• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Jesus you sure have a way with words 😁...that's one hell of a roasting . I wouldn't be able to post for a week if I was on the receiving end of that.

Cheers for your contribution, I for one remember that you did not spread any false numbers or hints.
All some people are doing is questioning what is being said on here. If you just accept what complete strangers say on here your'e the same as just buying something because the numbers say on the box. Not that that's a bad thing some people just ain't got time or are not that bothered to, even on something s expensive as cars.

Sega Series X rumours keep increasing

SEGA definitely has more clout than Xbox over there, but still not Sony or Nintendo clout.

However, if this is true, I’m definitely going to get a SEGA branded console! That would be amazing, and stuck on something legitimately powerful.

Even better if the deal somehow leads to a SEGA comeback a few years later....

roops67

Guys I wondering if anyone could help me, I've looked everywhere for a good answer but cannot seem to find one. I understand a lot of next-gen specs but something I still find confusing is the GPU bandwidth, PS5 GPU bandwidth is 448 GB/s right? what does that mean though and how is it different from things like the I/O
That's the total (448GB/s) what's available to the whole of the APU, so it's shared amongst the GPU and the CPU within the APU. That 448GB/s figure is derived from the GDDR6 memory speed 14ghz multiplied by 256 lanes (4 X 64bit memory controllers on Sony's APU) which gives 3,584Gb/s (gigaBITS per second) then divide by 8 to get 448GB/s (gigaBYTES per second). For comparison the XSX APU has 5 X 64bit controllers, apply the same maths above and you get 560GB/s (but it gets hell of a lot more complicated for the XSX!!).

Not so easy figuring out the GPU bandwidth. I've seen rough calculations done here like this: shave off some bandwidth for the CPU and other overheads maybe 48GB/s for extreme simplicity, leaves you 400GB/s for the GPU, then split that up amongst the TFLOPS so that 400 divide by 10.28 TFLOPS gives about 40GB/s per TFLOP. But this is not representative of the actual bandwidth of the GPU at all, its a very rough calculation stating the maximum 'available' bandwidth for the GPU (personally I don't think using this metric makes a lot of sense, would be 'slightly' more useful if it's calculated maximum bandwidth available for per CU)

To calculate the TFLOPS of the GPU is frequency(2.23ghz) X CU's(36) X ROPS(64) X 2(RDNA2 does 2 operations per cycle) which will give 10.28 TFLOP/s for the PS5. Now to calculate what the actual memory bandwidth would be to feed all those CU's at that frequency... I'm not actually sure about yet :messenger_squinting_tongue:. Somebody else can help here?

Hope this answers some of what you were asking. There's no direct abstraction that can be made with the IO bandwidths and above calculations, there are other factors that need to be taken into consideration

Last edited:

Dee_Dee

SEGA definitely has more clout than Xbox over there, but still not Sony or Nintendo clout.

However, if this is true, I’m definitely going to get a SEGA branded console! That would be amazing, and stuck on something legitimately powerful.

Even better if the deal somehow leads to a SEGA comeback a few years later....
It would be so cool if this led to Sega making consoles again. I would cry

Bo_Hazem

Banned

This gives me the vibe of the rebadged Nissan Patrol as Ford Maverick :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

2111289584_15c5672732_b.jpg

I remember an Aussie guy calling it the most reliable car in Ford's history:messenger_tears_of_joy:

(1988-1997) Along with offroading, still until today the most dominant for extreme modifications in the GCC along with the newer version Y61 (1998-present)

Those factory solid axles, shafts, and chassis could stand extremely modified engines up to 3500hp on sand, and the factory manual transmission can take 1000-1600hp for daily use!

Those are inline-6 some reaching up to 3500hp, if you see the exhaust on the left from a driver point of view then it's Nissan Patrol's TB48DE 4.8L inline-6, if the opposite it's Toyota Land Cruiser's 4.5L inline-6.

Up hill sand drag race, the most punishing kind of drag race:

The V8 category, and you can see there are barely any other car used besides Nissan Patrols

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem what sinister blue magic did you find? Is that PS5 or PC build on Ultra?

You mean for the HZD models? They're usually not used as they are in the final product, and I've been gaming on 4K TV since 2015 and got the pro on late 2016. Played HZD and those models are way higher than the final game, so those can be patched along with higher assets to run on PS5 enhanced.

EDIT: Those screenshots were in PS4 Pro photo mode, I misjudged.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
When did I say that TF is more important than efficiency? If I have always defended efficiency above theoretical power (the numbers used in packaging). Are you talking about me or are you talking about what others have interpreted (good or bad) about my contributions? Because, as far as I know, I have never claimed that PS5 was going to have 13.8TF (neither GCN nor RDNA nor RDNA2). In any case perhaps you mean the 13.8TF that I have always mentioned as a clear joke that I had with some users. Maybe you didn't read those messages. It's possible. With so many messages it is difficult to keep track of these things and be left alone with what the masses interpret. It is much easier to accuse in a short message without first analyzing the original information or even asking me privately to know if you were shitting it or not. But I am sure your intentions were not bad. I forgive you.
Couple if things I wanted to say to clarify why I responded to you after you shared that video from that dev with the message: "Especially important for TFLovers.", which was a jab at people currently saying the XSX is the better system.

I know multiple times you said 13.8TF was a joke, that you kept repeating, but that wasn't actually why I said you liked TF. It was actually because of your "puberty" reference, where you said it could go from 10-17, but you personally thought it started around 11, or even 12-13. That's it basically, nothing more, nothing less. I might've been too direct in my response.

The rest of your essay I basically agree with, although I'm still in the group that first wants to see actual games. Not interpretations from devs or demo's. I don't listen to devs saying the speed of the SSD will be the actual differentiator between both systems, and I don't listen to devs saying that in the end it won't actually matter.

Maybe one thing I don't agree with is your RDNA2 -> GCN calculation because you make it sound like there's an actual performance increase based on these architectures while it's an efficiency difference. Meaning RDNA2 -> GCN doesn't suddenly get more TF's, they can only use those 10.28 - 12.1TF more efficiently, drawing less power. Right? So that whole calculation that people were doing the past months never really made sense.

Last edited by a moderator:

roops67

PS5 backward compatibility to PS3 is not too far fetched as it sounds. What better way to utilize the Tempest engine when it's not doing intensive 3D audio, with all the SPU's it's literally a CELL broadband engine (minus the PowerPC general processor)

On that note developers can repurpose the Tempest engine when 3D audio is not required in the game. Can be assisting the workload in specific powerful ways. Remember the PS3 CELL was about 200GFLOPS in its days, that's a lot of CPU power even by today's standards!

All some people are doing is questioning what is being said on here. If you just accept what complete strangers say on here your'e the same as just buying something because the numbers say on the box. Not that that's a bad thing some people just ain't got time or are not that bothered to, even on something s expensive as cars.

Yes you gotta be cautious but the opinion of an industry pro that has been vetted by mods presumably and who had access to PS5 dev kits or worked with people that had both PS5 and XsX carries far more weight than someone just spouting 'one console is more powerful because it has higher tflops, end of story' type of argument, especially as this kind of thinking is imo very misplaced.

Real world performance and a theoretical number have never been the same thing. Coming from the PC space and seeing the obsession in a console context with tflops has had me shaking my head. It's no wonder nearly every single dev has said the same thing; stop obsessing over tflops, it's a waste of time!

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Yes you gotta be cautious but the opinion of an industry pro that has been vetted by mods presumably and who had access to PS5 dev kits or worked with people that had both PS5 and XsX carries far more weight than someone just spouting 'one console is more powerful because it has higher tflops, end of story' type of argument, especially as this kind of thinking is imo very misplaced.

Real world performance and a theoretical number have never been the same thing. Coming from the PC space and seeing the obsession in a console context with tflops has had me shaking my head. It's no wonder nearly every single dev has said the same thing; stop obsessing over tflops, it's a waste of time!
I ain't knocking the poster, yeah the poster appears to know their stuff but i like to use multiple reviews and opinions and then make my own opinion when i have the items or tested them.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
giphy.gif

When did I say that TF is more important than efficiency? If I have always defended efficiency above theoretical power (the numbers used in packaging). Are you talking about me or are you talking about what others have interpreted (good or bad) about my contributions? Because, as far as I know, I have never claimed that PS5 was going to have 13.8TF (neither GCN nor RDNA nor RDNA2). In any case perhaps you mean the 13.8TF that I have always mentioned as a clear joke that I had with some users. Maybe you didn't read those messages. It's possible. With so many messages it is difficult to keep track of these things and be left alone with what the masses interpret. It is much easier to accuse in a short message without first analyzing the original information or even asking me privately to know if you were shitting it or not. But I am sure your intentions were not bad. I forgive you.

Likewise, let us take advantage of the moment to break down the general theme and put each one in her place (so that each one feels alluded to in what she sees fit).

Let's see, the only thing I have stated about PS5 is that it was not 9.2TF. That was over 10TF. And that at one point in time it was more efficient based on the initial DevKits (which over time has been changing to one side and the other to the point that to this day I continue to defend that the final version of PS5 will continue to be more efficient). What does that mean? Well, with less you get more. And that's it.

I have also said good things about XSX (but those are easily forgotten from what I see).

What's wrong with assuming that one product is more revolutionary than another? It's reality. Why not admit it? What do they pay you?

And what is even worse, is that I am not supposed to talk about TFs in a thread called "Speculation / Analysis / Leaks" where all the time TFs are being talked about and little else. Well, no. There is much more, and that is what I have been trying to tell you since I arrived. That you stop the nonsense of the TFs. Everybody.

Another thing is that you like to talk about theoretical equivalences. Where certainly, if you want to talk about theoretical equivalences then ...

9.2 RDNA2 = 11.5 RDNA = 13.8 GCN
10.3 RDNA2 = 12.9 RDNA = 15.5 GCN

(In 3 months they will come saying that I have said that PS5 has + 15TF)

13.8 was a joke (which I said on different occasions, including the first time where I already said it was an EXAMPLE) based on the happy 9.2 that some loved so much. Since you will not expect me to skip the NDA, and less in a public forum.

And yes, for me it is legal to talk about GCN values when all the time you are trying to compare them with PC GPUs and trying to catalog them among the 20xx range. Well, if you want to make numerical equivalences, those exposed would be correct.

What you don't quite understand, and that you have been told a thousand times, is that you CANNOT COMPARE PEARS WITH APPLES. Not seriously. You have every right to do it, but it only serves to pass the time. You cannot compare PCs with Consoles. Never. Unless you do it for fun. Or to try to get an idea of something, but never to affirm anything serious. On PCs and consoles it does not work the same way. They are not exploited in the same way. They are not designed in the same way. They are not personalized in the same way. And they cannot be compared. If you want to do it, you are within your rights, but it is a waste of time.

Now let's go to reality, because talking about theoretical power is fine, but it is pure fantasy everywhere. And what Sony was looking for with PS5 was to make that fantasy come true. That dream". And it has succeeded, it has approached practically perfect efficiency points. Because, excuse me for saying, but did you really believe that the games took advantage of the full potential of your graphics cards? Obviously not, never. Surely it is a reality that some will not be able to bear when the time comes (seen what is seen). But let's be serious. I don't buy a product because of the number it says on the box. I buy a product because of how the games work on it. If you are one of the first, then you are deceived in life. And you know what? That maybe better like this, because that way you will be happier.

But the reality is that this is the theoretical reality. You may like it or not. But it is reality. And I tell you and all developers who touch the system tell you. PS5 is a revolution. And that revolution will have tangible results. Regardless of the TFs.

I will emphasize it for clarity. Saying that something is wonderful does not mean that the other is shit. Siemplente are different. But PS5 is different from everything seen so far and represents a change at all levels.

And forgive me for repeating it but apparently it seems necessary. I have said on countless occasions that theoretical power is NOT important / relevant, what matters is practical efficiency.

I repeat this because it seems that those conversations have been overlooked.

And to remind you that I do not come here to defend anything. I am not a shareholder in any company, and if it were not for the confinement you would still see me less around here. Which perhaps is what many want. So you would not have to assimilate the possible realities that I have come to put on the table. The data is what it is, the XSX GPU is more powerful in theoretical numbers, the results will be something else. Sometimes they will be better and sometimes they will be the same or worse. But I guess it's not what you want to read. And if some people do not like reality or are unable to accept it (which seems perfect to me) let everyone live in their reality. But if you are one of those I have nothing more to talk about because we would all be wasting our time, and I don't want you to waste your time reading directly to me (or indirectly through the interpretations of others). I prefer that you go to do other more interesting things such as perhaps accepting that what they sometimes sell you is not always relevant. NOT ALWAYS. ("not always" means sometimes yes and sometimes no). Or, for example, see the launch of SpaceX in 6 minutes. (https://www.spacex.com/launches/)

And by the way, I'm not the one obsessed with TFs. You always assume that only more TFs can impress you. Well, no. What is impressive about PS5 is not the TFs but many other things. And when I put that gif, what stunned me wasn't exactly the TFs. We developers are not impressed by TFs or GHZs. Logically against more better, but it does not have the relevance that you think. It shouldn't be a measuring stick.

I hope that what I have written has been of some use to you. At least I hope it serves to keep you distracted for the next few hours while I'm going to watch the launch of SpaceX if they don't cancel it again.

In any case do not suffer the others to which I have not yet responded. I will, you are not going to get rid, but I will when I have time. Later tomorrow or when you can.

Especially the response to Bogroll Bogroll .

Cheers

What a wonderful wall of text, sir. We appreciate your presence here a lot. A small golden gift for all your great contributions here.

Enjoy your time and don't be bothered by those who feel that the interest in their sacred box is fading.

image.png

Last edited:
Couple if things I wanted to say to clarify why I responded to you after you shared that video from that dev with the message: "Especially important for TFLovers.", which was a jab at people currently saying the XSX is the better system.

I know multiple times you said 13.8TF was a joke, that you kept repeating, but that wasn't actually why I said you liked TF. It was actually because of your "puberty" reference, where you said it could go from 10-17, but you personally thought it started around 11, or even 12-13. That's it basically, nothing more, nothing less. I might've been too direct in my response.

The rest of your essay I basically agree with, although I'm still in the group that first wants to see actual games. Not interpretations from devs or demo's. I don't listen to devs saying the speed of the SSD will be the actual differentiator between both systems, and I don't listen to devs saying that in the end it won't actually matter.

Maybe one thing I don't agree with is your RDNA2 -> GCN calculation because you make it sound like there's an actual performance increase based on these architectures while it's an efficiency difference. Meaning RDNA2 -> GCN doesn't suddenly get more TF's, they can only use those 10.28 - 12.1TF more efficiently, drawing less power. Right? So that whole calculation that people were doing the past months never really made sense.

It’s more than power/heat efficiency.
Teraflops really are a theoretical maximum. It implies total CU occupancy every single tick of the clock.
The way the GPU handles its caches and schedules work for them dictates how close you can get to that theoretical maximum, and new architecture improve CU occupancy.

In other words, a 12 TF GCN GPU might struggle to average 8 TF due to how large the wavefronts need to be, and how fine the scheduling hardware can fill them up, and how often the GPU caches get entirely invalidated etc.

A 10 TF RDNA2 GPU might be able to average 8 TF due to improvements in CU occupancy from better scheduling and closer larger caches. Getting slightly closer to the theoretical maximum.

In this case both cards perform the same. In this case a 10 TF RDNA2 is like a 12 TF GCN GPU.

It’s really no joke nor excuse to say these numbers are theoretical. A GPU running some synthetic task trying to get 100% CU occupancy would likely overheat or draw more power than its TDP and have to throttle back.

Efficiency matters. Making sure all your CUs are not just given work, but given no time to breath all adds up.

PS5 backward compatibility to PS3 is not too far fetched as it sounds. What better way to utilize the Tempest engine when it's not doing intensive 3D audio, with all the SPU's it's literally a CELL broadband engine (minus the PowerPC general processor)

On that note developers can repurpose the Tempest engine when 3D audio is not required in the game. Can be assisting the workload in specific powerful ways. Remember the PS3 CELL was about 200GFLOPS in its days, that's a lot of CPU power even by today's standards!

I think it’s two repurposed CUs.

silent head

"It's still in the early planning stages so I can't say much, but on the down-low I'm actively working on it," Kojima told Livedoor, before revealing his upset at the recent cancellation of a mystery major project.

"Recently a major project of mine got cancelled so I'm pretty pissed, but that's the games industry for you," Kojima said.

In the same interview, Kojima denied he'd bought Metal Gear Solid and P.T. from Konami, saying "that's completely false". Konami, though, is reportedly plotting to revive the Silent Hill franchise. In a statement issued to Eurogamer back in January, the Japanese company said: "We cannot share anything at this point, but we are listening to customer feedback and considering ways to provide the next title."

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I think it’s two repurposed CUs.

They say it is about the same power as PS4’s CPU (so about 110 GFLOPS give or take, the baseline was not PS4 Pro... which, btw, people thought was a shitty update CPU wise and yet it went from 1.6 GHz to 2.1 GHz and people moan about 100-300 MHz difference in the current setups CPU wise :rolleyes:), but they caution about bandwidth usage from Tempest as it is attached to the CPU side of things and bandwidth may affect GPU disproportionately IIRC (maybe they have tweaked things and it is better now) —> edit: Tempest running around GPU clocks might mean it is on the GPU side of things, but I do not think it is part of the GPU section of the die. It could just be that it is attached to the CPU side of things, but since it is an RDNA2 derives unit it cannot run any faster surely bit at 3.5 GHz.

The good thing about it, like CELL SPU’s, is that memory can be efficiently managed through local scratch pads and manual DMA transfers, so it gives another area to optimise/find extra performance in for physics and/or animations (it sits close to the CPU cores so I see it sharing data and work with it) although I see devs leaning on it for actual audio work most of the time.

It is nice to know it is not forced to only do audio work and developers can actually optimise it for other tasks.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Man, that's really a brilliant catch!

The "overwhelming computing pawer" should also be used for other calculations in games, as Mark Cerny confirmed.

The "tempest engine" is based on AMD's GPU technology, and is built around SPU-like architecture, which is not dissimilar to the PS3.

(It mean it's similar to PS3 but a smart ass thought it is some Shakespear-Sokrates mind-fuckery shit to use those words together [not dissimilar] 🤪 )

Last edited:

Vae_Victis

Banned
OK got hold of a document apparently from one of the retailers in my country. It is in Turkish and looks similar to official documents for PS4 generation when it was going on pre-order. And it has all the correct specs and everything but also information on BC, it says PS2 and PS3 games are BC on PS5 and not just PS4 games. I will share that now, feel free to discuss if it is fake or if it could be real.

IMG_20200530_164556.jpg

Edit: source website for your translation pleasure
On paper, a bit hard to believe honestly, but not impossible...

Though there is something to be said about the lack of PS1 from the list even though they say the console can play games from "all previous versions" of PlayStation. The reason may simply be that the PS5 disk reader doesn't support CDs, while as far as I can find it does support DVDs (which covers PS2).

I obviously don't know this retailer and how serious they usually are with their marketing and promotional materials (e.g. is it unthinkable they quickly penned one based on rumors more than official info from Sony?), but if they are a reliable source, this is indeed worth taking into consideration.

DrDamn

I think a Demon Souls remake would be awful and I have been screaming for MGS from the day BluePoint mentioned their next game. However, it could be a long time before BB2 and Elden Ring so its a big get for fans of the series.

EDIT: Is this accurate? Only 87k played the game? That can't be right.

Aside from what ethomaz ethomaz pointed out - that the site only tracks a subset of the PSN population (4.4m) - the link you posted is only for the Asian release of Demon's Souls. If you go to games and search it lists the US and EU versions separately.

All versions

Which total ~400k

IkarugaDE

They have been posing as the successors of SEGA for decades, they're just going to use official branding to the effect in Japan.

It would be a shame if SEGA agrees to help the company that exploited their fall the most.
I mean, it could be possible. But it doesn't sounds like something which "shakes the gaming Industry" and "is similar to the PS5 wired article". I mean; People are not stupid, they know it will be just a re-branded xbox. Is that really game-changing? I don't think so.

IMO it's something different and I would stay at my idea it could be a Switch-competitor (maybe with some licences from Sony or MS to bring up some cool games at launch?).

FranXico

I mean, it could be possible. But it doesn't sounds like something which "shakes the gaming Industry" and "is similar to the PS5 wired article". I mean; People are not stupid, they know it will be just a re-branded xbox. Is that really game-changing? I don't think so.

IMO it's something different and I would stay at my idea it could be a Switch-competitor (maybe with some licences from Sony or MS to bring up some cool games at launch?).
I hope it's a true SEGA handheld, because I want to support SEGA.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

A Game Gear successor? Why not? My old one, still around.

149570.jpg

Got it when I was in 5th grade, quite embarrassing to know how...

Got my penis circumcised, then relatives visited me congratulating and giving me money. I think I got around ~600 Omani Rials ( ~$1560 USD) and spent them on Sega MegaDrive games and got that Game Gear and spoiled the rest around on a bicycle etc :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

IkarugaDE

I hope it's a true SEGA handheld, because I want to support SEGA.
Also an option.

This and other sites said there will be an famitsu article which is revolutionary and has something to do with sega.

So, some easy questions:

Is an announcment of an existing Sega-IP revolutionary?
Is a rebranding of an series x revolutionary?
Is another mini-console revolutionary?

The only question for me would be whether this announcement was completely exaggerated or not. If not I can't believe it's one of the above.

A Game Gear successor? Why not? My old one, still around.

149570.jpg

Got it when I was in 5th grade, quite embarrassing to know how...

Got my penis circumcised, then relatives visit me and congratulate me and give me money. I think I got around ~600 Omani Rials ( ~$1560 USD) and spent them on Sega MegaDrive games and got that Game Gear and spoiled the rest around on a bicycle etc :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Also an option.

This and other sites said there will be an famitsu article which is revolutionary and has something to do with sega.

So, some easy questions:

Is an announcment of an existing Sega-IP revolutionary?
Is a rebranding of an series x revolutionary?
Is another mini-console revolutionary?

The only question for me would be whether this announcement was completely exaggerated or not. If not I can't believe it's one of the above.
I honestly think the rebranding of the Series X would be a big paradigm shift for both companies. Doesn't mean it's a good one, though.

Yeah thats what I was thinking, too.
Could be possible but doesn't sound 'industry shaking' to me.

Also 'sega series x' seriously? How many more silly names is ms going to make up? That would be ridiculous.

I am still leaning more towards Steam/Valve buying/cooperating with Sega to create some form of Console/Handheld.
Then again so could Sony and MS.

Wasn't there a twitter poll from Sony once that asked if people would like to stream PS Games to Switch? Something like this could still happen...

Regarding the PS3 backcompatibility:
I think we already had that theory on this thread that it could potentially be done due to the tempest engine.
As far as I remember it its a repurposed CU thats working like an SPU. Due to the chip improvements (shrink) that have been made in this time I'm sure one such SPU could handle everything that the PS3 was capable to do. It should then be running at GPU clocks/hz right?

Can't wait to hear more official news from Sony about the PS5.

Last edited:
I think he said it shares bandwidth with the CPU, with the GPU being the one unit arbitering RAM accesses.
He said that it shares bandwidth with the system. But with a unified memory pool, what doesn’t?

The Tempest engine itself is, as Cerny explained in his presentation, a revamped AMD compute unit, which runs at the GPU's frequency and delivers 64 flops per cycle. Peak performance from the engine is therefore in the region of 100 gigaflops, in the ballpark of the entire eight-core Jaguar CPU cluster used in PlayStation 4. While based on GPU architecture, utilisation is very, very different.

"GPUs process hundreds or even thousands of wavefronts; the Tempest engine supports two," explains Mark Cerny. "One wavefront is for the 3D audio and other system functionality, and one is for the game. Bandwidth-wise, the Tempest engine can use over 20GB/s, but we have to be a little careful because we don't want the audio to take a notch out of the graphics processing. If the audio processing uses too much bandwidth, that can have a deleterious effect if the graphics processing happens to want to saturate the system bandwidth at the same time."

Sounds GPU resident to me? What’s the source on it being independent of it and affecting RAM bandwidth globally rather than just for the GPU? This suggests a common bus. A modified CU also needs supporting GPU architecture around it.

Just a couple of quick thoughts on the "Sega Series X" issue:

As I said, I think is a big paradigm shift for both companies, if that rebranding in Japan is true. But, I fail to see, unless it's something for future generations to come, how is going to actually make MS gain market share on an established manner. I mean, you're just waving off your brand, so for future hardware pieces you're actually competing against that very rebranding you made, because people might not associate MS with this Series X console.

And then again, I think they're focusing on the wrong market for such a brass and possibly costly action, taking into account that the home console market in Japan has been on a steady decline for years, and is now, more than ever, Nintendo territory. Hell, even Sony doesn't have a particularly big stronghold there anymore. So, in a sense, I feel like it would be an effort kind of wasted there, when they should be focusing much more in Europe, in my opinion.

But of course, just my thoughts, I could be completely off with this.

martino

Does this apply for the Xbox Series X compute units ? If so does anyone have a source. I know Mark Cerny stressed that the PS5 GPU is a custom RDNA 2 and not just a PC part and could play a part in AMD future roadmap
ch0kQPj.png
this is a badly illustrated example to explain node reduction gains (in space)

Last edited:

SSfox

If they'll release VF6 exclusive i'm gonna have to buy Xbox!!!

PS: All this will be useless and totally worthless if MS didn't plan new Exclusive games for their new Xbox, so we'll see.

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
Just a couple of quick thoughts on the "Sega Series X" issue:

As I said, I think is a big paradigm shift for both companies, if that rebranding in Japan is true. But, I fail to see, unless it's something for future generations to come, how is going to actually make MS gain market share on an established manner. I mean, you're just waving off your brand, so for future hardware pieces you're actually competing against that very rebranding you made, because people might not associate MS with this Series X console.

And then again, I think they're focusing on the wrong market for such a brass and possibly costly action, taking into account that the home console market in Japan has been on a steady decline for years, and is now, more than ever, Nintendo territory. Hell, even Sony doesn't have a particularly big stronghold there anymore. So, in a sense, I feel like it would be an effort kind of wasted there, when they should be focusing much more in Europe, in my opinion.

But of course, just my thoughts, I could be completely off with this.

It would be called Sega Xbox Series X. Things like that happens all the time especially on markets where people prefer to buy local brands and Japan is probably one of most extreme examples of that kind of market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom