• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Codexer

EaAlF1XWoAEvgZH

saintjules

Now on Playstation Europe's Youtube page. In case anyone wanted to wait on official confirmation.

Updated via PS Blog now too

Now that the event is confirmed for June 11, I wanted to add that this pre-taped program will be broadcast at 1080p and 30 frames per second. This eased the show’s production process during a time when many of our team and developers are working from home. The games you’ll see on Thursday will look even better when you play them on PS5 with a 4K TV, as you’d expect.

Edit: Beaten lol.

Last edited:

Naddy

Banned
Just like one motherf##ing thing my dude and just chill with the concern all the time, it is not good for your weak precious heart.

but other sites are already back to normal 4K, e.g. netflix streams in full quality again. dont know why its not possible? but ok, it is what it is.

I would imagine a 4k reupload/version becomes available right after it streams live

I dont think so:

I wanted to add that this pre-taped program will be broadcast at 1080p and 30 frames per second. This eased the show’s production process during a time when many of our team and developers are working from home.

So, basically it is 1080p@30fps because production would be easier this way. So, I don't think it was even produced at all in 4K, it was 1080p@30fps all the time, it seems.

SSfox

This 1080p thing is more that the games are WIP (obviousely tho the games are WIP)

I prefer this and the games actually truly runs on PS5 rather than doing a BS show of the games on some NASA PC

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
Microsoft Executive Says Xbox Series X Devs Will Learn to Address PS5 SSD Loading Screen Advantage

Bill Stillwell, Program Manager at Microsoft who is currently on the Hololens project (was working on Xbox prior) recently took part in a live Iron Lords Podcast where he opened up a bit about the loading screens concerning the PS5 SSD.

Bill Stillwell: I’ll say two things with that. One, I understand that its a marketing point and I think I said in the last Podcast we did, I’m really impressed in the archeticture they did with their drive and they’ll be able to do really cool stuff with it. I also don’t think it’s as impressive over what you’ll be able to do what the Series X has done and so I have high confident in that team. I will also say, look I reserve the right to wake up smarter tomorrow and someone may prove me wrong and we’ll learn.The one thing I have learned is I’v never underestimated game developers to take advantage of something and work around it, but that works on both sides. And so the ability of a game developer to look and say “okay I’m building this game and I want to have seamless transition with no loading screens on PlayStation, but I’m also gonna want to sell on an Xbox, what am I going to do to manage that kind of thing?” Like that will be the trick and the techniques, and so maybe, I’m just making this up, but maybe there are elevators in the Xbox version and not the Sony version. I don’t know how they’re gonna address it, but they will learn to address it and they will figure out ways to work around it, and that’s where you’ll get these economies of these statement of absolute versus what we can actually do when these games releases

He goes on to state that by no means he speaks for the company, though he believes that first-party games will take advantage of next-gen features, with the majority of platforms being designed for multiplatform in mind.

😏

LucidFlux

I doubt the 1080p30 broadcast is due to any bandwidth limitations. My guess is that parts or all of this presentation may very well have been provided in 4k, however this is a prerecorded 1 hour+ long video which means someone had to edit this all together. It's been watched many times internally looking for mistakes which if found means rendering the whole thing out yet again. Maybe the editor doesn't have access to their beefy work station they normally edit on, so dropping the resolution and bit rate down speeds the process up considerably both because of decreased rendering time and lower file transfer size.

Source: Me doing this right now for my company :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Sinthor

Gold Member
Watch with headphones on

Well there you have it! Queue all the rumors and "proofs" coming after the show claiming that the PS5 can only handle 1080p @30FPS and Sony is using that whole "internet stream" thing as a lame EXCUSE for their 7-8TF under load PS5 hardware!

I mean, it's 2020 after all. If Sony's hardware was CAPABLE of it, there's no reason they couldn't have broadcasted in 4k!!!! :messenger_winking_tongue:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
One notable move is Microsoft’s unannounced June Xbox event. The company was aiming to show off the long-rumored, more-affordable Xbox Lockhart around June 9. But it pushed those plans all the way to August — at least for now. Microsoft doesn’t want to go before Sony’s Thursday event.

Now that the PS5 game reveal livestream has a new date, however, things could change at Microsoft once again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom