• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't Osiris also say a fortnight before Zhuge did? Also that other guy posting about a new york vacation conveniently happening on Feb 5th. I'm not discounting the date yet.

But yes if it really was just a joke then it was a dick move by Zhuge since he knows people are on the lookout for PS5 info.

I'm fairly certain he was referencing that Star Wars thing where part of TRoS was in Fortnite.

I can't say I blame him for not immediately thinking people would think Fortnite is code for Fortnight AKA 14 days until the reveal. That's some tinfoil hat thinking that people will pull from anywhere.

ZywyPL

Banned
I'm extremely curious to see how Sony will use that extra SSD speed. That's too big of a gap in performance for the primary benefit to just be slightly faster load times.

The question is how well the CPU will be able to handle those insane R/W speeds and IOPS. You can already install a SAT3 SSD into PS4 Pro, but it has the same performance as in the base model with SATA2, and going further - both models perform the same whether you put an SSD or SSHD inside them, that's just how much (little?) the CPU can handle. And this might be the case this time around too, where on paper one SSD will be twice as fast, but in reality the CPUs will even the performance.

That's what I was talking about some time agon, those so called insiders never give any insight, only show up when some actual leak/rumor appears on the web to put their comment on it.

The question is how well the CPU will be able to handle those insane R/W speeds and IOPS. You can already install a SAT3 SSD into PS4 Pro, but it has the same performance as in the base model with SATA2, and going further - both models perform the same whether you put an SSD or SSHD inside them, that's just how much (little?) the CPU can handle. And this might be the case this time around too, where on paper one SSD will be twice as fast, but in reality the CPUs will even the performance.

Would there even be a point to having that fast of an SSD if the CPU will just bottleneck it though?

Genuine question. I don't follow PC components, so I wasn't sure if Sony might just be using a faster SSD tech for reasons of cost, etc...

Gamernyc78

Banned
A multi-million dollar business between 2 of the most powerful companies on the planet .... MS knows the specifications of PS5, and Sony the Xbox SX. It has people who charge for knowing that.

Some ppl on here really don't believe some of these companies pay for ppl to find out info about their competitors, pay reviewers to fix scores, pay to drum up a propoganda machine, etc...

It's not conspiracy theories, all through the years corporations are known to do the craziest shit. It amazes me how naive ppl can be sometimes lol.

Do I think thy know final gpu specs nahhhh bcus tht is probably only known by a few high suits in each company but thy know enough about eachother

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Would there even be a point to having that fast of an SSD if the CPU will just bottleneck it though?

Genuine question. I don't follow PC components, so I wasn't sure if Sony might just be using a faster SSD tech for reasons of cost, etc...

Depends, if it's strictly a software solution that gives Sony such a rumored edge, then why not, it wouldn't cost them a single cent. Hardware solution? Still, there has to be a controller somewhere on the board anyway, so whether they'd build that part of silicone themselves or buy from someone else, the cost would still be rather similar. Bottom line is, consoles have never been a fully balanced systems, there has always been a part that's a serious bottleneck for the rest of the components, or a part that exceeded the actual needs of the whole system, so I wouldn't be surprised at all is PS5 SSD would be a part that's overpowered.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
Yes it does. Far less pop in if at all, and much faster LOD and texture loading so it is a less noticeable transition.

You are going from slow ass mechanical's having to feed RAM with larger assets than the transfer speed, to assets lower in size than the transfer speeds feeding RAM in an optimized ultra fast SSD setup.

This is false. Wont expand onto this since Ive already talked about it on the “uh oh xsx ssd is half dick size of ps5” thread, but dont trick yourself that ssd is key for anything but load times(which is a really important subject, btw).

ethomaz

Banned
Other forum started to talk about Sony having issues with their chip and so that a delay could happen.

How much time to popup a news article from some website talking about possible PS5 delay???

Ellery

Other forum started to talk about Sony having issues with their chip and so that a delay could happen.

How much time to popup a news article from some website talking about possible PS5 delay???

A perfect precursor for fake insiders to use as an excuse if nothing happens in February.

How convenient

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Its what I have been saying awhile now the PS5 SSD is faster by a nice margin plus their RT is more "elegant" is the word I was told.

Lunch time guesses.
Of course it is. The twitter's dude is just repeating what he read on GAF or others places.

Last edited:

44alltheway

Well even if it happens (or doesn't to a lesser extent) it's no confirmation that they were true or right or had real information.
Historically speaking the last time a PS console was revealed it happened in February and there is only so much more time left in this year before the console is actually releasing.
We can also eliminate the possibility that Sony would wait until late in the year to reveal the PS5 and that only leaves us with a handful of months where something actually could be happening.

If nothing happens in February then some new insider will claim something is going down in March, then April, then May and so on. Eventually someone will be right.

I am not trying to be dismissive of insiders or people that claim to be. I can understand that some people have some sort of ties to people in the industry and may have overheard whispers or something.

But to be completely honest when was the last time an actual insider with actual information about consoles gave us something concrete(and specific) that was previously unknown and it turned out to be spot on?

Before I go on was there anything specific that either of those individuals said or was it just being vague about "something happening in february" ?
At this point, I put more faith in Klee because he puts out more straightforward leaks (like talking about the Xbox reveal and VRS) while Osiris has been using vague statements. when he says something vague, he never explains it until something is revealed. It's hard to tell if whatever piece of news that comes out was what he was hinting at or he lucked into it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This is false. Wont expand onto this since Ive already talked about it on the “uh oh xsx ssd is half dick size of ps5” thread, but dont trick yourself that ssd is key for anything but load times(which is a really important subject, btw).
trump-you-are-fake-news.gif

splattered

Its what I have been saying awhile now the PS5 SSD is faster by a nice margin plus their RT is more "elegant" is the word I was told.

Lunch time guesses.

Funny I have a friend who used to work for Sony selling the Vaio line of laptops before they were discontinued... I would ask him "How in the world do you justify the pricetag of those machines when the product is built out of the same components and provides the same performance as its competitors?"

And once he said "Well we just tell our prospective customers that this is a more elegant solution."

Made me laugh.

onQ123

The fact that you think a SSD in a console will only be about load times tells me that you don't know as much as you think you do

Gediminas

Banned

"May/may not" is very fishy. so he is hinting towards may maybe, and that show is not going to be prioritize for gamers? so real PS5 reveal is earlier?

There's way more to it that just loading times. It can mean having a much larger game world, farther render distances etc

Not really. I think folks are starting to exaggerate this stuff due to a lack of understanding of the technology. Will faster be better? Absolutely. Will it cripple game design to only have a very good NVME SSD designed for a single console spec? No.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom