• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are you writing your posts like CBOAT?

I have heard about CBOAT in the past but Im not him. I am actually new aorund here.

Things that are obscure Will gradually be known by the public. I'll let the Future events speak for themselves and I am confident they are on my behalf.

But thanks for your support!

Last edited:
IF it is 12tflops of NAVI/RDNA this thing is beyond a monster...IF

MS os targetting above 11tf, better than Stadia for marketing reasons. This should be consensuos now.

Gpu spefulation on the New consoles is "Sony cant pump up to 8gb, thats Impossible" all over again now.

What I am sure about is that everyone Will happy about what these consoles can bring.

TeamGhobad

Banned
MS os targetting above 11tf, better than Stadia for marketing reasons. This should be consensuos now.

Gpu spefulation on the New consoles is "Sony cant pump up to 8gb, thats Impossible" all over again now.

What I am sure about is that everyone Will happy about what these consoles can bring.

All this converting of FLOPS is stupid. if they say it's 12TF it's 12TF of whatever GPU they have. they are not going to say 12TF worth of GCN FLOPS lol

12 TF navi/RDNA is not 2x X its much more.

Last edited:
12Tf Rdna is 15Tf Gcn according to amd, also that last video of digital foudry talking about next gen they stated a 40% increase if i recall ?
Wich is far more than what amd said, keep in mind that it depends on the game (coding) , basically the 1,25 increase over gcn is the strict minimum.

They know that. Its Just that TF counter is the New 32/64/128 bits measurement, hence why the "2x more" is Just taking numbers as reference.

Its like they are playing very safe with words, to not give space for counter productive bad infos, as the general public sees numbers as the reference.

Imagine like "MS is lying, How can Xbox series X be More than 2x more powerfull If 12 equals exactly 2x6tf Of Xbox X?" Kind of thinking.

These days its a Lot easier to spread fake news than exposing It and fixing It. No matter How hard You try to convince that something is just bad and dumb info, there Will always be people around to claim It as true"

MS just dont want to be misinterpreted. Nothing more

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
He is full of shit, you guys wanna pretend ps5 is more powerful, you can pretend. I will be back when its official. Xbox is only ones making claims,m, and you know fully if Sony made this claims like they aim to be performance leader you would be saying its all official and be saying yep MS hasnt claimed anything. Lol come on now

I don’t know which one is more powerful, and neither do you.

That is my point.

Nor do I care, because they will both be capable.

Last edited:
I have heard about CBOAT in the past but Im not him. I am actually new aorund here.

Things that are obscure Will gradually be known by the public. I'll let the Future events speak for themselves and I am confident they are on my behalf.

But thanks for your support!

Higher flops. Higher frequency. Better cpu and gpu. Fast storage. Those are expected. Same old. Just better.

Will we see something that is a game-changer in one of the machines?

you don't have to be specific.. maybe just a little bit of hype (or hype down if you will)

quest

Not Banned from OT
I don’t know which one is more powerful, and either do you.

That is my point.
I think we have a good idea 95% of the legitimate insider's say the PS5 is more powerful since E3. I will take their word for it. Sure could MS do a last second silicon revision and win by an inch. I would not hold my breath.

Higher flops. Higher frequency. Better cpu and gpu. Fast storage. Those are expected. Same old. Just better.

Will we see something that is a game-changer in one of the machines?

you don't have to be specific.. maybe just a little bit of hype (or hype down if you will)

They both seem to be much more balanced platforms with enhanced efficiency due to the New architectures and the SSD assistance.

We can expect beastly visuals level at solid fps.

I would say we are really approaching CGI level and HELLBLADE 2 is an accurate representation of these New consoles potential.

They both seem to be much more balanced platforms with enhanced efficiency due to the New architectures and the SSD assistance.

We can expect beastly visuals level at solid fps.

I would say we are really approaching CGI level and HELLBLADE 2 is an accurate representation of these New consoles potential.

Oh well, another safe answer. Can't wait for the games' reveal. Whatever the specs turn out to be, I'm here for the games. Specs means nothing in the end. But thanks.

Oh well, another safe answer. Can't wait for the games' reveal. Whatever the specs turn out to be, I'm here for the games. Specs means nothing in the end. But thanks.

Yeah Man
I Just cant fucking wait.

The Very First Wave of games Will be jaw dropping as fuck, that I guarantee, specially coming from First Party studios with heavy investment and Ninja Theory is one of them

Just curious about what Sony can bring. I Heard about an old franchise that could be revitalized wich the description given reminded me of Syphon Filter, but I found it silly at First so I didnt take it seriously (for now at least)

Bend Studios os working something, it could be It, but I find it hard to believe

^I agree with Alex. They weren't clear with the wording and I just don't believe it's 12TF RDNA until they publicly announce it. 12TF RDNA would need a lot of power unless they improved their IPC from gen1 to gen2 by something like 40 to 50% and I just don't see that happening.

pawel86ck

Banned
from wc, and again they don't understand that 2x the power of X is not 12TFLOPS of RDNA. RAM is only 16GB which is low cause in MS own reveal at E3 we counted at least 20. Also no 8k optical drive??? SSD was suppose to be 4 GB/s
NzU4uph.png

KdiEv5V.png
Windows Central leak was first, so they couldn't misunderstood what Phil has said in regards to Xbox SX power few days later. Windows Central simply wrote numbers they were told without any interpretation.

Phil has said Xbox SX will offer 8x the power of xbox one, and 2x times the power of xbox x. If you want to assume Phil was talking about performance in general (not just TFLOPS) then these numbers dont add up.

Here I have explained why.

Therefore it's obvious Phil was thinking about TFLOPS numbers alone like he always did. 12TF is exactly over 8x times more poweful than 1.4TF, and two times more powerful compared to xbox x 6TF power.

If you remember Xbox x was also marketed as 4x more powerful console, yet it's more like 5x faster in real games. I'm telling you man, MS is aiming at 12TF (Navi RDNA+) and currently there's simply nothing that suggest otherwise.

B
Yeah Man

The Very First Wave of games Will be jaw dropping as fuck, that I guarantee, specially coming from First Party studios with heavy investment and Ninja Theory is one of them

Just curious about what Sony can bring. I Heard about an old franchise that could be revitalized wich the description given reminded me of Syphon Filter, but I found it silly at First so I didnt take it seriously (for now at least)

Bend Studios os working something, it could be It, but I find it hard to believe

I have faith in Bend Studio after Days Gone. Although I wasn't around yet when their Syphon Filter released (ps2 was my first machine), I'm hearing good things about it. I'm looking forward to it or whatever game they're cooking right now.

quest

Not Banned from OT
^I agree with Alex. They weren't clear with the wording and I just don't believe it's 12TF RDNA until they publicly announce it. 12TF RDNA would need a lot of power unless they improved their IPC from gen1 to gen2 by something like 40 to 50% and I just don't see that happening.
The problem is as pointed out if they start talking TF nvidia has new cards come out that might top 20tf make them look small.

Windows Central leak was first, so they couldn't misunderstood what Phil has said in regards to Xbox SX power few days later. Windows Central simply wrote numbers they were told without any interpretation.

Phil has said Xbox SX will offer 8x the power of xbox one, and 2x times the power of xbox x. If you want to assume Phil was talking about performance in general (not just TFLOPS) then these numbers dont add up.

Here I have explained why.

Therefore it's obvious Phil was thinking about TFLOPS numbers alone like he always did. 12TF is exactly over 8x times more poweful than 1.4TF, and two times more powerful compared to xbox x 6TF power.

If you remember Xbox x was also marketed as 4x more powerful console, yet it's more like 5x faster in real games. I'm telling you man, MS is aiming at 12TF (Navi RDNA+) and currently there's simply nothing that suggest otherwise.

Right on the money

The 12tf or slightly higher (PS5) is the New 8gb gddr5, unfortunetly.

I agree completely. When they advertised the One X they were crystal clear about the Teraflop number because the X and Pro shared the same "GCN" gflops.

This time (and Stadia's 10.7 teraflops in GCN standards complicated things for Sony and MS when it comes to advertising the hardware power using tflops numbers) MS avoided using the tflops argument they SO HEAVILY relied on when marketing the X and I believe Sony will do the same.

I think that in raw tflops value (not real world performance)...XSX and PS5 won't exceed Stadia (maybe XSX and PS5 have even lower tflops numbers than Stadia) in a way that it's worth bringing to the public knowledge.

It would be complicated for MS and Sony explain that their consoles can easily outperform Stadia even with lower or similar tflops values, so the only wayout for Sony and MS is to use realistic real world performance comparisons without fully disclosing the specs in a Nintendo fashion since the Gamecube days...

The irony of that is that (especially Sony which loves throwing theoretical numbers that not always translate into realtime gameworld performance...) Sony and MS won't be able to market specs or theoretical power this time but realworld performance.

A 9.7-10 tflops RDNA GPU falls perfectly into Phil's GPU ONLY comparison with the performance of base Xbox One (eight times higher) and Xbox One X (two times higher).

bitbydeath

Yeah Man

Logan died in the last Syphon Filter game, the sequel to that is Days Gone with Deacon as the new lead.

So here's a more up to date spec sheet (based solely on rumors, of course)

Code:
                     PS5                   XBSX
CPU:        8/16 Zen 2 @ 3.2Ghz  |  8/16 Zen 2 @ 3.6Ghz
GPU:            13.4TF RDNA 2.0  |  12TF RDNA 2.0
Storage:    1TB? SSD NVMe 4GB/s  |  1TB? SSD NVMe 2GB/s?
RAM:          16GB?/24GB? GDDR6  |  16GB? GDDR6

If this turns out to be true at least regarding CPU and GPU, it would mean a slight framerate advantage for XBSX and a slight graphics advantage for PS5. Pretty much unnoticeable imo.
Framerate at 1440p or higher tend to be more GPU bound than CPU bound on PCs. I don't expect that to be drastically different on consoles.

If he's comparing raw numbers (which most figure he is), then 12 is indeed 2x the value of 6.

Yes.

Microsoft is on a mentality that a Flop is a flop, not going into deep on the technical level simply because theres no point doing It by now, specially considering that some of its enemys console characteristics remain a Mystery.

Theres more than Just TFs numbers

LordOfChaos

All this converting of FLOPS is stupid. if they say it's 12TF it's 12TF of whatever GPU they have. they are not going to say 12TF worth of GCN FLOPS lol

Who is "they", the insiders, maybe, but lets be clear that Microsoft and Phil never said 12Tflops or anything about flops. Phil said it was twice as powerful as the X, and we would expect a 10Tflop RDNA part to already hit that metric, while a 12Tflop part would be 2.5-3x as powerful.

I'm cool with it being 12 and some insiders seem to be leaning that way, but I'm not calling this one settled yet.

Last edited:

Neofire

Who is "they", the insiders, maybe, but lets be clear that Microsoft and Phil never said 12Tflops or anything about flops. Phil said it was twice as powerful as the X, and we would expect a 10Tflop RDNA part to already hit that metric, while a 12Tflop part would be 2.5-3x as powerful.

I'm cool with it being 12 and some insiders seem to be leaning that way, but I'm not calling this one settled yet.
level headed answer, I would love them to be 12TF's but we need to wait for absolute confirmation so I agree with you.

Word!

I've been here on GAF since 2011 and I do not remember any silly TeraScale vs GCN flops debate back in 2013.

Why is this a thing these days? ERA hive mind or what?

Just accept the fact that every new generation of consoles brings TONS of efficiency improvements. We take it for granted. Every. Single. Time.

I don't remember anyone saying "oh, PS4 Orbis is 1.84 TeraScale TF, so in reality it must only be 1TF GCN".

What kind of backwards logic is that? On paper 1.84TF is 10 times faster than 192GF (RSX). In reality it's much faster due to unified shaders and compute features, but good luck trying to explain that to the casual masses.

Seriously, can we move on from this "talking point"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom