• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hostile_18

Banned
I've got a few questions for the more technically minded.

How come very little is been said on the CPU speed? Is it just not very important anymore? Could a big difference in CPUs effect console performance relative to each other? Would a strong CPU make up for a slightly weaker GPU?

With the Jaguar CPUs regarded as low midrange even at the start of the gen what benefits could we see in games this gen?

I use to be into pc building back in the day and CPU speed always felt important, wheres it just dosnt now. I'm unsure if it's because technology has maybe changed somewhat. As you can probably tell it's been a long time since I knew about this stuff.

Specs aside, I haven’t seen anyone comment on this piece of the post. I take this to mean they’re basically going to be identical in performance at the end of the day.

@BGs also made a comment a while ago about how one might be higher spec, but isn’t as fast in real world performance

Could be that XSX is 12 but performs like 10.5, and PS5 is 11-11.6 and performs like 10-11. Either way it sounds like at the end of the day it’s going to be a pissing match that means fuck-all, which has been repeated by numerous insiders and journalists.

Show me some trailers so we can move past this BS.

That's what I am saying all this time as well, TFLOPS is not going to matter as much anymore because we have passed the threshold of needing enough of it. In the same manner we dont care about 'bits of processing' and 'polygons per second' or '# of on screen colors" or "how many Ghz of blast processing." Its going to be overall system integration and the sum of all its parts working cohesively like a symphony or orchestra in an efficient matter that's going to make hi-fidelity graphics. You are literally going to win with both consoles no matter your company/console preference. I am going to buy both and I am saving up for it.

PS Now is accessible on PC, and I know that on PS4 if you have PS Now, you can download games that can run natively on your PS4 (the PS2 and PS4 titles). If they're talking about Netflix and ecosystems, I could see PS Now on PC including the PC edition of those games as locally playable options.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I think Sony needs more Japanese people at the helm of PlayStation to stop this "games for everyone" BS. They've been stubborn and traditional and extremely successful since decades, no need for this "ecosystem fluidity" crap.

Last edited:
Putting Horizon: Zero Dawn on PC sends a very bad message. To me, I think it could easily backfire on them and "lessens" their overall sales if people get the idea that they'll eventually get them on PC. But if they migrate some from PC "or let's say along with their PC's" then it might be considered successful. The game already sold very well, not sure if they can make reasonable money out of PC. If I'm the decision maker, I won't put it or any exclusive on PC. I might buy the switch only to play Zelda, games sell consoles.
'"lessens" their overall sales if people get the idea that they'll eventually get them on PC.' nothing is lessened in the overall if they've already sold both the game and the console (due to selling the game). Any future revenue coming from the HZD for PS4 is zilch, nada, zero, 0. It won't come and they see the financials, not us. So, they decided to milk PC ecosystem too, and that means extra sales/revenue not 'less'.
Now there is exactly zero proof for thinking this will be an ongoing thing. It won't be. This happened bc they've already sinked some man-hours in porting a game made in Guerrilla engine to PC (which is DS) and now all that man-hours sunk could be cost benefitted for a product which is HZD that already not only recouped its initial investment but also made them $$$, but now it can make even more $$$ and not releasing it on PC is just bad business.

No other games in Sony portfolio (Only on PS games) have that kind of engine porting work done that cost man-hours and so no other exclusive game will be ported to PC. This is a one off that just made sense and to quote the guy he said "Horizon Zero Dawn was just a great fit in this particular instance." meaning the engine already work done to port to PC so why not use it for the other game we had for extra $$$.

In fact lets just quote the whole section:

"And to maybe put a few minds at ease, releasing one first-party AAA title to PC doesn’t necessarily mean that every game now will come to PC. In my mind, Horizon Zero Dawn was just a great fit in this particular instance. We don’t have plans for day and date [PC releases], and we remain 100% committed to dedicated hardware."

So hold onto your concerned tities :messenger_grinning_smiling:

RookX22

I think Sony needs more Japanese people at the helm of PlayStation to stop this "games for everyone" BS. They've been stubborn and traditional and extremely successful since decades, no need for this "ecosystem fluidity" crap.
YEah eventually everything will be saturated and exhausting basically a mess like the games on steam store recommended page, and the last bastion of originality and curated gaming experiences will be Nintendo.

saintjules

Done :messenger_tears_of_joy:

ymD8xJx.jpg

YEah eventually everything will be saturated and exhausting basically a mess like the games on steam store recommended page, and the last bastion of originality and curated gaming experiences will be Nintendo.

Ironically I think Sony brought in Western executives to lead because they felt that they are more "open" and courageous in terms of these kind of decisions when compared to Japanese executives. A balance is needed, but I think one generation gap is okay for a PC release.

DaGwaphics

Haven't looked at the state of the eShop recently? JK, couldn't help myself. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
'"lessens" their overall sales if people get the idea that they'll eventually get them on PC.' nothing is lessened in the overall if they've already sold both the game and the console (due to selling the game). Any future revenue coming from the HZD for PS4 is zilch, nada, zero, 0. It won't come and they see the financials, not us. So, they decided to milk PC ecosystem too, and that means extra sales/revenue not 'less'.
Now there is exactly zero proof for thinking this will be an ongoing thing. It won't be. This happened bc they've already sinked some man-hours in porting a game made in Guerrilla engine to PC (which is DS) and now all that man-hours sunk could be cost benefitted for a product which is HZD that already not only recouped its initial investment but also made them $$$, but now it can make even more $$$ and not releasing it on PC is just bad business.

No other games in Sony portfolio (Only on PS games) have that kind of engine porting work done that cost man-hours and so no other exclusive game will be ported to PC. This is a one off that just made sense and to quote the guy he said "Horizon Zero Dawn was just a great fit in this particular instance." meaning the engine already work done to port to PC so why not use it for the other game we had for extra $$$.

"And to maybe put a few minds at ease, releasing one first-party AAA title to PC doesn’t necessarily mean that every game now will come to PC. In my mind, Horizon Zero Dawn was just a great fit in this particular instance. We don’t have plans for day and date [PC releases], and we remain 100% committed to dedicated hardware."

You don't understand that PS makes most of its money out of 3rd party games, right? 1st party games are only a fraction of their total money gains. So if you get consumers out of your ecosystem then you're losing A LOT, especially PS Plus revenue.

DaGwaphics

Lot of DKs. But only one retail.

Now it has come to mind when Sony announced that PS4 would use 8GB of GDDR5.

That possibility seemed unthinkable. Until...

PAM! In the face!
giphy.gif

Be careful with Sony my crofriend.

giphy.gif

I will be absent a few weeks. Be good.

20TF PSV confirmed?

Sony did their due diligence like MS and realized the cross over between PC & console gamers are minimal. How many Xbox gamers batted an eye when Phil Spencer announced all first party MS games will release day one on third party storefronts? Practically zero.

PC gamers are entrenched in their camp and are not going to get dedicated hardware that loses all the flexibility & freedom of what makes PC gaming attractive in the first place just so they can play a handful of games (and have to pay for online to boot, lol)

Sony is much less aggressive in their stance compared to MS simply due to their position in the home console space. If the situations were reversed, and MS sold 100m plus Xbox One's & Sony lost half their userbase....some people would be preparing to play Last of US at 4K 60 fps soon.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
GsT8qt4.jpg

PAM! In the face!
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Can you believe there are still people riding the nine train? 🤣 I mean, it’s surely a coincidence that the German word for “no” is “nein”

Best of luck on your two weeks off, hope it’s a decent holiday some place nice!

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned

PAM! In the face!
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

We used Kaz as meme for GDDR6 8GB.
Who we will use this time?

Japanese people not going to change anything .
We are moving away from hardware being the only place to play games.
Just like how movies\tv and music went that is what going to happen with games.
Welcome the up coming streaming \service wars in the next 5 plus years .

I don't really understand what BGs is talking about.

Sony has some kind of 8GB surprise incoming for their hardware?

What could it *possibly* be? HBM is the only thing I can think of, but nothing seems to point to that and I feel like we would have had stronger hints of that.

Lots of DKs but only one retail? The one that is famously under lock and key, according to Osiris?

I'm so confused and wish they'd just talk.

DaGwaphics

You don't understand that PS makes most of its money out of 3rd party games, right? 1st party games are only a fraction of their total money gains. So if you get consumers out of your ecosystem then you're losing A LOT, especially PS Plus revenue.

Not disagreeing with you. But....

A PC gamer is going to play any multi-plat on PC that can be played there (which is a strong majority now). Their PS would probably be around for 1st-party more than anything. Now if Sony could just sell them that software without any potential losses on hardware to begin with...

You're right though, there is great value in the console buyer that doesn't play on PC, that third-party licensing + services really add up.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'

What could it *possibly* be? HBM is the only thing I can think of, but nothing seems to point to that and I feel like we would have had stronger hints of that.

Lots of DKs but only one retail? The one that is famously under lock and key, according to Osiris?

HBM is out, never was in. BGS simply means that while there have been lots of dev kits of various speeds, there will only be one “final” retail unit. So while everybody else is bickering about 9tf and seriously crazy figures, the real unit will be “the one”.

Probably means that ps5 will out perform x series, and no one saw that coming.

Last edited:

FeiRR

Banned
Putting Horizon: Zero Dawn on PC sends a very bad message. To me, I think it could easily backfire on them and "lessens" their overall sales if people get the idea that they'll eventually get them on PC. But if they migrate some from PC "or let's say along with their PC's" then it might be considered successful. The game already sold very well, not sure if they can make reasonable money out of PC. If I'm the decision maker, I won't put it or any exclusive on PC. I might buy the switch only to play Zelda, games sell consoles.
Come on, it's a three year old game and it was on sale for, like, $10 numerous times. Everyone who wanted to buy it on PS4 already did. Every game is eventually made possible to run on PC through emulators. It's like advertising the quality of their studios. I can't imagine waiting 3 years to play a Naughty Dog, Insomniac or Sucker Punch game. Not an option, like at all.

As a german I'm watching you. 🤔
Don't mention it ;)

Last edited:

Hatsuma

Yes. Moriarty mentioned the idea of them fishing for PC consumers and Hulst mentions the idea by introducing what they have been missing. I think exclusives are still certainly on the menu until it is not feasible and Sony is not interested in hardware.

This is an interesting approach if true. Best of both worlds for them possibly

Seems like my gaming life is coming to an end.

3s2cgw.jpg
Streaming is not gonna take over, connections are so far behind that would mean losing customers everywhere. Let alone games that requires precisions like fps, platforms, hack n slashes... let alone multiplayer also. And anyway an industry where the main market is streaming has yet to prove to be economically sustenable without drastic changes.
It took two generations to see digital purchases take over retail since 2005 (as far as I know), and we're just talking about download. Streaming? Lmao.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned

Something that will made the same BUZZ 8GB GDDR8 made in 2013... it can be anything about the hardware and not related to memory.
And DKs are DevKits that most of the specs "insiders" talk existed in form of a DevKit like the 9.2TFs.
Only one retail means just the PS5 powerful and no PS5 "lockhark" holding developers.

Last edited:
HBM is out, never was in. BGS simply means that while there have been lots of dev kits of various speeds, there will only be one “final” retail unit. So while everybody else is bickering about 9tf and seriously crazy figures, the real unit will be “the one”.

I mean let’s be real. Sony would have to literally go, “PS5 is 12.5/13TF” for it to be a surprise bordering the 8GB of GDDR5 drop at PS Meeting 2013. Anything similar or less will cause the games media to lambast Sony back and forth.

Right but what are the odds PS5 sales will be impacted because one first party game is being released for PC over 3 years later?

Or better yet, how many Playstation gamers that don't have a gaming PC will start to build one because one first party game is being released for PC over 3 years later? There is a reason why they don't game on PC in the first place and it goes beyond software.

This in my opinion, only have an impact on selective group of gamers....people who have both a gaming PC and a PS4. Possibly they'll wait a few years to play Sony's first party games on their rig but they're are two caveats:

1) Sony still gets their money
2) This specific gamer was likely buying all their third party games on their gaming PC in the first place so Sony is not missing out on money (along with not bothering with PS+ to begin with)

MS is in the same boat but they're much more aggressive due to the fact that they've plateaued in the console space. Unless Sony royally fucks up, MS is topping out at 30m-50m (worst to best case scenario) consoles next gen. This is their base and sticking with MS no matter what unless they decide to go all Don Mattrick again. So in reality, MS doesn't have much to lose going all out with their PC strategy

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Right but what are the odds PS5 sales will be impacted because one first party game is being released for PC over 3 years later?

Or better yet, how many Playstation gamers that don't have a gaming PC will start to build one because one first party game is being released for PC over 3 years later? There is a reason why they don't game on PC in the first place and it goes beyond software.

This in my opinion, only have an impact on selective group of gamers....people who have both a gaming PC and a PS4. Possibly they'll wait a few years to play Sony's first party games on their rig but they're are two caveats:

1) Sony still gets their money
2) This specific gamer was likely buying all their third party games on their gaming PC in the first place so Sony is not missing out on money (along with not bothering with PS+ to begin with)

MS is in the same both but they're much more aggressive due to the fact that they've plateaued in the console space. Unless Sony royally fucks up, MS is topping out at 30m-50m (worst to best case scenario) consoles next gen. This is their base and sticking with MS no matter what unless they decide to go all Don Mattrick again. So in reality, MS doesn't have much to lose going all out with their PC strategy

Just like the impact that Xbox gone to PC, although having a handful of games anyway. Those systems enjoy all the sales inside the console itself, it can be as silly as a theme sale on PS4!

Last edited:

LED Guy?

Banned
I know you guys are under NDA, but I assume after all the pigeons talk, the console is more likely gonna be 11.6 TF, maybe all the way to 13 TFs like Osiris said.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I know you guys are under NDA, but I assume after all the pigeons talk, the console is more likely gonna be 11.6 TF, maybe all the way to 13 TFs like Osiris said.

I’m not under NDA. The thing I’m under is my wife. BOOM. 🐦

But in all seriousness, 13 etc is actually a bigger gulf than will happen, and as it stands, right now (and for the foreseeable future) SX have the TF crown, from what I’ve seen. And that’s The latest DK. However, there are many crowns, and both sides have several each.

N3EIequ.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom