• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it would be solely to keep forum warriors happy, as I don't believe that was Microsoft's goal.

They wanted to get a head start because they have a very nice system lined up, but also(as far as I can tell) don't have as many AAA first party or heavy-hitters right now as Sony does, so they generated buzz for something upcoming, which is fine.

Sony hasn't done anything remotely orthodox for their new system at all so far, so clinging to the past(i.e. Jan 31) as an indication of what they may do doesnt hold water.

I feel they'll do something in February or early March, simply because their ability to contain any legitimate info outside of the Wired articles for this long has been astounding.

That being said, I don't think they'd be able to contain anything coming out of GDC.

Lampiao

I think people should be happy to receive an eventual machine equipped with zen2 + 9/10 tf Rdna (12 / 13tf gcn) + RT + super fast SSD + 16Gb ddr6 + Audio 3d for 399/499.
This is not possible on PC with this amount and there is always the option to migrate to the Pc and keep doing annual upgrades to achieve high fidelity and higher frame rates per second if you are enthusiastic, after all, the consoles never had this purpose.

Last edited:
I think people should be happy to receive an eventual machine equipped with zen2 + 9/10 tf Rdna (12 / 13tf gcn) + RT + super fast SSD + 16Gb ddr6 + Audio 3d for 399/499.
This is not possible on PC with this amount and there is always the option to migrate to the Pc and keep doing annual upgrades to achieve high fidelity and higher frame rates per second if you are enthusiastic, after all, the consoles never had this purpose.
Make it to double digit (10 tf) and I ll be happy

Agreed. That's where I shake my head when I see disappointment over certain things like TFs, even though I believe both will be 12TF or above, or at least very close by final kit arrival.

Yeah, PC will rocket forward. It always does and some folks are won't to rub that in your face. NVIDIA will come out with some wild stuff.

I'd rather spend $500, even $600 for a very powerful console than what? $1000-$2000 for a video card alone to be top end?

But this is the first time that consoles won't neccesarily be terribly bottlenecked, if you ask me. I do believe, even with this power in each system, there will be a Pro version of them in 3, maybe 4 years or so.

splattered

Oh come on. You know Sony just isn't revealing anything big to try and keep sales of current gen healthy as long as possible. The less they talk about the ps5 the less moms and grandmas will hear about a new console releasing later this year and will still go out and buy the ps4. They aren't being stealthy with the competition, they're just being selfish for their own bottom line. They want you to keep buying ps4 consoles and they want you to buy early to mid 2020 ps4 games so you can freak out turn around and go buy the seperate ps5 "enhanced" versions for another $40 to $60 each come christmas. They're bending consumers over like corporations always do.

The only alternative to this is that they actually havent finalized all of their retail designs, marketing, etc and are actually behind schedule. Its one thing to have a functional but ugly dev kit to ship to developers but it's another to have everything retail ready to show and ship out.

Which scenario would you prefer?

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Oh come on. You know Sony just isn't revealing anything big to try and keep sales of current gen healthy as long as possible. The less they talk about the ps5 the less moms and grandmas will hear about a new console releasing later this year and will still go out and buy the ps4. They aren't being stealthy with the competition, they're just being selfish for their own bottom line. They want you to keep buying ps4 consoles and they want you to buy early to mid 2020 ps4 games so you can freak out turn around and go buy the seperate ps5 "enhanced" versions for another $40 to $60 each come christmas. They're bending consumers over like corporations always do.

The only alternative to this is that they actually havent finalized all of their retail designs, marketing, etc and are actually behind schedule. Its one thing to have a functional but ugly dev kit to ship to developers but it's another to have everything retail ready to show and ship out.

It's not bending people over to want to keep sales high

pawel86ck

Banned
Nearly 90% of you console (mainly Sony since PC has all Xbox 1st party games) gamers strongly believe that 1st party games can "do" more with less power simply because you subjectively think that the better art direction = better looks with less power.
Developers cant do more on slower hardware, that's a fact, so personally I doubt even old game like Gears Of War 4 would run on XSX 12TF Navi at solid 60 fps and PC equivalent maxed out settings.

However developers can always manage hardware resources and make smart compromises. For example DOF set to "insane" settings in GOW4 cut performance in half but it's not like game looks much different with it even when you compare screenshots, so what's the point wasting so much GPU resources for it? Developers on closed platform like XSX can tweak these two options in order to get 60fps 4K. These will be not PC maxed out quality settings, but game will still look very good.

Closed platform like console simply force developers to make these compromises (optimisations) but of course even on PC we can sometimes see how drastic difference optimisation can make.

How DICE managed to improve RT performance in Battlefield 5 on PC? They simply reduced the number of rays in such a way people wouldn't notice it, so game still looks good but runs 50% better now.

We will see the same optimisations on XSX / PS5.

Last edited:

ANIMAL1975

Why are you so concerned with measuring the next-gen consoles TFLOPS with a PC GPU? This is how platform warring starts.

I'm not being insecure at all.

If you guys are sooo anal about a 2-3TFLOP

So what's the current bullshit that's being spread in the thread at the moment?
Some Gaffer made the math calculations and find out that, the way Corona virus is spreading, we are heading to 180 million people infected soon (or was it dead). So, probably in a few weeks, there won't be any workers in China to make the new systems, most likely Sony already knows that and canceled PsMeeting (for what we know, with the lack of any information on PS5, they could be already all in quarantine by now damn! ).
It all makes sense, and brings further weight to the latest rumors about Github leak _ that AMD engineers that tested Oberon chips had the corona virus, and because of the feber clouding their reasoning, uped the clocks to 2GHz frying half of the chip.

My memory is crap. Who was talking about a game with a recognisable guy and a talking monster with yellow eyes?

Could that have been Chris Redfield in RE8 with the recent rumors about it having werewolf enemies and Eveline-type ghostly lady enemy?
It was OsirisBlack OsirisBlack but i don't think it's RE8. The creature had 4 eyes and 4 arms, and moves like an insect. He can also afflict you with a curse (and is afflicted?).
So neither the creature looks like a werewolf, nor the curse makes sense in the Resident Evil world, which is all about viruses Infection (and the dangers of Biological research without rules).

2020211253453_1.jpg

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Guys, come on... it’s blue, and there are four walking eyes, holding flags. In the background, there are mountains, sea and palm trees.

it’s bloody obvious...

You’ve all got blue balls. They have all their eyes on you. But you’re all starting to flag with this stupid teraflop rubbish. The mountains and sea are that you will never leave the house, and you are eating out the palm of their hands.

Clear as day.

#SumsUpTheThread

Last edited:

I can buy them being behind schedule on things like retail plans and marketing, they only just hired a new marketing lead for the PS division late last month.

But about the other part, since when were moms and grandmas early adopters of brand-new consoles at launch? Never. So that as an excuse just doesn't work imho. The people who want a PS5 at launch are people like us, and people who purchased a PS4 at launch or within its first two or three years. Those are typically the target audience for system launches, and they've had their PS4s for a very long time by now.

The "moms and grandmas" excuse only really works for Nintendo systems, since those groups would be buying the new Switch or whatever for their kid or grandchild. But it's not really a factor for MS or Sony hardcore/core gamers. The moms and grandmas would still keep buying PS4s regardless of what PS5 news Sony put out, so the lack of transparency and any substantially new information is only hurting the hardcore/core fanbase, particularly the ones who won't just blindly buy the new system like a flock of sheep simply because of the name on the box.

LED Guy?

Banned
It's not what he's said, it's what he hasn't said. He NEVER committed to-

CU count
Clock Speeds
Memory Allocation
Never Specified the type of RT, Cores or otherwise. (In fact he flip flopped on that point for a bit)

IMO these are the most ESSENTIAL specs that he refused to share. If you go back and read his posts you will see a set of carefully laid out commentaries that are juicy enough to keep his believers satisfied, yet vague enough to absolve himself of misleading people.

There's alot of "Yup" and "Exactly" when answering questions but no commitment to hard numbers. I won't be upset if he turns out to be wrong, I was in the 8-9TF zone before he gassed everybody up to his non-declared double digit specifications.
He can’t give hard numbers and not one insider nor even Jason Schreier gave hard numbers, they just can’t, my guy, the NDAs are too strong I guess, and no, he was very specific with his statements, and he down right DENIED the Oberon 9.2 TF leak, and he didn’t give out riddles and stuff like some “insiders” on here.

And you need those CU numbers, clock speeds, memory allocation and all that to believe him? That’s irrelevant, the more important if the info he’s stating is right or wrong, the most important thing is the info that he stated are lining up with the others and he was the 1st one who strongly hinted at XSX reveal in VGAs, and Klee got verified twice and turn out he is a credible source.

So he did not mislead nor flip flopped AT ALL, NOT ONCE.

Last edited:

splattered

I can buy them being behind schedule on things like retail plans and marketing, they only just hired a new marketing lead for the PS division late last month.

But about the other part, since when were moms and grandmas early adopters of brand-new consoles at launch? Never. So that as an excuse just doesn't work imho. The people who want a PS5 at launch are people like us, and people who purchased a PS4 at launch or within its first two or three years. Those are typically the target audience for system launches, and they've had their PS4s for a very long time by now.

The "moms and grandmas" excuse only really works for Nintendo systems, since those groups would be buying the new Switch or whatever for their kid or grandchild. But it's not really a factor for MS or Sony hardcore/core gamers. The moms and grandmas would still keep buying PS4s regardless of what PS5 news Sony put out, so the lack of transparency and any substantially new information is only hurting the hardcore/core fanbase, particularly the ones who won't just blindly buy the new system like a flock of sheep simply because of the name on the box.

Right because when I go to a gamestop or other electronics store they don't try and push me on putting down money for the new shiny whatever. If they show anything major at this point people in the stores/lines will be talking about the PS5. Everyone will be talking about the PS5 and the PS4 will look less attractive.

You'd be silly to think that Sony doesn't want to try and sell every last full priced PS4 console on the shelf that they can before they turn around and ask for another $400 to $600 for the PS5.

There is absolutely no way MS can close the gap at this point and their sales are what they are. Everything for MS is hedging on their next gen bets. They can stand to show more now and not worry about cannibalization of current sales as much as Sony does. Sony is still making money hand over fist and they're not just going to say "Well, I guess this is good enough - let's go ahead and drop the bombs and then start selling at high volume again 10 months from now"

PC will always have higher spec, with which you will need much more money...…The games won't be better on higher spec, they won't have better AI, they won't look different visually, they won't have more expansive worlds etc.....they will just run faster or at higher resolutions...…

The bolded is the literal definition of being better. Do you have pretzel for a brain? And yes, as someone who went from console to PC gaming, if you have the faculties to enjoy and make use of the perks, it absolutely makes a noticeable difference.

DOOM still looks and plays like doom whether you play it at 1080p 60fps on an RX 570 or at 4K 120 fps on a 2080ti; visuals, AI. gameplay it's all the same.......

Couldn't be more wrong. DOOM in particular gets better and better gameplay wise at higher refreshrates. Just like most games. I went from slogging through DOOM on console to blazing through it on PC when I switched. I went from getting headaches due to the low refresh rate making me need to take breaks more often, to headache free sessions where I now have to remind myself to take breaks because it's just healthier for my eyes even though I don't feel like I need to.

And oh my Lord, don't get me started on textures and resolution and aliasing. Not to mention AF.

Wh...what am I even doing? Why am I even responding to someone who thinks higher settings isn't better... I can't...

If you want to argue that the difference isn't large enough for you to make you want to get a PC then that's a valid take. But man... You aren't helping yourself here.

LED Guy?

Banned
I'm not worried at all. Just because I make a statement that conflicts with your beliefs doesn't mean I'm worried about it.

Not true.

I'll spare continuing the rest of your drivel.. but this sentence right here is the reason for my comment. Nearly 90% of you console (mainly Sony since PC has all Xbox 1st party games) gamers strongly believe that 1st party games can "do" more with less power simply because you subjectively think that the better art direction = better looks with less power. It's never ever been the case. There isn't a single thing tech-wise that makes UC4 look better than Modern Warfare on the PC. None. 0.

My point will be made this next gen when you see PS5 games face their PC equivalents with the same 1st party exclusive.
To be honest, Uncharted 4 has much more geometry, higher detailed character models, better lighting and global illumination, much wider areas, better effects and smoke effects, better textures overall, more detailed world and better AI than the latest Modern Warfare 2019, Uncharted 4 is a 2016 game.

Stop kidding yourself. Uncharted 4 is a much more demanding game on PS4 than MW 2019.

Yes MW at times packs more condensed visual awe than Uncharted 4 and that’s due to Uncharted 4’s open world levels at times.

Uncharted 4 is a 30 FPS game, Modern Warfare is a 60 FPS, and the PC version looks almost identical to the base PS4 version except for higher resolutions and higher FPS and those Nvidia RT shadows, nothing more.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Would love a next-gen perfect dark, can still remember playing the first one on N64. Such a great game. That version didn't really translate well into the future, it wasn't that fun on Rare Replay.

It is weird though that Microsoft would release two shooters together for the holiday period.

Last edited by a moderator:

nikolino840

To be honest, Uncharted 4 has much more geometry, higher detailed character models, better lighting and global illumination, much wider areas, better effects and smoke effects, better textures overall, more detailed world and better AI than the latest Modern Warfare 2019, Uncharted 4 is a 2016 game.

Stop kidding yourself. Uncharted 4 is a much more demanding game on PS4 than MW 2019.

Yes MW at times packs more condensed visual awe than Uncharted 4 and that’s due to Uncharted 4’s open world levels at times.

Uncharted 4 is a 30 FPS game, Modern Warfare is a 60 FPS, and the PC version looks almost identical to the base PS4 version except for higher resolutions and higher FPS and those Nvidia RT shadows, nothing more.
So next gen could be Better...like hellblade 2 trailer on Xbox series X

Banned
That’s what I’ve been thinking all along tbh.

and tbh, I mean... PS1 at least can be emulated on EVERYTHING nowadays... PS2 would be nice tho because PS2 emulation is still very annoying due to many games needing individual adjustments and then might still have annoying graphics issues :/

Yeah, clickbait articles and sites like this are just around to stoke fanboy wars. You'd think a place like Forbes would have better quality control and some sense of integrity. Then again journalism as a whole is kind of in the shitter :S

I tend to agree. Back when those comments were made consoles were very custom pieces of hardware. Nowadays they are using the same parts that are in PCs. There are no magical performance gains anymore, they are a known quantity from the start (except new features like VRS or raytracing). The notion that a console is twice as performant than a PC with the same theoretical specs is ridiculous today. Vulcan and even DX12 allow the same "coding to the metal" approach that gave consoles the boost.

Would just like to add my own take here.

It's true that there isn't a lot of "secret sauce" with consoles anymore. There isn't any tech or standards in consoles not present in PCs or won't be present in PCs sometime down the road. For example in the wild case PS5 actually uses some ReRAM, well that same ReRAM will eventually make its way to PCs too. All of the tech standards that consoles use or could potentially use, have compatibility with standardized x86 PC architectures or would easily be in the process of gaining that compatibility.

There are two big benefits to consoles, however, that PCs will likely never have (IMHO). The first is that consoles are closed systems and therefore they can standardize their components. Standardization of the components gives developers the ability to program against that specific configuration, because it will always remain the same in every instance of that system out there.

The second advantage is that consoles can, thanks to the standardization of components, use economies of scale, since they can secure those components in bulks of millions, which helps with costs of the BOM, which helps with the retail MSRP, which helps with market saturation (through sales of the system). This is something PCs can't do because even if a motherboard may dictate what components are compatible, that still doesn't narrow the standardization as strongly as consoles do, meaning developers can't specifically target a range of components or features (I don't mean assembly "coding to metal" or stuff like that, either). That is something consoles avoid.

The third advantage is that, thanks to market saturation, consoles give financial incentive to developers to fund AAA games with very large budgets, that way those same games can (usually) take fuller advantage of the standardized hardware in the consoles, which often sale in the tens of millions thanks to friendly MSRP prices gained through manageable BOMs helped by economies of scale of ordering a standardized set of components in massive bulks of millions. With so many of those same consoles of that same spec out in the wild, it gives such a game a greater chance of recouping development costs since they can sell the game to a pool of millions of people, all with a system capable of playing that game at the exact same specifications as any of those other systems. Larger potential audience, larger potential profit, bigger reason to take risks on bigger funding.

The last advantage is something just commonly not seen in AAA PC games these days. It used to be, back when gaming budgets were a lot smaller and the library of PC games and consoles were a lot more distinct and less crossover, but that isn't the case anymore. Nowadays the big PC AAA games tend to also be big AAA console games, and since PCs with specs comparable to any given console gen are way less common among the PC userbase, that gives the incentive to devs in prioritizing consoles, and "boosting" certain things like textures or framerates for PC versions. But rarely are those games actually made for PCs as the target platform (even if they're basically developed on PCs).

Ironically I would say the Xbox (and to a lesser extent the PS2) really kicked off the transition of longtime PC-first developers shifting to prioritizing consoles a lot more. However it's probably not best to say that PC AAA games don't exist anymore; they still do. Games like League of Legends, for example, I think would qualify as AAA given the sheer amount of content and features in them, and their popularity. But while something like LoL isn't available on consoles, its existence (in terms of funding, and getting off the ground) was likely thanks to other efforts with consoles in mind, and the proliferation of console gamers jumping into PC gaming. If those console gamers weren't console gamers, chances are they wouldn't of ended up going over to games like LoL, either, so that would still be an example of AAA PC gaming being somewhat dependent on the AAA console gaming scene creating those players who cross over.

Games like Star Citizen, too, I don't know if they'd be getting the attention they get these days if it weren't for existence of AAA console gaming. In terms of production values it clearly takes inspiration from prior AAA console games like Mass Effect, and is using famous actors and actresses as a draw/selling point, something modern AAA console games do a lot as well. There's even the possibility it could see a port to next-gen systems at some point (maybe this is already planned?), which could be part of the reason they've drawn in such a big stable of funding, as console ports would definitely help in recouping production costs.

So even though I used examples like LoL and Star Citizen and on the outset they appear to be very much independent AAA efforts aimed at the PC scene, there are still factors to their existence and success predicated on the audiences built up through AAA console gaming, particularly thanks to systems like OG Xbox and the 360, which tended to favor Western devs, a lot of whom had PC backgrounds (and would then take their experience on 6th/7th gen AAA game dev and apply it back to PC-orientated efforts if they did happen to make PC-exclusive titles). That should tell you how advantageous it has been, still is, and could potentially continue to be, to have consoles in gaming. They benefit PCs (and fwiw, PCs have benefited consoles as well, and will continue to).

Right because when I go to a gamestop or other electronics store they don't try and push me on putting down money for the new shiny whatever. If they show anything major at this point people in the stores/lines will be talking about the PS5. Everyone will be talking about the PS5 and the PS4 will look less attractive.

You'd be silly to think that Sony doesn't want to try and sell every last full priced PS4 console on the shelf that they can before they turn around and ask for another $400 to $600 for the PS5.

There is absolutely no way MS can close the gap at this point and their sales are what they are. Everything for MS is hedging on their next gen bets. They can stand to show more now and not worry about cannibalization of current sales as much as Sony does. Sony is still making money hand over fist and they're not just going to say "Well, I guess this is good enough - let's go ahead and drop the bombs and then start selling at high volume again 10 months from now"

Since when did moms and grandmoms primarily shop for games at Gamestop?!? And regardless, no at this point if people are buying PS4s, they are budget-conscious shoppers. They are looking for a cheap gaming option, possibly for their kids, so the world could be swarming about next-gen systems but that wont' stop the people buying current-gen systems from buying them. We literally have historical precedents to prove what I'm talking about!

Of course to some extent MS has more liberty to talk about their next-gen plans more due to XBO under-performing compared to PS4 and even the Switch. But that doesn't change the fact that, again, if you look historically, they aren't really going "ahead of schedule" on mentioning next-gen plans versus what market leaders had actually done. I vividly remember news and info on PS2 coming out as soon as early '99, more than a YEAR before that system came out in Japan. You don't have to be the "market loser" in order to start talking about (and showing some concrete proof of) your next-gen system little over a year before launch, but that does probably influence such a decision in modern-day.

More than anything else, Sony mentioning PS5 information or doing a reveal now would not hurt PS4 sales; even the soccer moms are probably aware to some extent there might be a new Sony system launching this year. If not, they'll likely know once news picks up. But the fact remains, if they are the ones buying PS4s this late into its life cycle, they weren't in the running to buy a PS5 at launch anyway. MS understands that and it's part of the reason even if XBO had sold substantially more, we would probably still be getting about the same amount of XSX info (give or take a few things, like maybe the TGA reveal) that we're currently getting.

That's why I said earlier it feels like Sony's taking its hardcore/core fans for a ride and taking their patience and loyalty for granted (and to me personally, insulting our intelligence with that logo reveal at CES), and I stand by it.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Agreed. That's where I shake my head when I see disappointment over certain things like TFs, even though I believe both will be 12TF or above, or at least very close by final kit arrival.

Yeah, PC will rocket forward. It always does and some folks are won't to rub that in your face. NVIDIA will come out with some wild stuff.

I'd rather spend $500, even $600 for a very powerful console than what? $1000-$2000 for a video card alone to be top end?

But this is the first time that consoles won't neccesarily be terribly bottlenecked, if you ask me. I do believe, even with this power in each system, there will be a Pro version of them in 3, maybe 4 years or so.
Yep, I think the bottlenecks are pretty much gone in as so far as the current gen going on for a good 14years. It will be iterative from here on, pro, pro+. Etc

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
and tbh, I mean... PS1 at least can be emulated on EVERYTHING nowadays... PS2 would be nice tho because PS2 emulation is still very annoying due to many games needing individual adjustments and then might still have annoying graphics issues :/

I think I’m in the smaller group of people who care less about the older games BC because limited game time means I have to decide between playing newer games or backlog as is. For those with collections, I see it as being much more important. I would love for PS to have BC for all either way though.

splattered

Would love a next-gen perfect dark, can still remember playing the first one on N64. Such a great game. That version didn't really translate well into the future, it wasn't that fun on Rare Replay.

It is weird though that Microsoft would release two shooters together for the holiday period.

May be zero truth in it but seems like I've heard rumblings in it actually being something more akin to the Splinter Cell series.

Shmunter

.... It's not about people admitting that the PC GPUs will have more power. It's about admitting that there is no secret sauce tech or the use of a closed platform that makes 1st party games look better than any platform running multiplats even if they have more power.

Congratulations, you win my most arsenine comment of the night award!

I can buy them being behind schedule on things like retail plans and marketing, they only just hired a new marketing lead for the PS division late last month..

This ain’t it.

Much like hardware, marketing and rollout strategies are ironed out at least a year ahead of time. Sometimes changes can be made months in advance (or days if you’re Planters) for emergencies, but rough dates, events, strategies, etc are pretty much set in stone.

Eric Lempel and Mary Yee are the two spearheading the global marketing strategies for PS and combined have over 25 years of experience at PlayStation. I’d trust they know what they’re doing.

thelastword

Banned
I'm not worried at all. Just because I make a statement that conflicts with your beliefs doesn't mean I'm worried about it.

Not true.

I'll spare continuing the rest of your drivel.. but this sentence right here is the reason for my comment. Nearly 90% of you console (mainly Sony since PC has all Xbox 1st party games) gamers strongly believe that 1st party games can "do" more with less power simply because you subjectively think that the better art direction = better looks with less power. It's never ever been the case. There isn't a single thing tech-wise that makes UC4 look better than Modern Warfare on the PC. None. 0.

My point will be made this next gen when you see PS5 games face their PC equivalents with the same 1st party exclusive.
No need to get spicy veteran...…...The truth is PC is a viable platform, but not as viable for gaming as consoles......Consoles set the trend for gaming......Their exclsuives is what people talk about (UC, LOU, Death Stranding, Spiderman, GOW, GT, Days Gone) etc.....whilst PC guys port beg for these same releases they say have better equivalents on PC already...….You know what I consider a true PC exclusive, regardless of the fact that it was ported to consoles? Crysis, now that game had people to look, Farcry 1, Nolf, Soldier of Fortune, F.E.A.R...…..Lots of these games are now on consoles and these are the games people would headturn for PC, but where are these type of games anymore on PC and only on PC......…?

Here you are singing Hosannas about PS games which you have shatted on many times finally coming to PC, why don't you lobby for better exclusive games that are popular and exciting to push the uniqueness of the platform? like those mentioned above...….as opposed to money sinks like Star Citizen with no appreciable end-game in sight...…..

PC is great if you love the platform, like to tinker, personally it's a recommendation over an XBOX since all their games are on there, but I also understand why millions would prefer to play on a console...……..No matter how many times PC guys like to press the point of full BC for all games, keeping games alive on PC by porting it to the platform, it's really not all black and white...…...Something always comes up even for recent games......Driver issues, incompatible software installed or hardware.....it's not a straight case of plug and play.....Try running some of the older games like Soul Reaver, Shadow Man, Clive Barkers Jericho, Quake 4, BloodRayne etc etc.......It's always an issue you have to research to fix, and some don't boot or don't play properly.....Even current gen releases like Forza 7 and SFV play much better by disabling your Anti-Virus software......On console you just boot and play......Of course consoles have updates too, which you can mitigate easily by doing low power mode downloads, but consoles don't have a million pieces of software installed that could mess with things, they don't have a million hardware incompatibilities or potential driver and spectre issues...….PC wins on perf and some visual flourishes for the most part, but PC does not have that differentiator in games as they used to.....They're just waiting someday that somebody will port Zelda, UC, LOU, Horizon, GOW, GT etc.....

And yes, PS4 exclusives look better to me than Star Citizen, PC's best...….Having the best looking games, especially realistic visuals is not dependent on how much power you have if such power is not being utilized properly.....Just throwing raw processing at said thing does not make it look accurate or close to the real thing......All GPU loads that tanks performance and necessitates a 5080Ti does not mean it looks better...….It's what you do with what you have, with smart programming and talent. You can have all the raytracing hardware in the world, does not mean that the real-world looks like BF5 with reflections everywhere and noise galore, it does not mean that every surface is a mirror in the real world or that you could do your hair in a pool of blood as seen in these RT games. Games programming is more than throwing more power at it, where is the custom creation, the master's touch., I never quite liked the look of hairworks in Witcher 3, it looks worse to me and same with some shameful RT implementations so far this gen, the tech has surfaced but the software wizards have not arrived yet for the feature, we will see them later this year….

.Pushing lots of Smokeworks in Batman to get your 5080ti drenched in GPU cycles does not mean it's realistic, it's just something you do to drain you GPU resources….All those GPU draining bits in FF15, with hairworks on when they didn't cull the load, but had hairworks engaged throughout the entire level/world, means nothing...…….You buying a $1500 GPU and devs giving you some foolish incentive to max it out with silly effects that most times don't even look good and are not practical makes littles sense......They just give you something to slide your bar to ultra so you can boast online of how superior your PC is, but the truth is, your GPU was never being utilized how it should be....That's why, no matter how many sliders you push to the right in FF15, you will never get a game that looks as good as GOW or UC4 or DC or LOU, because there's no crafting in these type of visuals, there's only bruteforcing.....to say "Hey my card can run the FF benchmark at 4k 30fps", consoles will freeze et al, is someone not seeing the forest from the trees...….Thank god for consoles or gaming would be pretty expensive right about now....Sloppy programming, where your $1500 card excels, should not be a bragging point...

?
Are you serious?
Come on, read what I said, in context and to what I was responding and you will find it's not so hard a line to understand…..
Do you honestly believe Microsoft don’t know about PS5 specs at this stage?
I don't know, you think? Looking at how some people here believe they know more about PS5 than Cerny or that MS and their cohort know more about PS5 than Cerny.....I really don't know what's real anymore........I think in reality, MS has overtaken Sony's engineering labs at this point,,,,,,,,,,Jez Corden, Arthur Gies, Brad Sams, Crapgamer has been in and out of Sony HQ and they are in fact the real PS5 engineers....

Neo Blaster

Totally agree, Sony has no need to rush the PS5 narrative. Gosh, PS4 is still overpriced in the year new consoles will launch, and with games like FF7R, TLOU2 and GoT coming, it will sell like hotcakes, no need even to cut the price for a while. MS, however, comes from a disappointing generation compared to the previous one, and have all reasons to rush next gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom