• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kobi

I had a dream that Darth Vader came from planet Vulcan and told me that the winning console is the one that will focus on tv, not power.

Does this make me an insider now?

Get verified or I'm calling the cops!

Least its not boring in here. Brain melting yes, but not boring

*Ninja edit

Last edited:
Lol dreams are fun ā€œSubstantiallyā€ šŸ˜‚
Yep, the difference will be quite obvious when the specs are announced. I expect Sony fans to start searching for secret sauce, for how the SSD speed difference is the most important thing e.t.c . I donā€™t post much anyway, but I find threads like this quite interesting because if you look things objectively and analyze how each company is communicating its plans for these consoles it Is very easy to come to a logical conclusion without needing Ā«insidersĀ» to tell you what to believe.

TLZ

Banned
So basically...

- If there's a leak on oudated (lack of context) test PS5 = 9tf

- If unit costs $450, PS5 = 9tf

- If the price is $399, PS5 = 9tf

- If Sony is waiting for MS to reveal their price, PS5 = 9tf

- If Sony is investing more money on cooling solution, PS5 = 2ghz (which means 9tf)

- If Xbox costs more than $450, PS5 = 9t

- If Sony farts, PS5 = 9tf

I mean for the love of God, what happened to the commonsense??
TimDog happened.

Yep, the difference will be quite obvious when the specs are announced. I expect Sony fans to start searching for secret sauce, for how the SSD speed difference is the most important thing e.t.c . I donā€™t post much anyway, but I find threads like this quite interesting because if you look things objectively and analyze how each company is communicating its plans for these consoles it Is very easy to come to a logical conclusion without needing Ā«insidersĀ» to tell you what to believe.
Even if it is 9.2 vs 12 thatā€™s 30% which is less than 42% of ps4 vs x1 or pro vs x1x. So I donā€™t get where this huge difference comes from

pasterpl

"Enables us" =/= "We'll deliver that". And also, processing power, not teraflops.
That was only referring to the CPU. Otherwise we'd be looking at 24 TF... and that's not going to happen.

I was about to add that I am not expecting XSEX to be 24TF...but it is interesting that everyone here quotes what Phil said but ignores the press release....both are extremely vague and can mean a lot of things, so why not entertain both ;)

Mendou

Banned
Scarce components have pushed the manufacturing costs for Sony Corp.ā€™s next PlayStation to around $450 per unit, forcing a difficult price-setting decision in its battle with Microsoft Corp., according to people with knowledge of the matter.
That doesn't sound like it's going to be above 11TF of RDNA power. The $400 price point of the PS4 in 2013 is roughly equivalent to $450 today, and if Microsoft sells their console at a loss for $500 then expect Sony to sell their console at $500 as well, ensuring that they make $50 instead of lose $50 per console. Remember that they sold the PS4 at almost no loss. The PlayStation name alone should get the PS5 selling tons of units regardless.

Most of the components for the console have been locked down, the people said, including the cooling system, which is unusually expensive at a few dollars per unit. Typically, companies would spend less than a dollar, but Sony opted to lavish more on making sure heat dissipation from the powerful chips housed inside the console isnā€™t an issue.
More than one chip confirmed? Who knows. A bigger cooling system would need to support the APU if it's going to be 1.8-2ghz like the Github leak suggests.

Sony executives are voicing patience about the next consoleā€™s pricing as they anticipate the transition to be a gradual one, said people familiar with its day-to-day operations.
That sounds like a $500 price. Not everyone will be able to afford it.

What does everyone else think about this?

pasterpl

Scarce components have pushed the manufacturing cost...

Does this mean that the BOM would be lower if not the market demand for these components? Just wondering if this is the impact of Coronavirus that some were worried about. Not shortages but the price hike.

also 600 for a series x and 500 for a ps5 isn't much even if you add 300 for a switch its still cheaper than a gaming pc. i could afford all of these when i was in high school with a regular job

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Ok, so, realistically... What sort of damage is eating letā€™s say $100 of the cost going to be? Letā€™s say PS5/SX costs $450 to make, whatā€™s stopping them from eating $100 of the cost and releasing it at $350? We all know they make their money massively from other areas.

Is that really such an outlandish thing to do? Release at such a price, eat the loss, but gain market share...?

Last edited:

FranXico

Ok, so, realistically... What sort of damage is eating letā€™s say $100 of the cost going to be? Letā€™s say PS5/SX costs $450 to make, whatā€™s stopping them from eating $100 of the cost and releasing it at $350? We all know they make their money massively from other areas.

Is that really such an outlandish thing to do? Release at such a price, eat the loss, but gain market share...?
It's going to cost them more than the BOM alone. They would be taking a hit of more than $100.

lynux3

You sound like you've been waiting six years for this.

bitbydeath

No I donā€™t, the bom is now higher because of Ram and NAND, even with the 399 Bom you wouldnā€™t get a 10+ Navi TF machine from Sony. With the 399 in place ... when designing including the memory and NAND setup.

They already pushed the performance envelope with the setup they have ... the set back this time is RAM and NAND, ironic really as RAM favored them last gen.

So you think a 9-10TF machine will cost $500-$550?

12TF must be what, $700-$750?

Again 450 BOM means by the time it hits retail it costs them around $540(Manufacturing, shipping , retailers cut,...) so they need to take 140$ loss per console .

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
It's going to cost them more than the BOM alone. They would be taking a hit of more than $100.

The business side of things is a bit out of my reach as you can see. But surely even though it would present a substantial amount of loss in one area, the potential gains on software and online would more than make up for it if you sold gang busters?

Like letā€™s say PS5 comes in at $450 and MS swoop in with $350, but they eat a much larger loss. MS some how end ip selling 10 million consoles in a year and Sony only 5 (yeah, I know, not likely but hear me out). Surely with that 10 million sold, you would get a loss of 100x10m. But would the sales of everything else make up for that, or would it still be a money burner?

Again, not my area of talk, but an interesting one none the less.

Again 450 BOM means by the time it hits retail it costs them around $540(Manufacturing, shipping , retailers cut,...) so they need to take 140$ loss per console .

Ouch, thatā€™s... a lot of pennies...

Last edited:

TBiddy

I was about to add that I am not expecting XSEX to be 24TF...but it is interesting that everyone here quotes what Phil said but ignores the press release....both are extremely vague and can mean a lot of things, so why not entertain both ;)

I think he actually confirmed he was referring to the CPU when he said "four times XBX". That said, I don't take his word as gospel when we're talking about 12 TF.

Kobi

Exactly what I was saying before. If people actually assume the ps5 is 13.8(RDNA) with this crazy fast ssd and whatever else. You'll be looking at Ā£/$700.

These machines will be at least 399, but I'd imagine closer to 450-550. That's why it's important to factor in Sony's ssd and try to work out how much they have invested into this. You honestly can't rule out this ssd costing near enough the same as the apu - if it truly is an absolute monster.

Last edited:

M-V2

So it looks like my last comments were correct despite the hate. With 450$ BOM Sony wants to build another weak console. 8TF is a given at this point and it also explains why Phil Spencer is so confident about XSX because their console should be 50% faster.
8TF?? I need to go back & edit my previous post šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

• LOL
Reactions: TLZ

ZywyPL

Banned

It's hard/impossible to tell without the BOM itself, what it consists of and for what prices. Because what if Sony's SSD solution really is that much better, but also that much more expensive? So let's say we are looking at 100$ APU plus 100$ SSD in the PS5, vs a 140$ APU and 60$ SSD in XBX? Different GPu performance, but the same overall price.

Zero909

Banned
Oh shit we 8tf now šŸ¤£

Can I get any advance on 8? Anybody want to try 7? Can I hear 7?

I would just like to point out again that you WANT these two machines to be as close as possible in power, so that we ALL get the best experience. ā¤
more like 8.7TF

Fake

Note that this is referring to when the decision is internally communicated. This is independent of Sony public announcements. Could also mean that they expect MS to have announced their specs by then.

Can't be after E3 thats for sure. Every date before E3 could be correct.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Even if it is 9.2 vs 12 thatā€™s 30% which is less than 42% of ps4 vs x1 or pro vs x1x. So I donā€™t get where this huge difference comes from
30% is a lot, but the most important part is price. If the PS5 and XSX have the same price, well 30% less powerful would be a big issue if you don't really notice the SSD speed difference. If PS5 is cheaper, then that's their decision. But purely just power, 30% difference is noticeable.

Last edited by a moderator:
How many of any of us have even the slightest goddamn clue about how much anything involved with console manufacturing costs? Are we all suddenly experts in b2b parts sales for parts that are expected to have volume in the millions?

People have been saying stupid shit like "How can a console that retails at $400-500 perform as well as or faster than a GPU that costs $400-500?" As if Nvidia and AMD sell their GPUs at cost with zero margins.

It's fine making estimates, but nobody here can make any claims regarding how much an X TeraFLOP console (fucking GPU compute performance obsession) costs to make, with any degree of certainty.

Banned
How many of any of us have even the slightest goddamn clue about how much anything involved with console manufacturing costs? Are we all suddenly experts in b2b parts sales for parts that are expected to have volume in the millions?

People have been saying stupid shit like "How can a console that retails at $400-500 perform as well as or faster than a GPU that costs $400-500?" As if Nvidia and AMD sell their GPUs at cost with zero margins.

It's fine making estimates, but nobody here can make any claims regarding how much an X TeraFLOP console (fucking GPU compute performance obsession) costs to make, with any degree of certainty.

we can look at past consoles.
and if we look, the PS4 which retailed at $400 had a gpu in it which was equivalent to a ~$230 PC graphics card that was already 2 years old at that point.
and the PS4 apparently just about broke even at launch.

the PS4 also had a pretty mid tier 500GB HDD that didn't cost much... it had pretty cheap fans and a pretty cheap CPU.

meanwhile we expect the PS5 to have a high end SSD and a pretty good CPU.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
10 dollars Sony, 10 fucking Dollars and you would have
ultimate-cosmic-powers.gif

Stop being cheap

When Digital Foundry said that a PS5 9.2tf console could mean a $399 launch price-point I saw here a lot astroturfers clainming that it made sense.

Now that just the console production could cost around $500 I see the same people clamining that a PS5 9.2tf console makes sense too!! :)

8Ox2e9z.gif

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
So apparently Sonyā€™ system has a bill of materials of barely 450$ , possibly slightly lower but close to 450$ while the new Xbox is between 460-520$ (closer to 520$). Thatā€™s a substantial difference that finally lays to rest any doubts about which system will be stronger and Ā«insidersĀ» are proven to be wrong by common sense really, cause it was obvious that MS would built the most powerful they could and their message with the new Xbox had been clear since day one.

This is a rumor, not fact and even if true does not necessarily mean what you think it means. We don't know what each company spent on certain aspects for instance Xbox could gave spent more on cooling as opposed to sony hence higher bom. Come on ppl stop trying so hard and use some common sense.

We are at the same point, we don't know shit! Also Sony's AMD agreement won't be the same as Microsofts although similar.

bitbydeath

we can look at past consoles.
and if we look, the PS4 which retailed at $400 had a gpu in it which was equivalent to a ~$230 PC graphics card that was already 2 years old at that point.
and the PS4 apparently just about broke even at launch.

the PS4 also had a pretty mid tier 500GB HDD that didn't cost much... it had pretty cheap fans and a pretty cheap CPU.

meanwhile we expect the PS5 to have a high end SSD and a pretty good CPU.

If we go buy the $380 figure as PS4 BOM. Console retailed for $400, and sold at a loss of $60 then we have $80 for the remainder.

Inflation may peak it to $100. (And is a nice easy number to add with)

So weā€™re looking at $550-$570 without them eating cost.

Saying all that their numbers are estimates too so we should probably just wait for the real announcement.

MrJekyll16

Neo Member
You should blame sony rather than attacking people who only disuss here the latest leaks.

How would you explain this then?
Build cost for XSX could be higher, which may seem to indicate a more powerful console, but we can't say it for sure especially because of the past.
More important:
''Series X build cost likely higher than PS5 (as of now), but not significantly so. ''

Why would PS5 be 8TF and XSX 12TF with the XSX costing slightly more to make?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom