• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethomaz

Banned
Seems like I missed a lot of fun.

No, and saying that it seems clear you haven't played Forza 7 enough.
Still asking why I say you are trolling?
I don't think you are trolling.

But Forza 7 "dynamic weather" has a lot of static things:

- The sun is pre-backed... it is not dynamic and it does not move (they hide in the same place to make the night).
- In consequence the lighting and shadows are not dynamic... they are pre-backed.
- They change? Yes in a pre backed way triggered by number of laps you raced... it is not dynamic.
- The time of day is not dynamic it is triggered by how many laps you raced.

What is exactly dynamic in the Forza 7's weather system? I mean you choose the ToD and what it will happen (night, rain, etc) in the menu settings before the race... after the game choose a lap and while you did not run that lap it won't trigger the choose weather.

When you reach that lap it will start the transition that you call the "dynamic" part... that is pre-backed where the shadows and lighting doesn't change based in the actual ToD (or the source of lighting) but it just a pre-backed translation to another pre-backed.

You run in a series of weird things like the pre-backed sun, lighting, shadow is the same until you trigger the transition... after the transition it is the new pre-backed sun, lighting, shadow.

There is some funny things too... you can see the sun in the night if you take attention and increase the bright of your image... it is there... it just hidden to fell like the sun did had a sunset.

I ask again what is dynamic in the Weather system in Forza 7?

It is hard to understand how the GT5 weather system worked because it is the complete opposite of what Forza 7's weather system is.... it is dynamic, random, with sunset, with sunrise, with dynamic lighting, with dynamic shadows, etc.

Even Project Cars 2 with all the issues (most people disable dynamic weather in that game) tried to do a dynamic weather system... DriveClub idem in 30fps... etc.

It was talked about that in Forza OT and others threads in the past.

Last edited:

Zadom

Seems like I missed a lot of fun.

I don't think you are trolling.

But Forza 7 "dynamic weather" has a lot of static things:

- The sun is pre-backed... it is not dynamic and it does not move (they hide in the same place to make the night).
- In consequence the lighting and shadows are not dynamic... they are pre-backed.
- They chance? Yes in a pre backed way triggered by number of laps you raced... it is not dynamic.
- The time of day is not dynamic it is triggered by how many laps you raced.

What is exactly dynamic in the Forza 7's weather system? I mean you choose the ToD and what it will happen (night, rain, etc) in the menu settings before the race... after the game choose a lap and while you did not run that lap it won't trigger the choose weather.

When you reach that lap it will start the transition that you call the "dynamic" part... that is pre-backed where the shadows and lighting doesn't change based in the actual ToD (or the source of lighting) but it just a pre-backed translation to another pre-backed.

You run in a series of weird things like the pre-backed sun, lighting, shadow is the same until you trigger the transition... after the transition it is the new pre-backed sun, lighting, shadow.

There is some funny things too... you can see the sun in the night if you take attention and increase the bright of your image... it is there... it just hidden to fell like the sun did had a sunset.

I ask again what is dynamic in the Weather system in Forza 7?

It is hard to understand how the GT5 weather system worked because it is the complete opposite of what Forza 7's weather system is.... it is dynamic, random, with sunset, with sunrise, with dynamic lighting, with dynamic shadows, etc.

Even Project Cars 2 with all the issues (most people disable dynamic weather in that game) tried to do a dynamic weather system... DriveClub idem in 30fps... etc.

It was talked about that in Forza OT and others threads in the past.

yULASBC.jpg

PaintTinJr

Nope. I'm wired into my gigabit route. No sleep mode for the router either and no wifi matching names.
I had a powerline adapter drop in and out awhile back, and was forced to fix the router port (in My mikrotik router) to 100mbit/s half-duplex to the two exhausting themselves in the negotiation capabilities.
Might be worth testing by fixing one or both ends of the connection (PS5 port and router port setting) to something definitely supported by both, then if you have the same issue, it might be the cable is not full capable of connection rate between the two ports, and the delay after sleep is the router establishing an optimal speed between the two with minimal packet loss.

PaintTinJr

Just to clear some misinformation in the above post ...

- 5GHz has four bands, A: channels 36-48, B: channels 52-64, C: channels 100-144, D: channels 149-165
- channels in group B and C overlap with radar, as used in airports to manage air traffic (the channels which overlap vary by country).
- In order to allow use of these channels for devices no where near an airport, DFS (dynamic frequency selection) was chosen. If you are on a DFS channel, you need to check for the presence of 7 different types of RADAR signals, and if detected above a certain threshold, you vacate that channel to prevent you interfering with the RADAR signal, and move to another channel in the 5GHz band. It doesn't drop off to 2.4GHz.
- If your client doesn't support DFS ... and your router is transmitting on a DFS channel, your client won't see the router. With older devices (client and router) support for DFS was hit and miss. Most new devices support this by default now.
It wasn't misinformation for you adding more info - although I acknowledge that people's experience with domestic routers and better will vary around the world with high bandwidth 5GHz wifi.

Most routers that support both 2.4 and 5Ghz come preconfigured with overlapping SSID names and identical WPA2 passwords in the UK, so that if one isn't supported or in range or has vacated a DFS channel in a high 5Ghz contention area, then a device will seamlessly switch between the two different broadcasts.

Your mileage with how routers implement DFS might be completely different to mine - my friend deals with it by paying a frequency license annually, so I'm led to believe - but my £250 Mikrotik unit aggressively vacates channels under even suspected DFS interfere, and because the region has lots of 5Ghz capable routers in neighbouring houses my router kills the interface for a period - and has done this on all the firmware updates for the last 24months, with my workaround being to push a lower connection speed and increase compatibility on my 5Ghz IIRC - when I dealt with it 12months ago - to provide more options for the router to vacate and still find adequate bandwidth.

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
Cyberpunk 2077 Has Sold Over 13 Million Copies According to CD Projekt’s Estimates

The Management Board of CD PROJEKT S.A. with a registered office in Warsaw (hereinafter referred to as “the Company”) hereby announces that, based on reports obtained from digital distribution platforms and data collected from physical distributors, it estimates that by 20 December inclusive gamers have purchased over 13 million copies of Cyberpunk 2077. This figure represents the estimated volume of retail sales across all hardware platforms (factoring in returns submitted by retail clients in brick-and-mortar as well as digital storefronts), i.e. the “sell-through” figure, less all refund requests e-mailed directly to the Company by the publication date of this report in the framework of the “Help Me Refund” campaign.

Damn! 😱 Pretty impressive figures despite all the well deserved backlash.

Lemondish

"less all refund requests e-mailed directly to the Company by the publication date of this report in the framework of the “Help Me Refund” campaign."

Wonder how many refunds will go out from other sources.

It wasn't misinformation for you adding more info - although I acknowledge that people's experience with domestic routers and better will vary around the world with high bandwidth 5GHz wifi.

Most routers that support both 2.4 and 5Ghz come preconfigured with overlapping SSID names and identical WPA2 passwords in the UK, so that if one isn't supported or in range or has vacated a DFS channel in a high 5Ghz contention area, then a device will seamlessly switch between the two different broadcasts.

Your mileage with how routers implement DFS might be completely different to mine - my friend deals with it by paying a frequency license annually, so I'm led to believe - but my £250 Mikrotik unit aggressively vacates channels under even suspected DFS interfere, and because the region has lots of 5Ghz capable routers in neighbouring houses my router kills the interface for a period - and has done this on all the firmware updates for the last 24months, with my workaround being to push a lower connection speed and increase compatibility on my 5Ghz IIRC - when I dealt with it 12months ago - to provide more options for the router to vacate and still find adequate bandwidth.
I was correcting incorrect statements in your post.

With 5Ghz at certain speeds being required to shutdown because of aircraft interference - or suspected interference

Nothing to do with speeds. At all. And nothing to do with aircraft interference ... it's interference of your router on radar signals. It's also not suspected, it's measured. Once the right radar signal is detected on the channel by the router, and it is above a threashold, the router switches channel.

the router might actually be dropping the 5GHz interface - think the backoff is maybe 30mins, unless you manually restart that interface or reboot the router
As explained DFS doesn't work that way. Maybe you are confusing it with Transmit Power Control. It doesn't back off, it changes channels. It's not my mileage of how DFS operates, it's the regulatory requirements of how it works to be certified.

Out of curiosity, what country is your friend in? This is the first time I've heard of someone being able to buy a license to operate in the unlicensed spectrum. Do they also write their own custom firmware for the router they use to ensure it constantly stays on the channel of their choosing regardless if radar is detected or not?

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

I was correcting incorrect statements in your post.

Nothing to do with speeds. At all. And nothing to do with aircraft interference ... it's interference of your router on radar signals. It's also not suspected, it's measured. Once the right radar signal is detected on the channel by the router, and it is above a threashold, the router switches channel.

As explained DFS doesn't work that way. Maybe you are confusing it with Transmit Power Control. It doesn't back off, it changes channels. It's not my mileage of how DFS operates, it's the regulatory requirements of how it works to be certified.

Out of curiosity, what country is your friend in? This is the first time I've heard of someone being able to buy a license to operate in the unlicensed spectrum. Do they also write their own custom firmware for the router they use to ensure it constantly stays on the channel of their choosing regardless if radar is detected or not?
I never said they weren't the regulations, please carefully re-read what I said originally, and subsequently comments if you think I have and by all means highlight those. My entire commenting - on this, now off-topic subject that I'll happily exhaust in DMs if you want - is more about how we as end users are dealing with the implementations - router and devices - by vendors that maybe go way beyond the regulations "work that way" so they don't break RF regulations, and still give the end user insight to why something isn't working, and the ability to make a trade-off of resilience and network performance - in high bandwidth contention areas(neighbours with 2.4+5Ghz routers and +100MBit/s broadband), near flight paths and ~10miles of a airbase with radar, as bot me and my friend live near.

My last point is regulations != implementation

I haven't a clue what you are talking about in the above post. I don't need to get into a DM discussion on the topic, as I don't think you understand it. Anyways, moving on.

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

Videogames are a bigger industry than sports and movies combined, thanks to the pandemic

Global videogame revenue is expected to surge 20% to $179.7 billion in 2020, according to IDC data, making the videogame industry a bigger moneymaker than the global movie and sports industries combined. The global film industry reached $100 billion in revenue for the first time in 2019, according to the Motion Picture Association, while PwC estimated global sports would bring in more than $75 billion in 2020.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

Videogames are a bigger industry than sports and movies combined, thanks to the pandemic

You'd think "market watch" would be better at reading financial articles.

That number for sports is for NA only lol.. probably more than double that for worldwide sports.

Nah, they've been bigger for a long time. I saw HipHopGamer post a tweet showing 2016 numbers and they're already bigger.

Anyway, NEXTGEN GAMING BABEYYY

Tschumi

Hey guys, does PlayStation Store give Boxing Day Sales? Thinking I'll hold off on a game or two in anticipation of getting better prices in a few days..?

reksveks

As someone mentioned that's only NA sport, football in the rest of the world would increase the sports amount alot as would cricket on the sub-asian continent.

In terms of games, also good to note that mobile game basically represents 40% of the industry as well.

Used-ID

While we don't have a picture of the PS5 die, please feel free to pull up a chair (or toilet) and be immersed in discussions of: last gen software weather effects, buggy games not on next gen systems, WiFi signal protocols, and website reviewers who count FPS erratically at best on software that weren't designed for next gen systems.

Closest thing to an on topic discussion in the last few days was that KFC is entering the system wars with a unique feature that the PS5 & XSX can't match - a food warmer. :-/

Sinthor

Gold Member
Hey guys, does PlayStation Store give Boxing Day Sales? Thinking I'll hold off on a game or two in anticipation of getting better prices in a few days..?
Don't know about 'boxing day' sales specifically, but they're holiday sale is going on right now. Some really deep discounts on some things. Glad to see it as I think they only started this kind of thing in the past year or two, as I recall anyway. Before that, I was always whining about why there's never a discount on digital software. :)

Neo Blaster

While we don't have a picture of the PS5 die, please feel free to pull up a chair (or toilet) and be immersed in discussions of: last gen software weather effects, buggy games not on next gen systems, WiFi signal protocols, and website reviewers who count FPS erratically at best on software that weren't designed for next gen systems.

Closest thing to an on topic discussion in the last few days was that KFC is entering the system wars with a unique feature that the PS5 & XSX can't match - a food warmer. :-/
It's the holidays, don't worry, there's a new opportunity to be disappointed in gaming news looming on the horizon(CES).

icerock

VGC’S PERSON OF THE YEAR: PHIL SPENCER

THE MICROSOFT EXEC BROUGHT TRANSPARENCY AND EXCITEMENT DURING A CHALLENGING YEAR FOR THE INDUSTRY

Yeah, great job Phil launching a new console without any new games. It's ironic because article itself is acknowledging it....

Screenshot-2020-12-24-at-13-39-47.png

Dolodolo

HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4

I know this is not the best time and merry christmas Also, you said that you will no longer share information that you have. But please. Have you heard anything about Japan Studio The fact is that lately a lot of people have left this wonderful studio. Apparently even Gavin Moore (creative director of the Demon Souls remake) And it becomes more and more scary for one of the oldest studios at Sony in general. I am not asking you to say anything specific. At least, are they doing any games other than a possible new Astrobot?

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4

I know this is not the best time and merry christmas Also, you said that you will no longer share information that you have. But please. Have you heard anything about Japan Studio The fact is that lately a lot of people have left this wonderful studio. Apparently even Gavin Moore (creative director of the Demon Souls remake) And it becomes more and more scary for one of the oldest studios at Sonya in general. I am not asking you to say anything specific. At least, are they doing any games other than a possible new Astrobot?

I really don't know about studio projects very far ahead of time and even when I do hear things who knows if it pans out.

I had heard about ARK2 before The Game Awards but was also told we were seeing new God of War demo and that I could bank on so who knows what happened there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom