• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
"If you talk to people about the next-gen games at, oh, I don't know, a major gaming trade show or a major gaming awards show, the persistent impression given is that these new systems will be powerful.

The vibe I get when I hear about Durango is that Microsoft is on the mark. Sony appears to inspire less confidence"

Hmm, so devs were saying that the Xbox was the better console. Wow.

Keep in mind the developers still assumed that PS4 was gonna ship with only 4GBs of ram at the time which is probably where the "Sony appears to inspire less confidence" comes from. Developers learned about the switch to 8GBs when we found out in the FEB reveal. You even had developers tweeting how surprised they were.

Last edited:

Reindeer

Some Merrit to feb reveal?
C9MTRuB.jpg
Is this like one of those where Cory Barlog liked a post about PS5 being revealed at CES?

sinnergy

I think it will be much more about the quality of the image on screen. Think about it, CGI still looks better at 1080 p than games at 4 K. I think we are going to see more 1080p /1440 p upscaled games with RT more geometry, than previous generation.

Bergoglio

"Our goal has always been to build the most powerful console we can, and I think we're there. We like leading in power and performance and I feel like we're going to be there again,"

said Spencer while speaking to our sister site GameSpot.

did you even read the quotes? The sources came from devs leaking info, not a hack. Nothing in the vgleak article even mentions or shows anything about hacks.

edit - I actually just found that vgleak article with diagrams which is completely different from the vgleak dev kit leak I posted, still no mention of hacks.

Also your diagram article came out in Jan 28 2013, a week after the vg247 leak I posted dated Jan 17 2013 where devs spilled the beans on hardware specs, and way after the vgleak PS4 dev kit spec leak in 2012.

What was this about insiders being wrong?
You know how VGleaks got the info?
Klee, Matt and the Tommy Fishers of the world ain't no Superdae.
It's almost you are denying the reality of how bad and wrong the so called insiders rumours were about PS4 and Xbox One. And all more than 10 months out from the console launches.
You are letting your desire for Klee to be right over ride your logic and the reality of last gen.

Last edited:
"Our goal has always been to build the most powerful console we can, and I think we're there. We like leading in power and performance and I feel like we're going to be there again,"

said Spencer while speaking to our sister site GameSpot.
Built The most powerful console that we can . Again .....that We can . That’s why they keep saying “our most powerful console “

Last edited:
"We like leading in power and performance and I feel like we're going to be there again"
“I feel like “. You forgot what they did for x1x when they knew they had the power advantage ?
X1x is the most powerful console ever created when it launches (a year and half in advance) .

there is no way in hell they have 3 tf advantage and they are this conservative about what they r saying.”our most power console “. “Best console we built” .” I have a feeling “etc... . They would be saying xsx is the most powerful console in the milky galaxy ever witnessed by a human 😂

to clarify I m not saying their gpu is weaker than Sony . All I m saying is that they are close hence they r careful on what they say as some clock adjustments can change the outcome for both parties . I expect Sony also not to make definitive power talk due to being so close .

Last edited:

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.

darkinstinct

If PS5 ends up being 10 Tflops that would be around 12.5 PS4 Tflops which is a really nice upgrade. Then you factor in the huge CPU upgrade and SSD and I can only imagine how amazing 1st party PS5 titles will be. I don't think some people realize how much a leap we will be getting.

True. In fact everybody was happy with getting 12 to 14 GCN TF up until Xbox Series X was 12 TF RDNA. And then the retconning started and anything less than 12 TF RDNA was bad. So transparent.

ksdixon

My memory is crap. Who was talking about a game with a recognisable guy and a talking monster with yellow eyes?

Could that have been Chris Redfield in RE8 with the recent rumors about it having werewolf enemies and Eveline-type ghostly lady enemy?

Last edited:

bitbydeath

My memory is crap. Who was talking about a game with a recognisable guy and a talking monster with yellow eyes?

Could that have been Chris Redfield in RE8 with the recent rumors about it having werewolf enemies and Eveline-type ghostly lady enemy?

OsirisBlack OsirisBlack , 4 arms, 4 yellow eyes and insect like I think it was... something like that.

VFXVeteran

Banned
I take Jason's comment as both consoles being over 10 teraflops. I don't think he wanted to imply them performing better than a RTX 2080 ti which will be a 2 year old card when next gen consoles launch. You don't need to be so insecure. PC will always perform better than consoles no matter what. Specially now that consoles are using downclocked PC parts.

I'm not being insecure at all. How can I be when I know the power level limitations of a console. My point is, his comment could have been interpreted exactly how I did. If you guys are sooo anal about a 2-3TFLOP difference being your security blanket with the next-gen consoles, then it's not a stretch for me to say you'd play up the TFLOP number with PC owners based on them NOT being closed boxes. It's not about people admitting that the PC GPUs will have more power. It's about admitting that there is no secret sauce tech or the use of a closed platform that makes 1st party games look better than any platform running multiplats even if they have more power.

Last edited:

FrozenFlame

Ok, here's what's up:

Some good leaks from confirmed leakers stops the coronavirus.

Leaks from random websites, twitter "insiders" or gamingleaksandrumors subreddit helps it spread it.

New accounts with leaks need to be shot on sight quarantined.

Trust me, I'm a vetted scientist.

darkinstinct

So you would be content with an 8TF XSX?
I am going to buy a 4 TF XSS and wait for the 20+ TF midgen refresh. Why? Because traditionally in the first two years of a new gen nothing really great comes out (devs getting to grips with the hardware, small install base) and then I can wait another year and get great performance and great games.

Last edited:

semicool

Banned
I'm not being insecure at all. How can I be when I know the power level limitations of a console. My point is, his comment could have been interpreted exactly how I did. If you guys are sooo anal about a 2-3TFLOP difference being your security blanket with the next-gen consoles, then it's not a stretch for me to say you'd play up the TFLOP number with PC owners based on them NOT being closed boxes. It's not about you admitting that the PC GPUs will have more power. It's about you admitting that there is no secret sauce tech or the use of a closed platform that makes 1st party games look better than any platform running multiplats even if they have more power.
John Carmack and Tim Sweeny say hi.

darkinstinct

JC and TS said those comments years ago when it might have been applicable. Forget about what they say and just look at the facts this current gen.

I tend to agree. Back when those comments were made consoles were very custom pieces of hardware. Nowadays they are using the same parts that are in PCs. There are no magical performance gains anymore, they are a known quantity from the start (except new features like VRS or raytracing). The notion that a console is twice as performant than a PC with the same theoretical specs is ridiculous today. Vulcan and even DX12 allow the same "coding to the metal" approach that gave consoles the boost.

thelastword

Banned
Looks like PSErebus should have waited an extra half an hour.
Looks like you should check the dates before being so sure.....
I knew it I even posted it made no sense that anything would be shown in February because of GDC issue is...... This could be worse..... They might only show the controller and piss people the f off.
I don't see why Sony taking it's time to reveal PS5 should piss anybody off, so lets just say Sony reveals the specs right now and all the features, who does that benefit?.....MS of course, because we all know they would go making a tonne of changes in software and hardware to measure up......Look at how much CPU/GPU resources they released from Kinect and other bits on the vanilla XBONE console after launch, when they realized they were down on spec and features, they even upgraded clocks before launch...…...This time Sony should give MS no chance to react, not even in the slightest......Keep them in the dark till the witching hour....

Also, a full reveal now does nothing for the consumer, no games are releasing on PS5 from now till November 15th, you won't be able to buy the hardware till then either, (and I'm talking take home) so it's all moot.....It's just persons who want to know what Sony has under their belt so MS can 1up them or react. PS4 is where all the games are from now to November, perhaps some of the best games this generation is coming up in that period......The PS5 from what we've heard so far minus DF, Windows Central, Sam, Arthur Gies, Media X and all these unbiased guys is a powerhouse of a console...….Sony is not worried about that in the slightest, personally, I'm not worried about PS hardware, I know they will deliver...….I am rather stoked for PS4 games though and after the last big Sony game releases, they can go bonkers on PS5......Personally I'd release PS5 info in September, PS4 quality reveal, surprise spec that everybody lowballed and boom......November 2020 release, just 1 1/2 months away...…….Show the demos, show the games, melt eyelids....All the hype for Next gen will be in the September period anyway as game reveals, performance and other info ramps up....

So far they have let Xbox come in and talk in open air about their plans and seem like a real competitor. Everyone’s been speculating about it being more powerful and their other services like GamePass are all the talk of the industry.

Sony could have done something about this if they had of bothered to try. So far their marketing has been a complete cop out ... a pay walled article on a non gaming site... a demo that u could easily be achieved on any normal SSD. If Sony had of played things right, they would be having games that people cared about coming out now and be dominating the news instead of letting Xbox fill the gap.

If u think this is “amazing” you have phenomenally low standards. So far Sony doing nothing has played right into Xbox’s hands. Obviously the strategy is wait and show what they have at once which is usually only the best strategy when u want a little to seem like a lot. They could be selling preorders right now ... or selling subscriptions to encourage users to not change platforms.

What we have now is many people getting ready to sit back and watch them fight it out .. they should have already locked many users in ... like gamepass has been doing.
Is this post based on a meme or is this poster trying to create one himself?

And that's how it should be, according to that tweet...….Keep everything locked up until they are ready. Keep MS/the competitor in the dark......If MS wants and think it's the right strategy to reveal, they could go ahead and reveal full specs right now, but clearly they won't......They are playing the cat and mouse game, they are baiting with some cheese, but Sony has been eating the cheese and the cats for more than a minute.....They wont fall for it
bookmarked for posterity
So many posters here trust less than 10TF for PS5 and have no problem believing a 12TF Series X and beyond......I'm sure if a new rumor starts tomorrow that Series X is 14TF, some people will believe it and defend it to their graves...….DF however is clearly lowballing PS5 to push an XBOX is superior angle......The only way an 8TF PS5 is possible is if DF only got one portion of the equation...…..That PS5 has an Multi-GPU setup, infinity fabric style with 8TF on either chaplet...…...
Why are you so concerned with measuring the next-gen consoles TFLOPS with a PC GPU? This is how platform warring starts. It's like you guys want any number that can be as close to a PC GPU as possible. The 3080Ti comes out this year along with AMD's RDNA 2 boards. In 2 more years, you'll have a 4080Ti, etc.. try not to get hung up on consoles "hanging" with PC GPUs.
PC will always have higher spec, with which you will need much more money...…The games won't be better on higher spec, they won't have better AI, they won't look different visually, they won't have more expansive worlds etc.....they will just run faster or at higher resolutions...…Even AMD will have faster GPU's than PS5 in November, but it's the custom engineering that will give PS5 the advantage......…PC will always have the faster raw spec, that won't change, so I don't know why you are so worried about that.....You will still be able to buy your 3080ti for $1500 for the benefit of playing COD at 8k 120fps and a few better shadows, whilst consoles play at 4k 60fps...…..Nothing will change there, so you are ok....

You should be excited that game development will change from 1.31-1.84TF to 12+TF to be quite frank.........…All the multiplats last gen were made around that spec and even the SWWS games that looked better than anything on PC.....PC was just taking 1.31-1.84TF based games and boosting resolution and FPS up a storm, adding better texture filtering for free, a few better shadows here and there, but DOOM still looks and plays like doom whether you play it at 1080p 60fps on an RX 570 or at 4K 120 fps on a 2080ti; visuals, AI. gameplay it's all the same.......PC guys are more dependent on consoles than they are willing to admit......Normally you guys dont get an update in visuals unless new consoles release......Look at how long a PC only exclusive that is said to be pushing visuals has been in limbo (Star Citizen).......When these consoles launch in November Star Cititzen will look very dated and antiquated in visuals.......Even now, I think many console games look better than Star Citizen.....Farless for then.....

semicool

Banned
I tend to agree. Back when those comments were made consoles were very custom pieces of hardware. Nowadays they are using the same parts that are in PCs. There are no magical performance gains anymore, they are a known quantity from the start (except new features like VRS or raytracing). The notion that a console is twice as performant than a PC with the same theoretical specs is ridiculous today. Vulcan and even DX12 allow the same "coding to the metal" approach that gave consoles the boost.
I've said as much previously, it's not 2x ....anymore but there is some improvements., DX12, draw call optimization has closed the gap, however there is still different types of optimizations that can be targeted for a closed platform than one that's open and has to scale. For example AMD and Nvidia have their own platform hardware optimizations, per card generations, that can be targeted which you can code for on a closed system. Things like even DX12 is still an abstraction layer for the specific hardware implementation. Specific CPUs etc...similar idea, cache, branch prediction, clock speed, threads etc..You don't have to target a "baseline" like you would on a PC...hence min system requirements etc...the scaling on PC is assuredly not 100 percent efficient. Sure, it scales but it loses efficiency. It be a better software design if there was no baseline target..ie...no variation. PCs will obviously always have a higher spec machine that will outperform console's, but take the same hardware on PC and compare it to a closed, same hardware on a console and the console will be more optimized, be more efficient and run better than the same hardware PC. Hardware specs variation can greatly affect software design. Hell the OS on consoles have a more optimized graphics subsystem for gaming than a PC would. Just compare Windows to Linux(X Windows) gaming on the exact same hardware for performance, at one point alone that was 2X. It's better now that Linux is switching to Wayland, but my point is a closed platform, both software and hardware wise can be better optimized than the same hardware on an open platform with hardware variations(and software variations too see Linux with "X Windows" vs Linux with Wayland or Microsoft Windows. Or Directx 12 and Vulkan vs DX11 and OpenGL. As platform specific system API like what PlayStation has, Gnm, will always be more optimized than even Directx 12.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
PC will always have the faster raw spec, that won't change, so I don't know why you are so worried about that.....You will still be able to buy your 3080ti for $1500 for the benefit of playing COD at 8k 120fps and a few better shadows, whilst consoles play at 4k 60fps...…..Nothing will change there, so you are ok....

