• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethomaz

Banned
So much for Zen 3 and Arturos rumors

Note: Interesting how both MS/AMD mentioned hw RT and Sony didn't
Sony said that.

“The GPU, a custom variant of Radeon’s Navi family, will support ray tracing, a technique that models the travel of light to simulate complex interactions in 3D environments.”

Last edited:

Fake

RIP ZEN 3
RIP ARTUROS
RIP PS5 NAVI EXCLUSIVE
RIP 8TF?
pressf.jpg

vpance

I meant the words: hardware accelerated
Most likely they didnt because AMD didnt anounce Navi yet at the time?

Wired said:
The GPU, a custom variant of Radeon’s Navi family, will support ray tracing, a technique that models the travel of light to simulate complex interactions in 3D environments. While ray tracing is a staple of Hollywood visual effects and is beginning to worm its way into high-end processors and Nvidia's recently announced RTX line, no game console has been able to manage it. Yet.

Sounds like it's done in the HW to me.

LordOfChaos

So where did the 2GB/s for the Scarlett SSD came from?

imo people were reading too much into the 40x faster thing, multiplied from 50MB/s.

We don't know what that really means, peak transfer speeds, load times, CPU considerations, if it's considering the peak or sustained rate of the HDD, etc etc. Wouldn't put too exact a number on it.

I finally saw the video. lol

So they said the SSD acts like RAM... and 40x the speed... since this gen the HDDs were rated at 100MB/s.... it should be a 4GB/s bandwidth as well, likely the same as PS5, no?

Why were people saying 2GB/s?

Evilms Evilms that's likely 99% certain, lol. And 24GB sounds pretty good imo.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I finally saw the video. lol

So they said the SSD acts like RAM... and 40x the speed... since this gen the HDDs were rated at 100MB/s.... it should be a 4GB/s bandwidth as well, likely the same as PS5, no?

Evilms Evilms that's likely 99% certain, lol. And 24GB sounds pretty good imo.
Yeah not sure what people are getting the 2 GB per second from

So Scarlett 24GB GDDR6, and PS5 16GB HBM2 at 880GB/s (old Osiris rumor)?

MS probably want to keep things simple on architectural side, so they can just swap out some chips with less RAM for the cut down Lockhart version, thus going with GDDR6.
I doubt Sony would be able to get enough HBM2 chips to do 16gb for 1 million consoles by launch. HBM2 has very low production volume and very high demand that Samsung even said that even if they doubled production they still wouldn't meet demand for it. Even with bin chips I doubt Samsung can fulfill that order. If that rumour is true then Sony could be using 4gb bin HBM2 chips as low latency ram for tasks that benefits from low latency over bandwidth with GDDR6 for everything else.

That 4x over the X1X is such bullshit though. How did they arrive to that number? That being said 2GB/s would put it far below the expected speed of sony's SSD. Which according to Cerny has to be 4GB/s+ since we can't buy those yet
Yeah, 4 GB/s will cut loading times in half, which is the most serious advantage Sony has right now.

I can see it being thrown around a lot in DF comparisons, with resolution/fps differences taking a back seat this time around.

Regarding the 4x GPU difference, it must be some kind of RDNA magic.

And if you think about it, Xbox Scarlett is 18x (6 TF / 1.31 TF = 4.58x * 4x = 18x) compared to OG XB1 (since that's the dev baseline, not X1X). Pretty impressive, eh?

KfJqaGm.png

500 GB 5400 RPM (current-gen storage baseline) can indeed reach 100 MB/s in the outer tracks, but speeds are capped in consoles to accommodate OS needs (downloads, PVR etc.)

demigod

Yeah, 4 GB/s will cut loading times in half, which is the most serious advantage Sony has right now.

I can see it being thrown around a lot in DF comparisons, with resolution/fps differences taking a back seat this time around.

Regarding the 4x GPU difference, it must be some kind of RDNA magic.

They never mentioned the 4x as GPU difference, its a combination of the CPU+GPU.

They never mentioned the 4x as GPU difference, its a combination of the CPU+GPU.
That doesn't make any sense. Why would they count CPU flops?

Do they also count fixed-function logic (TMUs, ROPs) like they did back in the 7th gen era (1 TF XBOX 360, 2 TF PS3)?

That's the only way they can possibly reach "24 TF".

demigod

That doesn't make any sense. Why would they count CPU flops?

Do they also count fixed-function logic (TMUs, ROPs) like they did back in the 7th gen era (1 TF XBOX 360, 2 TF PS3)?

That's the only way they can possibly reach "24 TF".

Zen 2 + Navi, "a pure processing perspective this is four times more powerful".

Zen 2 + Navi, "a pure processing perspective this is four times more powerful".
I don't remember anyone counting the extra flops of Jaguar in this gen.

Sure, Jaguar is not as powerful as Zen 2, but it still has 8 x 128-bit FPUs to do stuff with (small-scale physics usually run on the CPU, while large-scale physics are a better fit for the GPU).

The meat of SIMD processing will always be on the GPU and that's the focus of advertising tech specs/flops. Jaguar 2.3 GHz is respectable flops-wise vs Cell and I still don't remember MS counting CPU flops on top of GPU flops in the Scorpio reveal.

vpance

I doubt Sony would be able to get enough HBM2 chips to do 16gb for 1 million consoles by launch. HBM2 has very low production volume and very high demand that Samsung even said that even if they doubled production they still wouldn't meet demand for it. Even with bin chips I doubt Samsung can fulfill that order. If that rumour is true then Sony could be using 4gb bin HBM2 chips as low latency ram for tasks that benefits from low latency over bandwidth with GDDR6 for everything else.

Could be. They won't need a ton of ultra fast RAM anyways because of the custom SSD. If it's split RAM types then I think HBM2 + DDR4 might be good enough.

SonGoku

Could be. They won't need a ton of ultra fast RAM anyways because of the custom SSD. If it's split RAM types then I think HBM2 + DDR4 might be good enough.
Nah that would be trash SSD is only good for streaming (Read)
Binned hbm chips will be even more scarce

GDDR6 is the best option

vpance

Nah that would be trash SSD is only good for streaming (Read)
Binned hbm chips will be even more scarce

GDDR6 is the best option

Every game streams data. With 5GB/s read they only need a relatively small amount of main memory, so even binned HBM may be enough supply. Rather have similar or better memory bandwidth and more budget towards a faster/bigger APU.

Ovech-King

Gold Member

Remember that alledged leak from 20 days ago titled ''PS5 devkit PCB specs from OQA '' ?

16 Samsung K4ZAF325BM-HC18 in clamshell configuration ... so the PS5 IS more powerful at 18Gb/s ..!?

edit: Oh and by the way the xbox picture is definitly BC and not BM so Scarlett is technically 16gb GDDR6

Last edited:

SonGoku

Every game streams data. With 5GB/s read they only need a relatively small amount of main memory, so even binned HBM may be enough supply. Rather have similar or better memory bandwidth and more budget towards a faster/bigger APU.
Not true, SSD would only be good for streaming/reading assets. To render everything at any given frame you need to look at total ram available
The benefit from SSD is it will free up ram memory that would otherwise be used for asset preloading. A few stacks of HBM won't produce high enough bandwith
If PS5 has less ram than XBOX2 they will be eaten alive on multiplatforms, Sony knows this, it will be worse than having less TFs

Last edited:

Achillias

Looks like I was right earlier.
Devs aren’t talking about Xbox yet because the dev kits haven’t been released.

Native 4K and 120fps damn you Microsoft now I really have to buy myself a new OLED after the C7 :messenger_tears_of_joy:.
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom