• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

sigrad

Still dont get why people say gt sport looks good at all.

Sure menu's replay photo mode etc.
But that game is straight out ugly in game.
The trees looks so ugly. And many more surrounding track stuff.
I will give sports that hdr looks amazing.
Drive club looks next gen compared to that tripe.

Only racers so far that wowed me this gen is drive club and forza horizon 3 / 7 4k

Gt sport is a cool screen saver nothing more .
I am an Xbox diehard and even I can admit GT:S looks really good. Better than Forza 7. That fucking lighting man.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I am an Xbox diehard and even I can admit GT:S looks really good. Better than Forza 7. That fucking lighting man.
No not even close IN game.
Forza 7 4k 60fps hdr is so so much better looking 😂

Do you mean photo mode and replays?

Mattyp

Gold Member

Not in the slightest... Maybe in replays which is all that gets posted on here in the gifs. The game plays nothing like what's shown in this thread.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Here some real gameplay comparisons between Forza 7 PC VS GTS PS4 Pro i made
28283657808_9d49fbaac6_o.png

28299898258_084a509458_o.png

41435434234_cb75a67680_o.png

40365259440_6ef4ddc279_o.png

28283652868_fc1582d75f_o.png

40365260030_753a36f8e0_o.png

42156234071_c5d8e8fd81_o.png

28299900108_ac03d44a0e_o.png

42156231861_d68a84b715_o.png

42125985562_d918b4ba5f_o.png

42156229811_6fe224baf8_o.png

42125986362_b7ea9033e1_o.png

42156228291_66957c387a_o.png

28299902168_fd556ea1a1_o.png

42156224961_02d4f08c29_o.png

42125988812_febbd08f78_o.png

More to come with different cars and track combo's

psn

Not in the slightest... Maybe in replays which is all that gets posted on here in the gifs. The game plays nothing like what's shown in this thread.

The lighting is like one generation ahead. Why does everyone think that somehow downsampling from 16k makes up for bad lighting, shaders etc.

I have a very beefy PC, I can do what I want but it doesn't make forza 7 prettier, it just makes the IQ cleaner. Or PC2, that still looks like a good mod from Shift 2.

Turk1993

The lighting is like one generation ahead. Why does everyone think that somehow downsampling from 16k makes up for bad lighting, shaders etc.

I have a very beefy PC, I can do what I want but it doesn't make forza 7 prettier, it just makes the IQ cleaner. Or PC2, that still looks like a good mod from Shift 2.
Maybe the lighting and some shaders looks better but shadows, textures, texture filtering, draw distance, car models, reflections, weather and track details looks much better in Forza. So its not just image quality.

Mattyp

Gold Member

The lighting in GTS is one aspect, I own both and like Turk pointed out the 4K crisp of Forza 7 puts Sport to shame. I guess a fair comparison would be sport running true 4K but since the hardware is incapable this is where we are and right now Forza 7 4K looks better.

thelastword

Banned
ps4 pro 4K
Amazing looking game above, nice pics.....On the flip, pretty much all the Forza pics a few posts prior look really dark or severely overcast. It's like Forza 7 can't do proper daylight lighting (is there a sun out there somewhere?)....In general, the lighting in Forza is just way behind the competition, the composition of most of these Forza pics looks so bland in comparison due to lighting, so no favors were done to Forza there. Couple that with worse PBR, less ATD, worse foliage, worse crowds, absent pitcrews, severely worse DD, pretty much all the tech in F7 are a few notches below "the way it's rendered in GTS", so you can see why Forza 7 runs at 1080p 60fps on S or 4k on X. Which brings me to IQ, Forza still has issues with thin lines and fences, MSAA does not clean that, rendering at a higher resolution, 16x AF, and SS'ing this game does not fix bad lighting, 2D crowds and 2D foliage galore, weaker PBR and car details, weaker trackside detail and draw distance. On the consoles, in motion, higher resolution does not fix 30fps mirrors and weaker tech on reflections and shadows. It's like rendering Pong at 4k and saying it's the best looking game, it does not work that way, the tech is weaker, if anything, at the higher resolution the technical weaknesses/compromises of F7 are just amplified and appear more glaring under scrutiny.

Three

Maybe the lighting and some shaders looks better but shadows, textures, texture filtering, draw distance, car models, reflections, weather and track details looks much better in Forza. So its not just image quality.
No, no and no. How many times do we need to do this?

Three

You think that GTS has better shadows, textures and in game car models ?
In game car models yes and even better textures. More polys or higher resolution does not a good model/texture make. I'm not the only one saying this either DF says it too and goes as far as to say even trackside detail is better in GT.

Last edited:

Turk1993

In game car models yes and even better textures. More polys or higher resolution does not a good model/texture make. I'm not the only one saying this either DF says it too and goes as far as to say even trackside detail is better in GT.
I have proven dozens of time that Forza's car model is better.
41271735455_e7442b3bca_o.png

40349089530_0dec748b43_o.jpg

Shadow and textures are not even close. GTS has the lowest quality shadows in any current racing game and you say its better than Forza.
40416549350_279269674d_o.png

41502200664_7f979288cc_o.png

40349096600_a8b4d38158_o.jpg

42156259691_082a61fd6f_o.jpg

I wil do a comparison later, there you will see the difference in textures, shadows and car model.

Three

I have proven dozens of time that Forza's car model is better.

Shadow and textures are not even close. GTS has the lowest quality shadows in any current racing game and you say its better than Forza.

I wil do a comparison later, there you will see the difference in textures, shadows and car model.
That's alright but thank you for the offer. I have both games and I can see myself. I don't need cherry picked images from either game. I just completely disagree with you and I'm sure you disagree with me. To me Forza has never been good at car models or car textures. They never get the fine details right. They think plastic is plastic, leather is leather and they model their cars with generic materials. They tend to splat some grit texture layer on their trackside materials too thinking that's what makes a texture 'detailed'
Take a look at DF's take on their models and materials too if you like.

Turk1993

That's alright but thank you for the offer. I have both games and I can see myself. I don't need cherry picked images from either game. I just completely disagree with you and I'm sure you disagree with me. To me Forza has never been good at car models or car textures. They never get the fine details right. They think plastic is plastic, leather is leather and they model their cars with generic materials. They tend to splat some grit texture layer on their trackside materials too thinking that's what makes a texture 'detailed'
Take a look at DF's take on their models and materials too if you like.

Thats photomode, in gameplay GTS uses lower quality car model. They where wrong with GTS using the same model as photomode, i have proven that. I own both games to, and play them in the best way posible(GTS on Pro and Forza on pc. But like i said outside the lighting and some shaders looks better in GTS but outside that its all Forza.

Three

And I disagree. The materials and models do not become better in game in Forza than they do in their photomode they can only get worse. The issue isn't that they are not high resolution enough because even low resolution they would look good if they weren't generic textures. Like I said I have the games too and I can see. The difference in game is not that different, to the point were even DF says they are they same. The issue is the actual materials/models they use not in the resolution of those textures or LoD. Their modeling work is just not as good.

Hage Kamo

And I disagree. The materials and models do not become better in game in Forza than they do in their photomode they can only get worse. The issue isn't that they are not high resolution enough because even low resolution they would look good if they weren't generic textures. Like I said I have the games too and I can see. The difference in game is not that different, to the point were even DF says they are they same. The issue is the actual materials/models they use not in the resolution of those textures or LoD. Their modeling work is just not as good.
For GTS recording less than 200 models, FM 7 includes 700 models. It is wonderful to make it with that quality in two years. GTS is taking time for fewer cars, so it is natural for quality to rise. Have you forgot that 80% of GT 5 and GT 6 that were recorded over 1000 models were ugly previous generation standard cars?

sigrad

No not even close IN game.
Forza 7 4k 60fps hdr is so so much better looking 😂

Do you mean photo mode and replays?
Actually I retract my statement. Some tracks look better on GT and some look better on Forza. Depends on how the track is lit. It really depends on the track. GT does look more realistic though. But I still prefer Forza. Easy.

Last edited:

daibaron

Banned
Both forza and gts cut many corners graphically. Slightly different ways of doing a racing game but thats about it. With the xone as base model forza will not achive a clear graphical victory over gt. Let the xone die, that way ps5 and xtwo can wait until 2020/1.

Three

check the draw distance on ps4 compared to Forza. ps4 aint great in that department but still an amazing looking game

Seems some people are misunderstanding what I'm saying here. I'm not here to debate the fact that there is a greater draw distance or high res or the fact that PD took more time to develop GT sport or anything like that. I'm here saying no Forza does not beat GTS in car models and textures. Perhaps an image will better explain what I mean. For example look at the front of the McLaren 650S
HmECwUK.png

Real car:
HmEGljH.png

Notice how bad the Forza model texture is? The top of the grill is just completely wrong and going all over the place because they have slapped a generic texture on it and said 'f*** it that's good enough'. look at the bottom where the texture meets the spoiler too. They are like this with their shaders too. High res Fresnel but no actual effort put into modeling details of the materials

So while I completely understand that a game might get things afforded to it by Ultra PC settings etc no amount of horse power will fix the disparity in detail between the games. No amount of 4K Ultra PC settings will fix that grill.
A crap 4k 10mb texture is still a crap texture. Using a bad high LoD car model is still a bad car model. What I said was high res/high poly does not a good model/texture make. They are still sloppy.

Last edited:

Caddle

What the hell is going on here? Both games look good yes, but when displayed on a 4k TV with hdr, Forza takes the crown. Next time turn 10 can model less car and track and go all out.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Seems some people are misunderstanding what I'm saying here. I'm not here to debate the fact that there is a greater draw distance or high res or the fact that PD took more time to develop GT sport or anything like that. I'm here saying no Forza does not beat GTS in car models and textures. Perhaps an image will better explain what I mean. For example look at the front of the McLaren 650S
HmECwUK.png

Real car:
HmEGljH.png

Notice how bad the Forza model texture is? The top of the grill is just completely wrong and going all over the place because they have slapped a generic texture on it and said 'f*** it that's good enough'. look at the bottom where the texture meets the spoiler too. They are like this with their shaders too. High res Fresnel but no actual effort put into modeling details of the materials

So while I completely understand that a game might get things afforded to it by Ultra PC settings etc no amount of horse power will fix the disparity in detail between the games. No amount of 4K Ultra PC settings will fix that grill.
A crap 4k 10mb texture is still a crap texture. Using a bad high LoD car model is still a bad car model. What I said was high res/high poly does not a good model/texture make. They are still sloppy.

at the end of the day both games are great games and out do each other in different areas. I compliment how good GTS looks all the time and I own an xbox

LostDonkey

HmECwUK.png

Real car:
HmEGljH.png

We could also say PD are very sloppy in the way the reflections in the paint are so blocky and don't even reflect other cars where as Forza reflections are a generation ahead. How the track and car load pop in is so aggressive its like playing a flickbook on some tracks. I swear the GT fan boys on this site love to point out what it does great but will never see what Forza is doing much much better all around it.

Turk1993

HmECwUK.png

Real car:
HmEGljH.png

First you are still using photomode, where GTS uses higher quality car model. Second you completely ignore my gameplay shot where Forza looks better. Third because of little stretched vender texture you say that car models look better in GTS ok. Just for you i will use photomode to help GTS

La Ferrari
27457094707_022f4a4ae9_o.png

42279001602_8da88de763_o.png

40520071490_f0be2104e2_o.png

Look at other textures and see how Forza destroys GTS
42279005072_02ac84dab0_o.png

41604229034_8f386e116b_o.png

42279003852_48630934ba_o.png

41424921275_197078017a_o.png

42279002922_42467dc81b_o.png

41604228424_a42899bf17_o.png

42278997362_3ef2758e66_o.png

42279071662_990cbae819_o.png

Naglafar

Can anyone post Xbox One X vs PC Forza 7? I have a PC with a Ryzen 2600 and a 1060 6GB and a XoX and I am wondering which will be better to play F7 on.

Turk1993

Can anyone post Xbox One X vs PC Forza 7? I have a PC with a Ryzen 2600 and a 1060 6GB and a XoX and I am wondering which will be better to play F7 on.
Buy digital play on both. Forza on pc is really good optimised and runs well. What is your monitor rez btw?

Turk1993

1080p 60Hz. TV is Samsung 4K from late 2016.
Buy it on pc then you will get both version anyway,its a play anywhere game. Your pc will run it same or even little better than your Xbox. Sinds your tv doesn't support full HDR you will not see a difference between 2 versions.

Three

at the end of the day both games are great games and out do each other in different areas. I compliment how good GTS looks all the time and I own an xbox
Yeah they both look great and have their own strengths.
We could also say PD are very sloppy in the way the reflections in the paint are so blocky and don't even reflect other cars where as Forza reflections are a generation ahead. How the track and car load pop in is so aggressive its like playing a flickbook on some tracks. I swear the GT fan boys on this site love to point out what it does great but will never see what Forza is doing much much better all around it.
And where did I say Forza doesn't do things better in other areas? It's actually someone saying the exact oppisite here. It's someone who was saying 'it's all forza' except that didn't trigger you did it. Me pointing out GTS' strength is in its car models did. I just agreed with DF. It's just a few people here who couldn't even take somebody saying lighting looks better in GT and suggesting Forza destroys GT in everything else and providing a list which I didn't agree with.

Last edited:

Three

First you are still using photomode, where GTS uses higher quality car model. Second you completely ignore my gameplay shot where Forza looks better. Third because of little stretched vender texture you say that car models look better in GTS ok. Just for you i will use photomode to help GTS

😂that's not a photomode shot I'm showing. that's clearly an LOD issue your showing. why don't you try actually taking a photo so that you know you actually take photomode shots in GT Sport like you have done in Forza here. You should get a little GT watermark like you do the top right Forza watermark and the controls should disappear from the picture. Have fun. Like I said I don't need your doctored shots to prove anything to me I can see the games for myself and I simply cannot agree with you about the car models and car model textures.

Last edited:

Turk1993

😂that's not a photomode shot I'm showing. that's clearly an LOD issue your showing. why don't you try actually taking a photo so that you know you actually take photomode shots in GT Sport like you have done in Forza here. You should get a little GT watermark like you do the top right Forza watermark and the controls should disappear from the picture. Have fun. Like I said I don't need your doctored shots to prove anything to me I can see the games for myself and I simply cannot agree with you about the car models and car model textures.
Hahah just like i tought another blind fanboy. I proved all my points, but you on the other hand didn't. You really need a check up for your eyes. The image you posted is clearly from photomode where DF compared the 2. You say that my shots are doctored and that its a lod issue lol, prove it. Also in Forza even if you hide the control menu the watermark stays. It clearly shows that you didn't play Forza at all.
27464058087_949d787287_o.png

27464058857_e34b3c5b52_o.png

40526970490_64e06deccd_o.png

40526973420_6460d89966_o.png

27464059277_d5c4d8e3d0_o.png

42279006872_b45cf0dc10_o.png

Also why should i render the image in GTS, you kept saying that GTS uses the highest quality car model in gameplay so does it become worse in photomode. Even after the render the textures are still the same. You guys just can't accept the truth.

Three

Hahah just like i tought another blind fanboy. I proved all my points, but you on the other hand didn't. You really need a check up for your eyes. The image you posted is clearly from photomode where DF compared the 2. You say that my shots are doctored and that its a lod issue lol, prove it. Also in Forza even if you hide the control menu the watermark stays. It clearly shows that you didn't play Forza at all.
27464058087_949d787287_o.png

27464058857_e34b3c5b52_o.png

40526970490_64e06deccd_o.png

40526973420_6460d89966_o.png

27464059277_d5c4d8e3d0_o.png

42279006872_b45cf0dc10_o.png

Also why should i render the image in GTS, you kept saying that GTS uses the highest quality car model in gameplay so does it become worse in photomode. Even after the render the textures are still the same. You guys just can't accept the truth.

My image isn't even from Digital foundry so you're wrong about that DF had their own set of comparisons and they pointed out the same thing as me on different cars. also why should you render the image from GTS? Because you tried to play it off as "photomode" when it's not? Why don't you just render it is it hard? Is it also hard to zoom in? I'v said it before I'm not here to get into a p*ssing contest with people who use the words 'blind fanboys' because usually that's what they are. I said the texture and model work is not a strength in forza and that's all and your trying to cherry pick and decieve to show otherwise. Accepting the truth is not something I'm struggling with it's you. That's cool though because as I said before it's fine if you disagree I'm not going to continue trying to convince you otherwise because it's clear what you're after.

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
Just replayed DRIVECLUB for the first time after 2 years. I actually shred a tear.

Turk1993

My image isn't even from Digital foundry so you're wrong about that DF had their own set of comparisons and they pointed out the same thing as me on different cars. also why should you render the image from GTS? Because you tried to play it off as "photomode" when it's not? Why don't you just render it is it hard? Is it also hard to zoom in? I'v said it before I'm not here to get into a p*ssing contest with people who use the words 'blind fanboys' because usually that's what they are. I said the texture and model work is not a strength in forza and that's all and your trying to cherry pick and decieve to show otherwise. Accepting the truth is not something I'm struggling with it's you. That's cool though because as I said before it's fine if you disagree I'm not going to continue trying to convince you otherwise because it's clear what you're after.
I show proof, you on the other hand call my shots doctored and cherry picked. Also funny that when i compare gameplay shots you come with photomode shots to show how better the car models look in GTS when it uses higher quality model in that mode. Special for you zoomed in and rendered fresh out the PS4 Pro
40528558640_cdfe595427_o.png

42335468911_72d21a60b5_o.png

42287782782_8d03ecbf00_o.png

40528559300_e77a66fd41_o.png

42287783462_86c87f0ae0_o.png

40528560050_d127561ac0_o.png

LostDonkey

Yeah they both look great and have their own strengths.

And where did I say Forza doesn't do things better in other areas? It's actually someone saying the exact oppisite here. It's someone who was saying 'it's all forza' except that didn't trigger you did it. Me pointing out GTS' strength is in its car models did. I just agreed with DF. It's just a few people here who couldn't even take somebody saying lighting looks better in GT and suggesting Forza destroys GT in everything else and providing a list which I didn't agree with.

Triggered? Lol no. I've always been complimentary of GTs lighting and modelling but I realise that it's only possible due to the heavily pared back effects such as reflections, textures, asset streaming/lod swapping, lack of weather effects, poor quality pixelated shadows and filtering etc. I also don't agree that the models in GT are universally better than Forza. SOME are. I think Forza is more consistent across a wider variety of cars.

There's a lot of blind whoopeeing over GT on here because it does a couple of things better when in reality it's Forza that does the majority of things better than it. That may be due to limits of hardware it may be due to talent. But that's not what we're discussing.

This is me personally experiencing the PS4 Pro version of GT and the PC version of Forza as they are what I own and play.

It's apparent that as soon as Forza is praised for anything it does better than the competition we get the same characters appearing like a GT cheerleading squad.

There's a lot of blind whoopeeing over GT on here because it does a couple of things better when in reality it's Forza that does the majority of things better than it. That may be due to limits of hardware it may be due to talent. But that's not what we're discussing.

This is me personally experiencing the PS4 Pro version of GT and the PC version of Forza as they are what I own and play.

It's apparent that as soon as Forza is praised for anything it does better than the competition we get the same characters appearing like a GT cheerleading squad.

According to DF, GTS looks better ( and IMO of course ) and DF mentioned more positive things for GTS than for Forza.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
Man doesn't this thread go around in circles sometimes, Don't worry Forza 8 will be out soon with 1,000 cars, put Sport to absolute shame and we can all venture back in another 10 years for this argument again when we get GT7.

Top Bottom