I'm not worried at all. Just because I make a statement that conflicts with your beliefs doesn't mean I'm worried about it.

You should be excited that game development will change from 1.31-1.84TF to 12+TF to be quite frank.........…All the multiplats last gen were made around that spec

Not true.

and even the SWWS games that looked better than anything on PC.....

I'll spare continuing the rest of your drivel.. but this sentence right here is the reason for my comment. Nearly 90% of you console (mainly Sony since PC has all Xbox 1st party games) gamers strongly believe that 1st party games can "do" more with less power simply because you subjectively think that the better art direction = better looks with less power. It's never ever been the case. There isn't a single thing tech-wise that makes UC4 look better than Modern Warfare on the PC. None. 0.

My point will be made this next gen when you see PS5 games face their PC equivalents with the same 1st party exclusive.

Last edited:
True. In fact everybody was happy with getting 12 to 14 GCN TF up until Xbox Series X was 12 TF RDNA. And then the retconning started and anything less than 12 TF RDNA was bad. So transparent.

Exactly, I expect at the very least 7x the performance compared to a base PS4 and around 3x the performance of the Pro in GPU alone.

Neo Blaster

Except that PC is an open platform, devs will never be able to optimize it like they do to consoles because they have to embrace from 'NASA supercomputers' to the least common denominator. There's so much one can do with Vulcan/DX12 before you begin to restrain game requirements.

Ellery

Gogogo people we want to hear some predictions again. Are there any folks out there still riding the 12TF+ dreamTrain. Can I get some words from the 16.8TF and 18TF crowd and the anything-below-14-TF-is-a-disappointment-crew. Any other hypers out there hoping Microsoft sneaking in SLI RTX Titan in that little black box to give you 36TFLOPS. Don't leave me hanging now guys. Give me all you got. Who is the thirstiest.

I will go with both the PS5 and Xbox being around 9TF~ somewhere.
That would be faster (for gaming performance) than what Stadia offers and it would probably be twice as fast as the Xbox One X (GPU performance).
Rest of the hardware we basically know. 500GB - 1TB SSDs. 8/16 Zen2 clocked at 3.X GHZ whatever. Some double digit amount of ram between 12 and 20.
I would expect a custom chip with more than 40 CUs and a clockspeed between 1500 and 1800 MHZ.
Well maybe you could work with a higher clocked Navi10 36 or 40 CUs, but that could be a thermal/power problem. The Xbox Series X does look like it is prepared to have good thermals though.
With a custom chip with more than 40 CUs it could be possible to have more than 10TF, but while I think it is possible I still think it is unlikely.
At some point I thought 12TF was possible, but now I think there is no way.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
I don't see why Sony taking it's time to reveal PS5 should piss anybody off, so lets just say Sony reveals the specs right now and all the features, who does that benefit?.....MS of course, because we all know they would go making a tonne of changes in software and hardware to measure up......Look at how much CPU/GPU resources they released from Kinect and other bits on the vanilla XBONE console after launch, when they realized they were down on spec and features, they even upgraded clocks before launch...…...This time Sony should give MS no chance to react, not even in the slightest......Keep them in the dark till the witching hour....

Do you honestly believe Microsoft don’t know about PS5 specs at this stage?

DaGwaphics

Rightisright Rightisright , definitely can't put much faith on people willing to talk this early. Basically, the people who really have concrete knowledge would be too afraid to speak.

Preemptive damage control is also very real at this stage if one of the boxes is weaker than the other. You could certainly expect the weaker side to try and get the "both are the same" message spread before real side-by-side comparisons can be made. Not a knock on Sony, it could very well be MS in this position again. Or this time the "samey-ness" is legit.

geordiemp

Bit of a left field thought, but does anyone think they've been so quiet, they possibly won't reveal 'til May because they fear it'll hurt sales of VIIR and TLOU2?

Or looking it another way, if you and your competitor cant sell the items until November, what is the benefit of announcing early ?

Other than keeping forum warriors happy ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom