• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethomaz

Banned

1579093350-sans-titre.png

Where is Death Stranding and Destiny? :pie_thinking:

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Personally, i think Last of Us is the most overrated game of all time, but DS doesnt hold a candle to any of those games in terms of quality or popularity. Destiny I could see, in terms of popularity, but it was never as good as those games (except TLOU imo).
Well Death Stranding is in my list of the best games I ever played in terms of quality and gameplay.
TLOU and Destiny are in my list too.
Destiny is a special case because it changed my gaming life... it was the first game to that with me.

;)

ethomaz

Banned
Odd enough being published yesterday.

Patent History
Patent number
: 10534395
Type: Grant
Filed: Sep 12, 2017
Date of Patent: Jan 14, 2020
Patent Publication Number: 20180004243
Assignee: SONY INTERACTIVE ENTERTAINMENT LLC (San Mateo, CA)
Inventors: Mark Evan Cerny (Los Angeles, CA), David Simpson (Los Angeles, CA)
Primary Examiner: Vincent H Tran
Application Number: 15/701,736

Last edited:

Patent History
Patent number

Nice find! Looking at it, Mark and David have a ton of patents out there and a lot have to do with backwards compatibility so it will be real interesting to see if this includes the PS1-PS3 era as well when they finally reveal the PS5! February can't get here soon enough!

https://patents.justia.com/inventor/mark-evan-cerny

FranXico

Nice find! Looking at it, Mark and David have a ton of patents out there and a lot have to do with backwards compatibility so it will be real interesting to see if this includes the PS1-PS3 era as well when they finally reveal the PS5! February can't get here soon enough!

https://patents.justia.com/inventor/mark-evan-cerny
The method described in that patent is only useful for PS4 BC. PS1-PS3 era games would be done via software emulation.

Last edited:
The method described in that patent is only useful for PS4 BC. PS1-PS3 era games would be done via software emulation.

I had a feeling that is the route they would have to go, but trying to emulate a PS3 without any issues is near impossible at this time IMO due to its architeture, which sucks because there are a few games on there I would love to fire up and play without having to re-connect my old PS3!

ethomaz

Banned
Are PS1 games on PS3 via software emulation?
Which PS3?
The launch PS3 had the emotion engine so the emulation was done via hardware.
The follow PS3 is all software emulation.

That is about using the PS1/PS2 disc on PS3.

PSN Classic is all emulation.

Last edited:

Zefros

Neo Member
These types of balls i approve on a girl ❤
Next GOW? Seems like Barlog got his way and it will focus on kratos and how he met his wife in the new world?
That sounds more like a spinoff rather than GOW2. They could take that route like with the old games on psp.

Are PS1 games on PS3 via software emulation?
Which PS3?
The launch PS3 had the emotion engine so the emulation was done via hardware.
The follow PS3 is all software emulation.

That is about using the PS1/PS2 disc on PS3.

PSN Classic is all emulation.

Launch PS3 did PS2 games with actual hardware and PS1 games with emulation I had though, the only reason the PS2 had hardware BC with PS1 was because the IO controller for the CD/DVD drive used the original PS1 processor, but since the PS3 has its own IO controller I am sure that was not included on the PS3, I think the PS3 only had the CPU/EE of the PS2 on the launch model and not the IO controller from the PS2 (which would be the PS1 processor) so that would have to be emulated. From my understanding, below is the chip they had in the launch PS3 for PS2 BC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Scph79001_eegeram.jpg

653px-Scph79001_eegeram.jpg

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

If i have to make a guess, the consoles will probably be around 11 tf of power. Personally i will 100% buy the ps5 because of BC. I have around 162 ps4 games ( including free ps+ games). This might however be the first time i i buy both consoles 😅.
Indeed. MS exclusives will definitely not merely amount to halo, gears, forza and 2-3 games anymore ...

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Patent History
Patent number
Regarding B/C this Patent for it was back in 2017.

Seems there's some extra info here:

you do realize you are posting a screenshot of a user who posted this just a few minutes ago in this VERY thread.

ethomaz

Banned
Launch PS3 did PS2 games with actual hardware and PS1 games with emulation I had though, the only reason the PS2 had hardware BC with PS1 was because the IO controller for the CD/DVD drive used the original PS1 processor, but since the PS3 has its own IO controller I am sure that was not included on the PS3, I think the PS3 only had the CPU/EE of the PS2 on the launch model and not the IO controller from the PS2 (which would be the PS1 processor) so that would have to be emulated. From my understanding, below is the chip they had in the launch PS3 for PS2 BC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Scph79001_eegeram.jpg

653px-Scph79001_eegeram.jpg
That is the first batch of PS3 only.
The second batch had another chip only with the GS... EE was software emulated.
After that all models had everything emulated.

Imo non sense . They r saying 40 cu at 2 ghz. This defeat the purpose of being 400 due to yield being very difficult. Imo Sony used 40 cu for dev kits while waiting for big Navi to be ready as amd big Navi is just in production now . Which is getting ready and hence we saw ms show the chip last week. That’s why MS had no dev kits with devs and Sony had few iterations .

That’s my opinion. Sony didn’t wait for big Navi as their big Navi was being prepared .they wanted devs to get familiar with ssd and new tools in the mean time while their chip was getting ready.

If they wanted 40 cu they could have launched in 2019 as it was available tech.
Thank God for you. If you really do the research it is the only thing that makes since right now. I may have had lots of varied thoughts due to changes but this makes the most practical since. Especially after seeing the Big Navi news as of recent. These are the first cards with raytracing hardware from them too.

You have to wonder what the reaction would have been if MS announced they were leaving E3.

I think we already know xD. The double-standard is real. At least I'm consistent about it; I gave Nintendo crap when they stopped doing E3, too. And I'd have a negative opinion of MS skipped it altogether. It just happens to be Sony doing it now, maybe after a few more years I'll get used to them being an E3 no-show.

Ps5 now at 10.25 TF, reveal early February.

Doesn't the 10.25 TF rumor come from turning on all 40CUs at 2GHz clocks? Which is 10.24 by the way, not 10.25.

I can't see them realistically hitting those numbers without risking some RROD situation. Or having a super-expensive cooling solution in place. So we'd either get a $399 PS5 closer to 9.2-9.7 TF territory or a 10.24TF PS5 potentially priced near XSX pricing levels.

Speaking of which, where did the 11.3 TF XSX rumors come from? Going by the size of the APU it likely has 60CUs with 4 disabled, for 56 active. Why would they need to clock the GPU around 1.58GHz with those 56 CUs active? That looks way too conservative given the design of the system they've shown off. Very likely they could easily hit closer to 1.7-1.75GHz comfortably with the cooling XSX seems to be using, if not higher than that (they'd probably make the cutoff at 1.8GHz if they wanted to push clocks).

11.3 would imply they either have the GPU clocked insanely low (that thing isn't a small console so why clock it that low?), or they're disabling more than 4CUs (seems redundant; they can reach their yields quota with just 4 disabled). I don't even know if those latest PS5 and XSX numbers had any extensive thought put behind them for how the respective chips would reach them (and if it made logical sense to do).

Last edited:
That is the first batch of PS3 only.
The second batch had another chip only with the GS... EE was software emulated.
After that all models had everything emulated.

Yes, that chip was only in the launch model PS3, they removed it when they revised the model to reduce cost, which after that the PS2 BC went away and PS1 BC was only available because of emulation. Maybe by the time the PS6 or PS7 come out (if they come out) they can just put a FPGA into the system for true BC of the PS1-PS3 systems, kind of like Analogue does with their retro systems.

Last edited:
Thank God for you. If you really do the research it is the only thing that makes since right now. I may have had lots of varied thoughts due to changes but this makes the most practical since. Especially after seeing the Big Navi news as of recent. These are the first cards with raytracing hardware from them too.
yes .5700 and 5700XT core are not compatible with AMD ray tracing and VRS.

Last edited:
Ahhh yes I forget about that. Sue me 🤣

It does suck seeing similar numbers even though the PS5/XBSX should be more powerful because of RDNA, but to a regular conumer that knows nothing about to technical specs they will just look at numbers and assume the Stadia is just as good as PS5/XBSX, which it hopefully won't be (at least until they upgrade the hardware at Google).

It does suck seeing similar numbers even though the PS5/XBSX should be more powerful because of RDNA, but to a regular conumer that knows nothing about to technical specs they will just look at numbers and assume the Stadia is just as good as PS5/XBSX, which it hopefully won't be (at least until they upgrade the hardware at Google).
to be fair, those consumers dont even look for the TF. its only us , the obssesed gamers, who know the difference :messenger_grinning:

Nickolaidas

Hellblade 2 is my bighest reason for getting the next xbox. I loved the first one.

What is your take on nextgen? So many rumours and so called leaks.
Glorious. It's going to be glorious.

Next gen visuals with 8/16 bit loading times.

It'll feel like playing old arcade games, but looking like movies.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom