• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
That suuuucks so much!
raw

Last edited:

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
Hey everyone!

We have a live thread for the keynotes here:

Please make sure to utilize it later for Sony’s. That way there isn’t so much unnecessary off topic noise and throwaways in this one.

Guys don't expect much from CES, too much crowded, too much products, why would sony reveal anything PS5 related to be shadowed by other products.
It gonna have it's own shining moment, not at CES.

Shin

Banned
U3Ar07B.png

So RDNA 1 or RDNA 2 ?
Kinda expected as RDNA2 would be really cutting edge, would have been awesome but need to realistic.
That's not a GPU AMD could guarantee to meet SNY/MSFT launch windows, if anything were to remotely go wrong the loss would be in the billions.
Either way I look forward to the absolute power measurement, we know they'll make those boxes sing but I'm interested in console power.

DJ12

I guess next-gen is probably going to use a custom RDNA 1 with some things borrowed from RDNA 2 (like raytracing). Well, 1 gen RDNA is good enough I guess.
RDNA2 exists. Guess the RDNA1 cards are still selling well

Maybe they've ditched the RDNA2 moniker and now only refer to them as RDNA. In fact it wasn't called RDNA2 anyway, it was referred to as Next Gen

Last edited:

Banned
Guys don't expect much from CES, too much crowded, too much products, why would sony reveal anything PS5 related to be shadowed by other products.
It gonna have it's own shining moment, not at CES.

also noone watches CES conferences, by noone I mean noone in the more casul gaming scene.

so with no big announcement beforehand that they will show info about the PS5 this would be a wasted first impression I think.

MAAAAAYBE they will tease something, like show a small teaser where you see basically nothing but a logo at the end and maybe some developers talking.
basically at the level of the Project Scorpio and Project Scarlett teases at E3 with even less info... that's the most I expect

For me it seems that rdna 1 card using 36 compute units is considered by amd the ultimate 1080p card. Arent these the supposed github specs for the ps5? if so then doesnt it confirm that leak is false? how the fuck is gonna be promoting an 4k console when that shit can only be 1080?
Clock speed.

Andodalf

Banned
For me it seems that rdna 1 card using 36 compute units is considered by amd the ultimate 1080p card. Arent these the supposed github specs for the ps5? if so then doesnt it confirm that leak is false? how the fuck is gonna be promoting an 4k console when that shit can only be 1080?
That card is targeting 60+ FPS at Max settings. New consoles will target 4k 60 at lower specs with higher clocks, or 4k at 30fps with max settings

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
XBX and PS4 pro with much weaker GPUs were promoted as 4k consoles.

You’re right.

It’s all about perspective. To a company, you only need to to tick a box as “4K” capable you promote as 4K. XBX had the 4K Blu-ray , can stream at 4K for media, and can play some games at 4K.
PS4 Pro can play some games at 4K.

I can run, I’m capable of physically running, I am not a “Runner”. .. $500 semantics. :)

Raploz

Maybe they've ditched the RDNA2 moniker and now only refer to them as RDNA. In fact it wasn't called RDNA2 anyway, it was referred to as Next Gen

I don't believe that. They'd have shown something about "next gen" RDNA if it was going to release soon. As history shows, it's pretty obvious to me RDNA 2 (or next-gen) is not gonna be in the new consoles, only a hybrid between 1 and 2 gen. If they didn't talk about it today it's bacause it's not ready and I don't think it will be ready on time for next-gen at the end of the year. As far as I know it takes a long time to change chips (send new devkits, prototypes, validation, etc.). They'd need RDNA 2 ready by now if the wanted it in the new consoles, and I haven't heard any rumors about the new consoles being RDNA2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom