• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchman

Gold Member
2080 ti stands at 10bln. 38x improvement.
Seems fishy to me.
I think Nvidia is counting giga-rays, I don't think it's the same measurement used here.

XSX > PS5

"The Xbox Series X is the biggest generational leap of SoC and API design that we’ve done with Microsoft, and it’s an honor for AMD to partner with Microsoft for this endeavor. The Xbox Series X is going to be a beacon of technical innovation leadership for this console generation and will propagate the innovation throughout the DirectX ecosystem this year and into next year. It is a privilege to be Microsoft’s trusted partner, and we look forward to a successful launch this holiday season!"
This is a typical PR piece and it's clear, they even say so!, it's about Microsoft and nothing else.

Shmunter

The split ram performance is interesting and may bite ms in the ass if Sony goes full fat on the entire pool.

Apart from that, the fact the entire game sitting on the ssd is addressable RAM is exactly the best case scenario. Won’t take long to see seamless streaming of assets creating scenes yet unseen.

No idea how a common pc can match this purpose built gaming monster.

mitchman

Gold Member
The split ram performance is interesting and may bite ms in the ass if Sony goes full fat on the entire pool.

Apart from that, the fact the entire game sitting on the ssd is addressable RAM is exactly the best case scenario. Won’t take long to see seamless streaming of assets creating scenes yet unseen.

No idea how a common pc can match this purpose built gaming monster.
File mapping into virtual memory is nothing new, but I guess it is for most non-developers. All OSes have supported that for years.

Dr Strange

I think Tommy Fisher is/was one of MS top category employees and tried to hardcore trolling us!
Just how the hell someone knows exact 52 active CUs at 1.82Ghz RDNA 2.0 7nm EUV except that being a senior employee in MS or AMD?!!

MARTYWOLF

Here's the convo again lol

Mate my reference was to the new xbox page update they blatantly say "The most power console" And then "Our" Lol wether they change it or not who knows ? The title of that section or the sentence i unno. Its gonna be awkward as hell if they have to change "The most powerful console ever" part

lN06kng.jpg

Source: https://www.xbox.com/en-US/consoles/xbox-series-x?ocid=Platform_soc_omc_xbo_tw_Video_lrn_3.16.1

Last edited:

SSfox

Why did MS think its a good idea to show capabilities of a 12 tf console by showing fucking Minecraft demo?lol
At57pI7.jpg

MS still didn't get it. They could have shown a new KI, or a Zelda like game made by Rare, that would alone made me excited AF about Xbox SX (even with 8 TF RDNA1), but yeah let's show some 4K RT minecraft instead... Lel

Anyway not surprise, it's just MS being MS as usual.

Last edited:

Zero707

If I carry on trolling, report me.
MS still didn't get it. They could have shown a new KI, or a Zelda like game made by Rare, that would alone made me excited AF about Xbox SX (even with 8 TF RDNA1), but yeah let's show some 4K RT minecraft instead... Lel

Anyway not surprise, it's just MS being MS as usual.
we will have full show for games this year

MARTYWOLF

Tommy Fisher also said EXACTLY 12.1 RDNA 2 tflops, did he not?

Someone un ban his ass. :p

STILL "our most powerful console...."

Enjoy the meltdown if this is what you think validates your choice of console.

Im getting both aha, And they said both "The most powerful console ever" AND "Our most"

psorcerer

Banned
No, rays != intersections. You can have 10Grays doing many more intersection and bounces, that was my point.

It's meaningless then.
10gigarays = 10 billion intersections per second.
There is no other way to read it.
And judging by the amount of rays per pixel in the current DXR demos it's really the max number.

That's why I think 380 is way way more than expected.
It places 1080p@60 fps in over 3000 intersections per pixel. Which is "Toy Story" quality. For real.

P.S. got an idea from somebody else, it can be just the bvh traverse phase. Then it makes sense.

Last edited:

Banned
Why did MS think its a good idea to show capabilities of a 12 tf console by showing fucking Minecraft demo?lol
At57pI7.jpg

because it is 100% raytraced.

games like Battlefield 5 use normal rasterized graphics for the vast majority of their graphics.
RT in these games is only used for some effects and even there they are usually supported by screenspace effects

everything you see in that Minecraft demo is 100% displayed by shooting rays into the scene.

it's like that Quake 2 RTX demo.

this is extremely intensive RT

44alltheway

Fisher did seem to nail them to the T, over anyone I take it?

Should his ban be lifted? :pie_thinking:
He also said A LOT of bullshit that can't be backed up. I always bring up some of the bullshit acquisitions, and he said blue point wasn't making demon souls. IDK, I think part of it was luck and looking at what the rumor mill was saying. Just my opinion ofc. also I know you don't forget the controller debacle.

Last edited:

Shmunter

File mapping into virtual memory is nothing new, but I guess it is for most non-developers. All OSes have supported that for years.
Pretty sure while abstracted, under the bonnet in Windows etc that all gets piped through the file system and paged in/out of ram and not directly addressable by CPU’s snd Gpu’s. The potentially efficiency difference could be leagues apart for gaming.

Last edited:
because it is 100% raytraced.

games like Battlefield 5 use normal rasterized graphics for the vast majority of their graphics.
RT in these games is only used for some effects and even there they are usually supported by screenspace effects

everything you see in that Minecraft demo is 100% displayed by shooting rays into the scene.

it's like that Quake 2 RTX demo.

this is extremely intensive RT
i know but it looks really bad. sorry for saying that . thats just my personal opinion of course

Mendou

Banned
Am I seeing things or the Halo demo didn't look very fluid? While graphics were very nice, that didn't seem 60FPS... but maybe I don't have a trained eye for that.
The video itself may not have been posted at 4k 60. I think they targeted 60fps for all the games there, and if Gears 5 could do native 4k 60 with ray tracing, then I'm more than certain the same is true for Halo 5.

So I have some thoughts on the specs now that they've been fully put out there

MEMORY: Hmm...this actually kind of surprised me and isn't quite at what I was thinking or hoping it'd be tbh. I'm guessing I can understand using different/mixed modules for signaling issues but couldn't they have just gone with slower 2GB modules vs. faster 2GB modules, or take a flush pool of fast modules and underclock a few of them? I mean, 16GB is still impressive but I was thinking for SURE it'd be 20GB for a 320-bit bus.

I'm also wondering if they could've just gone with 12 of the "faster" modules for graphics-orientated stuff and 4GB for the "slower" modules, maybe reduce the OS footprint to 2GB and squeeze in all the other stuff within the remaining 2GB. At the same time, I'm not a console hardware engineer, so I'm pretty much 100% sure MS already thought about this but chose to go the route they did for reasons I'm not knowledgable enough to get into.

FP14/FP8/FP4 SUPPORT: Sounds like they customized addition of this onto the GPU side and from the sound of it, all the CUs support it. That's pretty huge tbh; the CUs being able to dynamically utilize RPM for lower-precision compute will be really beneficial for games I presume.

RAY-TRACING: I'm just glad to hear that it won't have too massive an impact on other graphical game performance tbh 👍

AUDIO: Basically confirms 3D audio ray-tracing, nice to see both systems will be supporting this feature.

STORAGE: Good speed/bandwidth but not as much as I was thinking it'd be. Has me lowering expectations on Sony's SSD speed/bandwidth numbers, as well. That said I was NOT expecting that form factor, very small, compact, and low on power draw which is really important for a console. 1TB in storage amount seems about what I was expecting.

The hardware decompression stuff seems pretty beefy, tho. 6 GB/s is pretty fast, and games being able to utilize 100GB on the drive as a virtual cache (I'm assuming this would be equivalent to memory-mapping that 100GB partition of the drive) is going to be very useful. I'm wondering if the hardware decompression has its own small cache of NAND it can dump content from the SSD into and then store inside, say like 32GB. That way data frequently used but not frequently enough to sit in the GDDR6 can be accessed from that cache instead of needing to dip back to the 100GB memory-mapped cache on the SSD.

It seems the system is using an implementation inspired through AMD's SSG drive line, but (thankfully) the drive can be replaced and expanded over time. I wonder if the virtual cache partition can be scaled over time through firmware updates, or if it scales to proportion on larger drives (i.e on a 2TB drive it's 200GB instead of 100GB). I'm expecting Sony to have a very similar setup but would be interested if they have a larger pool for memory-mapped virtual cache and, of course, drive speed and bandwidth (DF mention bandwidth here but that's actually them using bandwitdth in place of speed. Pet peeve of mine tbh).

Overall it looks like a really well-balanced and powerful system, and I think it should be doable at a $499 MSRP if not even slightly less. Those clock efficiencies are real on the GPU side tho, quite impressive on that note.

PS5 SPECULATION

I can see Sony matching these specs if they are targeting a similar price range, and there may be substance to some of those rumors (for example I'm almost pretty sure it'll have the faster SSD after today's news; not as sure how the hardware decompression will be handled though). Again I have to give TF some credit here because they did predict 52CUs @1.82 and RDNA2; they might've acted a fool but those specs were basically on-point. Still though I think the Github was pretty accurate as well, it's just likely at some point MS were testing with all 56CUs on and at lower clocks instead of what they actually ended up doing.

However, I do also think this does show that the Github information is not reflective of final system performance for either XSX or PS5, so anyone expecting PS5's specs to be EXACTLY what the Github or testing data showed will be very disappointed. Personally, I'm gonna ride somewhere in the middle between that range and more sensible upper range insiders have speculated, so for me PS5's probably gonna be anything between 10.8TF - 12TF (max 12.2TF) for PS5 depending on how big the chip is and if Sony's going for $399 or $499.

Why that range? That's literally just me taking the middle range between Github and Osiris's number and using that as the new low figure, and taking O'dium/Osiris's numbers (and Heisenberg's hinted range) and going in the middle on those; 12.2TF if Sony can stabilize performance and thermals at that range over the long haul. However I don't see PS5 hitting near 2GHz clock the higher the TF range goes; at some point thermal costs might negate the gains without pushing up the MSRP.

As far as PS5 memory goes, they could end up with slightly more bandwidth if they use 18Gbps chips, tho if it's a 256-bit bus it'll still be 16GB max. If they have a 2nd pool of DDR4 though and give the main CPU cluster control over it simultaneously along with the GDDR6 I think the OS and background work would run off the DDR4 and that'd free up the 16GB for games altogether

Either way we're looking at two very capable and very powerful next-gen systems, and at least now we can start looking forward to more next-gen game reveals which is where the meat-and-potatoes are at ;)

Banned
Am I seeing things or the Halo demo didn't look very fluid? While graphics were very nice, that didn't seem 60FPS... but maybe I don't have a trained eye for that.

that halo demo was unmodified Xbox One X code with an HDR post processing on top.

and Halo 5 runs very stable on One X. a YouTube video should never be seen as some kind of performing indicator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom