox offers more ways to save bandwidth & resident memory then PS5.

I think you are crossing a few different features and how they work with each other. Sure the more available ram you have, the more you can display in theory. However if RAM is the issue then xbox has more hardware dedicated to saving ram & bandwidth. Xbox has faster memory then PS5 which sort of makes your point ( or points partially moot )
You clearly haven't a single clue of what you are talking about.

Last edited:

oldergamer

i mentioned far more than the i/o but whatever
I'm speaking in general terms and not just referring to you specially.
Sorry to tell you but going by your flip flop argument Xbox is no more innovative than the PS5
So Sony innovates and doesn't patent it? be reasonable dude. There are only so many ways you could have performance in a system be raised or lowered. This seems like a fairly obvious way to do it, which is why I'm sure its been done before. You can believe whatever you want though if it keeps you happy.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
'But the gameplay mechanic built around those two worlds couldn't be fully realized on current-gen hardware'

Isn't the same as take advantage of all next gen features, it just means that they don't have the ability to run the game on older consoles cause its using something integral to next gen.

I am just talking about your comment stating that The Medium is using all the feature of xsx. I am not interested in involving ps5 into my conversation as it quickly descends to console war crap.

Do we know if the game engine uses direct io on pc?
It doesn't and also that poster you reacted to is misguided, what means V/RAM and streaming from SDD, some peolpe should not be commenting on technical aspect of the games. As far as I know Unreal Engine 4 does not have this feature, it's for Unreal Engine 5 planned/developed.

jamwest24

You don’t need to “save bandwidth” with marketing language like “velocity architecture” near as much if you already have a real-world tremendous speed advantage with your SSD. I know the XSX has a RAM advantage in speed, but I doubt devs having less of it AND a slower SSD to fill it are gonna prefer it..

It’s clear you don’t fancy actually talking much about actual real-world details of the two consoles. But good luck with your broad arguments to hide the obvious shortcomings of the XSX architecture.

You don’t need to “save bandwidth” with marketing language like “velocity architecture” near as much if you already have a real-world tremendous speed advantage with your SSD. I know the XSX has a RAM advantage in speed, but I doubt devs having less of it AND a slower SSD to fill it are gonna prefer it..

It’s clear you don’t fancy actually talking much about actual real-world details of the two consoles. But good luck with your broad arguments to hide the obvious shortcomings of the XSX architecture.
HE sounds like he works in a marketing or sales department somewhere all he talks is lies lies lies damage control and More lies.

Last edited:
I'm speaking in general terms and not just referring to you specially.

So Sony innovates and doesn't patent it? be reasonable dude. There are only so many ways you could have performance in a system be raised or lowered. This seems like a fairly obvious way to do it, which is why I'm sure its been done before. You can believe whatever you want though if it keeps you happy.

Dude, those innovative GPU features you keep touting on about were already developed by Nvidia and supported within vulkan

Innovation doesn't always need to be patented. That's complete nonsense

Last edited:

3liteDragon

I'm pretty sure this has been done before.
Just looking within the console space, PS5's the farthest thing away from being a traditional console. What console before have you seen use workload-based power-shifting and boost clocks, liquid metal cooling, and a highly customized I/O unit (more than the XSX)? And regardless of whether they patented it or not, I don't think I've seen GPU and CPU clocks being adjusted through workload assessments before in the PC space, only through temperature (someone please correct me on this if I'm wrong). Funny thing is some people still think the "variable frequency" approach on the console is the same thing as PC (throttling based on temperature) and think it's a bad thing, regarding the I/O unit, the only custom part of the Series X|S I/O unit is the LZW de-compressor (PCs don't have dedicated I/O de-compressors yet, still use CPUs to de-compress incoming data), and the DirectStorage API is available on both Xbox and PC.

How is that less traditional compared to what's in PS5's highly custom I/O unit, which is anything but traditional compared to any platform lol. And they're not that far away from hitting that 22GB/s read speed target with having gotten licenses to use RAD Game Tools' (now owned by Epic Games) Oodle Kraken and Texture compression techniques in their SDKs. We've yet to see if even PCIe 5.0 drives hit that kind of read speeds, on top of all this it has a dedicated Kraken de-compressor (AND a ZLIB de-compressor if devs still wanna use it), it's almost as if it's future-proofed to be ready for mass adoption by the industry soon.

H9RkuuB.png

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Just looking within the console space, PS5's the farthest thing away from being a traditional console. What console before have you seen use workload-based power-shifting and boost clocks, liquid metal cooling, and a highly customized I/O unit (more than the SX). And regardless of whether they patented it or not, I don't think I've seen GPU and CPU clocks being adjusted by workload before in the PC space, only through temperature (someone please correct me on this if I'm wrong). Funny thing is some people still think the "variable frequency" approach on the console is the same thing as PC (throttling based on temperature) and think it's a bad thing, regarding the I/O unit, the only custom part of the Series X|S I/O unit is the LZW de-compressor (PCs don't have dedicated I/O de-compressors yet, still use CPUs to de-compress incoming data), and the DirectStorage API is available on both Xbox and PC.

How is that less traditional compared to what's in PS5's highly custom I/O unit, which is anything but traditional compared to any platform lol. And they're not that far away from hitting that 22GB/s read speed target with having gotten licenses to use RAD Game Tools' (now owned by Epic Games) Oodle Kraken and Texture compression techniques in their SDKs. We've yet to see if even PCIe 5.0 drives hit that kind of read speeds, on top of all this it has a dedicated Kraken de-compressor, it's almost as if it's future-proofed to be ready for mass adoption by the industry soon.

H9RkuuB.png
I think Control's file size is absolutely insane. I really wish I knew how that stuff works because having the same load times despite taking up only half the size is pretty crazy. To me, that means the data on the disc is compressed beyond belief and yet they are able to get that compressed data from disc, decompress it, and load it into memory at around the same amount of time as it takes xbox and PC taking uncompress or larger compressed data and load it into memory. Again, I am probably wrong about all of this, but thats my understanding of it.

What I dont understand is why copying is still a thing. At first I thought, copying was only happening for last gen or cross gen titles, but apparently next gen only titles also have copying. Even if copying is still necessary because Sony creates a temp file before merging it back in, shouldnt it only take 10 seconds for a 50 GB file to get copied back? the PS5 ssd has read and write speeds of 5.5 gbps. Copying shouldnt take longer than that.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Just a few weeks ago, someone told me... gpu manufacturers use the wider and slower approach. And they do that for a reason.

Now we see ppl saying the PS5 is the more traditional console....

I wish ppl would make up their minds. Get together with your fandom and try to keep it consistent, ok?

Which reminds me....isnt AMD supposed to reveal the RX 6700 this month?

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Again, you have no proof of any the things you claim. You can call it a fantastical lie all you want. There is no issue with tesselation on NBA2K. That is made up BS. Reduced transparencies where and on what game? all if this is anedotal. Go back to the comparisons, and there are videos that show the players sweating more on Xbox then PS5. You've seen both consoles drop frames in different scenarios. Again performance on launch games isn't a beacon of truth,

Sweat is dynamic.
aji2vpq.png

Gamerguy84

I'm just curious if anyone PSN was down for 4 days straight. That's what techradar reported yesterday.

Funny how they mentioned MS was down but more transparent about it. Also brought up the PSN outage of 2011.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

I'm just curious if anyone PSN was down for 4 days straight. That's what they reported yesterday.

Funny how they mentioned MS was down but more transparent about it. Also brought up the PSN outage of 2011.
Weird, I was playing online games for 4 days straight.
Update: As of 1pm GMT/ 5am PT / 8am ET on March 1, PSN is still down. We're having problems playing some games online (but not all games) and the service has been down for more than 24 hours.
Are they full of shit? If it was down they wouldn't be able to sign in.

SlimySnake

I'm just curious if anyone PSN was down for 4 days straight. That's what they reported yesterday.

my son was playing LBP3 online the other day. no issues.

if PSN was down, we wouldve heard about from warzone players.

Gamerguy84

Weird, I was playing online games for 4 days straight.

Update: As of 1pm GMT/ 5am PT / 8am ET on March 1, PSN is still down. We're having problems playing some games online (but not all games) and the service has been down for more than 24 hours.

Are they full of shit? If it was down they wouldn't be able to sign in.

And thus part. WTF techradar. I mean I haven't heard of one.
Monday's ongoing PSN outage actually started a few days ago, according to the company's status page. There's a timestamp attached to the posting, suggesting PSN went down on Friday, February 26. However, user complaints on Twitter seem to predate Sony's official timestamp by at least 24 hours.

It's not clear – judging from Sony's language and our own experiences – how many online games are down right now due to the PSN outage. Xbox Live went down last week and Microsoft disclosed much more granular information on its status page.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Sony gonna respond by shutting down Media Molecule.
I honestly do think, with Japan Studio being downsized, that Media Molecule will get shut down next.

Dreams was shown off when the PS4 was revealed in Feb 2013. It shipped 7 YEARS later lol.

I think Sony would rather just hire Sumo Digital to make another fun Sackboy platformer game.

I've been playing multiple PS4 games online, works fine. Store works too, etc. Weird.

Last edited:

FranXico

Been playing Destiny 2 for the past 4 days. Just played for a couple of hours a moment ago. You'd think the media would do basic fact checking before printing shit.

How can the whole of PSN be down if most games are playable? These guys are idiots.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom