• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Yeah OG is ugly. One is ugly too

and xbox controller looks like those redneck mutants and their faces from "the hills have eyes" with sticks on stupid places

You best not be talkin’ about the white One S boyyy, because I’mma bouta’ kick yo’ ASS.

Reindeer

I prefer something like this over Series X design.
1PUt6k0.jpg

OK. I'm not even going to entertain this nonsense. Have it be your way. Even some people I know that works at ND wouldn't approve at what you are saying.. :messenger_pensive:

Well, the simple way to end this is to select a scene from each game, pop them on here, and let people make up their minds:

Uncharted 4:

2851843-uncharted%204_%20a%20thief%E2%80%99s%20end%E2%84%A2_20160515122022.png

Call Of Duty 2019 (PC - unknown settings):

NINTCHDBPICT000533975270-1.jpg

(I tried to pick some scenes that looks roughly the same: blue skies, fire, some vehicles ... heh)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Well, to be fair, he does hit different angles in each piece. He says Sony will win overall because of exclusives and their larger base, while Microsoft's advantage is the 'Game Pass' program. Fair evaluations. He doesn't seem to be biased either way, but just pointing out what he thinks both's strengths are and where that will eventually lead.

Just the headlines are clickbait hyperbole.

Jtibh

Banned
The thing is, that is one province of China. It's not the city of Shenzen which is in Guangdong province and is where most of our electronics and components are manufactured, etc. So if the outbreak is contained there, we probably won't see big delays. Or if the virus does in fact turn out to be no worse than your normal cold and flu. If it IS worse by a good bit, like say SARS or something, OR the outbreak can't be contained, THEN you would see mass delays, etc.
Lets wait a week and see what happens

DaMonsta

Well, the simple way to end this is to select a scene from each game, pop them on here, and let people make up their minds:

Uncharted 4:

(I tried to pick some scenes that looks roughly the same: blue skies, fire, some vehicles ... heh)

Without any context looking at both of those images, I wouldn’t claim either one was “more advanced” than the other.

Both look good, and seem to be doing the same types of things.

Biggest difference I can see is that the uncharted image looks more blurry.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Ahah am I the only one who thinks series x looks nice? probably my favorite looking console. See what ps5 looks like maybe look even better

I think it looks fine. I'm most likely getting a PS5, but the Xbox looks just fine to me. Then again, I don't care all that much what it looks like or if it has rubber feet on the side, etc. Just want to play the games! :)

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

Uncharted 4:

One is a 1080p screenshot the other is a Bullshot, probably is representative of the IQ you get but it's still a Bullshot.

Reindeer

Uncharted 4:

I think Uncharted 4 on PC running at 4K60 would look much better than COD 2019. Where Uncharted definitely wins is attention to detail.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned

Uncharted 4:

That's not how you would compare 2 games graphics technology. That's the big flaw in a lot of arguments. There is no such thing as "looks better" when that is completely subjective. Also screenshots hide artifacts like low res textures and aliasing.

Let's just wait till the PS5 only games get the PC ports (i.e. Godfall will be the first one). Then you can compare with the same art. You'll see then that designing a game around a closed system won't matter with an open platform like PC because it will always be able to match or exceed the console counterpart.

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned
One is a 1080p screenshot the other is a Bullshot, probably is representative of the IQ you get but it's still a Bullshot.

You mean UC? I don't think it's bullshot at all, game has TAA that cleans up edges quite good but you can see that's not perfect on this SS.

Edit: I'm replaying UC4 right now and game still looks amazing. Some levels are quite plain (Scotland) but Madagascar and islands looks great + game has the best interactive foliage to date and very high resolution volumetric godrays for a console (I think I have only seen better on Fallout 4 on PC ultra). Only real stinker is low shadow resolution in some locations.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I’m sorry but playing MW on pc at ultra in 200+ fps in 4k, the character models and animations are much better than UC4.

But you would expect that.

Levels are on par, with MW having more detail. But to be fair, UC4 has some gorgeous visuals you wouldnt get in MW anyway.

For the most part it’s like comparing Zelda to Mario. You can compare a few things, but most of it’s subjective.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
We get it. Can the PC dick measuring move on from this thread?

thelastword thelastword even made a thread to flex in.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

That's not how you would compare 2 games graphics technology. That's the big flaw in a lot of arguments. There is no such thing as "looks better" when that is completely subjective. Also screenshots hide artifacts like low res textures and aliasing.

Let's just wait till the PS5 only games get the PC ports (i.e. Godfall will be the first one). Then you can compare with the same art. You'll see then that designing a game around a closed system won't matter with an open platform like PC because it will always be able to match or exceed the console counterpart.
Uncharted 4 looks better.

Look through this generation and find which games won the MOST best visuals awards.

PS5 exclusives will likely look better for most of the next generation than anything on the PC.

You have links saying PS5 exclusives are coming to PC?
If not you are trolling.

Also I think PC would have issues running PS5 exclusives so it's unlikely.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Wget it. Can the PC dick measuring move on from this thread?

thelastword thelastword even made a thread to flex in.

To be fair, the MW models/animation run on the Xbox as well.

Like I said, it’s a lot more recent. You would expect that.

Armorian

Banned
I’m sorry but playing MW on pc at ultra in 200+ fps in 4k, the character models and animations are much better than UC4.

Levels are on par, with MW having more detail. But to be fair, UC4 has some gorgeous visuals you wouldnt get in MW anyway.

For the most part it’s like comparing Zelda to Mario. You can compare a few things, but most of it’s subjective.

You have 4080ti prototype?

performance-3840-2160.png

Well, to be fair, he does hit different angles in each piece. He says Sony will win overall because of exclusives and their larger base, while Microsoft's advantage is the 'Game Pass' program. Fair evaluations. He doesn't seem to be biased either way, but just pointing out what he thinks both's strengths are and where that will eventually lead.

The articles themselves may be a lot more nuanced, but those titles are clickbait AF and only there to stoke console warriors. I mean, I mostly agree with their general points but those titles just made me not want to bother reading them whatsoever.

maybe XSX trailer or Halo trailer

More or less confirmed, I mean there isn't too much else they have to talk about that hasn't already been shown or mentioned. Thinking it'll be both XSX and either some Halo stuff, or next-gen Madden stuff from EA tied in.

Ahah am I the only one who thinks series x looks nice? probably my favorite looking console. See what ps5 looks like maybe look even better

Meh, it looks okay. Too utilitarian and unassuming for my tastes, though. PS5 dev kit has more flair in its design even if it looks like a router. Neither system's designs are coming anywhere near my favorite-looking consoles, though.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
To be fair, the MW models/animation run on the Xbox as well.

Like I said, it’s a lot more recent. You would expect that.

If people want to flex the PC dick, which they have been for some time in here and we all know who they are, then don’t complain about TLW.

Then one comes off looking bias. I say this as always been PC first since the C64 days and DOS gaming on up.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Will be interesting if PS5 enhanced UC4 to run true 4K and 60fps.

LED Guy?

Banned
Can we expect something close to this graphically on next-gen? (This is the entire short movie)

I mean, it was running on AMD’s RX 5700 XT (9.75 TF RDNA card) at 1440p/30 FPS and they have showcased how with AMD’s new sharpening technology called “CAS” is gonna make a 1440p image look as good as native 4K or whatever.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Yes, it's clear he has no info on these dev kits..

First you said he didn't trust his info and that's why he deleted it and now you're saying it's clear he has no info on these dev kits.

You don't know that.

This conversation is about what he said, and he says he may have deleted a real scoop.

johnjohn

First you said he didn't trust his info and that's why he deleted it and now you're saying it's clear he has no info on these dev kits.

You don't know that.

This conversation is about what he said, and he says he may have deleted a real scoop.
He said he has no info lol. The only reason he said he may have deleted a scoop is because of the SeX rumors, which he also has no info on. It's clearly a weak source that he heard 12.9 from, so I'm really not sure why anyone would be putting faith into that. Just look at all the fake insiders going around spreading 'info"...

Last edited:

Reindeer

Uncharted 4 looks better.

Look through this generation and find which games won the MOST best visuals awards.

PS5 exclusives will likely look better for most of the next generation than anything on the PC.

You have links saying PS5 exclusives are coming to PC?
If not you are trolling.

Also I think PC would have issues running PS5 exclusives so it's unlikely.

To be fair COD is one of the best looking games this generation and it's running at 60FPS (another is RE2 Remake) unlike most other best looking games that run at 30FPS.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
If people want to flex the PC dick, which they have been for some time in here and we all know who they are, then don’t complain about TLW.

Then one comes off looking bias. I say this as always been PC first since the C64 days and DOS gaming on up.

Im not flexing anything. I couldnt care less what platform is best. I play them all. But to say X is better than Y when it’s NOT subjective (such as art) is wrong, and I’ll discuss it. I’ll complain about anybody who does otherwise, regardless of what colour Tshirt you’re wearing, and have done this entire thread.

Also, I speak with, game with and chat with other devs regularly, some of whom I’ve worked with in the past, al of different studios and backgrounds, andwhile the consensus is UC4 is a gorgeous game, it’s also not a perfect game, and MW has it beat in facial technology and mapping. BUT AGAIN... this is years later. And this runs at 60fps on a base console. Twice that of uncharted.

this isn’t fanboy talk, this is technology talk. It’s not thisdesign is better than that, it’s pure advancement in technology.

And that’s totally ok.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Im not flexing anything. I couldnt care less what platform is best. I play them all. But to say X is better than Y when it’s NOT subjective (such as art) is wrong, and I’ll discuss it. I’ll complain about anybody who does otherwise, regardless of what colour Tshirt you’re wearing, and have done this entire thread.

TLW would have never made that post if the same old repeated PC is so YUGE kept being repeated every 3 pages.

I’m not saying you are the one, clearly, but follow the exchange. Hence why the PC fanboy flex should move to that other thread and so will the defensive clap backs.

And it all started from someone being defensive at a benign post repeating what Schreier said about what he heard for power equivalence. It’s fucking silly.

Last edited:
Reactions: TLZ

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
You mean UC? I don't think it's bullshot at all, game has TAA that cleans up edges quite good but you can see that's not perfect on this SS.

Edit: I'm replaying UC4 right now and game still looks amazing. Some levels are quite plain (Scotland) but Madagascar and islands looks great + game has the best interactive foliage to date and very high resolution volumetric godrays for a console (I think I have only seen better on Fallout 4 on PC ultra). Only real stinker is low shadow resolution in some locations.
No Call of Duty is the Bullshot

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
To be perfectly blunt power doesn’t dictate you will make a gorgeous game, and it never has. It actually means that usually, less qualified devs will make a worse game, because they won’t optimise for shit. That’s been done far, far more times.

So, look at games running on base ps4 hardware, and how there is barely anything out there still that touches it in a LOT of ways. For all the fanboy hate Gears 5 gets its also a god damn stunning game in spots.

The only take away people should have is that games are about to get seriously fucking good in the right hands.

Last edited:
To be honest, Uncharted 4 has much more geometry, higher detailed character models, better lighting and global illumination, much wider areas, better effects and smoke effects, better textures overall, more detailed world and better AI than the latest Modern Warfare 2019, Uncharted 4 is a 2016 game.

Stop kidding yourself. Uncharted 4 is a much more demanding game on PS4 than MW 2019.

Yes MW at times packs more condensed visual awe than Uncharted 4 and that’s due to Uncharted 4’s open world levels at times.

Uncharted 4 is a 30 FPS game, Modern Warfare is a 60 FPS, and the PC version looks almost identical to the base PS4 version except for higher resolutions and higher FPS and those Nvidia RT shadows, nothing more.

People really do need to stop sleeping on console titles just because they're console titles lol. There are many console titles across the years that have looked as good or better than anything I've seen on PC. I don't care how much better a PC version would or could have looked. The point is that the damn game looks incredible on the console it's on, and when compared to big PC titles, regardless of whether I'm being drawn in by production value or art direction, I still find this console game to look as amazing or better than what's available on PC. Console titles can compete with what's on PC, and has been doing so for years.

RookX22

To be perfectly blunt power doesn’t dictate you will make a gorgeous game, and it never has. It actually, sadly, means that usually, less qualified devs will make a worse game, because they won’t optimise for shit. That’s been done far, far more times.

So, look at games running on base pa4 hardware, and how there is barely anything out there still that touches it in a LOT of ways. For all the fanboy hate Gears 5 gets its also a god damn stunning game in spots.

The only take away people should have is that games are about to get seriously fucking good in the right hands.
I feel this so hard, trying to play ac odyssey on my pc low settings at 1080p and still drop below 60s on the regular. spec 2700 @ 3.8ghz vega 56 @ 1600mhz bdie 3200 cl14 ram.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
He said he has no info lol. The only reason he said he may have deleted a scoop is because of the SeX rumors, which he also has no info on. It's clearly a weak source that he heard 12.9 from, so I'm really not sure why anyone would be putting faith into that. Just look at all the fake insiders going around spreading 'info"...

No, he said he didn't trust his source and that's why he deleted his info. After the Xbox Series X numbers started to float around, that's when he started started to believe what his source was telling him. He later said that he may have deleted a real scoop.

You don't have to put faith in where he got is info from, but the fact that you're trying so hard to twist his words is ridiculous at this point.

Zero909

Banned
Perfect Dark was rumored for a while. Before that leak
1-MS negotiation with Asobo who is making MS FS
2-MS Looking for polish studio and The Farm 51 is polish
3-Yesterday we learned about MS negotiation with platinum games
4-Relic entertainment i would not be surprised if MS tried to acquire them because they are making AOE IV but they probably failed so they end up creating World Edge studio
5-klobrille said MS was in talk with studio worked with Sony in the past
All Specs for XSX And Lockhart pretty much spot on,
No Comment on PS5
Launch games
most of these are safe pick expect for PD and Killer Instinct,
OrisisBlack said Xbox is making fighting game
Also Bleeding Edge is not %100 true but it is 2020 title
Big services : Xbox game pass on PC and Xbox game pass ultimate.
as for the rest i have no comment on them.

Now i'm not saying this leak is true,
I just find it hilarious

Last edited:

RookX22

People really do need to stop sleeping on console titles just because they're console titles lol. There are many console titles across the years that have looked as good or better than anything I've seen on PC. I don't care how much better a PC version would or could have looked. The point is that the damn game looks incredible on the console it's on, and when compared to big PC titles, regardless of whether I'm being drawn in by production value or art direction, I still find this console game to look as amazing or better than what's available on PC. Console titles can compete with what's on PC, and has been doing so for years.
I am playing luigis mansion 3 on switch right now and it looks so good especially for the hardware. For me its all about value per dollar people should go look up videos of a rx 5700 xt vs a 2080ti at 4k benchmarks, 400$ vs 1000$ and in the benchmarks the 2080ti gets like 10-20 fps more on most games. Is that really worth over twice the money?

Last edited:

JLB

Banned

Nah, PC games will always look better. I am a console player mostly, but a couple of friends have crazy PCs (like 3k+ machines) and theres nothing on any console that comes nearly close to that. But not even close.

johnjohn

No, he said he didn't trust his source and that's why he deleted his info. After the Xbox Series X numbers started to float around, that's when he started started to believe what his source was telling him. He later said that he may have deleted a real scoop.

You don't have to put faith in where he got is info from, but the fact that you're trying so hard to twist his words is ridiculous at this point.
Twist his words lol? He didn't trust the source, so he deleted the info... That's kind of all there is to it. Obviously it would suck if he deleted legit info way before anyone else had it.,

I'm not really sure what you're trying to make out of his tweets? Benji gets some sales info, that's all the insider info he has.

Last edited:
You have 4080ti prototype?

performance-3840-2160.png

The stories from some people :messenger_tears_of_joy:. Know what I've started to do lately? Call people out that tell me they have these amazing PC GPUs to show proof. Show me a screen or picture of them logged into their twitter profile with the nvidia control panel up showing the monster GPU they claim to have. I've asked this of over 20 people on twitter over the last year. Guess what? Not one was able to do so. Not one. In fairness, there's one I actually believed, so I didn't require any proof, but the rest?

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Fucks sake, ok, I’m not even near the pc but I’ll boot the counting thing up just for you slags if it will make you happy.

Edit: haven’t played it in a few weeks and now it wants me to update shaders since that last patch. So, give me a bit...

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Twist his words lol? He didn't trust the source, so he deleted the info... That's kind of all there is to it. Obviously it would suck if he deleted legit info way before anyone else had it..
And he said

"makes what I posted much more likely now "

This means he finds out the info he received more believable AFTER hearing the number of the Xbox Series X.

Yes, you're twisting his words and ignoring the fact that he said, ""makes what I posted much more likely now. ""

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom