• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamernyc78

Banned
So you are saying DF and every other site that posted that data are fanboys? I think you guys need some perspective and have way too much emotion invested in this.

First and foremost you know I'm specifically talking about ppl on these forums and BTW yes professional are sometimes swayed too and have biases. I think your trying to hard and hold too much weight on sites you think are infallible authority figures when in the past we've seen thy aren't

Last edited:

xool

Did we ever get any evidence that Sony's SSD is anything other than vanilla nVMe on a PCiEx4.0 bus .. ? (I know .. because patents)..

Same question - the 5GB/s figure - any source for that too ??

Reindeer

First and foremost you know I'm specifically talking about ppl on these forums and BTW yes professional are sometomes swayed too off biases. I think your trying to hard and hold too much weight on sites you think are infallible authority figures when in the past we've seen thy aren't
I don't think they're infallible at all, I just think that a person who knows less then them and takes their opinion should not be harshly judged. Now if it's some people who have fanboy tendencies that I don't know about since I'm new here then that's a different story.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That could happen but curiously:

PS3 = 87 million
360 = 84 million
T = 171 million

PS4 = 103 million
XB1 = 47 million
T = 150 million

* wiki estimates that are close enough

Where did the other 21 million users go? PC? Did the home console market shrink?

We are not even into a full 7 years yet. Those were final numbers for 8+ years.

onQ123

6.5 TF lockhart would be much more interesting to 4TF because it would even run xbox x enhanced games as well and not to mention developers can do a lot on 6.5TF navi at 1080p.

But.... but PS5 7.5TF? Not even R600 would be happy 😂😅

The problem with a 6.5TF Lockhart would be that Xbox SX wouldn't be able to match it when playing the same games in 4K

Gamernyc78

Banned
Your belief was based on putting faith in Sony and some of the insiders, the people who disagreed with you had actual data. I agree that data was questionable and inconclusive, but the way you make it sound is like you had cold facts at hand and other people were just making up fantasies.

No One has hard facts except those individual working in those corporations and privy to tht info, don't get it twisted. Secondly don't assume my beliefs are based on Anything other than taking into account all the info and then seeing tht the overwhelming majority has been pointing to Ps5 being more powerful. It's as simple as tht.

Either way this debate is boring and I'm not with this back and forth nonsense.

The reveals should be glorious 😏

Last edited:

DJ12

You don't need to google it, I've 3 Ps4's all loud, I've go2 Xbx's both quiet. Friends and work colleges all experienced the same.

I moved my XbX the other day, i was like woah forgot how heavy it was but it felt like a quality well built item. I moved my Pro it creaked like Spanish Armada. If they were cars it's like jumping out of a luxury German saloon car into a Dacia Sandero.
I also had 4 Xbox 360s and all of them rro'deathed. (After I sold them luckily for me) Some people get lucky doesn't mean shit don't happen.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Damn.. All the way up to E? that's a lot, I wonder what went wrong.. Trouble reaching targets?
you think a console manufacturer will release the first version of a chip? its a silicon with potentially 15 million transistors with an r&d for potentially 1 billion dollars. of course there will be several revisions.

just how many is normal remains to be seen. do we have any data on how many revisions other console chips went through?

Someone put r600 on suicide watch he put all his eggs in Komachi's basket.

Even though one of his other twitter sources said amd were still to deliver a big Navi for Sony...

Guess that's what happens when you only use what suits you story.
Yep, this is what happens when you just run with unconfirmed stuff on the internet rather than just patiently waiting until more details come out. It's even sadder when there are those with console biases (Seriously? Why is this still a thing?) who want to will the specs they want to see to reality.

I have no info. I'm not an insider, but I adamantly believe that there will be no significant difference between the XSX and PS5.

Akuji

nobody right now knows the noise level of the ps5 ... the silicon is not there yet. they are playing around with silicon thats more expensive and bigger to simulate whatever the ps5 will be right now. but what can be optimized and such is not yet fully known. They have an Idea of power consumption and cooling solution. so sure, they can predict it pretty well but not 100% absolute.

Nobody needs to freak out just yet. Everythings gonna be good. AMD has made B I G improvements in CPU and while a GPU is something diffrent, alot can be ported over. For me it seems like GPU department was on low for so long because they wanted to get ps5/xsx chips right. we will get good hardware. reasonable noise levels as well. XBX has set a new bar on quitness, they will have to get to atleast close to that, that goes for both parties.

johnjohn

you think a console manufacturer will release the first version of a chip? its a silicon with potentially 15 million transistors with an r&d for potentially 1 billion dollars. of course there will be several revisions.

just how many is normal remains to be seen. do we have any data on how many revisions other console chips went through?
I'm just reading speculation from other sites and the consensus seems to be that E is an abnormal amount of revisions. Also sounds pretty expensive.

Last edited:
I'm just reading speculation from other sites and the consensus seems to be that E is an abnormal amount of revisions. Also sounds pretty expensive.
As long as the console and it's associated software make back several times the R&D expenditure over the course of the console life cycle (which it likely will), then Sony probably won't care. PlayStation is huge for them. And they likely won't overcommit to unnecessarily exotic hardware in an attempt to usher in a computing paradigm shift.

vpance

Yep, this is what happens when you just run with unconfirmed stuff on the internet rather than just patiently waiting until more details come out. It's even sadder when there are those with console biases (Seriously? Why is this still a thing?) who want to will the specs they want to see to reality.

I have no info. I'm not an insider, but I adamantly believe that there will be no significant difference between the XSX and PS5.

Apart from TF count I think the main differences will be memory type, SSD and RT implementation. Maybe process node too.

Ps5 has been in production since 2015 according to cerny. If you consider that , then it’s not abnormal

In a way, yes. But remember, there were rumors PS5 was coming out in 2019 (possibly to coincide with PS's 25th anniversary (PS1 released in Japan Dec 3, 1994). And also there were some really abrupt departures last year too such as SIE's Shawn Layden (prevailing narrative being disagreements with Jim Ryan). Also there were some reports (maybe even some words directly from Sony) saying there was no need to release PS5 in 2019 thanks to PS4 demand...but does that imply they planned to release it in 2019 at some point? And while it's not necessarily the same thing, Sony did just recently relocate their gaming headquarters to California, taking it out of Japan (this was last year IIRC).

There may be some behind-the-scenes drama going on (or was going on) over there and that might've impacted PS5 development. Considering XSX is more or less the same as PS5 but has way less revisions (that we know of), it does make you wonder if there's been lots of spec revisions because of a delay in PS5 system deployment.

Just speculation, admittedly.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Techpowerup just updated there website with current PS5 and Xbox Series X Specs:
- PS5 from 8GB GDDR6 to “16” GB
- Xbox Series X from 16GB GDDR6 to 24GB
- Xbox Series X from 12 Teraflops to 11.3 Teraflops
iIActem.jpg

The fact that they're live updating it means that they're basing it on changing speculation, these are placeholders and no more. As I'd mentioned in that thread, Techpowerup's GPU database is no objective arbiter, they have standing entries that are wrong, afaik it's one dude trying to keep up with a massive GPU database.

Techpowerup has been wrong several times just in what I've personally seen and submitted corrections for (they didn't know how to calculate Intel GPU flops years ago (8 ALUs to an EU, Intel kinda does themselves no favors when people compare EUs to shaders!), and they still have the wrong (double) numbers for the Wii U GPU shaders and Gflops)

I'd take it these are placeholders. From my emails to "them" it's mostly one dude trying to keep up with a GPU database, last I checked.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
I also had 4 Xbox 360s and all of them rro'deathed. (After I sold them luckily for me) Some people get lucky doesn't mean shit don't happen.
I'd be more surprised if you didn't have a early 360 that didn't ŕrod just like if you had a early ps4 that was not loud. And I'm not saying shit dont happen so I don't really know what point your making.

Edit
Or you saying me and friends and work colleagues all got lucky with quiet xboxes and unlucky with loud Ps4s

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned
The problem with a 6.5TF Lockhart would be that Xbox SX wouldn't be able to match it when playing the same games in 4K
But 4TF lockhart would also limit developers. RT is extremely demanding so I can imagine some developers may want to go for 1440p 30fps instead of 4K even on 12TF anaconda. 6.5TF lockhart would run the same game at 1080p and on top of that it would run every xbox x enhanced game. 4TF lockhart however would have to run the same game at 720p and not to mention it would be too slow for xbox x enhanced games.

Last edited:

Fake

I have the Xbox 360 slim and even for a revision and no sight of RROD, he still destroyed my Left 4 Dead 2 cd. I have to buy another one.

In a way, yes. But remember, there were rumors PS5 was coming out in 2019 (possibly to coincide with PS's 25th anniversary (PS1 released in Japan Dec 3, 1994). And also there were some really abrupt departures last year too such as SIE's Shawn Layden (prevailing narrative being disagreements with Jim Ryan). Also there were some reports (maybe even some words directly from Sony) saying there was no need to release PS5 in 2019 thanks to PS4 demand...but does that imply they planned to release it in 2019 at some point? And while it's not necessarily the same thing, Sony did just recently relocate their gaming headquarters to California, taking it out of Japan (this was last year IIRC).

There may be some behind-the-scenes drama going on (or was going on) over there and that might've impacted PS5 development. Considering XSX is more or less the same as PS5 but has way less revisions (that we know of), it does make you wonder if there's been lots of spec revisions because of a delay in PS5 system deployment.

Just speculation, admittedly.
What you said eventhough speculation , it makes sense . If you are changing the launch date i m sure yiur soc is getting revised accordingly. Klee said decision was taken in 2017 to delay the launch by a year . Ofcourse no one kniws the whole story but sony

44alltheway

So Osiris really didn't drop anything of importance, but hinted that we are getting something significant at CES tonight? At least its close so we will know if he's for real or not.

DJ12

According to someone in RE komachi is surprised by the number of revisions.
That's because they are thinking of it wrong.

Devkit Apu which we know theres at least 2 of. Retail Apu of which there are 2 or 3 and you get your e revision.

Don't forget the 'big navi' chip AMD still had to deliver to Sony from a twitter sauce a month or so ago.

It was ignored as it didn't for the ps5 weak sauce argument but it would appear it's as legit as anything else.

Question is what clock would be required to get a 72 cu Apu to 12 is tflops

Last edited:

Fake

So Osiris really didn't drop anything of importance, but hinted that we are getting something significant at CES tonight? At least its close so we will know if he's for real or not.
The Xbox series X guy will be there, so even if Sony don't show anything probably Microsoft will.

DaGwaphics

Lockhart is the loud one. XSX and PS5 are hot.

Maybe Lockhart is hot? Anything can be hot if you don't prioritize the cooling solution. For all we know, one of these is using a little closed loop WC. This is all about how much did you budget for cooling. Noise isn't a #1 thing for me, I guess I'm from the era of playing from the disk and the noise associated with that. At the same time, I certainly appreciate a quiet console if it exists.

vpance

That doesn't make sense.

If you have a big case you can run bigger fans at a slower speed with bigger heatsinks. With a small case and cheap cooling you're forced to run a higher speed noisier fan to maintain a good CFM.

After Osiris confirmation I feel like Lockhart will be $249. This thing is going to be bare bones.

Last edited:

DJ12

I'd be more surprised if you didn't have a early 360 that didn't ŕrod just like if you had a early ps4 that was not loud. And I'm not saying shit dont happen so I don't really know what point your making.

Edit
Or you saying me and friends and work colleagues all got lucky with quiet xboxes and unlucky with loud Ps4s
Nope I'm saying just because yours is fine doesn't mean all the people saying on the internet that there's have got loud are liars.

Disco_

Microsoft specifically mentioned that the reason the went with their design for Series X was to cool it and make it quite. If Sony is going with traditional small factor design and are packing 11-12 tflops then it's most likely their console that's the loud one again.
Microsoft like to play with words. They still have the cooling for XOX listed as "Xbox One X uses advanced liquid cooling and the supercharger-style centrifugal fan to ensure it stays cool. " Its BS. The dimensions of the tower dictate that biggest fan that would fit in it is a 140mm, and we know there's just 1. The renders also how a limited opening on the bottom for proper air flow velocity. They must be using a big ass piece of copper if his thing is really close to 250-300w as DF suggest.

MadAnon

Komachi is saying one of the SOC from AMD has had an enormous revision E0 .reera thinks its ps5 since thats the soc with most revision/stepping
Just imagine if ps5 is RDNA2 lol
She was talking about the fact that it has gone through so many revisions all the way to E. Not that there are huge changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom