• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerlurk

Banned

That 825gb space gonna get eaten up quick

I got a usb to sata adapter and have a 2 tb ssd drive for my Pro, and what I plan to do with the PS5, is hook that up, to store PS4 games, and for possibly transferring PS5 games to and from the main drive.

The usb to sata adapter costs like $10 to $20.

It will be interesting to see if get a faster loading speeds for PS4 games. Just curious, as right now, it's fast enough.

Last edited:

Faithless83

Banned
For the next couple of years you should worry more about ps4 -oh, and pc- holding back them "ps5 exclusives"
I said generation for a reason. Maybe third party devs will just say "fuck it" and jump to the "exclusive to PS5"ship altogether, who knows? If PS5 gets a nice headstart over Xbox, It's not a strange concept.

Develop first to the platform that is easy to develop for (no sliders needed for different SKUs) and port it to the rest. (remember the PS360 early years?)

xHunter

10579728315_883e9f8daa_o.png

Good times

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
PS4, PS5, Xbox One/Series S/X, do/will all support Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio. But mostly just for Blu-rays.

Xbox One/Series S/X support some games mixed in Dolby TrueHD, some even with Atmos. But most games are just Dolby/DTS 5.1 or 7.1.

Xbox One/Series S/X also support DTS:X via DTS-HD MA but only for Blu-rays, not games.

PS4 supports games mixed in Dolby/DTS 5.1 or 7.1. As far as I know, PS4 only supports DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD for Blu-rays.

PS5 will have its own proprietary Tempest 3D Audio output for games. I doubt it will support DTS:X/Atmos at all.

Otherwise PS5 and PS4 should have same audio formats supported. Digital PS5 might be a tad different due to lack of BD drive.

DTS X for Headphones for games just released on Bone and Bone X but it's not free. $20.

Sony apologizes for problems with PS5 pre-orders and promises to provide retailers with more consoles

Kerlurk

Banned
You will get 4K downsampled to 1080p which your 1440p monitor will scale.

Only if the game outputs it like that.

I'm talking about the video options in the settings of the PS4 Pro. It will not allow 4K to be selected, if a 1440p monitor is hooked up.

Here's hoping the PS5 has a 1440p output option.

Last edited:

Vae_Victis

Banned

Jeez, that sweet sweet clickbait money.

"Minimum" has been standard language for storage spaces on PlayStation games since PS3. It's just they way it's phrased, there is no need for quotation marks as if it means something shady or strange.

Motorst1.jpg

I'm pretty sure "minimum" was even in the PS2 memory card space requirements. So it's not like it has been around for 20 years or something and a gaming journalist should have read it at least once or twice in their lifetime. :messenger_downcast_sweat:

Spider-Man with all DLC and patches is 69 GB on my PS4. The PS5 remaster of Spider-Man is how big exactly? Because that includes all DLC.
Good point, I didn't consider the DLCs. So is the PS5 versions actually SMALLER than on PS4? :messenger_neutral:

I mean, unless Insomniac did some optimization fuckery by installing most of the world map only once for both games, it doesn't look like there is much room for error: Miles Morales is 50 GB on its own, and both games are 105 GB, so it looks like Spider-Man is 55. And it does make sense for them to have a similar size, most of the data would be the world map anyway, and that's very similar for both; scripts, audio files, cinematics, unique enemy models etc. would make a miniscule difference, even if Miles Morales has half or one third of the "content", since the map is in both and that's most of the space.

DaGwaphics

Good point, I didn't consider the DLCs. So is the PS5 versions actually SMALLER than on PS4? :messenger_neutral:

PS5 has good hardware decompression in place, between eliminating duplicates and heavier data compression, the same game should be smaller on PS5 (assuming it has been repackaged for the device).

I said generation for a reason. Maybe third party devs will just say "fuck it" and jump to the "exclusive to PS5"ship altogether, who knows? If PS5 gets a nice headstart over Xbox, It's not a strange concept.

Develop first to the platform that is easy to develop for (no sliders needed for different SKUs) and port it to the rest. (remember the PS360 early years?)
that's a very nice dream you have there and Imma let you finish your dream :messenger_beaming:
but microsoft's game developmemt kit right now offers automatic deployment for xbone, xbone x, pc, series s and series x.
think about that for two minutes.
so, I'd say just forget about third parties going ps5 exclusive without moneyhats.
but even for sony's own games the ps4 will be the anchor that will have to be carried, since there are twice as many ps4s in the wild than xboxes, and series s at 299 will probably make the transition of xbox customers to next gen faster.

kyliethicc

Jeez, that sweet sweet clickbait money.

"Minimum" has been standard language for storage spaces on PlayStation games since PS3. It's just they way it's phrased, there is no need for quotation marks as if it means something shady or strange.

Motorst1.jpg

I'm pretty sure "minimum" was even in the PS2 memory card space requirements. So it's not like it has been around for 20 years or something and a gaming journalist should have read it at least once or twice in their lifetime. :messenger_downcast_sweat:

I mean, unless Insomniac did some optimization fuckery by installing most of the world map only once for both games, it doesn't look like there is much room for error: Miles Morales is 50 GB on its own, and both games are 105 GB, so it looks like Spider-Man is 55. And it does make sense for them to have a similar size, most of the data would be the world map anyway, and that's very similar for both; scripts, audio files, cinematics, unique enemy models etc. would make a miniscule difference, even if Miles Morales has half or one third of the "content", since the map is in both and that's most of the space.
Cerny did say they could use the SSD to make a game smaller sometimes, like Spider-Man. I would hope they could trim that almost 70 GB game down to around 55, then another 50 for Miles. Hopefully each game will be its own file and we can delete just 1 of the 2.

Faithless83

Banned
that's a very nice dream you have there and Imma let you finish your dream :messenger_beaming:
but microsoft's game developmemt kit right now offers automatic deployment for xbone, xbone x, pc, series s and series x.
so, I'd say just forget about third parties going ps5 exclusive without moneyhats.
but even for sony's own games the ps4 will be the anchor that will have to be carried, since there are twice as many ps4s in the wild than xboxes, and series s at 299 will probably make the transition of xbox customers to next gen faster.
I think you are not familiar to development. Deploy a version being a button doesn't mean you won't have to scale down for weaker versions. PS5 devkit is the same as PS4, it just scales up. (timestamped):

Then again, historically devs prioritize what's faster and easier to develop for first, then port it to other platforms. There are cases where a different team or even company do the port. Obviously they can't make the expensive team handle a port, it isn't smart money wise.

So yeah, Microsoft created a problem with this approach. I'm not saying that there won't be ports of games to XSS, all I'm saying is, it's very likely not the same care will be put into the ports.

I seriously don't understand how this guy thinks the scenario you gave him is somehow a "dream" compared to his own. I guess you just need to do the thing he tells everyone that doesn't share his view point. THINK ABOUT IT FOR A FEW MINUTES.

CrysisFreak

Banned

I'm talking about the video options in the settings of the PS4 Pro. It will not allow 4K to be selected, if a 1440p monitor is hooked up.

I do not think that's very likely. Possible yeah, but likely no.
And I'd also recommend to just do the 4K upgrade unless you have a reason not to.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Thanks, didn't know that. So does that then mean some games will have DTS-HD MA mixes? Wouldn't that take up a lot of space on the disc and bloat the file size?

Atmos and DTS X for games, as well as sonic I would assume but that uses HRTF, are not built the same way as a linear track for a movie. They simply apply an algorithm over every sound/file.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

It totally depends on the 1440p monitor.

Again I have had my Pro hooked up to 2 different 1440p monitors and it allows 4k output then the monitor downscales it to 1440p.

I think you are not familiar to development. Deploy a version being a button doesn't mean you won't have to scale down for weaker versions. PS5 devkit is the same as PS4, it just scales up. (timestamped):

Then again, historically devs prioritize what's faster and easier to develop for first, then port it to other platforms. There are cases where a different team or even company do the port. Obviously they can't make the expensive team handle a port, it isn't smart money wise.

So yeah, Microsoft created a problem with this approach. I'm not saying that there won't be ports of games to XSS, all I'm saying is, it's very likely not the same care will be put into the ports.

Did you even watch what you posted, or was the shortcut given to you?

microsoft has ALREADY deployed their multi-development kit, that does exactly what you say cant be done :messenger_winking:
the case of developers that sometimes make the rumors "complaining", they are complaining exactly for this: they have to learn and use a new tool.

on the contrary, sony declares as strategic target to publish on PC space, yet their dev kit is just an upgraded ps4 kit.
they will have to climb that hill, only they will do it later...

edit: HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 you put that smilie there, but if you go ahead with that pc build you are saying, your games will be made with that gdk :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
Just guessing but I think we are about to see more XsX gameplay very soon and possibly even before preorders go live.

I don't doubt that they will. It certainly is something that has some people concerned so they better release some footage soon. With that said I'm not sure if they are going to prove the 12TFs of power that it has with it. It's also another concern that people have with the previous footage.

Last edited:
6 PS5 Aspects Sony Hasn’t Confirmed Yet

Faithless83

Banned
Did you even watch what you posted, or was the shortcut given to you?

microsoft has ALREADY deployed their multi-development kit, that does exactly what you say cant be done :messenger_winking:
the case of developers that sometimes make the rumors "complaining", they are complaining exactly for this: they have to learn and use a new tool.

on the contrary, sony declares as strategic target to publish on PC space, yet their dev kit is just an upgraded ps4 kit.
they will have to climb that hill, only they will do it later...

edit: heisenberg you put that smilie there, but if you go ahead with that pc build you are saying, your games will be made with that gdk

Alright, let me put into other words. Deployment is the last part of development, it's when you compile things for testing. It's not develop to XSX or PC, press a button and it will run on everything. It will execute in everything and likely "blue screen" on weaker machines.

The problem with that is the RAM limitation (I won't even consider the GPU on this case). It won't be a couple of years but the entire gen with a ball & chain attached to the devs that go for multiplatform.

PS devkits aimed to be "coded to the metal" targeting a very specific hardware to squeeze every drop of potential from it. Look into Android vs iPhone or Windows vs IOS. There is a major hardware power difference between them. One must target significantly fewer hardware than the other.

Last edited:

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
NVIDIA RTX 3080 runs Crysis Remastered in 4K/Max Settings at 25-32fps

According to Linus, the RTX3080 was able to push 25-32fps with those settings. From the video footage, we can clearly see the GPU having some trouble running the remaster of Crysis. We can also clearly see some annoying stutters. So yeah, don’t expect to be playing the game in 4K/”Can it Run Crysis?” with more than 35fps anytime soon.

Linus then decreased the game’s settings in order to improve performance. Although he did not show the settings he used, he was still unable to get a constant 60fps experience on the NVIDIA GeForce RTX3080.

So much for “Unlimited Powa”. 😂

I’m just teasing. I know the card is a beast with enough power to spare. But the article is still funny, though.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

It is the whole storage including OS. 768GiB to be precise. So now cut at least 100 GiB for the OS reservation. Something around 650GiB should be available.
Nah PS4 OS doesn't use that much. Xbox OS uses more for system.

PS4 500 GB has 410 usable (82%)
PS4 1 TB has 870 usable (87%)
XOne 500 GB has 365 usable (73%)
XOne 1 TB has 780 usable (78%)

825 is closer to 1000 than 500, so PS5 will likely have more than 82%, but less than 87%.
So PS5 will have around 85% usable, 700 GB.
Your guess of 650 free space would be 78% of the SSD, thats far more than Sony PS OS uses.

XSX will have around 775 usable, XSS will have around 360 usable.
Because the XSX/S OS will also need some storage reserved for quick resume saves.

So the Series X and PS5 will be far more similar is usable storage size than the 1 TB v 825 GB size might seem.
The Xbox will likely have around 75 GB more free space, roughly 1-2 more big games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom