• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

I think even a PS5 patched GT-Sport would look ridiculous in 2020. Everything is already dynamic, they could just up the rez and framerate to full 4k or 60fps on every element...Shadows, reflections etc at max resolution in every scenario. Of course knowing Poliphony, they would do more than that. 16xMSAA + TAA would kill all remaining jaggies clean at 4k tbh.....

But before that, hopefully PD has the weather patch ready at this year's E3. Content on this game has been steady and superb, so I hope they have weather ready to go later this year...

Just some shots with Alfa Romeo and Alpine proves that car models in GTS looks better than F7. Those materials in Alpine and Audi are awesome. Well, John Linemann wasn't wrong.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Just some shots with Alfa Romeo and Alpine proves that car models in GTS looks better than F7. Those materials in Alpine and Audi are awesome. Well, John Linemann wasn't wrong.
Interiors i agree and in the menus. But has exteriors in gameplay been discussed in this thread, especially when they are a about 15 feet in front of you, and when those wheels that change to sprites far too soon and often. Surely this counts as car models and mostly when it maters in a driving game. I think GTS is a great looking driving game but it's this that lets it down a bit.

NahaNago

That would be nice to show how powerful the PS5 is compared to the ps4 but unfortunately I can see them waiting 4 years into the ps5 life cycle and then releasing a new gt.

tuyang

Neo Member
lc500
26252888577_2215ea1789_o.jpg

26252888857_d70e25201e_o.jpg

26252889127_db5d739103_o.jpg

26252889317_885758d9a7_o.jpg

Effects, track side detail, sound, and IQ is much better with Forza. GT looks to have more dynamic shadows and better tail lights. Overall, Forza looks much better here.

It wasn't until I saw that side-by-side that I realised how much Forza's moving parts make a difference. I know the rattling wipers and wings are a bit too exaggerated, but seeing things flapping around on the car does a lot for the scene. Also FM7 is the clear winner for audio in that comparison.

Effects, track side detail, sound, and IQ is much better with Forza. GT looks to have more dynamic shadows and better tail lights. Overall, Forza looks much better here.

Trees in Forza looks like crap. Lighting is soooo flat. Oh, i see. You can't see it. From obvious reason. Car, interior, lighting, track details ( trees especially ) looks better in GTS. It's not even debatable. I'm so glad that GTS on weaker platform looks graphically better than Forza 7 on stronger platform.

Last edited:

Some are obsessed with always comparing Xbox versus PlayStation. I think both look great. I have concluded GT Sport (and GT in general) always has a sterile look and feel to it. Both Forza 7 and Project Cars 7 both add that extra immersion with things like the way light comes in the dash cam view and the dirt and debris on the inside windshield. When playing however this is where the physics of the car GT wins out over Forza. Assetto Corsa does it the best but it too feels a bit sterile. That's why overall I prefer Project Cars 2. I'd actually like to get into iRacing and not worry about the monthly subscription model because to me that's not a big deal if it runs well online. Console gamers have been paying for years just to have access to multiplayer.

thelastword

Banned
OK, let's up the standards. I like posting comparison vids and I've posted maybe two of Motogames vids, and though it gives a good enough picture of the differences, nothing shows the quality of GTS more than the best quality GTS vids you can get on youtube. No comparison here, but it pretty much nails the obvious quality of GTS over other racing titles......

That atmosphere and lighting on the nurb, perfectly replicates the desired TOD setting.

Aston Martin DB11 at Monza

Redbull X2014 at Brands Hatch

Quality vids, all gameplay, absolutely nothing comes close here relative to car models, lighting, ATD, shadows et.al.....Those cars in the mirror at brands hatch ;) My word....

Please stop repeating the same thing over and over. If you don't want to add positive discussion to the thread I suggest you just stop posting in this thread.

Don't blame me. I'm not the only one. In this thread to have a positive discussion? Seriously? Just look few pages back check some posts ( not only mine, of course ).

OK, let's up the standards. I like posting comparison vids and I've posted maybe two of Motogames vids, and though it gives a good enough picture of the differences, nothing shows the quality of GTS more than the best quality GTS vids you can get on youtube. No comparison here, but it pretty much nails the obvious quality of GTS over other racing titles......

That atmosphere and lighting on the nurb, perfectly replicates the desired TOD setting.

Quality vids, all gameplay, absolutely nothing comes close here relative to car models, lighting, ATD, shadows et.al.....Those cars in the mirror at brands hatch ;) My word....

That second video is actually quite funny. Its starts off so beautiful, then just before gameplay it rotates the camera and the sheen and gloss looks incredible as does the reflections but at the 40 second mark it all kind of goes flat. First thing you notice is the jaggies on the roof, the bland surroundings outside and not nearly as sharp looking. Seems like they have some filtering in place when you pause the game and it looks insane in replay mode. Reminds me of games like Uncharted 4. Looks good but when the game goes into a set-piece all of the sudden the graphics get spruced up.

In the first video the car is hopping around the track unrealistically, plus the games still suffer from the same bumper car physics when they collide. Where GT Sport shines is in the multiplayer which is ironic given the GT history.

It appears the two of you just want to keep the focus on promoting your favorite console so I'm no longer going to follow this topic.

Last edited:
Don't blame me. I'm not the only one. In this thread to have a positive discussion? Seriously? Just look few pages back check some posts ( not only mine, of course ).

You *are* the only one who keeps coming back to post literally the same phrase though. It didn't make sense the first time and it still doesn't.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games

Looks nice the Nurburgring, Is it not the full track, as in the race circuit as well ? ( not unlocked it yet ) Also noticed the pop in the rear view mirror is a lot less on this course.

brnt

Neo Member
Doesn't seem to be a whole lot of difference between both console games imo, both look pretty darned good imo for running on consoles that are underpowered to a top tier gaming pc running project cars2 or assetto.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games

Looks nice the Nurburgring, Is it not the full track, as in the race circuit as well ? ( not unlocked it yet ) Also noticed the pop in the rear view mirror is a lot less on this course.
Well those videos are in 1080p mode, if that was in 4k mode half them cars wouldn't be in the mirror. The rear mirror has a really short draw distance in 4k mode.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
I really like how the crowd do the Mexican wave as i approach the main grandstand on Brands Hatch on Gts, then i realize it's that they are being drawn in.
Sorry i couldn't resist. :) I'm really enjoying the game might renew my Psn for a month to have a blast online.

psn

You watched a different video I guess.

IQ - okay
Sound - well, opinions I guess

Rest - hell no.

thelastword

Banned
DC is so good isn't it......Everytime I see it...it springs one thing into mind. Evo should still be around to make a DC2. Such an amazing looking game with the best sense of speed for a 30fps racer.

Majid

Neo Member
DC is so good isn't it......Everytime I see it...it springs one thing into mind. Evo should still be around to make a DC2. Such an amazing looking game with the best sense of speed for a 30fps racer.
That's the best word to describe it! Sense of speed. Honestly no game even comes close... it's an incredible thrill to drive fast.

I would die for a DC2... perhaps even open world.

LostDonkey

Why are we going back to Drive Club?

It's already been shown in this thread that games have surpassed it and it doesn't look too hot without water dripping down the screen anyway.

thelastword

Banned
DC looks amazing in non wet weather. This was only said by people who did not play DC. Driveclub comes together in motion and there's lots you don't see on screens, so much detail and effects in motion. The lighting is one of the best in any racer and the car details and large expansive environments are next to none.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
DC is still the rain king, but other than that it got nothing against Forza Horizon 3.
39649470340_27b1efb525_o.jpg

40564741685_b5deccb074_o.jpg

40564741715_418b8ecccf_o.jpg

39649469950_c8457939e5_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Majid

Neo Member
That's a good point! DC was clearly crafted with speeding in mind, whereas Horizon looks consistently amazing. I would say, however, that Driveclub does look better, even without rain, as you are driving down a track.

This video is a good demonstration:

thelastword

Banned
That's a good point! DC was clearly crafted with speeding in mind, whereas Horizon looks consistently amazing. I would say, however, that Driveclub does look better, even without rain, as you are driving down a track.

This video is a good demonstration:

Non rain, it's not even a contest. In motion is where DC shines, anyone could cherry pick stills to show a game below it's brilliance in motion. However you take any vid of DC and put it against Horizon and it comes out on top easily, which is how we play games funny enough. There are so many details you don't see in pics; effects, lighting, reflections, materials and of course the expansive and detailed environments and that sense of speed that keeps you on the edge. No arcade racer delivers what DC does in visual acuity and in motion.

drotahorror

DC still the best looking game when playing it for sure. It's crazy that nothing compares in motion. Just look at the video posted above, it's hard to argue.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
DC still the best looking game when playing it for sure. It's crazy that nothing compares in motion. Just look at the video posted above, it's hard to argue.
Looks alright to me, doesn't blow me away. Sometimes it can look amazing and half the time it look average and quite often it can look the one of the worst. When i first bought the game i was like is this the same game iv'e been seeing all these amazing gif's and pics of.

Allandor

Looks alright to me, doesn't blow me away. Sometimes it can look amazing and half the time it look average and quite often it can look the one of the worst. When i first bought the game i was like is this the same game iv'e been seeing all these amazing gif's and pics of.
it is also a 30fps game and the controls have nothing to do with cars. It is just a fun racer like need for speed once was. But I really wish there were dome more arcade style racers on the market. But somehow this genre died.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Trees in Forza looks like crap. Lighting is soooo flat. Oh, i see. You can't see it. From obvious reason. Car, interior, lighting, track details ( trees especially ) looks better in GTS. It's not even debatable. I'm so glad that GTS on weaker platform looks graphically better than Forza 7 on stronger platform.

GTS is great looking game but those in car shadows on the dashboard are so low Rez its unreal.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Still dont get why people say gt sport looks good at all.

Sure menu's replay photo mode etc.
But that game is straight out ugly in game.
The trees looks so ugly. And many more surrounding track stuff.
I will give sports that hdr looks amazing.
Drive club looks next gen compared to that tripe.

Only racers so far that wowed me this gen is drive club and forza horizon 3 / 7 4k

Gt sport is a cool screen saver nothing more .

Top Bottom