• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evilms

Banned
The only interesting thing during this ugly keynote is :

ENoYYWiXsAcv7Jy

Raploz

Guys, don't worry about 8K, no developers on their right mind would push for 8K res. They are only saying the consoles can output that res, not that games will target 8K (maybe an indie game, but nothing big).

LordOfChaos

Xbox One already has 2 HDMIs mate. HDMI in and out.

I assume they're not trying to do the media center thing again though? If that's all this is then yeah, not a big deal, I thought they were done with that and this would be dual outputs.

Reactions: TLZ

Kdad

That looks like a cheapo power board or internal power supply from electronics like servers that are over a decade old.
Lol...I know...but its the same Patrick cleaning dude on the same day as the devkit photos...dudes a cleaning machine.

Mass Shift

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Soooo... Techpower up is now putting the Xbox @ 11.32 TFLOPS - Let the backpedal begin - https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/xbox-series-x-gpu.c3482

Read the notes...
ghGC6Vp.png

When will we be done with this techpowerup placeholder, they should never have put it ahead of actual known specs. SeX die is a big boi (I think ~401mm2) and I believe it's on the higher end of power, but this techpowerup post means as little as a fart in the wind for now, it's based on everything we too can see, not anything we don't know.

Last edited:

Dane

Yeah, 2 HDMI? Back to the early PS3 ideas! And single system "system link" possible.

Time to whip out two back to back CRTs and order pizza, back to the good old days

lan-party.jpg.w560h420.jpg

All Xbox One models have two HDMI, one act as a passthrough for other devices (aka: The TV stuff)

Not entirely sure what people were expecting from AMD's press conference.

Ryzen 4000 Mobile (Renoir) is the biggest news out there for AMD. They absolutely dicked Intel in desktop with Zen 2 and know they've brought that performance and efficiency to the one market Intel felt safe in - laptops. That 4800U/H is a killer part. Icelake was faster than Picasso in terms of CPU, but its much vaunted iGPU was still slower than that of Picasso. Now with Renoir, they're level with Icelake in CPU, and have absolutely dumpstered Icelake's gen 11 graphics.
This is huge news for AMD.
This is fantastic news for mobile computing.

They'll announce Navi 2x when its ready. In fact I wouldn't rule out them sitting on RDNA 2 until Nvidia unveils Ampere, just so they can rain on their parade in the same way Nvidia has done to them for so many years.
But as a chip-maker that fell to depths of Bulldozer, to now be absolutely fucking Intel in CPU - not just on desktop and datacentre, but in Intel's bread and butter; notebooks. Well that's something.

Imtjnotu

Ryzen 4000 Mobile (Renoir) is the biggest news out there for AMD. They absolutely dicked Intel in desktop with Zen 2 and know they've brought that performance and efficiency to the one market Intel felt safe in - laptops. That 4800U/H is a killer part. Icelake was faster than Picasso in terms of CPU, but its much vaunted iGPU was still slower than that of Picasso. Now with Renoir, they're level with Icelake in CPU, and have absolutely dumpstered Icelake's gen 11 graphics.

They'll announce Navi 2x when its ready. In fact I wouldn't rule out them sitting on RDNA 2 until Nvidia unveils Ampere, just so they can rain on their parade in the same way Nvidia has done to them for so many years.
But as a chip-maker that fell to depths of Bulldozer, to now be absolutely fucking Intel in CPU - not just on desktop and datacentre, but in Intel's bread and butter; notebooks. Well that's something.
So could that 36 cu Gpu be all the benchmarks we've been seeing lately?.

Banned
All Xbox One models have two HDMI, one act as a passthrough for other devices (aka: The TV stuff)

the drastically reduced support for that. so it could be 2 HDMi out ports.

and honestly, 2 screen "splitscreen" would be a great feature and wouldn't be hard to pull off at all.

take Halo for example. that's pretty much guaranteed to run at 4k60. now reduce that to 2x 1080p60 (and maybe reduced effects and render distance etc.) and split it to 2 screens.

I honestly would love such a feature and absolutely use it... but I would need a new 5m HDMi cable tho to get that signal to my PC screen. 😅

Reindeer

4800H is a Monster, it performs on par with desktop CPUs.

Last edited:
So could that 36 cu Gpu be all the benchmarks we've been seeing lately?.

For the time being. There may of course be leaks. I'd say its either Computex or they'll wait on Nvidia's Ampere announcement. The lack of anything in he 4K segment of gaming might just bait Nvidia into blowing their load a little earlier in attempt to claim the high end for themselves once again.

Could next gen consoles use some of 5600xt variant?

Why would they use a massive cut down card, with a gimped memory controller and reduced frequencies....? Its still the Navi 10 die, just a really bad bin.

THE:MILKMAN

Why would they use a massive cut down card, with a gimped memory controller and reduced frequencies....? Its still the Navi 10 die, just a really bad bin.

This is where I'm getting confused and remain on the fence at how powerful the consoles will be.

The 5600XT is a 150W TBP 7.2TF card that boosts to 1.5GHz and has 6GB (slower) RAM on a 192-bit bus. XSX is is said to sport 12TF, 16GB RAM, 320-bit bus? clock at ~1.7GHz?, have 56 RT CUs and a 8c16t Zen2 at ~3.5GHz (plus all other bits that make a console!) All while possibly being limited to a 250W PSU (C8 connector limit) meaning an ~200W power consumption. It doesn't quite add up for me right now but we'll see how things pan out.

So far, 40 cu is the limit to next gen consoles. Rdna 1.
?????????

Currently, the largest RDNA1 chip produced has 40CU certainly, but there's no stopping AMD making a bigger chip.

This is where I'm getting confused and remain on the fence at how powerful the consoles will be.

The 5600XT is a 150W TBP 7.2TF card that boosts to 1.5GHz and has 6GB (slower) RAM on a 192-bit bus. XSX is is said to sport 12TF, 16GB RAM, 320-bit bus? clock at ~1.7GHz?, have 56 RT CUs and a 8c16t Zen2 at ~3.5GHz (plus all other bits that make a console!) All while possibly being limited to a 250W PSU (C8 connector limit) meaning an ~200W power consumption. It doesn't quite add up for me right now but we'll see how things pan out.

Who said it has to be limited to 250W? It'll probably be 350W...maybe even more.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom