• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this is where the battle line next gen will be drawn.

Xbox tag line "The most powerful console"

PS5 "The fastest console"

Have been hearing awhile now the PS5 had a very fast SSD advantage over XsX.

Though I think the only games that will really take advantage of it will be Sony 1st party titles.

Early morning guesses.
is 11 TF or above, a safe guess for PS5?or below 11TF?

Banned

Though I think the only games that will really take advantage of it will be Sony 1st party titles.

Early morning guesses.

well that's pretty obvious, only games that are PS5 exclusive and plan on staying exclusive for a while can take advantage of the SSD in any meaningful way.
in 99% of all games this might result in a 2 second load time advantage at most.

even some games on PC if played from a pretty mid tier SSD have such fast load times that any improvement would only register as a minor step up

on my SSD the PC version of Rage 2 takes 2 seconds or less for fast travel across the map... if a super fast SSD would bring that down to 1 second that wouldn't even really register honestly

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
Typical comments like "balanced console" bs lol like we saw last gen from fans, Twitter warriors and execs 😂😂😂 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

They get an E for effort though, thy definitely may not be consistent other places but definitely with damage control (speaking of fans, Twitter monsters, as well as some mouth pieces for the comp) through the gens thy don't let up lol.

Damage control at best :D

And you comment about Xbox One and X being abandoned couldn't be more wrong as Microsoft pledged support for them for at least a year with their first party games.
Man you can't chill at all can you - I've pretty much scrolled past your threads being irrate. They're not just Xbox or Sony fans, we are all just people. Just like I like thin crust more than deep dish. That doesnt make me a "thin crust person". You don't even see that you're any different from the other fans. You are coming off as exactly what irritates you. You get irritated at just about any MS remark. They truly have been bad in the past period but are on a new come up which I like. I can afford whatever system because I get off my !@@ and went to college to make a life besides arguing on here. We are all here to have fun and try to receive good information. You are a cool dude - I'm just saying let people say what they say. This is the problem with our country. Defending people and brands from outside of the castle. We don't understand anything like we believe. One of my best friends works for MS here in Chicago and we laugh about this all day. Hope you see what I mean. Defend your beliefs but also know when you are starting to foam at the mouth.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
Man you can't chill at all can you - I've pretty much scrolled past your threads being irrate. They're not just Xbox or Sony fans, we are all just people. Just like I like thin crust more than deep dish. That doesnt make me a "thin crust person". You don't even see that you're any different from the other fans. You are coming off as exactly what irritates you. You get irritated at just about any MS remark. They truly have been bad in the past period but are on a new come up which I like. I can afford whatever system because I get off my !@@ and went to college to make a life besides arguing on here. We are all here to have fun and try to receive good information. You are a cool dude - I'm just saying let people say what they say. This is the problem with our country. Defending people and brands from outside of the castle. We don't understand anything like we believe. One of my best friends works for MS here in Chicago and we laugh about this all day. Hope you see what I mean. Defend your beliefs but also know when you are starting to foam at the mouth.

"foam at the mouth" 😂 😂 😂 😂 👀👀🤤🤤🤤

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
LOD got nothing to with SSDs...

Yes it does. Far less pop in if at all, and much faster LOD and texture loading so it is a less noticeable transition.

You are going from slow ass mechanical's having to feed RAM with larger assets than the transfer speed, to assets lower in size than the transfer speeds feeding RAM in an optimized ultra fast SSD setup.

xool

Yes, it's a good thing to bear in mind. Loading will be so much faster, it won't really matter which console beats the other by a few milliseconds.

If you want to traverse a world at high speed it could make a huge difference -eg flying over landscape - in those cases the whole scene can change in ~1sec or a few seconds - if load times aren't good enough then it could actually limit top speed ..

..pretty sure that was the reason for slow traversal in HZD for example this gen ..

But in most cases 2GB/s would be more than enough for streaming assest hopefully

Last edited:

Reindeer

Np, I just block these fanboys from now on so I won't get irritated. Easy solution.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If you want to traverse a world at high speed it could make a huge difference -eg flying over landscape - in those cases the whole scene can change in ~1sec or a few seconds - if load times aren't good enough then it could actually limit top speed ..

..pretty sure that was the reason for slow traversal in HZD for example this gen ..

But in most casts 2GB/s would be more than enough for streaming assest hopefully

Spider-Man demo showed this off as one of the features.

Fake

I still can't understand people about loading times on open world. Crash Team Racing have a stupid loading time for a quite simple game.
Who played CTR on PS4/Xbox know that.

xool

Hopefully developers sort out some of their jank regarding load times and don't do nothing because SSD got faster.

Witcher 3 was a prime example of this - a world with ~0 destructability .. but die and the game seems to load the entire fucking thing (even when it reloads you in the exact same spot).. when all it needs to do is load character states, and shop inventories etc ..

Last edited:

demigod

I still can't understand people about loading times on open world. Crash Team Racing have a stupid loading time for a quite simple game.
Who played CTR on PS4/Xbox know that.

It took me 30secs to load a zone in DBZ: Kakarot and there is a lot of zoning and yeah I also saw popins like RIGHT IN MY FACE twice. I'm like wtf is this shit, cause I'm playing on PS4 Pro with SSD. Can't wait for PS5..........

Ellery

is 11 TF or above, a safe guess for PS5?or below 11TF?

Well a guess is a guess, but 11TF and above is definitely not safe.

If you want a "100% safe guess" then take between 6-18 TF. The PS5 will definitely fall somewhere between there. Obviously the chance of the PS5 being 6TF or 18TF are about a slim as Kate Beckinsale randomly deciding to visit me with a nice bucket of KFC, but you never know !

On a more serious note it is always best to go with lower expectations, because not long from now a lot of people are going to be disappointed and that is just due to them reducing a console to a single factor (GPU TFLOPS).

The way I do it is to have an educated guess based on available hardware,actual information that was shared, and a sprinkle of rumors from more reliable sources and not some random twitter people trying to be vague because they know jack shit and afterwards they can say "see I told you guys to look out for the magic duck that appears on the fourth moon of the aquatic cycle when two giants crosses a path".

So for me I take Navi as a basis, look at the usual power usage of a console and what a theoretical cpu/gpu/apu/ram/storage solution could look like given that and I am somewhere around 10TF give or take 20%.

At the end of the day you should also always be skeptical about what other people write in regards to their motives. Some people just want to watch Drama unfold and are purposefully writing that they would be "disappointed if the PS5 is not going to be atleast 13TF". This happens on both sides and wrong information used to manipulate is a dangerous thing. People are basically trying to set an unreachable standard for something that is going to take place in the future and if that is below the standard they try to claim victory.

Stay open minded, but don't expect too much. Reality often is more disappointing than the fantasies we create in our heads.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Driveclub also had crazy fast loading time on my PS4 Pro, it takes like 10 sec and bam im already racing. Next gen is looking good for both consoles. Message is clear, super fast and high end graphics with ray tracing.

DrDamn

Driveclub also had crazy fast loading time on my PS4 Pro, it takes like 10 sec and bam im already racing. Next gen is looking good for both consoles. Message is clear, super fast and high end graphics with ray tracing.

It was one of their key design goals. Stuff like restarts - even for point to point races - had to be quick. That should be achievable for more Devs, more games and more genres next gen.

Ellery

So this Fabruary 5 date was fake news?

Well fake insiders and clickbaiters don't count as news when they read too much into random tweets, but yes it most certainly means that nothing is happening on Feb 5th.
Of course it could be coincidentally still happen at that day, but we have no real reason to believe so.

Early morning guesses.

If Xbox were the most powerful console they would have already exploited it at the advertising level, instead they have used the term "Xbox more powerful".

splattered

When I said sony is starving us and feeding us scraps I wasn't just trolling... really feels like they are starving their fanbase for information so everyone stampedes into the stores to buy a PS5 regardless of price or power because they treated us like the red headed step child that wasn't given the attention they so desperately needed haha

well they might not know for sure themselves. it's not like Sony just tells them exact specs for the PS5 just for fun. and they said that not even Mojang has a PS5 dev kit yet

A multi-million dollar business between 2 of the most powerful companies on the planet .... MS knows the specifications of PS5, and Sony the Xbox SX. It has people who charge for knowing that.

Ellery

Damn so both Klee and Osiris put their eggs in a February PS reveal, and both decided to disappear until the reveal event takes place. Lets see if their 'leaks' were true, or if they're full of shit.

Well even if it happens (or doesn't to a lesser extent) it's no confirmation that they were true or right or had real information.
Historically speaking the last time a PS console was revealed it happened in February and there is only so much more time left in this year before the console is actually releasing.
We can also eliminate the possibility that Sony would wait until late in the year to reveal the PS5 and that only leaves us with a handful of months where something actually could be happening.

If nothing happens in February then some new insider will claim something is going down in March, then April, then May and so on. Eventually someone will be right.

I am not trying to be dismissive of insiders or people that claim to be. I can understand that some people have some sort of ties to people in the industry and may have overheard whispers or something.

But to be completely honest when was the last time an actual insider with actual information about consoles gave us something concrete(and specific) that was previously unknown and it turned out to be spot on?

Before I go on was there anything specific that either of those individuals said or was it just being vague about "something happening in february" ?

When I said sony is starving us and feeding us scraps I wasn't just trolling... really feels like they are starving their fanbase for information so everyone stampedes into the stores to buy a PS5 regardless of price or power because they treated us like the red headed step child that wasn't given the attention they so desperately needed haha
They're not starving anyone of anything. We're just uncommonly thirsty for any scrap of information. In the grand scheme of things, we represent a vanishing fraction of the PlayStation user base.
They really shouldn't be changing their marketing strategy reactively based on what Microsoft does or what a tiny minority of Muppets on an internet forum want. That's weaksauce in the business world. That suggests that they are insecure of their position.
Just cause there are a few donuts concern trolling about the lack of a constant feed of information, doesn't mean they should throw their entire strategy in the bin. Apple doesn't just decide to reveal their next iPhone just cause there a bunch of thirsty fuckwits online or just because Samsung unveiled their next smartphone or because some of their shit got leaked. They stay on schedule and deliver on their own terms.

Sony have a plan and they should stick to it. Can't deal with the wait? Tough shit.

R600

Banned
Didn't Osiris also say a fortnight before Zhuge did? Also that other guy posting about a new york vacation conveniently happening on Feb 5th. I'm not discounting the date yet.

But yes if it really was just a joke then it was a dick move by Zhuge since he knows people are on the lookout for PS5 info.
Zhuge said Fortnite. As in game, not 2 weeks.

We should trust our insiders like Osiris and Klee when they say 5th of February and end of February.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

tenor.gif

R600

Banned
Damn so both Klee and Osiris put their eggs in a February PS reveal, and both decided to disappear until the reveal event takes place. Lets see if their 'leaks' were true, or if they're full of shit.
February was pretty straightforward to guess. They wont have PS meeting few months before actual release, so that effectively means July/Aug/Sept/Oct/Nov/Dec are no go.

January was too early and June is E3, makes no sense to leave it for that when you are not at E3. Therefore, their chaces were good, especially if taking into account history, but sure would be funny to fall flat on such a miss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom