• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

rnlval

It's more than likely that PS5 doesn't need those cheap cheats. When you are already pushing 4.7 polygons per pixel per frame for a 1440p@~40fps why would you need extra computational trickeries like anti-aliasing, VRS, etc? Geometry Engines do crunch sub-pixel polygons so you don't need LOD's, VRS, anti-aliasing, or DLSS. These four are very great for current and ancient gaming methods, we are entering a new era of gaming.

Better use that extra leftover power on what matters.

Your geometry engine argument is useless for pixel shading, hence the need for VRS. Both VRS and Sampling Feedback are GPU resource conservation measures.

Mesh shading still needs anti-aliasing for aliased geometry edges.

rnlval

It is still software emulation.
The 360 GPU is emulated on XB1.
They recompile the games to get better performance because they have the source game for that something that most emulators doesn’t.

It is different from Wine.
XBO's GPU has support for FP10 format from X360 via semi-custom GCN changes. Major PPC-to-X86 conversion is PPC's big-endian to X86's little-endian format conversion.

Xbox 360 GPU has big-endian format as per PPC.

XBO GPU has the little-endian format as per X86.

Last edited:
Didn't most of you pass away in the last derailment ?
giphy.gif

rnlval

They clearly said they need to recompile each game...

“We take each game, we recompile it so that it runs, but basically we’re running it still in a 360, and the team goes through the game with multiple passes.”
High-performance PowerPC emulators such as Apple's Rosetta has both Just-In-Time and save to disk static re-compilers.

JIT recompiler is enough for Amiga PowerPC emulators due to small data size, but Xbox 360's data sizes are many times larger.

jose4gg

Yes, you are saying that.

Read it👇

"So if they needed 35% of 500GB for a game, good, now they have 35% of 825GB..."

"If COD was designed to take 35% of the HDD for the PS5, why would they don't follow the same practice and design the game to take 35% of 825G."

I'm saying that if a developer was worried about taking to much of space in the HDD of a PS4 but we have a history that developers already have taken 35% of the space in a single game (COD that was my example), then the same approach could be possible for next-gen. People were arguing that using bigger assets would be so EXPENSIVE that is not possible due to the 825GB of PS5. I called that a lie because if developers take 35% again as the max size a game can have on a system (and this is not a rule, this is if developers auto impose that rule to themself) then those are 288GB which are sufficient enough to increase the quality of textures and models.

Games Dean

I don't think Sony gonna show anything, I starting to feel that Sony don't have any confidence on there ps5 plans and that will affect ps5 sales dramatically, I am huge Sony fans but truly I start to untrust them , they need to show me why I need to buy ps5 , when in my insides I know that the other competitor console have more pure performance advantage and I try to sell myself those sdd bullshits, and even that Sony don't show me anything other than that ue5 Which not 4k neither 60 fps and no real time ray tracing, , and in the other hand Microsoft are pretty confident in there plans ,and on there console power and keep confirming true 4k , 60 fps , real time full ray trading , full backward compatibility even they show the real hardware design in last year ,

No I am a huge Sony fan but what they doing right now make me thinking like that , this not a mobile phone to reveal lt one month before release, this is new game console and need big advertising events , and games showcases, Sony seem like the Don't have plans , in the other hand Microsoft show many things and have confiirming dates for Xsex games showcases unlike Sony , and please don't tell me Sony wait until Corona pandemic

.......anyway

I do think the event is still planned for next week, but with what's going on in Minnesota right now I would not be surprised if Sony just waits till Monday. The US' attention is elsewhere right now. Regardless, I think two days is enough of a notice.
- Do you think COD Warzone developers actually care that the game occupies 165 GB basically 33% of the PS4 default HDD size? Do you actually believe this developers are worried about the actual space left for users to store other games? 🤦🏽‍♂️ These people...
One of these days Infinity Ward will be tried for it's crimes against my hard drive. Modern Warfare's file size is pure evil.

Ptarmiganx2

Not a chance. Sony has the far more interesting piece of technology. Initially I was disappointed because of the numbers. But now that it's been a while and I can actually sift through the 10 feet of shit to get to the truth about what Cerny was actually saying. (I woke up at 2am to take it in, and not much stayed)

Seeing it being broken down the way it has by a lot of good info in here and other sources helps me see where Sony was going. They've poured years into all of this technology, and it interests me a lot more than the Xbox side.

Microsoft has just gone biggest and best on an affordable product. They have a monster machine with a lot of customization, don't get me wrong. But they haven't put the same amount of effort in the actual hardware itself.

Sony said to themselves, how can we create predictable efficiency in thermals to push the CPU and GPU to their max speed. They did it, thats exactly how their power delivery works.

They also knew that an SSD would be going in there from the 1st PS5 briefing 6 years ago. They still pushed and created an SSD technology that is industry changing.

We already know what big power gets us. Resolution! 4k Native wow! 60feps omg! So many refreshes!... it's almost at the point of indiscernability.

But I want to see what sort of games we can get with SPEED.

And that's what interests me about their philosophy. And with it They are the only ones who can create an experience that isn't possible on any other platform. Until they catch up.

Sony has sort of made something I didn't think I needed, and it's amazing to see the devs coming out and saying how much changes for them too. By developers choice we will get these experiences faster this generation, or we will get game world's we can't even imagine yet, because of the extra efficiency and time.

You can call me what you like, but that's how I see this. I can't wait.
We didn’t know we needed it, but we will never be able to look at gaming the same again. I wasn’t sold at first, but I’m hijacking the hype train!

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Windows Mobile being the most recent. The comments about Google and Amazon being their focus rather than Sony suggests it’s on the horizon depending on how well XSX does.
I’m up front in that I’m more excited about PS5 and will be getting that first, but I’d genuinely hate it if Xbox became xCloud and Windows PCs only a few years from now.
Any PlayStation fan wanting Xbox to crumble is an idiot. I’ll be buying my XSX a little later on, hopefully with Flight Simulator confirmed as XSX Enhanced with it (how could it not be anyway).

If Xbox is gone, Nintendo will fill the gap.

quest

Not Banned from OT
If Xbox is gone, Nintendo will fill the gap.
I'm sure they are totally willing to get their asses handed to them by Sony again in the home console market. No Microsoft it will be a Sony monopoly in the home console market. No one will step in. It is to expensive and to hard to compete against Sony in any corporate eyes if Microsoft and Nintendo failed.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Excuse me, I'll try to be more clear.

That demo, such that it is only possible in PS5 because...

giphy.gif

Under NDA it is impossible for me to be clearer right now. But it is not because of Nanite or Lumen.

I hope the Spoiler joke didn't bother you, it wasn't my intention.

I hope I have been able to clarify your doubts.

For the rest of the explanation you will have to wait about 7 months (or when they decide) for UE5 to be released.

giphy.gif

Bo_Hazem

Banned
why when there are many superior alternatives to nintendo (steam, apple arcade, google play, etc. etc.)

-Steam box was a laughing stock if you don't remember.
-Apple will be a very solid competitor, and they'll spend a lot to reach PlayStation level of quality, but their high price demand might kill them. Think about it, 4 mediocre PC case wheels for $700.
-Google? Another laughing stock.

The only other thing that comes to mind is Epic Games, they can handle it and they have the engine for it and history behind them. Would they succeed? I doubt it, they'll be another punching bag for PlayStation.

Sony as a company circulates around entertainment, most of their branches are around the entertainment circle. PlayStation has Sony Pictures Entertainment expertise to aid their first party with their long history in Hollywood, they got the experience with their top photography alpha cameras and videography CineAlta. They have Sony Music Entertainment in the mix as well. Their TV's have the best picture quality and best processing and color accuracy, they're as well partnered with other big companies like Netflix and even competitors like Warner Bros for VFX.

When you pay a close look, Sony is the pinnacle of entertainment, most people have had some pleasant memories about their products. Microsoft, well, let's not talk about it.

I think Samsung might be the best outsider to enter, they're stubborn like Sony and very competitive and have the hardware to back them up.

And my fear is that PlayStation will meet them in the middle by not having to spend so much on hardware.

I've been enjoying PlayStation since PS1, never changed, will never change. Sony is a corporate indeed, but they have passion, they have a soul.

I'm sure they are totally willing to get their asses handed to them by Sony again in the home console market. No Microsoft it will be a Sony monopoly in the home console market. No one will step in. It is to expensive and to hard to compete against Sony in any corporate eyes if Microsoft and Nintendo failed.

I think it's safer for Microsoft to stick with the PC market and invest heavily in their store and cloud gaming. Sony is just a juggernaut when it comes to entertainment.

If Microsoft should learn something from Sony is sticking by their products like Sony is still holding their smartphone business and showing the insane Xperia 1ii finally as a pinnacle of smartphone photography/videography, as they should since the beginning. Microsoft should invest more in the smartphone OS before another competitor comes in the PC OS market and they lose the main basket holding most of their eggs.

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
If there is a June 3rd event, shouldn't an announcement happen today? Because the last of us part 2 first impressions are on Monday

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
.......anyway

I do think the event is still planned for next week, but with what's going on in Minnesota right now I would not be surprised if Sony just waits till Monday. The US' attention is elsewhere right now. Regardless, I think two days is enough of a notice.

One of these days Infinity Ward will be tried for it's crimes against my hard drive. Modern Warfare's file size is pure evil.

My son storm's in everytime and says "omg dad I'm deleting COD there's another big update and I have no roommmmm" he has since deleted it lol

Can you prove these were standard xbox one games (5.5 GB game data + 2.5 GB system memory)?

I'm assuming the most probable scenario (there's very little chance MS would show unpatched games on XSX). These were most likely xbox one x games and to your knowledge Xbox One X has 12 GB in totall. MS stressed they wanted to build SSD that can sustain 2.4 GB/s data transfer and it looks like they did it, because it takes around 5 seconds to fill 12 GB RAM from BC game save state.

PS5 I/O will move data even faster (around 2.5x faster), but you want to suggest PS5 SSD will be over 100x times faster LOL 😅.
It will be 100x faster...... Than the PS4, and that's what's been said by Sony each time.

Gamernyc78

Banned
-.- please stop I am tired all here have the same discussion ....
I agree shit is annoying so idk why ppl ask to then get no response at all lol Those type of responses aren't helpful at all and just annoy me lol My favorite part is when the person then thanks the supposed insider for sharing 😂😂sharing what? Thru said jack shit and were vague asf😂😂

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom