• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radical_3d

i wouldnt be surprised if they werent ready for june 4th and are using this to delay it until july.
Haha! Could you picture that?

ljDB1Yo.jpg

lol the funny thing is that they still had their e3 sale pretty much the day of his memorial service. so we are allowed to play video games and pay sony money to buy them, but watching some ps5 games? thats blasphemy!

They are "letting other voices be heard right now".....because those voices would likely overshadow their precious PS5 event (ehh, I guess....but probably won't matter much at all in the grand scheme of things had they gone ahead and shown the event on friday).

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
lol this reminded me of this hilarious Bill Burr bit where he goes in on the NFL for showing these 'No more' (wife beating) commercials in between games. He goes 'well i didnt do it, you guys did. you should be the ones watching this commercial.' (its because they saw the ray rice video and didnt do anything about it until the video leaked)

i didnt beat up any black guys. why are you punishing me for it? i didnt stay silent for decades while cops killed both black and white people without any punishment, you guys did. i play games to get away from it all. this last bit is a joke, but its true lol

icerock

Don’t expect stuff to leak out from the PS5 event, they are running a tight ship over there. For past year or so, there hasn’t been a single soul who was accurately able to call its specs. The only rumours we heard were about the I/O as Ybarra made a comment on one of the live streams, along with the SSD Patent. Even then, there were doubts if they’d ever make it to retail unit.

Their paranoia is so high they didn’t even tell the devs who were part of the digital event, as to when it’s airing. Best case scenario would be a hardware design leak, as it’s entering production but the software side seems to be well guarded.

I’m hoping they deliver a new date on upcoming Tuesday.

roops67

Before anyone has a go at me for posting this in the wrong forum, its for those still wanting to know who xacto's girl above is. I believe its Slawada...
www.deviantart.com/slawa
Cos I can't find that exact picture xacto posted (I swear I did see it years ago in her collection) so there's a chance its not her, further close-up scrutiny(perving) is needed 🧐. She's gotten a bit more 'volumptious' over the years, thought to point that out for those who prefer thunder thighs :messenger_grinning:

Unrelated but a great example of 'Rag Doll Physics'...
:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Neo Blaster

I don't really think it's the right thing (morally). They did both for business decisions, plain and simple.

I am with you SlimySnake SlimySnake , I would be totally OK with the whole thing getting leaked. The longer this goes on the harder it has to be to contain it.
You're just frustrated as many of us, friend, but to wish things get leaked is to deprive us of that incredible moment we've been hardly waiting for so long. A little more patience, pal, it's closer than ever and I'm sure it will be amazingly worthy.

Last edited:

NoxNyctores

Before anyone has a go at me for posting this in the wrong forum, its for those still wanting to know who xacto's girl above is. I believe its Slawada...
www.deviantart.com/slawa
Cos I can't find that exact picture xacto posted (I swear I did see it years ago in her collection) so there's a chance its not her, further close-up scrutiny(perving) is needed 🧐. She's gotten a bit more 'volumptious' over the years, thought to point that out for those who prefer thunder thighs :messenger_grinning:

Unrelated but a great example of 'Rag Doll Physics'...
:messenger_tears_of_joy:
That's some nice RTX, how many hours did it take to render? If it's done in real time Sony has already won

Last edited:
Last weekend were the riots...protest have been peaceful since then. Also these protest have become worldwide(over 18 countries) including Sony’s homeland of Japan.

Next time do some research

You can tell a lot about someone during all of this by what words they use to describe what’s going on at the moment, and which parts of it they choose to reference or ignore.
There are protests happening around the world at the moment as you say, most of it peaceful, some of it involving rioting, some of it involving opportunistic looting in the US. There’s also a lot of violence being directed at people doing nothing but using their voice and exercising their right to assembly, which is brain-dead ironic considering a large part of the protest is about police brutality.

I get that this is a gaming forum, but anyone constantly whinging because they don’t get to watch some fucking video game commercials at the moment while referring to what’s happening as merely rioting or looting, or implying Sony or Microsoft or whoever of being stupid for not running a marketing campaign because of rioting or looting is really being selfishly ignorant at best. Immediate additions to the ignore list. Nothing lost whatsoever.

Running a marketing campaign during the boiling point of these international demonstrations and protests for equality and humane treatment would be beyond tone deaf. There was no choice.

I’m lucky in that these issues don’t affect me as much as others because of how I look and where I live. Because of that I was admittedly gutted when the event got postponed, but sometimes shit happens and there are more important things in life.

I have sympathy for people frustrated that the event got delayed and that we’re left guessing as to what comes next. Zero sympathy for those toxic people on all gaming forums right now that channel that frustration into belittling or misrepresenting what’s going on, and more than that think it was a stupid move by gaming companies to just hold for a moment.

Not replying to you because I think you disagree but because it looks like your message was perhaps in reply to someone with nothing better to do than howl about it and point fingers instead of just accepting that it’s shit and we have no idea which is also shit.

Somebody pleaaaaasseee halp, they keep saying the same thing and I can't make em stahp. 😂😂😂

Tell them to check out the Sony patent. The software part of it is like the last quarter of what’s going on to help get data where it needs to go.

The File Archive API element helps eliminate looking up metadata of where to find a file, and skip the virtual file system layer which helps latency and random read performance, but what happens after that is all dedicated transistors flipping.

DirectStorage might help eliminate some of the virtual filesystem overhead, but I’d be surprised if it’s as efficient as File Archive API, which literally hashes a file path & name, looks it up to get a Logical Block Address of the specific SSD PS5 uses, and then passes that off to a co-processor.
Really not anything you can do to that to shave off any more time from the point of view of the CPU.

Dee_Dee

You can tell a lot about someone during all of this by what words they use to describe what’s going on at the moment, and which parts of it they choose to reference or ignore.
There are protests happening around the world at the moment as you say, most of it peaceful, some of it involving rioting, some of it involving opportunistic looting in the US. There’s also a lot of violence being directed at people doing nothing but using their voice and exercising their right to assembly, which is brain-dead ironic considering a large part of the protest is about police brutality.

I get that this is a gaming forum, but anyone constantly whinging because they don’t get to watch some fucking video game commercials at the moment while referring to what’s happening as merely rioting or looting, or implying Sony or Microsoft or whoever of being stupid for not running a marketing campaign because of rioting or looting is really being selfishly ignorant at best. Immediate additions to the ignore list. Nothing lost whatsoever.

Running a marketing campaign during the boiling point of these international demonstrations and protests for equality and humane treatment would be beyond tone deaf. There was no choice.

I’m lucky in that these issues don’t affect me as much as others because of how I look and where I live. Because of that I was admittedly gutted when the event got postponed, but sometimes shit happens and there are more important things in life.

I have sympathy for people frustrated that the event got delayed and that we’re left guessing as to what comes next. Zero sympathy for those toxic people on all gaming forums right now that channel that frustration into belittling or misrepresenting what’s going on, and more than that think it was a stupid move by gaming companies to just hold for a moment.

Not replying to you because I think you disagree but because it looks like your message was perhaps in reply to someone with nothing better to do than howl about it and point fingers instead of just accepting that it’s shit and we have no idea which is also shit.
Very well said and that’s exactly why I responded to that raggedy ass post. We will see the fucking presentation soon and the console isn’t delayed or anything. I was very bummed it got postponed but it is what it is.

Last edited:
Yep. This doesn't make much sense. They gave me Journey and Flower for free on PS4, so it's possible this might be a free upgrade to PS4 owners of bloodborne.

However, this would effectively take away marketing cycles and hype away from their full demon souls remake. it makes zero sense to launch the ps5 with both bloodborne and demon souls.

i have no idea whats going on over at sony. if only they would just do their conference so at least we know which direction they are headed in. right now, its just one bad news and more fud after another.

EDIT: i just realized something. i heard a rumor that sony was trying to make up for the delay. what if they are gonna be giving away the BB remaster as part of their PS+ lineup for launch.

Jason Schreier and Lance McDonald said they didn't heard anything about a Bloodborne remaster so it's probably fake and Jim Ryan said that the PS5 Event would be about showing games only possible on PS5.

So showing a Bloodborne remaster doesn't really make sense especially when they already have Demon's Souls.

Jim Ryan said that the PS5 Event would be about showing games only possible on PS5.

I didn’t realise that was the case? I know Microsoft has been reactionary in their marketing so far, but this sounds like Sony reacting in turn to what Microsoft has shown so far.

Let’s hope it really lives up to that. I want to see at least something first-party that clearly leverages the IO and lives up to that from the perspective of all platforms, and not just versus what’s possible or not on PS4.

Dee_Dee

PS4 5.5GB GDDR5; needs to hold next 30 seconds of data in RAM
PS5 13.5GB GDDR6; needs to hold next 1 second of data in RAM

That plus the massive leap in CPU/GPU ability...

When we see what Playstation Studios was capable of producing during the current generation... let's just say I'm excited to see what jewels they produce.
I admit I was a bit bummed when Cerny did his talk because the specs weren’t what the insiders were saying but after doing some research and listening to what devs/techies are saying I can’t wait to get a PS5.

I’m very excited that both MS and Sony appear to be heading into next gen with a lot of confidence and no major blunders. Really think I’m gonna get both at launch...which would be a first.

Tell them to check out the Sony patent. The software part of it is like the last quarter of what’s going on to help get data where it needs to go.

The File Archive API element helps eliminate looking up metadata of where to find a file, and skip the virtual file system layer which helps latency and random read performance, but what happens after that is all dedicated transistors flipping.

DirectStorage might help eliminate some of the virtual filesystem overhead, but I’d be surprised if it’s as efficient as File Archive API, which literally hashes a file path & name, looks it up to get a Logical Block Address of the specific SSD PS5 uses, and then passes that off to a co-processor.
Really not anything you can do to that to shave off any more time from the point of view of the CPU.

Nice cheers for that! We'll see if they budge 😂 I think PC elites are just used to driver updates, etc, not a fundamental reworking and overhaul in I/O and storage.

Sinthor

Gold Member

Alright, cut the bullshit people. I know this is a gaming forum and people keep saying that, but also use that cover to try to be slick and slide their politics in there as well, casting aspersions on people's character supposedly because of "the words they use to describe what's going on at the moment," and so on. That's bullshit. You can't tell ANYTHING about a person from a few posts on an internet forum, especially when people are blowing off steam. That's like saying someone is a bad person because they're ignoring a government announced curfew while holding a sign up that says "Fuck the police." It's just silly.

So for those of you who live where all of this going on doesn't affect you much..... good for you!

There are legitimate protests, but EVERY NIGHT so far, there is flat out criminal looting, arson, people are being beaten, people are being killed. Police and innocent civilians too. Just in the US, even. I've seen some of this in Sweden and I'm sure other places as well. You can't conflate the protests with THAT activity, but the looting and rioting IS stemming from many of those protests and using them as cover, unfortunately.

I happen to live in an area affected by these so called peaceful protests that have been anything but, so I've seen some of this with my own Mark I eyeballs.

BadBreathOfTheWild BadBreathOfTheWild I agree with you about the bellyaching about the delay though. Sony and other companies would have had the SJW's and others all over them if they'd gone forward with their plans and honestly, it was the polite and right thing to do to delay things anyway. NOT because of the protests, although that's why the companies did it of course, but just because of the human decency factor.

What we NEED is to have people as families get together and stop their families from contributing to the criminal behavior. Join the legitimate protests instead. We were all united that what happened to George Floyd was evil and we all agreed something needed to be done. We need to get back to THAT and not let these cynical MANIPULATORS behind the violence bend the whole thing to THEIR OWN purposes. That is what they WANT because it further divides us. It pushes the conversation AWAY from what happened and the issues that need fixing. Qualified immunity for one thing- I think it needs to go. But anyway, don't want to get more into the politics here.

Everyone needs to get over the delays. They happened. We'll know more when we know more. It truly is small potatoes when people are losing their lives due to all of this and DAILY right now people ARE losing their livelihoods. That affects whole families, not just one person here or there. Oh and by the way, most of those losing their livelihoods in the US at any rate are the immigrant and minority business owners. Doesn't hurt Target or CVS too badly when a store gets looted or burned.

Now, how about those SSD's?? :)

On another note, I'm having a really hard time crediting the rumor of the Bloodborne remaster. I mean, the PS5 is backwards compatible right? Rumors are that it will upscale PS4 games as well so.....if that's true, does that mean the PS5 DOESN'T upscale older BC games? I mean, I would think you could run BB on a PS5 and maybe not have native 4k but at least be upgraded somewhat. Then again, Bloodborne may be a special case. I remember reading at the time that it did some really odd things and was not really "standard" compared to other PS4 games. Not really sure what that means though.

So I'm hoping this just means we will get a Bloodborne SEQUEL instead to go with a Demon Souls remake. THAT would be awesome and hopefully we can just play Bloodborne in BC mode ahead of time to refresh on the game and get hyped. It doesn't have to be 60FPS for me, although that would of course be pretty cool. As long as it didn't hose up the timing.

Oooh...that's it. Wasn't Bloodborne one of the games like DS II that had frames tied to weapon wear or something, that made even mods on the PC side tough? I thought it was SOMETHING like that anyway. I dunno.

I guess we'll see, once we start getting information again. The one good thing about these delays.......they are compressing the time windows so we're likely to get more info all at once that was initially planned to be released over the course of this month. So kind of a feast after the famine!

Meanwhile does anyone have any more solid rumors about the BC in the PS5 and what it may or may not do?

Stay safe everyone and let's hope this weekend is far quieter than last weekend and the week so far!

Sinthor

Gold Member
Jason Schreier and Lance McDonald said they didn't heard anything about a Bloodborne remaster so it's probably fake and Jim Ryan said that the PS5 Event would be about showing games only possible on PS5.

So showing a Bloodborne remaster doesn't really make sense especially when they already have Demon's Souls.

Yeah, I really hope that it's a big mistake or else it's a Bloodborne SEQUEL instead. Too many questions about a remaster, especially when you should supposedly be able to play the original BB on the PS5 anyway? I dunno...we shall see.

Sinthor

Gold Member
I didn’t realise that was the case? I know Microsoft has been reactionary in their marketing so far, but this sounds like Sony reacting in turn to what Microsoft has shown so far.

Let’s hope it really lives up to that. I want to see at least something first-party that clearly leverages the IO and lives up to that from the perspective of all platforms, and not just versus what’s possible or not on PS4.
Yeah, I don't think that's what he said. Or at least not in the most recent updates and announcements...

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/0...ook-at-the-future-of-gaming-on-playstation-5/

Sinthor

Gold Member
Last weekend were the riots...protest have been peaceful since then. Also these protest have become worldwide(over 18 countries) including Sony’s homeland of Japan.

Next time do some research

Maybe YOU should do some research. Better yet, just stick to games, huh?

Totally peaceful since last weekend, huh? And in case you think this is "fake news" you can find the video on YouTube...
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...captain-killed-amid-floyd-protest/3133037001/

Faithless83

Banned
Going a lot off topic here:

I do believe the problem, in the US at least, is more cultural than racism itself. The numbers of violence, single moms and kids quitting schools is a lot higher among PoC than white people.
I don't think racism got any worse there than the 40's and 50's and yet the numbers didn't improve. It's a never ending historical debt and from time to time things like this will happen.
Why? Because they do happen with other races as well.
People are so desperatly looking for someone to blame, they even "forgotten" about the pandemic that's going on.

If the cop was black as well or both white, would it make it any better? It was still a crime.

That said, let's not call each other racists "for not caring enough".

Dee_Dee

Maybe YOU should do some research. Better yet, just stick to games, huh?

Totally peaceful since last weekend, huh? And in case you think this is "fake news" you can find the video on YouTube...
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...captain-killed-amid-floyd-protest/3133037001/
So every protester= violent looter? Nice work you’ve done there. Maybe I should post a bunch of links that have shown peaceful demonstrations. Or let me post about the lady that died from tear gas, or the police pushing a 75 year old bleeding from his skull and is critical condition. Or articles of protesters getting drive by peppered sprayed even though they weren’t agitating or blocking any streets. How bout the videos of protesters yelling at agitators or physically stopping them from destroying property. Guessing you conveniently didn’t see those.

If you can’t tell the difference between a protester and a looter then that’s your problem.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom