• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

hemo memo

February 14 – Media Molecule from 4PM – 6PM (GMT) and the Dreams Community through the day
February 19 – Naughty Dog from 10:30AM – 12:30PM (PT)
February 20 – Insomniac Games’ President and Founder, Ted Price, from 1PM – 2:30PM (PT)
February 21 – Sid Shuman and Shuhei Yoshida team up for a joint stream

Hope for last week of February?

We should just move on and not expect PS5 news this month.

Where did I ever say my MONITOR is outputting these frame rates? In fact, I seem to remember saying my monitor is old hat, but I haven’t got around to upgrading that part yet...?

Do you guys think you need 250 hrz monitors to run at 250fps...?

That’s not how it works, mate. You can run at any frame rate you want, it just won’t be taken advantage of if your monitor won’t support it. But it will still render at X fps.

Also, I usually run at 60fps capped, due to no need for anything more. I’m eyeing up a new 144 hrz one though for soon.

I agree entirely here. You don't need a monitor that actually supports a certain fps to run at that higher framerate. I use to do it for years on my crt when i played cs 1.6. The monitor just won't be able to get the full benefit of that higher fps due to refresh rate not being able to go that high, but you can absolutely get your game to perform at those levels. What are your typical gameplay framerates though?

DaMonsta

You keep saying he doesn't trust info when that changed after the numbers of the Xbox Series X numbers were revealed. You're purposing misconstrued his words when he clearly says he may have deleted a real scoop. There's no way around that, but for some reason, you're trying to ignore that and keep saying he doesn't trust his source.
He said he doesn’t trust his source, those are his words.

Regardless of his personal opinion on the specs. He felt the source was BS.

In light of recent rumors, he’s saying maybe that old rumor was truth.

Seems everyone is trying to twist things to make themselves right.

If y’all running with benji, then the SeX is confirmed 12TF

IF the SeX is 12TF then that confirms Github.

If Github is confirmed, then benjis’s source is wrong.

If benjis source is wrong then SeX is not 12TF

And you see the hilarity of all this speculation, based on partial, second hand, vague “info” 😂

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I agree entirely here. You don't need a monitor that actually supports a certain fps to run at that higher framerate. I use to do it for years on my crt when i played cs 1.6. The monitor just won't be able to get the full benefit of that higher fps due to refresh rate not being able to go that high, but you can absolutely get your game to perform at those levels. What are your typical gameplay framerates though?

I’ll be honest, I actually game at 60fps locked so I don’t put extra stress on the GPU to run at higher temps, which is why I’m running a little higher than usual here.

I was playing unlocked for a while when I started playing MW a while back and, thinking... I don’t know? I would say 150+? I think I saw it drop to like 147 once when I had a shit load of explosions going on and I was dead, but I tend to not look that often.

I will say mind you, it still runs quake 2 rtx like shit. I do hope you all know I had a hand in that, as I made a lot of the media for it many years ago. *cough*

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
He is not running native 4k. He is using Nvidia DSR 4k res and downsampling to 1080p, ence the high fps.

I’m actually not, and on my daughters life, I haven’t even used that before. It’s 4k, downsample to 1080p. If it was 1080p, it would have hideous stair stepping everywhere, even if it was using up scaling reconstruction.

rsouzadk

I’m actually not, and on my daughters life, I haven’t even used that before. It’s 4k, downsample to 1080p. If it was 1080p, it would have hideous stair stepping everywhere, even if it was using up scaling reconstruction.

Your monitor is fullhd.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Your monitor is fullhd.

And...? What’s that got to do with rendering?

Have I banged my head or something and suddenly everybody has forgotten how technology works?

You can render in 4k, and then downsample so it will render on a 1080p panel. This will create a much nicer image, but comes at an increased performance cost?

Why am I even saying this...? You asked for proof, and I’ve given it you? Not that I needed to even do that, but come on...? This isn’t even the correct thread for it? Posting benchmarks to show me I’m wrong, when those benchmarks could be for SP for all I know (and performance does fall in line with that) is crazy talk.

You asked for proof, you’ve got it. If you don’t know how technology works, go google it. I won’t be addressing this stupid off topic discussion any more, so deal with it. If you want to chat pc shit go to the pc thread.

/end

hemo memo

Still may get an announcement date...

This is a little frustrating. We're only a few months away from PS5's launch and Sony hasn't shown anything. Previous consoles were announced formally more than a year in advance

I know. Every tweet from the official PlayStation account get replies from fans asking about the PS5 reveal. It’s frustration and it’s not only in GAF.

rsouzadk

And...? What’s that got to do with rendering?

Have I banged my head or something and suddenly everybody has forgotten how technology works?

You can render in 4k, and then downsample so it will render on a 1080p panel. This will create a much nicer image, but comes at an increased performance cost?

Why am I even saying this...? You asked for proof, and I’ve given it you? Not that I needed to even do that, but come on...? This isn’t even the correct thread for it? Posting benchmarks to show me I’m wrong, when those benchmarks could be for SP for all I know (and performance does fall in line with that) is crazy talk.

You asked for proof, you’ve got it. If you don’t know how technology works, go google it. I won’t be addressing this stupid off topic discussion any more, so deal with it. If you want to chat pc shit go to the pc thread.

/end
I never asked you nothing. You are talking nonsense.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
He said he doesn’t trust his source, those are his words.

Regardless of his personal opinion on the specs. He felt the source was BS.

In light of recent rumors, he’s saying maybe that old rumor was truth.

Seems everyone is trying to twist things to make themselves right.

If y’all running with benji, then the SeX is confirmed 12TF

IF the SeX is 12TF then that confirms Github.

If Github is confirmed, then benjis’s source is wrong.

If benjis source is wrong then SeX is not 12TF

And you see the hilarity of all this speculation, based on partial, second hand, vague “info” 😂

No.

I don't know why this is so difficult to comprehend for some people, unless they're trying to convince themselves that no matter what, their info is BS.

It's not hard to understand.

If I actually correctly gave the Playstation 5 Teraflop number back at the end of April and deleted it because I didn't trust the source I'm going to be extremely salty lol

Because Anaconda possibly being 12TF makes what I posted much more likely now

Lmao

He did not trust his source AT THE TIME because the nearly 13TF rumor didn't seem likely.

Now after the Xbox Series X reveal, he regrets deleting his post. This does NOT mean he doesn't trust his source now. It's obvious that he changed his mind AFTER the Xbox Series X reveal.

That is perfectly clear.

To be clear I have no idea what the Xbox Scarlett Teraflop number is either than what's been posted by Windows Central

I have no idea if what I heard about the PS5 TF number is real

But the fact I may have deleted a real scoop is hilarious

He makes a similar statement by saying, "The fact I may have deleted a real scoop is hilarious."

You guys keep saying he doesn't trust his source when it's clear that's the way he felt WHEN he posted the tweet back in April.

Vgleaks had their own source regarding the early 2012 PS4 dev kit specs, and vg247 even tells you outright in the article that their source is multiple developers talking to them (not unlike klee, matt, osiris, Heisenberg, (I don't believe Tommy Fishy)).

Funny you can't even provide receipts and links for your claims anymore because you know the dates contradict your argument. Show me proof where SuperDae leaked PS4 info before or on June 2012 and that they were the source for Vgleak, I'll be waiting. :messenger_tears_of_joy: Now you're making stuff up to fit your narrative, who's the one denying reality again?
Superdae was the one who released all the Xbox details. He hacked it. He wasn't a developer, he was a hacker. Google is your friend.
And your refusal to accept that all the insider info that goes back to the same time period away from launch as when people like your beloved Klee was absolute rubbish, is your issue to deal with and not mine.

Last edited:

johnjohn

No.

I don't know why this is so difficult to comprehend for some people, unless they're trying to convince themselves that no matter what, their info is BS.

It's not hard to understand.

He did not trust his source AT THE TIME because the nearly 13TF rumor didn't seem likely.

Now after the Xbox Series X reveal, he regrets deleting his post. This does NOT mean he doesn't trust his source now. It's obvious that he changed his mind AFTER the Xbox Series X reveal.

That is perfectly clear.

He makes a similar statement by saying, "The fact I may have deleted a real scoop is hilarious."

You guys keep saying he doesn't trust his source when it's clear that's the way he felt WHEN he posted the tweet back in April.
You are making things up at this point. He didn't trust the source and he hasn't said anything to suggest that he changed his mind. The info the source gave him seems more believable to him after the SeX rumors, that doesn't mean the source is more trustworthy to him. The only reason you'd gain trust in a source is if they gave you info that turned out to be true, and he hasn't stated that has happened.

You're the one twisting his words and it's hilarious that you can't see that.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned

February 14 – Media Molecule from 4PM – 6PM (GMT) and the Dreams Community through the day
February 20 – Insomniac Games’ President and Founder, Ted Price, from 1PM – 2:30PM (PT)

Hope for last week of February?

I hope this is all PS4 and it goes like this

MM shows Dreams and some ace Gameplay...and some creators content....

Naughty Shows LOU2 and continue to blow minds

Insomniac releases or shows a Resistance Trilogy Remaster/Remake

They talk about PS4 indies still coming up.....Updates on Lost Soul Aside and many other PS4 games including Ghosts of Tsushima....FF7 Remake, Nioh 2, Persona Royal, Predator, Pathless, Yakuza: Like a Dragon, Gran Blue Fantasy and a host of VR games like Ironman.....

LED Guy?

Banned
God of War is one of the best looking games I've ever fucking seen. I'd throw that up there next to anything on PC imo.
God of War on my PS4 Pro with my 4K/HDR TV looks better than anything I have ever seen on PC, and I have a GTX 1080 with i5-6600K both overclocked and I haven’t seen anything on it that looks as good as that beast of a game! It is a masterpiece in everything!

Last edited:

THE:MILKMAN

So which so called insiders lose their credibility if a Feb reveal doesn't happen?

Doesn't matter. Plans change™ covers everything :messenger_winking:

I hope this is all PS4 and it goes like this

MM shows Dreams and some ace Gameplay...and some creators content....

Naughty Shows LOU2 and continue to blow minds

Insomniac releases or shows a Resistance Trilogy Remaster/Remake

They talk about PS4 indies still coming up.....Updates on Lost Soul Aside and many other PS4 games including Ghosts of Tsushima....FF7 Remake, Nioh 2, Persona Royal, Predator, Pathless, Yakuza: Like a Dragon, Gran Blue Fantasy and a host of VR games like Ironman.....

I don't think this is about any reveals of Sony games. It is simply some high-up execs and Sony devs taking time to help raise money for the bushfire victims by playing existing games.

Jtibh

Banned
Uncharted 4 looks better.

Look through this generation and find which games won the MOST best visuals awards.

PS5 exclusives will likely look better for most of the next generation than anything on the PC.

You have links saying PS5 exclusives are coming to PC?
If not you are trolling.

Also I think PC would have issues running PS5 exclusives so it's unlikely.

Ok everyone lets stop this shit right here.

Pc will always be better at a premium price.
Ps5 will always be better at budget $500 price.

There is no winner here.

Simple answer is you get what you pay for.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
You are making things up at this point. He didn't trust the source and he hasn't said anything to suggest that he changed his mind. The info the source gave him seems more believable to him after the SeX rumors, that doesn't mean the source is more trustworthy to him. The only reason you'd gain trust in a source is if they gave you info that turned out to be true, and he hasn't stated that has happened.

You're the one twisting his words and it's hilarious that you can't see that.
The gif he posted literally says, "I've made a huge mistake."

That means he regretted deleting the tweet. You can deny all you want, but the evidence is clear enough.

LED Guy?

Banned
So according to this video they are still having problems with PS4 BC........wow
If he’s right, because I have seen Sony making a statement like 2 or 3 months ago that they’re trying to make PS4 BC possible or something along those lines, but if RedGamingTech is right, then this basically is another evidence that the Oberon 9.2 TF 36 CUs leak is wrong because the PS4 Pro was a 36 CU console and it played the base PS4 games with no problems, so how is PS5 having problems if it is a 36 CU console?

I can see Sony having problems with PS4 BC because they may have 54 CUs or around it.

whoever81

Ok everyone lets stop this shit right here.

Ps5 will always be better at budget $500 price.

There is no winner here.

Simple answer is you get what you pay for.

Meh. Let them fight to death!

Last edited:

PocoJoe

Banned
Easy to claim "if something doesnt happen" lol.

Sony farts tiny information or patents surface = "yeah something happened, no bans"

Felessan

Not always.
Technology eventually will hit plateau. And PC will always have legacy overhead issues, those increase over time. So at some point of time brute force aproach on PC and strict requirement to support all outdated legacy stuff will backfire badly on PC side.

Last edited:

Zero909

Banned
If he’s right, because I have seen Sony making a statement like 2 or 3 months ago that they’re trying to make PS4 BC possible or something along those lines, but if RedGamingTech is right, then this basically is another evidence that the Oberon 9.2 TF 36 CUs leak is wrong because the PS4 Pro was a 36 CU console and it played the base PS4 games with no problems, so how is PS5 having problems if it is a 36 CU console?

I can see Sony having problems with PS4 BC because they may have 54 CUs or around it.
maybe or maybe not because he says the revision is oberon C0 and we all know oberon B0 is 36CU
So we back to github shenanigans

Last edited:

Fdkenzo

Hy,
I am curious, is it possible on PSVR2 and the NexT generation hardware, to play an online Multiplayer game similar to the movie Ready Player One?

Banned
God of War on my PS4 Pro with my 4K/HDR TV looks better than anything I have ever seen on PC, and I have a GTX 1080 with i5-6600K both overclocked and I haven’t seen anything on it that looks as good as that beast of a game! It is a masterpiece in everything!

it's optimised to run at 30fps.
if a developer would do another Crysis that no normal PC can get even remotely to a stable 60fps, you would see games on PC outclassing God of War by a landslide.
but games like that don't really release anymore... PC players would be furious if such a game would release these days, it would rain bad steam reviews from the skies. just imagine the outcry of PC players if a new game would come out and you can't get at least a completely locked 60fps with a RTX2080 even at 1440p and at low settings.
that was crysis back then. even a 8800GTX with a Core 2 Quad couldn't lock to 60 at low and sub HD.

Crysis back then was so far ahead of its time that it still looks really damn good for modern standards.
and Crysis 3 is still used as a GPU benchmark to this day because of the extreme settings it pushed.

games like that don't exist anymore as devlopers develop for console first and PC second. Which in turn conditioned PC players to expect that every game runs at above 60FPS with ease, and that it's just a matter of how high a framerate you want... because these games don't push the hardware at all anymore

Last edited:
PLAYSTATION 5 IS COMING IN 2020!
As anticipation builds for the release of the Sony Playstation 5 sometime in winter of 2020, it’s always fun to speculate about the possibilities. That said, here’s a look at the PS5 news we can confirm.
The PS5 Design Includes The Ability To Play Physical & Digital Media
This was one of the biggest questions around the PS5 specs, and it has now been confirmed. The PS5 will have a drive for playing physical copies of games and media, as well as have the ability to play digital game downloads and streams.
What is The Playstation 5 Release Date and Price Point?
While there is no specific day for the PS5 release date, Sony has revelated that it will come out during the Holiday 2020 window – so between October and December. As for the PS5 price point, Sony has yet to announce anything concrete. The Playstation 4 and subsequent Playstation 4 Pro each cost $399, but it’s quite possible the PS5 price point could be higher.
The New Playstation 5 Controller Has Been Redesigned
The name hasn’t been announced (here’s guessing it’s the DualShock 5), but the new PS5 controller is confirmed to have several new features. Replacing the rumble technology will be haptic feedback, making the physical feedback between PS5 controller and player much more immersive and realistic. The triggers on the PS5 controller will be adaptive, meaning they can be programmed with varying resistance to simulate actions more realistically. Design-wise, it’s expected the PS5 controller will look similar to the DualShock 4 but expect a few differences as well.
The PS5 Specs Are Sure To Impress
While the world eagerly awaits to get a look at the Playstation 5 hardware, Sony has revealed what’s under the hood, and there’s no shortage of horsepower.
  • Full 8K TV support
  • Bespoke 8-core AMD chipset
  • 3D Audio
  • Built-for-purpose SSD storage
  • Backwards compatibility with PS4 games/PSVR hardware
  • Ray tracing capabilities
These features reveal the PS5 will boast more speed, visual fidelity and overall power. Of course, the fact that new PS5 games will include your Playstation 4 library through backwards compatibility is great news for current PS4 owners.
Stay tuned to this page for the latest Playstation 5 news as it becomes available, including information about pricing and the exact release date.

PLAYSTATION 5 - FROM THE DESK OF GAME INFORMER
The next generation of video games begins this holiday, and a new era of gaming will unfold through PlayStation 5, Sony’s newest console that is designed to reduce load times, improve graphics, and deliver both physical and digital games. Sony hasn’t revealed the look of PlayStation 5 yet, and has kept many of its details shrouded in mystery, but has discussed what’s inside the machine a fair bit. PlayStation 5 will feature a solid-state drive, an enhanced GPU capable of delivering ray tracing, and an 8-core, 16-thread CPU based on AMD’s Zen 2 microarchitecture.
The PlayStation 5 controller replaces the rumble technology found in the DualShock 4 with haptic feedback, which will give players a wider range of feedback. You’ll feel the difference in textures as your car drives over rocks or mud through the haptic response. The controller also boasts new adaptive triggers that give developers the freedom to determine how much resistance is applied to the L2 and R2 buttons. Meaning one could get a little harder to push as you draw a bow.
The PlayStation 5’s user interface is being expanded in innovative ways, one allowing players to see what is happening in a game without even booting it up. From the PlayStation 5 menu, you can see which multiplayer matches are available or what single-player missions you are on in the game.
No price, release details, or even games have been announced yet, but we’re hoping to learn more soon.

TLZ

Banned
Soadi Soadi

RWiOA8I.png

A NEW WAY TO POWER YOUR DREAMS – INTRODUCING THE XBOX SERIES X
Formerly known as Xbox Project Scarlet, the highly anticipated new Microsoft console now has an official name: Xbox Series X.
Serious Horsepower Under The Hood
While the details regarding the Xbox Series X price and release date aren’t confirmed, those looking to buy an Xbox Series X console will be excited to learn that several other details that have been revealed. For starters, the Xbox Series X has four times more processing power than its predecessor, the Xbox One X.
According to Game Informer magazine, the Xbox Series X console, “Uses a custom AMC processor with the ‘latest Zen 2 and next-generation RDNA architecture.’ The system does 4K and 60FPS, of course, but is capable of doing 8K and 120FPS.” You can find more technical specs at https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/12/13/xbox-series-x-hardware-controller-details
What’s In The Box?
The Xbox Series X console has been featured in a vertical position, boasting an elegant black case with a disc drive, eject button, and power button. There’s a vent on the top. Microsoft has also confirmed that the Xbox Series X games will play just fine with the system laid horizontally. This versatility will certainly be a factor when deciding whether to put in a Xbox Series X pre-order when that option becomes available.
As for the Xbox Series X controller, the new design includes a slightly reshaped iteration of the Xbox One controller. The tweaked size and shape, along with a dedicated share button in the middle, should make the Xbox Series X controller a beloved accessory, much like its predecessor.
The Games Are Coming
So far, the only Xbox Series X game that has been announced is Ninja Theory’s Senua’s Sage: Hellblade II. The teaser trailer released for this Xbox Series X game shows the visual fidelity and graphical capabilities of what’s to come on the Xbox Series X, formerly known as Xbox Project Scarlett.
For those who want to buy Xbox Series X when it is released during its planned launch during the Holiday 2020 season, keep an eye on GameStop.com for Xbox Series X pre-order information and more details about system as they’re released in the coming months.

MORE INFORMATION FROM GAME INFORMER
Microsoft’s next-generation of games and consoles is simply called “Xbox.” The simplification in the name may seem confusing at first, but it fits into Microsoft’s strategy of uniting it’s current- and next-generation plans under one name. If you own an Xbox One, your controller, and accessories will work on the forthcoming Xbox: Series X, which was originally codenamed Project Scarlett.
Xbox: Series X is the most powerful machine Microsoft has ever built, featuring a CPU that will be four times more powerful than Xbox One X. The machine will deliver 8K resolution and up to 120 frames-per-second for some games. The hardware is tall and slender, standing in at 12 inches in height and six inches wide. The Series X comes packaged with a new controller that looks similar in design to the Xbox One controller, yet features a redesigned directional-pad as well as a dedicated button for sharing videos and screenshots.
Microsoft hopes to have the Series X on store shelves this holiday with an exciting franchise returning as a launch title. Halo: Infinite is planned to kick off Microsoft’s next-generation efforts on day one!

MARTYWOLF

I'm more of a pc guy with a love for phanteks cases so the basic design of the series x is amazing in my eyes. The ps5 devkit is interesting but reminds me of fake renders someone would of made for 360 or ps3 all them years ago ofcourse I don't think final product will look like that

The articles themselves may be a lot more nuanced, but those titles are clickbait AF and only there to stoke console warriors. I mean, I mostly agree with their general points but those titles just made me not want to bother reading them whatsoever.

More or less confirmed, I mean there isn't too much else they have to talk about that hasn't already been shown or mentioned. Thinking it'll be both XSX and either some Halo stuff, or next-gen Madden stuff from EA tied in.

Meh, it looks okay. Too utilitarian and unassuming for my tastes, though. PS5 dev kit has more flair in its design even if it looks like a router. Neither system's designs are coming anywhere near my favorite-looking consoles, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom