• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

3liteDragon

So PS5 may look something close to that? Interesting.

It doesn't look as thicc as 2 PS4 Pro to me tho, maybe that russian leak was fake?

While hard to give a real pinion on this but looks pretty good from this angle.

vwwgD6ZzAbhHxEXF3dNvoBWDlqkZWNsNU8mfz3O111hPD1GS4A9d_ZTTZMLql-L1hvGZ4mJ2io2aZlKBvLeIxdJx9WKMiXOsXAHkDrFjSnw-K9Xdnr8FeBLmr1zCk5R8Z3Ebv5o60dtWgoOEk342hls-mQqopt0WGG1dJkerMsw

Now Sony better hurry up before the Sh1t got leak, i mean just saying.
I don't think that's the console.

Handy Fake

More likely focus adjusting to help with the "accommodation reflex" in the eye. Another more minor VR comfort task to work on.

Love how much R&D Sony are pouring in VR. PS5 era VR--providing they implement all this stuff--will be truly next-generation. What they did already on an anaemic PS4 using PS3 tracking is extremely impressive. The PS VR sub-pixel layout, proper lenses and head interface is still better than a lot of PC VR.
Aye, I've just been looking up the inventor's work through Google. It seems to be primarily light refraction and dispersal.
Interesting.
I wonder if it's perhaps a move forward in the lensing.

IkarugaDE

3.WO/2020/110507IMAGE DISPLAY DEVICE AND ELECTRONIC APPARATUS

WO - 04.06.2020

Int.Class H04N 5/74 Appl.No PCT/JP2019/041088 Applicant SONY CORPORATION Inventor OHKAWA Shingo
This image display device comprises: a first optical unit that refracts light from a display element so as to change the direction of advancement along an optical path; a second optical unit upon which the light refracted by the first optical unit falls incident; and a control unit that, when a display region of the display element is divided into a plurality of regions along a scanning direction, controls the distance between the first optical unit and the second optical unit depending on the plurality of regions, thereby establishing a state in which the timing for changing the direction of advancement along the optical path is different depending on the plurality of regions.

Could that be eyetracking for PSVR..?
This patent is from Sony Corp. and not Sony Interactive Entertainment, so it's not PS5-related. Sony releases all gaming-stuff under SIE only. :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:
Dude, in the Road to PS5 video Cerny said it could actually be clocked much higher but they had to downclock it.

Please stop that rubbish.

Could be clocked higher from the point of view of temperature, but not while guaranteeing the logic in the GPU would run correctly.

PS5 GPU is power limited, not heat rejection limited.

Calculation is power. Targeting fixed power is targeting fixed calculation.

Fixed clock doesn't mean fixed amount of calculation. You can idle at 5.0Ghz. You can use 20% of a CPU at 5.0Ghz. You can use 100% of a CPU at 5.0Ghz. What changes is the power draw and amount of work done.

PC/mobile boost reacts to heat and temporarily goes above rated TDP until a certain temperature is reached. It's an entirely different animal to targeting a fixed power draw.

The idea that PS5 can't "sustain" performance shows how people can't wrap their heads around the difference. Even Cerny said that kind of system wouldn't work in a console. People can't understand it and associate boost clocks with what Intel call Turbo etc. Microsoft know this and have played up to it in their marketing. Even in a recent tweet that was merely talking about backwards compatibility. Which kind of backfired a little bit as "Boost mode" in regards PlayStation compatibility means running an old game faster than it ever has, and isn't something to be avoided at all.

saintjules

What if we get a console reveal today with the new date? I mean, the patents are out already and the SoC's are being delivered to Foxconn next week for assembly and with that, chances of the final console design getting leaked are even higher at this point.

I've been wondering about that. There was also the possibility of the Wired Article that is said to drop out of nowhere. I figure it would have been a follow-up to the event that was originally for today. Who knows at this point.

TBiddy

There's a physical limitation with supporting too many audio sources on multi speaker setups because of the crossover (your right ear can hear sounds meant for left and viceversa) it creates artifacts
The main benefit of TE over Dolby is that its a standardized spec that devs can target with the reassurance that the whole userbase can benefit from it. Because of this its bound to get better support

I absolutely agree that (on paper at least) Tempest is a better choice.

How good it will be in reality remains to be seen.

I’m merely pointing out that the whole “Dolby only has 32 sources” is wrong.

Tripolygon

Banned
I trust Dolby over Cerny. Dolby state that they support more than 32 sources, but they dont recommend it.
Do you also trust Dolby over Microsoft?

Windows Sonic Runtime Resource Implications
On Windows and Xbox, the number of available voices varies based on the format in use. Dolby Atmos formats support 32 total active objects (so if a 7.1.4 channel bed is in use, 20 additional dynamic sound objects can be active). Windows Sonic for Headphones supports 128 total active objects, with the Low Frequency Effects (LFE) channel not actually being counted as an object -- so when an 8.1.4.4 channel bed is in use, 112 dynamic sound objects can be active.
seus037.jpg

Their theater implementation supports 118 dynamic objects but home audio/game is limited to 32. Can it support more? Yes but as it stands their own implementation limits it. Mark Cerny did not pull that number out of thin air.

Last edited:

SSfox

Last edited:

SSDfan

Neo Member
Totally agree, and if you search for his daughter Amanda on google, she is also a Visionary.

Be warned though, trying to access those high quality assets will need some serious hardware and if your not up to spec there will be stutter.

I did made a research about Amanda Cerny on Google images and I almost relapsed and screw my nofap journey. A Goddess born from a god.

SonGoku

Sony has not said what minimum clocks are. That would be useful. They probably should show graph of a game running with rates displayed.
afaik there are no base/min clocks, it's designed so that it runs at or close to top speed the majority of the time. Showing a game figures might not be representative of other games
They can't showcase min clocks because its not established, its unpredictable how low it will get in practice as that is tied to power consumption and that varies from game to game.

Last edited:
Sony has not said what minimum clocks are. That would be useful. They probably should show graph of a game running with rates displayed.

Doesn't necessarily mean that you will notice that game running at the minimum clocks. Plus the minimum clocks can be so rare that it doesn't really matter for the system.

What someone explained to me is that the framerate isn't going to be extremely unstable in the PS5 due to the variable clocks. What I mean is that for one second the game runs at 15FPS then jumps up to 45FPS and crashes back down to around 25FPS all in the span of a few seconds.

xool

So PS5 may look something close to that? Interesting.

Now Sony better hurry up before the Sh1t got leak, i mean just saying.
Could that be eyetracking for PSVR..?

No It's not even SIE. It's display tech.

5. Application example of technology of the present disclosure
  5-1. Application example 1 (example of digital still camera)
  5-2. Application example 2 (example of head mounted display)
  5-3. Application example 3 (example of head-up display)

SonGoku

Doesn't necessarily mean that you will notice that game running at the minimum clocks. Plus the minimum clocks can be so rare that it doesn't really matter for the system.
This is a good point, clocks might throttle down during low complexity geometry (menu screens) but you won't notice it aside from the benefit of fan not going full speed.
Plus the minimum clocks can be so rare that it doesn't really matter for the system.
I think it was during Cernys EG interview that clocks asjusting on a frame by frame basis (less than a second)

This is a good point, clocks might throttle down during low complexity geometry (menu screens) but you won't notice it aside from the benefit of fan not going full speed.

I think it was during Cernys EG interview that clocks asjusting on a frame by frame basis (less than a second)

That's why I believe that having the clocks variable shouldn't really matters long as it doesn't ruin the game.

I mostly game on PC now and my clocks are variable. My gaming experience is amazing on the system that I built.

I think if you keep your PS4 games on an external drive then m.2 PCIe 4.0 NVMe drives of sufficient speed and suitable form factor will be abundant and cheap on the open market before 825 GB becomes a problem. Certainly cheaper than a proprietary drive, and potentially of larger capacities, too.
It's a bit of a none issue for me personally. If we were limited to 825 GB for life then I'd be concerned, especially 4-5 years into the generation when the really big stuff that learns on the hardware capabilities starts coming out.

PS4's launched with 500 GB, and yet late in some PS4 games take a huge chunk out of that.
The same will apply here. The answer is storage upgrade, which will be even easier than ever before as you don't even need to replace the original drive any more, but merely add to it. Complete non-issue, as is an IO shredding 200 GB game of the future.

Upgrading a PS4 drive isn't an easy task for a beginner. Adding an additional m.2 drive to a bay will be child's play by comparison.

COD: Modern Warfare is now at 214 GB, and with the update coming up, it will be closer to 240 GB. And that's just for 1 game. It's egregious!

Darius87

The only thing we've had from Sony on the clocks is that they're expected to stay at or near the maximum at all times, as a couple of percent reduction in clocks reduces power consumption by 10%. And you don't need to reduce power consumption by 10% to 90% if you want to be running it at near 100% capacity.

Cerny further clarified in an Eurogamer interview that the clocks stay high without relying on any race-to-idle condition. As in they stayed at maximum clocks even during a game task where the GPU spent the entire 33ms frame doing work.

Anyone expecting the clocks to dip more than a few Mhz is dreaming. Anyone expecting them to dip to 2.0Ghz hasn't understood the technology as implemented. Die temperature isn't even considered.
if couple of percent is worst case then it would dip around 2186Mhz for GPU giving 10.07 Tflops i would not say 44Mhz is a few but i guess this is worst case scenario reducing powerdraw by 10%.

Last edited:

the_master

I wouldn't want to ruin the hopes, but maybe Sony would like to announce the reveal date when people will be paying attention to that.
I mean if tomorrow people and media are still only paying attention to the protests, Sony would not gain much by announcing an event on TV (as they did before) and people would not be too interested in checking the event. So maybe Sony will wait for the situation to calm down (or decide that it will take a long time to calm down thus there'd be no point in further delaying) before the announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom