• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
So in Poland XSS and XSX after 26h available in every store.
In polish mediamarkt for PS5 before they deleted counter was 40.000 and it was 12h after starting preorders. Now after 26h for XSX counter was around 400 like on polish "amazon" Allegro. Two biggest retailers sold together 800 XSX and maybe 100 XSS

Rumors are that whole Poland preordered 100.000 PS5 and about 2.000 both new Xboxes.
I think before 2022 MS will have as hard as it gets to sell anything outside US.
People sometimes tend to forget in what position ms is when it comes to markets outside us/uk. Playstation in Europe - and especially here in Poland - is 'the" console. Even older people in my work (50-60 age Group) are talking on brakes about this new playstation sometimes and games on it lmao. I remember when I was new here when i've first heard convo from them about ps made me go what the fuck ;p

Last edited:

cudiye

Man, this thread is beginning to slow down. Even after the info dump from both parties. I still come here every-time disappointed hoping for the ps5 U.I.

li23x61Fl0tiaOK_17FUPNx7pzezfAmXG2WiCQ6t-AZXAxqebnCNaCiDu-7odHHms3yGP1sYwOefMFAXYCeN-aH_YRwnau9-tCMp_HDn-DqWrcg_8KaousbPqUhTlqas3NEe=w220-h293

xacto

Man, this thread is beginning to slow down. Even after the info dump from both parties. I still come here every-time disappointed hoping for the ps5 U.I.

li23x61Fl0tiaOK_17FUPNx7pzezfAmXG2WiCQ6t-AZXAxqebnCNaCiDu-7odHHms3yGP1sYwOefMFAXYCeN-aH_YRwnau9-tCMp_HDn-DqWrcg_8KaousbPqUhTlqas3NEe=w220-h293

Same for me; the least they could do is show the UI; even if it's not the final version, I am sure they could show some of it, "not the final version" plastered all over the place so people wouldn't get the wrong idea. But nothing so far.

Well, I guess come November, we will know what the UI looks like 🤣

Last edited:

Delpij

Wild bet: after a couple more PS5/PC title announcements, Sony will announce that PS+ launches on PC to compete with Gamepass.

Easy on that "most" there, buddy. Maybe on gaming forums, but IRL, there are a lot of agnostics. I'm PS only, but only because the games brought me there. I've only had 1 console at any given time. Went from 2600 -> NES -> Genny -> SNES -> PS1 -> PS2 -> GC -> PS3 -> PS4 -> PS5. Loved Nintendo. Loved Sega Sports, so got a Genny. Zelda drew me back to Nintendo. Couldn't wait for the N64, so got a PS1, and was won over by the library. So I stuck with PS until my PS2 broke (my fault). So, I gave the GC a spin for Mario Sunshine, Zelda, and B:G&E. Went back to the PS afterwards, because Sony's first party made a splash on the PS2, and has kept me since.

I imagine many gamers wander from console to console during their lives, not much caring who makes the machine, but more being drawn in by particular titles that are available at the time of purchase. I was more of a console warrior in the Sega v. Nintendo days, and while Sega was getting Dreamcasted. But I'm still an anomaly, as I discuss gaming online. My college friends had an N64, and we spent tons of time playing Turok, Goldeneye, and others on that. Later, we had lots of TTT, MLB, Live, and Madden sessions on my PS2. I never once heard any of my friends herald one system as being better than another. They just enjoyed the act of playing games, but didn't have any real allegiances. That's an enthusiast thing, but we're vastly outnumbered in the userbase.

Nowadays, I game on my phone and laptop. I traded away my PS4 in exchange for assistance with getting my work visa. I'll only get a PS5, because Sony surpassed Nintendo as my favorite first party games a couple decades ago. Without their first party offerings, I'd still be playing Nintendo games, and would probably have a better gaming PC to handle the 3rd party stuff. I'd like to think that "most people" can enjoy games for what they are, instead of which platform they're on.

Same experience, I mean, look at my avatar!

Master System 2 -> Gameboy -> SNES -> PS -> PS2 -> GC -> DC -> PS3 -> 360 -> PS4 -> Switch.

In the PS360 era, I bought/resold at least 360 to play specific IPs especially Viva Piñata and GEoW.

Nobody in my circle ever fame a damn about the better console, it’s always been about how to play the best games.

That being said, my fondest memories are clearly with PlayStation. Playing MGS and R:Type 4 at Christmas for the first time, finishing FFVII in middle school with Omnislash, Mokujin’s endings in Tekken, GTA 3, P4G etc... nothing comes close in my book.

Last edited:

shubik

People sometimes tend to forget in what position ms is when it comes to markets outside us/uk. Playstation in Europe - and especially here in Poland - is 'the" console. Even older people in my work are (50-60 age Group) are talking on brakes about this new playstation sometimes and games on it lmao. I remember when I was new here when i've first heard convo from them about ps made me go what the fuck ;p

And that's the case for most of Europe. All my friends in Germany go crazy about PS5. Not one talks about Xbox. This is the reality if you look at it globally. And don´t tell me that the European market is not important for sales...

Leekors

Neo Member
I can’t imagine a reason why xbox would not say right now that ES, fallout and other big Bethesda franchises will be exclusive to xbox (or at least not coming to PS) if they were

Handy Fake

I can’t imagine a reason why xbox would not say right now that ES, fallout and other big Bethesda franchises will be exclusive to xbox (or at least not coming to PS) if they were
This is a point like, it would be a devastating blow just weeks from the console launch. Unless they're hanging on 'til after the last two shows from the respective companies.

TBiddy

Easy on that "most" there, buddy. Maybe on gaming forums, but IRL, there are a lot of agnostics

I was referring to "most" who were participating in the wars - or at the very least, who are active in the debates regarding the consoles. In real life, most people don't give a shit.

Interesting Information

But also highly dubious, considering who posted it. The whole "i heard a rumour" screams "i totally made this up".

FranXico

But my biggest problem are these morons in the games media, who keep making their little narratives and being a bunch of hypocrites. The way English speaking media codes the language is too much. See you can apparently play games for free through Gamepass, you gonna get all those games for FREE. Actually it’s a rental service you pay for thank you very much. Sony locking out a userbase from a game for a period of time or a character is anti consumer, but when MS buys Bethesda for 7.5 billy, they are not only saving them(lol) but they are also going to shower their IPs for FREE
That's just corrupt games media servicing their sugar daddy MS. Don't tell me you forgot 2013-14. Any little thing was an excuse to forgive MS, attack Sony and make people forget the discs DRM fiasco ever came close to happening. Later this gen, we already started getting revisionist propaganda both about crossplay and DRM.

It's exactly the same as IT focused media. These clowns are told what to write or say on youtube.

zaitsu

Banned
I was referring to "most" who were participating in the wars - or at the very least, who are active in the debates regarding the consoles. In real life, most people don't give a shit.

But also highly dubious, considering who posted it. The whole "i heard a rumour" screams "i totally made this up".
Ive said many good things lately about Xbox... I've said i might even buy it when games will starting to show. You clearly weren't following ny reaction to Bethesda acquisition making gamepass sweet deal in my eyes.

I provided screenshots from the retailer who has them right now. XBOX doesnt exists in Poland for years and thats a fact everyone living here can tell you.

So yeah. I might be a fanboy, but you ? Youre just full denial/defensive mode.

Last edited:

TrippleA345

I refer to the one written about it. Rumors are boring.

The console war is one big pool of hypocrisy - most people change their opinion based on what their preferred company does or does not do.
Gaming companies are just like any other corporation. Their sole purpose is to make money out of consumers, their goal isn't to please consumers it was never that, their goal was always to please investors who invest money into them and ask for returns. That's how these corporations work. They make a product/service and put it on the market for the average joe to buy into it. Much like selling our data to third parties for profit, that's what those megaconglomerates are all about ,and in the digital age we live in, data of all kinds is being treated as currency.
Fighting and arguing about acquisitions and buyouts will only lead to dead ends and gets us nowhere near a solution. They still have to make back that 7.5B they spent somehow. How they'll achieve that? Time will tell, but this acquisition benefits Microsoft greatly in one way or another. Now whether they'll help bethesda get back on its feet or push it further down the abyss? That much is unknown at this point and it'll be quite a while before we see the fruits of thaf labour.​

Well, I did ask you for an example of something that truly changes the gameplay in a fundamental way. I haven't seen that to exist, though that's going to be subjective so it's up to argument. Again, my point is, there ISN'T any 'cutting edge gameplay' so it doesn't MATTER if you buy that remastered game like Dark Souls versus say a remade Demons Souls. The gameplay formula will be pretty much the same. Just not a whole lot of innovation really possible at this point, I don't think, until we get some new type of hardware...or maybe VR will be that answer. I dunno. But other than having that kind of REAL innovation....you might as well call Skyrim even with all your mods a jumped up Fallout 3 PS3. Because in reality, it IS. Just fancier graphics and some evolutions in game mechanics..but otherwise the same formula type game.

Not saying that's BAD. Just saying people talking about "cutting edge gameplay" this and that, really don't have much to substantiate that, and what there is...is highly subjective. That's all.
Ok then, I will answer one more time.

But first of all I have to say that while I see people quoting me just to say "fuck you" and that seems perfectly ok with the moderation team, I find myself getting warnings for "antagonizing" when I answer back to people that engage me in conversation.
I have also noticed how there is a "team" of users here that are trying to bait others to get banned by reporting, and I will give an example:
A few days ago a claimed "dev" supposedly leaked some ps5 clock frequencies that imo seemed fake. they were too low.
While I never saw anybody else in here trying to explain what seems to be wrong with that leak, when asked I did explain, using video segments from cerny's talk and DF analysis to support my thesis about clockspeeds, and "worst game scenarios" per cerny
So a user quoted my frequencies example, he put teraflops numbers- which I never did, saying "ha! x TF is a bannable number". then the "team" of users reported, and I got moderation messages.
These things seem to be not random but organized.
And its really pathetic for a bunch of people that they live each day in here calling out the "xbox discords of twitter", doing exactly the same thing but worse, and with far worse intentions.
For those people, I will say that while you may think you are smart, just know that you are way more transparent and dumb than you think you are.
End of parenthesis.

Now Sinthor Sinthor , although I asked you to google, apparently you didn't and just came back saying what I underlined in your post.
I don't want to leave things unanswered so it seems that there is no answer.
So, here you go: There are gameplay enhancing mods that enhance the game and make it much more deeper than what it originally was.
For example in combat, there are mods that seperate upper body - lower body and giving a full set of new properties to each, therefore massively enhancing combat choreography and moves. there are mods that remove the boundaries of the original combat system and enhance it a lot, add entire skill trees to combat, even add procedural animation for fluidity. heck, there are even dark souls-like combat mods if someone would like a full rpg that plays like that. Exactly in the same way there are mods that upgrade and enhance magic, smithing, building, etc. there are mods that enhance and upgrade questlines and even NPCs and add completely new subsystems or systems, etc etc.
I hope this answer covers you.
And bethesda is always looking at what the community comes up with, and reiterates in the next game. and there are examples for that too.
I could go on explaining many things about what is considered next gen gameplay and what is corridor-level gameplay full of QTEs and non-interactive cutscenes, but I am 100% convinced that this is not the place for conversations. its a place for smart-ass trolling and baiting.

Also I will not leave jose4gg jose4gg quote of me unanswered, too.
First of all, these polls are very unlike the poll we discussed the other day. that poll was "ps5 or xbox?" while these two you posted are different polls, each being specific either on ps5 or on xbox. So not the same , I hope that is clear to you.
But then, most importantly what you posted single-handedly destroys your own obsession about the timdogs and the xbox secret societies manipulating results with thousands upon thousands of votes they are able to muster. So where is the manipulation of the timdogs in those polls you posted? and they are jeff keighley polls, not some unknown person's polls that get no visibility.
If you still don't understand, then I am afraid I cannot help you more on this subject, that you even say you are an expert on.

These are my 2 cents, and I would appreciate if users stop quoting me thus aiming to get a reply from me, for the reasons I stated in my parenthesis at the start of this post.
I will also drop a mention for Mod of War Mod of War so I'll know that at least one person from the administration team knows what I wrote.

Zoro7

Banned
Nothing. I'm only buying the XSX for my backlog. 2021 will be Halo and 2022 is when we start seeing 2-3 proper exclusives coming out. From 2023 the I imagine we'll be seeing a lot of great games coming out every year
I’m with you there. I think 2022 onwards is a great time to buy the series X. But to buy now for old titles and Halo (which looked like ass so far) is something I just don’t understand.

This is the level of difference I expect with the PS5 version of Forbidden West. Fundamental game design will be gimped, but the CPU will be put to good use with more happening on screen as well as no loading times in places where the PS4 version will have them. Not quite next gen, but I do not expect it to be merely an up-res.

But I don’t get it for freeeeeee 😭

Can't wait. I've already preordered the Ultimate Edition, this is well worth the money.

Last edited:

TBiddy

Ive said many good things lately about Xbox... I've said i might even buy it when games will starting to show. You clearly weren't following ny reaction to Bethesda acquisition making gamepass sweet deal in my eyes.

I provided screenshots from the retailer who has them right now. XBOX doesnt exists in Poland for years and thats a fact everyone living here can tell you.

So yeah. I might be a fanboy, but you ? Youre just full denial/defensive mode.

No, I'm not following you around on the forum, making notes of your reactions to the Bethesda deal, sorry. I'm not doubting the one set of numbers you provided, but when you start writing "I heard a rumour", you might as well write "I'm making a number up".

Not really sure what I'm in denial about. Maybe you could shed some light on it? If you think I'm in denial about the PS5 outselling Xbox in Poland... yeah, no.

This is the level of difference I expect with the PS5 version of Forbidden West. Fundamental game design will be gimped, but the CPU will be put to good use with more happening on screen as well as no loading times in places where the PS4 version will have them. Not quite next gen, but I do not expect it to be merely an up-res.

Should be par for course for re-masters I think (hope?).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Which is when more people will buy a Series X, but not before.

I understand XBox fans being excited about the Bethesda acquisition, but it’s not going to pay real dividends for a long time.

The question is, by that stage, how dominant will Ps5 be?

Because all this talk of Bethesda games being exclusive to XBox goes totally out of the window if the Ps5 install base is twice as large again.
Well we are only talking about exclusive games now of course. There are still 3rd party games that we are still able to play on XSX, and will run better than any other console (normally). For example, I have no interest in Miles Morales, although I would've bought HZD if it was a title of Xbox. So for the moment there's only 1 title until the end of 2021 that I would buy when it comes to PS5 exclusives. That's also not worth switching consoles for if you still got a backlog.

I’m with you there. I think 2022 onwards is a great time to buy the series X. But to buy now for old titles and Halo (which looked like ass so far) is something I just don’t understand.
I still have high hopes for Halo, but that's maybe just the naive fanboy in me :)

Yes, they have recurring revenue with Gamepass, but you're forgetting about the profit, which, according to Greenberg, is really small at the moment.
Well, I'm not going to pretend that I know the Game Pass business model towards developers. Does Microsoft pay a fixed fee for their games? Does that fee increase based on the time played? Or... If it's a fixed fee, then the more people get Game Pass, the quicker it will turn a profit. But again, we don't know the numbers, but if it still exists in 3-5 years, it's working.

Orky

Banned
I need to go back to this specific screenshot I've made previously. This is probably the most raytraced screenshot! Just look at the details of the textures on the wall casting dynamic, raytraced shadows! Overall graphics is wonderful! I think Sony should first acquire Bluepoint, and let them produce their own game for the first time!

vlcsnap-2020-09-18-16h37m50s520.png

Do you know what „bullshots“ are?

FunkMiller

Well we are only talking about exclusive games now of course. There are still 3rd party games that we are still able to play on XSX, and will run better than any other console (normally). For example, I have no interest in Miles Morales, although I would've bought HZD if it was a title of Xbox. So for the moment there's only 1 title until the end of 2021 that I would buy when it comes to PS5 exclusives. That's also not worth switching consoles for if you still got a backlog.

I'm talking about console install base though, not anything to do with exclusive games.

My point is that there's not a lot about the Bethesda deal that's going to shift the dial when it comes to the next couple of years, simply because there won't be any exclusive games coming from the new partnership for that period.

Games sell consoles, and Sony has the better line up of games all told than Microsoft - with a 2:1 ratio console advantage going into this generation.

Now, XBox may certainly make some of that ground up, but if there are significantly more Ps5 owners out there than there are Xbox owners in two years, then you can be guaranteed that all the major Bethesda releases will come out on Playstation, because that's an awful lot of money to leave on the table otherwise. Console wars mean nothing to these corporations. Money does. They're not going to keep games exclusive to XBox if it means losing millions of dollars in unsold copies to the majority of console gamers.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
I'm talking about console install base though, not anything to do with exclusive games.

My point is that there's not a lot about the Bethesda deal that's going to shift the dial when it comes to the next couple of years, simply because there won't be any exclusive games coming from the new partnership for that period.

Games sell consoles, and Sony has the better line up of games all told than Microsoft - with a 2:1 ratio console advantage going into this generation.

Now, XBox may certainly make some of that ground up, but if there are significantly more Ps5 owners out there than there are Xbox owners in two years, then you can be guaranteed that all the major Bethesda releases will come out on Playstation, because that's an awful lot of money to leave on the table otherwise. Console wars mean nothing to these corporations. Money does. They're not going to keep games exclusive to XBox if it means losing millions of dollars in unsold copies to the majority of console gamers.
Well yeah... Personally I would hope that ES6 releases on PS5

Oligarch097

Neo Member
Those who are saying that they will buy the xsx because it plays third party best, apart of the 18% superiority what are the other proofs? Me personally I didn't see anything mind blowing from the green other than PR PR PR. Hell we did not even see next gen games running on it in real time lol. and if you say true 4K vs fake 4K nah man we all saw true 4K/60 on the PS5 in real time with mind fucking blowing graphics.

SaucyJack

Kodokawa would obviously also net them FROM...

What's happening with the anime side of things? I think I read that Sony own part of Funimation and CrunchyRoll is going bankrupt, so Sony were rumored to be consolidating the anime streaming services together?

Yep, FROM would be a good get as part of such a deal.

Regarding the others, Sony acquired 95% of Funimation in 2017 for $143 million, the other 5% was retained by the founder.

Warner Bros own Crunchyroll and have been trying to offload it to Sony. Sony are definitely interested but the initial asking price (reported $1.5 Billion) is prob more than its worth if you compare to Funimation. I wouldn’t be surprised if they agreed a deal at a lower price as they would definitely give a more rounded service and be really competitive vs Netflix.

Oligarch097

Neo Member
Ok, then it's about revenue/profit, right? So when Xbox can beat only PSN, then we can talk about competition.
Lol at those who think that GP is making any money. well if the subscription services are the future of gaming (which I don't like) Sony has the best games and the best first party with a switch of a button they will have the best subscription service hell even PS Now is better right now! Gamepass is overrated.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, then it's about revenue/profit, right? So when Xbox can beat only PSN, then we can talk about competition.
It is. And Microsoft is also losing in that regard, for the moment at least. But this ridiculous gloating when you think that XSX and XSS are not being pre-ordered enough is very unbecoming on you.

Redlight

And that's the case for most of Europe. All my friends in Germany go crazy about PS5. Not one talks about Xbox. This is the reality if you look at it globally. And don´t tell me that the European market is not important for sales...
Well the USA is a big market. A quick search found this...

I'm not vouching for it but if it's right you can see why MS might concentrate on USA first and foremost. I'm sure China is big in their thinking too.

5a2RU51.jpg

Well yeah... Personally I would hope that ES6 releases on PS5

The magnitude of this purchase is pretty huge, but Sony has an *enormous* install base for PS4 and trends look for that to continue with PS5. They've consistently been successful with only the PS3 being a misstep. Their first-party offerings are some of the best around, also.

My point being that I believe that by the time ES6 even is around the corner(probably 2 or 3 years), the install base will be a substantial amount of money to leave on the table when you're wanting to recoup that $7.5B.

I think they'll be timed exclusives or have extra content, but theyll still come to PS5 in time.

Even when Microsoft bought Mojang, Sony worried that Minecraft would vanish, but Spencer himself said "Why would I do that?"; even he couldn't ignore the potential there despite buying them.

Maybe times have changed. I'm not too worried, but I dont want to see a bunch of moneyhatting of major third-party studios by Microsoft(or Sony). Industry consolidation by financial force is a bad idea.

Mr Moose

So a user quoted my frequencies example, he put teraflops numbers- which I never did, saying "ha! x TF is a bannable number". then the "team" of users reported, and I got moderation messages.
These things seem to be not random but organized.
The first part sounds like me, but I don't remember ever saying "ha! x TF is a bannable number" or reporting you. I simply showed how your frequency example would produce 8.75TF which would be way too low judging from the Cerny talk, it's just maths. 2304 x 2 x 1.9GHz = 8.75TF, someone can correct me if I am wrong.
If you'd have gotten banned because of me for showing the TF 1.9GHz would produce, I would have felt bad, as much as you talk a lot of shit, you're still one of the speculation thread family.

Do you know what „bullshots“ are?
Do you? lol

Last edited:

zaitsu

Banned
Why would Sony call it "PS Studios" and have Bluepoint next to it? I think they've already acquired them, but not announced yet. Waiting for the reception of Demon's Souls, and after that, announce it to ride on the hype.
Japan studio was helping Bluepoint i think.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Bo, just because sony for their own reasons do not allow the wealth of mods to be used in your game, be it fallout or skyrim, that doesn't mean that you are right when saying "fallout is ps3, even ps2 was superior" :messenger_tears_of_joy:
that's a playstation only thing my beduin friend :messenger_beaming:

Far Cry 2, years ahead in fluidity and smoothness, around 8 years before it, nearly a decade:

Last edited:

shubik

Well the USA is a big market. A quick search found this...

I'm not vouching for it but if it's right you can see why MS might concentrate on USA first and foremost. I'm sure China is big in their thinking too.

5a2RU51.jpg

Thx for the data. I was lazy :D Well, so that means combined Europe aggregates to 21,15% total (uk included). Which would put it on the third spot. And there are still a couple of countries missing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom