• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uzupedro

Don't worry I've got you covered
55rFrNZ.jpg

If I've missed anyone, don't worry you will be seated soony
Hey, one ticket please, it should be a funny ride this time.

ethomaz

Banned
It required 130GB from the beggining...

2e661b0d-d720-4b25-8b6c-590dd1ab1625
Because it uses data as cache in the MP and probably download something after installed plus the future planned DLCs,

The full game download was 64.72GB at launch on US PS Store.

Activision own words.
“In each of the Specs, the HDD references HD space of 175GB. 175GB is the storage space we recommend players keep available in order to download the post-launch content we’ll be bringing to Modern Warfare. At launch, the initial download will be smaller”

Edit - Fixed the size.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Don't worry I've got you covered
55rFrNZ.jpg

If I've missed anyone, don't worry you will be seated soony

Bah! There goes my doggo hood ornament! Just put me below the Tequila kitty and end it now for me!

Edit: Actually, flip my avatar and sit me right on top of the XSX angled just right. :pie_smirking:

Last edited:

jose4gg

Because it uses data as cache in the MP and probably download something after installed plus the future planned DLCs,

The full game download was 61.78GB at launch.

Activision own words.
“In each of the Specs, the HDD references HD space of 175GB. 175GB is the storage space we recommend players keep available in order to download the post-launch content we’ll be bringing to Modern Warfare. At launch, the initial download will be smalle

I understand, but to my initial point... if COD was designed to take 35% of the HDD for the PS5, why would they don't follow the same practice and design the game to take 35% of 825GB, without the duplicate assets, adding better compression rate with Kraken, they can use 288GB for their next games and easily compress a lot more data than before...

ethomaz

Banned
I understand, but to my initial point... if COD was designed to take 35% of the HDD for the PS5, why would they don't follow the same practice and design the game to take 35% of 825GB, without the duplicate assets, adding better compression rate with Kraken, they can use 288GB for their next games and easily compress a lot more data than before...
Well if they keep adding content yes they can reach 288GB but that is very unlikely for a yearly franchise.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I expect many next gen games will be around 200 GB, but game with CGI assents quality (something like in UE5 tech demo) wouldn't even fit on 1 TB. Developers will be forced to make compromises and not just because of small SSD, but also because very few people will be able to download their game (not everyone has ultra fast internet connection).

Ok let's make it simple:

-Games will have no duplicates in storage, which is a major thing why games have inflated in size.
-PS5 game compression is improved by 30%, so same games from PS4 should be smaller even without touching the duplicates, and will be pretty small when optimized for PS5 without a graphics upgrade patch.
-The UE5 demo was more like a stress test, it was a show off of how powerful PS5 combined with UE5 can crunch randomly thrown raw Hollywood assets. The impressive Quixel Rebirth trailer used -5.3x smaller assets here (25% compressed 4K assets):

If the SSD + I/O could crunch raw 8K Hollywood-level (20 million polygons per frame at 1440p [4.7 polygons per pixel]) then 4K assets would be nothing, or even using compressed 8K assets and instead using 17 million polygon per frame at native 4K (2 polygons per pixel). I sincerely believe that PS5 will have a noticeable resolution advantage on UE5 multiplats or any engine optimized for streaming assets, although Mark Cerny said that happens automatically by the API, not sure if he's talking generally or for optimized engines. Overall, I think it's better not to brag about resolution on the Xbox side, as GT7 is already aiming for 4K@240fps which is an equivalent to the gigantic 8K@60fps.

Yes, with that demo it was doing around 1440p@~40fps and possible 60fps when the engine is ready and optimized.

Most games will be below the 100GB mark, the limit of Blu-ray disc, some will have 2 discs probably like back in the PS1 era. You can always use external SSD, even slower than the main SSD in PS5, to store less used games if you feel so.

Most assets will still be duplicated in game, but not in storage, and that's a huge difference.

Regards, friend.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the UE5 demo was using 16K shadows!

Last edited:
I looked some more and I maybe wrong. I will post when I get it.

It's not like they wrote one emulator engine and that solves that. Each game needs work by Microsoft, and they are released in batches as and when they've got them working. It may not be recompiling, but each might need its own environment to work properly from the article someone linked earlier. More like wrapping API calls than running in a virtual machine, maybe.

PowerPC architecture is much closer to x86 than Cell is, though.

ethomaz

Banned
If I’m not wrong they recompile the game to run via emulation.

“We then take old 360 games and run them in the emulator.”

“Basically, we have a VGPU – or an Xbox 360 GPU that we’ve recompiled into x86 – and we run the entire 360 OS stack,“

“We take each game, we recompile it so that it runs, but basically we’re running it still in a 360, and the team goes through the game with multiple passes.”

In simple terms they created a emulator for 360 to run over x86 and the games needs to be compiled to it.

Last edited:

Corndog

Banned

“Basically, we have a VGPU – or an Xbox 360 GPU that we’ve recompiled into x86 – and we run the entire 360 OS stack,“
“We take each game, we recompile it so that it runs, but basically we’re running it still in a 360, and the team goes through the game with multiple passes.”
That is recompiling a virtual gpu into x86 not game code. Look in the article I linked further down.

edit:

Last edited:

Shmunter

I suspect HLE style emulation. Where the system calls are intercepted and translated to the new hardware calls, as opposed to creating a fully singing and dancing Xbox 360 emu. HLE requires individual understanding of the api calls each game makes which would explain some kind of wrapper per game. Indeed this is how Xbox classic emulation worked on 360 if I’m not wrong, makes sense they built on it.

See what you find.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
That is recompiling a virtual gpu into x86 not game code. Look in the article I linked further down.
They clearly said they need to recompile each game...

Last edited:

jose4gg

Well if they keep adding content yes they can reach 288GB but that is very unlikely for a yearly franchise.

I don't think they will add content, the only thing they will do is increase the quality of the content they use, instead of 1080p textures, they can go with 4 and 8K textures... Will It increase the game file? yes. Will they be able to remove a lot of duplicate assets? yes. Will they use better compression than before because now they don't need to decompress using the CPU? Yes... So if they needed 35% of 500GB for a game, good, now they have 35% of 825GB...

Corndog

Banned

edit:
Edit2: did I miss that whole bottom section you posted? I must be blind today.

Shmunter

In simple terms they created a emulator for 360 to run over x86 and the games needs to be compiled to it.
Definitely sounds like HLE. Low compatibility due to individual analysis required, but best performance.

Being able to recompile and hack the game around to run closer to natively, or in the way WINE works is preferable to running in some software emulator. Microsoft are doing a good job, either way. Much harder to do with games tightly optimised around Cell and its quirks and timings, I'd imagine.

DaGwaphics

I was wrong.
Sounds like there is some recompile but I don’t think they are using source code

I was looking for this today. I thought I had seen them directly mention recompiling the games. The IGN article I found made it sound like they weren't. That's "journalism" for you.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I don't think they will add content, the only thing they will do is increase the quality of the content they use, instead of 1080p textures, they can go with 4 and 8K textures... Will It increase the game file? yes. Will they be able to remove a lot of duplicate assets? yes. Will they use better compression than before because now they don't need to decompress using the CPU? Yes... So if they needed 35% of 500GB for a game, good, now they have 35% of 825GB...
I’m not sure what are you trying to say... the community 8k texture pack for Skyrim is 5.5GB.
Texture won’t increase the game size like you are thinking even with 8k textures.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Being able to recompile and hack the game around to run closer to natively, or in the way WINE works is preferable to running in some software emulator. Microsoft are doing a good job, either way. Much harder to do with games tightly optimised around Cell and its quirks and timings, I'd imagine.
It is still software emulation.
The 360 GPU is emulated on XB1.
They recompile the games to get better performance because they have the source game for that something that most emulators doesn’t.

It is different from Wine.

Last edited:

Corndog

Banned
It is still software emulation.
The 360 GPU is emulated on XB1.
They recompile the games to get better performance because they have the source game for that something that most emulators doesn’t.

It is different from Wine.
I could be wrong but I don’t think they have source. I assume they disassemble the executable.
Ps. Here is another interview about backwards compatibility. I only listened to a little bit so far.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Maybe I missed it, but why aren't there more discussions about machine learning? I know that a chief studio officer from EA, I believe, made mention of machine learning being powered by the GPU in one of the WIRED articles from 2019. But my questions are:
1. Why didn't Mr. Cerny speak or give any hint about ML in his 'Road to PS5' talk?
2. If ML is present, then is it the same kind of implementation that MS has in their XSX? Basically, does the PS5 support ML just like the XSX does?

It's more than likely that PS5 doesn't need those cheap cheats. When you are already pushing 4.7 polygons per pixel per frame for a 1440p@~40fps why would you need extra computational trickeries like anti-aliasing, VRS, etc? Geometry Engines do crunch sub-pixel polygons so you don't need LOD's, VRS, anti-aliasing, or DLSS. These four are very great for current and ancient gaming methods, we are entering a new era of gaming.

Better use that extra leftover power on what matters.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I could be wrong but I don’t think they have source. I assume they disassemble the executable.
Ps. Here is another interview about backwards compatibility. I only listened to a little bit so far.
To be fair they never disclosed how they recompile it.

First you posted TimDog's shit here as a matter of fact.

Now, you tell us that the next CoD is going to be 35% of the PS5 SSD (825GB). So following your logic, the new CoD is going to be bigger on the SX, because it has 1TB.

Cut the crap ;)

Last edited:

jose4gg

First you posted TimDog's shit here as a matter of fact.

Now, you tell us that the next CoD is going to be the 35% of the PS5 SSD (825Gb). So following your logic, the new CoD is going to be bigger on the SX, because it has 1TB.

Cut the crap ;)

No, that's not what I'm saying, this debate is because people were saying increasing the size of the file would not be possible because the size of the SSD, I responded with this calculation, saying that is not what is going to happen...

Bo_Hazem

Banned
No boost mode and no downclocking bits are the kind of attention seeking PR talk that shows how much they are actually lagging behind the competition.

They actively need to bring the competition into the conversation, and that's quite honestly a sign of weakness and shows where you stand on the pecking order.

The blued part is actually what I liked about Sony here, they're just referring to themselves and even in the Road to PS5 they were comparing to themselves as well, skipping competition:

149513.jpg

It's strange when Phil said that both PlayStation and Nintendo aren't the main competitors, but Google and Amazon are. Then why always refer to the "non-competitor" and even retweet their own demo that they didn't even bother to retweet themselves?:goog_unsure:

I like what Sony's doing here, showing that competition is non-existent.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom