• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

zaitsu

Banned
Project Acoustic as library curently is software based because it exists now. You can use it in your game for xbox right now. It was confirmed by audio guy from Ninja Theory that Series X has hardware audio and now they don't have to fight for CPU and GPU resources.
And before someone will say, that it's not "real" 3d audio. It use HRTF exactly same way as PS5 or any other 3d spatial audio system like Oculus Audio Spatializer or Steam Audio.
Damn. Bo just linked that ninja theory guy. Find another hobby, reading about hardware and trying to understand that isn't your best skill.

Project Acoustic as library curently is software based because it exists now. You can use it in your game for xbox right now. It was confirmed by audio guy from Ninja Theory that Series X has hardware audio and now they don't have to fight for CPU and GPU resources.
And before someone will say, that it's not "real" 3d audio. It use HRTF exactly same way as PS5 or any other 3d spatial audio system like Oculus Audio Spatializer or Steam Audio.

Did the person from Ninja Theory say it frees up GPU resources too? If so that would mean dedicated audio hardware outside of the GPU, and rules out TrueAudio Next being used for audio processing.

They will put their anc headphones in box 🤪 I think slower 6 ventilators are better than big very high rpm one

It's all about the CFM, baby! The problem you can get with multiple smaller fans is when their vibrations all come in and out of phase with each other and cause the chassis to vibrate and make noise. It will need careful controlling of the RPM of each fan and maybe some kind of system to detect chassis vibration even.

My current gaming PC has 6 fans blowing in, and depending on how the fan controller is adjusted it's possible to have a kind of sound oscillation as they harmonically interact with each other.

Now I'm even more excited to see the tear down video.

Last edited:

Handy Fake

This is important, as even if your not sreaming massive assets, doing it quicker and less time is a benefit when you have a time of 16 ms (for 60 FPS) to do everything you need to do.

Lots of little things affect performance over a frame.

Whey this is it exactly.
Speeding up the SSD and throughput takes pressure off all the other hardware. It's an exponential increase system-wide.

SSfox

10 hours from now we would have had PS5 games.

Don't remind me please

daenerys-targaryen-game-of-thrones-season-8-episode-5-first-of-her-name-sad-dark-turn-860x573.jpg

GRIEVEZ

When we're talking about "Sir Colteastwood" we have no idea what's he thinking about 😜
Well I certainly don't, because he blocked me for saying he's a petty man child for - sending "people" after that led guy. Even though he (Colt) was clearly in the wrong
You know I say this because of a direct quote from the CEO from Mooneye Studios, right? They said the demo could never be made into an actual game because that game would be way too big, hundreds of gigabytes.

But feel free to tell me how the CEO of Mooneye Studios is wrong, I'm obtuse and you apparently know better than actual developers.

EDIT: Quote was not by Epic, but by the CEO of Mooneye Studios. Changed my post for this.
While im worried about filesize (PS5, doesnt have texture specific compression algo to my knowledge), you can re use assets... a lot and understand they dont necessarily "have" to use normal maps/light maps/lods/duplicate assets - so that should shave off a decent size (but how much are those savings? - I think someone mentioned 20%~ for asset duplication in Spiderman)

Epic commented about deeming filesize important... so im kind of curious how they are tackling this...

Anyone know any specifics in this regard? Or is that something we'll just have to wait and see :messenger_grinning:

Last edited:

TBiddy

For once, back up your claims and stop dreaming.

As Mark Cerny puts puts it as only supports 32 of quality sources, while this is Dolby Atmos damage control:

"It is not correct that Dolby Atmos handles 32 objects maximum. As a technology, Dolby Atmos can support hundreds of objects simultaneously. Having said that, we refer to some advice from game developers who have already created content with Atmos support: objects are fantastic tools, but you should use them sparingly as regards their number in activity within the same scene. Too many moving objects can create a confusing sound environment."

Oops, The Tempest is GPU-based compute unit, cache-less, SPU-like chip capable of 5,000 sound sources, but they will use only hundreds of high quality sources instead: Timestamped

The XSX sound chip offloads the CPU, because it's the same, old fake 3D audio, CPU-based:

“We finally won’t have to fight with programmers and artists for memory and CPU power,” says senior sound designer Daniele Galante.

AMD's comparing CPU vs GPU 3D audio: (Timestamped)

Go back to your XboxEra Discord FUD generator and try something else.

My dear Bo_Hazem. You claimed that Dolby Atmos only supports 32 sources. The quote you posted literally contradicts your own statement, as Atmos supports hundreds of sources.

You have literally no idea what the audio chip in the XSX looks like and can do. You might be right in your guess, but you're posting it as a fact and you're again failing to provide any facts to back up your claim.

Remember, you said this: "Nope, their solution is barely better than current gen". This is just your usual FUD, as there is literally no info whatsoever regarding their audio chip.

Feel free to talk about Discord, but it would serve you well to start talking facts instead of throwing a hissy fit.

You, as we all, don't have a clue if Series X's audio chip will support HRTF based algorithms. HRTF is not a spatial audio system in and on itself.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
My dear Bo_Hazem. You claimed that Dolby Atmos only supports 32 sources. The quote you posted literally contradicts your own statement, as Atmos supports hundreds of sources.

You have literally no idea what the audio chip in the XSX looks like and can do. You might be right in your guess, but you're posting it as a fact and you're again failing to provide any facts to back up your claim.

Remember, you said this: "Nope, their solution is barely better than current gen". This is just your usual FUD, as there is literally no info whatsoever regarding their audio chip.

Feel free to talk about Discord, but it would serve you well to start talking facts instead of throwing a hissy fit.

I'm done with you, save your essay for someone else. Everything has been provided from my side while you only throw accusations left and right and can't back them up, as usual. Any future quotes providing hollow essays will be skipped.

TBiddy

I'm done with you, save your essay for someone else. Everything has been provided from my side while you only throw accusations left and right and can't back them up, as usual. Any future quotes providing hollow essays will be skipped.

Accusations? You are the one accusing me of hanging out in some Discord.

If you want me to stop writing to you, then stop posting unsubstantiated BS about things you have no clue about. If you can prove your claim that the audio chip in the XSX is "barely better than current gen", feel free to share your proof and shut me up.

Shio

Well I certainly don't, because he blocked me for saying he's a petty man child for - sending "people" after that led guy. Even though he (Colt) was clearly in the wrong

While im worried about filesize (PS5, doesnt have texture specific compression algo to my knowledge), you can re use assets... a lot and understand they dont necessarily "have" to use normal maps/light maps/lods/duplicate assets - so that should shave off a decent size (but how much are those savings? - I think someone mentioned 20%~ for asset duplication in Spiderman)

Epic commented about deeming filesize important... so im kind of curious how they are tackling this...

Anyone know any specifics in this regard? Or is that something we'll just have to wait and see :messenger_grinning:
This is a good point, sure file sizes might go up as resolution of textures increases but what about overall package file sizes? If other data such as normal maps etc which are no longer needed are no longer included how much of a difference does that make? Does anyone know what kind of filesizes of normal maps etc are in comparison to the textures they are assigned to?

Kusarigama

Accusations? You are the one accusing me of hanging out in some Discord.

If you want me to stop writing to you, then stop posting unsubstantiated BS about things you have no clue about. If you can prove your claim that the audio chip in the XSX is "barely better than current gen", feel free to share your proof and shut me up.
The Dolby Atmos tech *CAN* support more than 32 sources, but they have limited it to 32 sources. That's it.

ToadMan

Well there it is then - June 4 should've been coinciding with the Sony conference so I guess they were going to show it.... :messenger_downcast_sweat:

Unfortunately the patent detail text is all in Japanese so we'll have to wait for a translation to see if there is something more about the cooling mechanism.

On the face of it two banks of 3 fans drawing air through the V, through the heatsinks and dumping it out the sides.

I suppose that means this console is designed to sit flat on it's belly given the power and network connector seems to be at the back. There won't be a vertical profile for it... as far as I can see.

Is that 6 USB slots on the front?

Andodalf

Banned
This is a good point, sure file sizes might go up as resolution of textures increases but what about overall package file sizes? If other data such as normal maps etc which are no longer needed are no longer included how much of a difference does that make? Does anyone know what kind of filesizes of normal maps etc are in comparison to the textures they are assigned to?

Normal maps are smaller, typically at least, but moving to 8k texture sets would more than negate any savings. Additionally, normal maps will still be needed and wanted for many types of assets.

Delpij

It’s becoming clearer that, after reinventing the storage architecture of computing systems, and pushing audio forward, Sony is also trying to reinvent current air cooling practices.

I don’t know who will win the console war, but I think Sony is the main driver of a truly generational gap in gaming.

Hardware wise, I imagine a final version that is slightly less thick than the devkit, with sharper edges and increased build quality.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The Dolby Atmos tech *CAN* support more than 32 sources, but they have limited it to 32 sources. That's it.

Yup, same with The Tempest. It supports 5,000 sources, but will limit it to hundreds of sources of high quality, ray-traced audio. Every droplet, can you imagine?

2d0812_a3dbcff787ad4eca8d82afd467843d5a~mv2.jpg

ETaGfjWWkAA-RyL.jpg

Can't wait to experience it!

EDIT: All you need is a simple 2.0 Channel, ordinary headset.

Last edited:

saintjules

It'll be hard to recommend anything as TF2 campaign is one of the best this gen (I also think that its MP is in fact the best). Have you tried Destiny 2? I think it's even free. Just don't get involved in the online/grind part: get to the end of the story and drop it. Also Metro, all 3 of them.

Yeah, I actually downloaded D2 when it was free. As for Metro, downloaded via Gamepass. Thanks, will try them out.

Neo Blaster

This is huge. He's just told the entire industry that Sony left them behind in a puddle of tears. PC hardware will catch up soon but Xbox... Please understand why our games smell of last gen. Please be excited for a mid-gen refresh in 3 years. Please use the cloud in the meanwhile.
I definitely wouldn't be surprised if PS5 came out more expensive than XSX, there's a lot of custom silicon inside. Sony will have to show one hell of a reveal with impressive next gen gameplay to engage buyers if that happens, MS will go full throttle on the power narrative.

Last edited:
Is that 6 USB slots on the front?

It looks exactly like the dev-kit, and it's common for dev-kits to have more ports and indicator LEDs at the front.

No, they recommend developers to limit it to 32 sources. That's a big difference.

Devil's Advocate: Could this be due to a lack of processing power allocated to properly blend the sources together without introducing lots of phasing errors that destroys the effect etc? Cerny made a point that it gets very tricky and computationally costly to have these sound sources moving between these different calculated HRTF nodes etc.
Could it be that Atmos recommends limiting to 32 with the amount of processing they do. They too seem to mention moving sources.

One thing is for certain; Sony is throwing a significant amount of processing power into Tempest. Maybe that's what's meant by being able to do more than 32 sources. Not technically, but with enough processing to calculate how they'd move and interact without weird artefacts and phasing errors?

Kusarigama

No, they recommend developers to limit it to 32 sources. That's a big difference.
I do not know how you interpret this

"*As a technology*, Dolby Atmos *can* support hundreds of objects simultaneously."

They advice this:
"Objects are fantastic tools, but you should use them sparingly as regards their number in activity within the same scene. Too many moving objects can create a confusing sound environment."

Mark Cerny confirmed on record that Dolby Atmos is limited to 32 sources. You can go ahead and call him a liar but do you think... do you *really* think that Mark Cerny lied on stage about other sound technology?

Be better TBiddy TBiddy .

ToadMan

Cerny said 10TF max. We still don't know what real average computing power there is.

Maybe they should spend some more time communicating

1. You mean you don't know. Most people are much better informed. 10.3 Tflops is the mathematical performance of stream processors (2304 for PS5) and clock (2.23Ghz). That's it. Those 2 numbers. Tflops are not used to represent runtime performance.

2. This is brilliant. So Sony spent 1 hour giving a technical overview of their system. We came out of that with an appreciation of the technical nuances of the system, trade offs, benefits and .... excitement! I mean, it was a great presentation by any standard - for a tech presentation it was incredible. I'd love to see Cerny narrate Cosmos like Sagan used to - but I digress.

Meanwhile MS spent nearly an hour for their 3rd Party Gameplay Reveal and we saw not one game running on xsex, all but 2 games are cross gen/mulitplat and 50% of the "xsex" exclusives (although even they are running on PC) has it turns out 5 hours of real gameplay. Oh and 100% of what they showed was meh.

If you're gonna compare communication output, MS aren't gonna come out on top.

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
It’s becoming clearer that, after reinventing the storage architecture of computing systems, and pushing audio forward, Sony is also trying to reinvent current air cooling practices.

I don’t know who will win the console war, but I think Sony is the main driver of a truly generational gap in gaming.

Hardware wise, I imagine a final version that is slightly less thick than the devkit, with sharper edges and increased build quality.
What's new in that cooling system? Judging by pictures and English text it works like any other console or other similar device before. Just bigger, uglier and with more fans.
I don't think that final version could be thinner with that type of cooling. It's limited by size of fans.

I definitely wouldn't be surprised if PS5 came out more expensive than XSX, there's a lot of custom silicon inside. Sony will have to show one hell of a reveal with impressive next gen gameplay to engage buyers if that happens, MS will go full throttle on the power narrative.

I'm expecting PS5 to be more expensive than XSX. I've said it for a while already. XSX to me looks like it targeted big processing numbers for little dollar numbers. Even the controller seems slightly simplified now, despite the Share button addition. The XSX chassis is pure form follows function, single fan, black box. That isn't an insult either, I personally like it and have said that many times, too.
PS5 is splashing out on things that don't really show up in a side-by-side glance at the key components. The controllers have become even more complex and feature-rich over DualShock 4. A lot of the changes to IO are extremely impressive from reading the patent linked here recently, not to mention the fixed power/performance target paradigm, super high GPU clock, and everything else. I can't see how PS5 can be cheaper.

You don't pay per teraflop, but basically per transistor, and PS5 has oodles of transistors outside of the core CPU and GPU. In Tempest and all the fixed-function hardware accelerators. In the SRAM pool, etc

DaGwaphics

Once again, closed platform perks. Sony sacrificed CUs for custom I/O hardware, for PCs to do the same all manufacturers would have to agree to a standard to make SSDs closer to the GPU/VRAM.

Even changes from manufacturers would be moot without changes deep in the OS stack. The two biggest venders there aren't exactly known for fast advancement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom