• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Gingen

Banned
2000€/$ PC
27625998137_e667c0e997_o.png

350€/$ PS4 PRO
granturismosport_2018pgong.png

2000€/$ PC
41774353944_a95eb9c6d3_o.png

350€/$ PS4 PRO
granturismosport_2018k7rd7.png

PS a small analysis
0qqaw5hatpjv.jpg

it's clear that these two users are two trolls with the only purpose of denigrating GTS

petrus91

it's clear that these two users are two trolls with the only purpose of denigrating GTS
You’re all cherry picking both games.
Both of them cut corners in different ways, both reach great levels of graphic fidelity.
I hope you’re having fun ruining this thread.

LostDonkey

You too. I have a problem, but Blue Nissan GT-R clearly looks better in GTS? Of course Turk will like your post.

If you're talking about the pics that Turk posted then I don't know.

The Forza model of the Skyline looks clearly superior to my eyes. Better detail all round.

No front radiator or rear heated window on GTS for a start.

Gingen

Banned

The Forza model of the Skyline looks clearly superior to my eyes. Better detail all round.

This is the GTS model of that skyline, are you sure that the FM7 model is superior?

Z6QyyE.jpg

06SzrS.jpg

Blue Nissan is CLEARLY better looking in GTS. Especially the front headlights and fog lights. As DF also said that GTS better car models against Forza 7 on much stronger PC configuration. Yes, DF is blind as shit too.

ZzackK

Neo Member
2000€/$ PC
27625998137_e667c0e997_o.png

350€/$ PS4 PRO
granturismosport_2018pgong.png

2000€/$ PC
41774353944_a95eb9c6d3_o.png

350€/$ PS4 PRO
granturismosport_2018k7rd7.png

PS a small analysis
0qqaw5hatpjv.jpg

In first step FM7 is made for X1 and PC/X1X only got better resolution, textures.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
HAHAHA o boy trolls callin me a troll fasntastic lol. Shows 2 1080p image with dusk setting where the interior still looks shit and low poly and then he post a scape photo to prove that the car model is better. Plays only GTS thinks its the best looking thing ever. Here take a look all in your faux 4K mode
41600897715_38173c024c_o.png

28630968188_cedfc3f665_o.png

I mean if you don't see the difference...
now look at this
27632782017_c9d7fe811d_o.png

This is how the interior looks like
28630751588_abbed4cc36_o.png

I mean you guys probably still don't see the difference in car model, for you guys the interior probably the same as the 3d person views interior lol.

Last edited:

Foxbat

Banned
I'll be honest. There are compelling arguments to be made either way for which game looks better. The fact that Forza has so much more content makes this an easy win for Forza though.

BigLee74

GTS boys being deliberately obtuse here. Turk is CLEARLY showing that the in game car models are superior in Forza. They are, you can see it with your own eyes, so accept it and move on. There is some obvious faceting going on in GTS that you don't see in Forza. Having said that, the top LOD car models in GTS are generally great, with superior interiors over Forza. And GTS has phenomenal lighting. But at the end of the day, we don't play photomodes. Oh, and scapes, what the hell is that all about? Talk about false advertisement! Look how great our game looks (not really guys, you can't play it, it's just a car model in a photo).

GTS boys being deliberately obtuse here. Turk is CLEARLY showing that the in game car models are superior in Forza. They are, you can see it with your own eyes, so accept it and move on. There is some obvious faceting going on in GTS that you don't see in Forza. Having said that, the top LOD car models in GTS are generally great, with superior interiors over Forza. And GTS has phenomenal lighting. But at the end of the day, we don't play photomodes. Oh, and scapes, what the hell is that all about? Talk about false advertisement! Look how great our game looks (not really guys, you can't play it, it's just a car model in a photo).

LOL! I see blue Nissan is clearly superior in GTS. Yeah, so DF are deliberately obtuse here too.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
The thing with screenshots anyone can pick good and bad pictures to suit their preferred console (not saying everyone does) Most people seem to focus on things you can't really see when driving. Now what surprised me about GTS is how bad the lod pop in is on the vehicles, it comparable to Rad Racer on the NES. Hard to see on Youtube but it shocked me when i first played it. How anyone can't see that or the terrible draw distance but spots some cameraman in the grandstand is more detailed etc is mind boggling to me.

BigLee74

LOL! I see blue Nissan is clearly superior in GTS. Yeah, so DF are deliberately obtuse here too.

Who mentioned DF? Oh you did, constantly. I remember watching that DF video. They concluded both games achieved their great results via different means, and none right or wrong or onbectively better than the other (e. g. Low res dynamic shadows on one, prebaked but crystal sharp on the other). They certainly did not say GTS wiped the floor over Forza like a certain few on here seem to think. Still, deluded fan boys eh? This is my fave thread of all time. It's like a one stop comedy show from yourself and TLW. Still convinced you are the same person, or at least from the same mental home...

Hage Kamo

$499

HAHAHA o boy trolls callin me a troll fasntastic lol. Shows 2 1080p image with dusk setting where the interior still looks shit and low poly and then he post a scape photo to prove that the car model is better. Plays only GTS thinks its the best looking thing ever. Here take a look all in your faux 4K mode
41600897715_38173c024c_o.png

28630968188_cedfc3f665_o.png

I mean if you don't see the difference...
now look at this
27632782017_c9d7fe811d_o.png

This is how the interior looks like
28630751588_abbed4cc36_o.png

I mean you guys probably still don't see the difference in car model, for you guys the interior probably the same as the 3d person views interior lol.
OMG!It takes a mosaic to Supra's interior.

Gingen

Banned

Turk deliberaletly search every single cars of the game with little graphic glitch of the LOD and post only screenshot of those cars.... this is called cherry picking

moreover, is clear that on a pc at ultra high setting with tons of ram and GPU power the game can use the full detail garage models even ingame, why don't they post FM7 images from standard xbox one? simple... because the lod of the cars ingame on xbox one standard is much worse than GTS on a standard PS4 (that is the source of their GTS screenshots)

LostDonkey

Turk deliberaletly search every single cars of the game with little graphic glitch of the LOD and post only screenshot of those cars.... this is called cherry picking

moreover, is clear that on a pc at ultra high setting with tons of ram and GPU power the game can use the full detail garage models even ingame, why don't they post FM7 images from standard xbox one? simple... because the lod of the cars ingame on xbox one standard is much worse than GTS on a standard PS4 (that is the source of their GTS screenshots)

Because this is the Next Gen Graphics thread.

Not the post the least powerful platform thread.

Powerful PC's are included in these comparisons. If you can't handle that then that's your own problem.

BigLee74

Erm, thanks for trying to educate me on what cherry picking means? Glad I have you around to see me right... 😉

Hage Kamo

Because this is the Next Gen Graphics thread.

Not the post the least powerful platform thread.

Powerful PC's are included in these comparisons. If you can't handle that then that's your own problem.

There is a GT fan boy which does not try to admit even if it says graphics of XBOX ONE X version
rHrtl3S.jpg
SirY1o7.jpg

So...the paint resolution of GTS is terribly low.
The divergence from Scapes makes me want to cover my eyes

Bogroll

Likes moldy games

Xbox X is the same settings as PC at ultra bar 30fps reflections on exterior windows and obviously you can't see that in screenshots.

Three

Who mentioned DF? Oh you did, constantly. I remember watching that DF video. They concluded both games achieved their great results via different means, and none right or wrong or onbectively better than the other (e. g. Low res dynamic shadows on one, prebaked but crystal sharp on the other). They certainly did not say GTS wiped the floor over Forza like a certain few on here seem to think. Still, deluded fan boys eh? This is my fave thread of all time. It's like a one stop comedy show from yourself and TLW. Still convinced you are the same person, or at least from the same mental home...

It was me who mentioned DF a few pages back and Turk (and now lostDonkey) just said DF are wrong. The issue was that DF said the models and materials work is better in GTS. This resulted in Turk just posting screenshots made to look bad for one game using the low res settings which favour framerate so they look bad in screenshots, calling regular models 'photomode' and just generally posting unflattering images on purpose designed to make one game look bad while saying how great another is by even posting false information. That ForzaVista shot he posted for anybody who doesn't have the game, not all cars are like that contrary to what he says. You can't see the engine of some cars certainly not like the image he posted of the most impressive explode mode in the game. All he has done is post some unflattering images and said 'superior', 'shits on' without going into detail about the strengths and weaknesses of either game at all. I post a DF video showing exactly where the strengths and weaknesses of each are. He calls it wrong. I post an image of the modeling work in Forza to show what I mean exactly by my comment and he calls it "a single vender texture" oh it's a vender texture I didn't know, "leave turn 10 alone", right?

Here's the thing a lot of shots that he is posting only enforce what DF says because DF at least have a nuanced argument rather than just saying "Forza is superior in every way, here's a screenshot with no explanation of anything" like Turk has done repeatedly. Forza has the advantage in resolution, texture resolution poly count/less aggressive LoD, it always will too considering the PC and the fact that he is using framerate mode on GTS. Absolutely nobody has denied that. It's the fact that turk can't accept the DF analysis about the actual modeling and materials work that I've not engaged arguing trying to make him or a select other few here see it since he is just on a crusade to make GTS look like crap but if he really wanted to he can even see the differences I and DF pointed out in his own ingame images:

Forza 7
Ho3zFg3o.png

GTS
Ho3Af4U.png

Forza clearly has the higher poly model as is visible by the section around the lights. It also has less aggressive LOD as is visible by the larger image showing the interior. GTS clearly has the better materials/textures. Look at the lights near the registration plate. I'm sure forzas texture is high res but it's not a very good material texture is it? Is that on low settings? Look at the actual paint material on Forza. Notice how it doesn't look like the real GTR R34 paint at all? Because Forza links Fresnel, reflection glossiness and specular highlights whereas GT models those more realistically.

Forza 7
Ho3ASR4.png

GTS
Ho3Etxv.png

In addition to the paint notice the difference in occlusion shadows? The lack of occlusion shadows in Forza make it look like it's a CAD drawing as DF mentioned. Bits that should be dark are not dark.

but Turk I'll let you go back to the fun of posting images without explanation and saying Forza destroys the competition or whatever you were saying here earlier.

Last edited:

Turk1993

It was me who mentioned DF a few pages back and Turk (and now lostDonkey) just said DF are wrong. The issue was that DF said the models and materials work is better in GTS. This resulted in Turk just posting screenshots made to look bad for one game using the low res settings which favour framerate so they look bad in screenshots, calling regular models 'photomode' and just generally posting unflattering images on purpose designed to make one game look bad while saying how great another is by even posting false information. That ForzaVista shot he posted for anybody who doesn't have the game, not all cars are like that contrary to what he says. You can't see the engine of some cars certainly not like the image he posted of the most impressive explode mode in the game. All he has done is post some unflattering images and said 'superior', 'shits on' without going into detail about the strengths and weaknesses of either game at all. I post a DF video showing exactly where the strengths and weaknesses of each are. He calls it wrong. I post an image of the modeling work in Forza to show what I mean exactly by my comment and he calls it "a single vender texture" oh it's a vender texture I didn't know, "leave turn 10 alone", right?

Here's the thing a lot of shots that he is posting only enforce what DF says because DF at least have a nuanced argument rather than just saying "Forza is superior in every way, here's a screenshot with no explanation of anything" like Turk has done repeatedly. Forza has the advantage in resolution, texture resolution poly count/less aggressive LoD, it always will too considering the PC and the fact that he is using framerate mode on GTS. Absolutely nobody has denied that. It's that fact that turk can't accept the DF analysis about the actual modeling and materials work that I've not engaged arguing trying make him or a select other few here see it since he is jus on a crusade to make GTS look like crap but if he really wanted to he can even see the differences I and DF pointed out in his own ingame images:

Forza 7
Ho3zFg3o.png

GTS
Ho3Af4U.png

Forza clearly has the higher poly model as is visible by the section around the lights. It also has less aggressive LOD as is visible by the larger image showing the interior. GTS clearly has the better materials/textures. Look at the lights near the registration plate. I'm sure forzas texture is high res but it's not a very good material texture is it? Is that on low settings? Look at the actual paint material on Forza. Notice how it doesn't look like the real GTR R34 paint at all? Because Forza links Fresnel, reflection glossiness and specular highlights whereas GT models those more realistically.

Forza 7
Ho3ASR4.png

GTS
Ho3Etxv.png

In addition to the paint notice the difference in occlusion shadows? The lack of occlusion shadows in Forza make it look like it's a CAD drawing as DF mentioned. Bits that should be dark are not dark.

but Turk I'll lets go back to the fun of posting images without explanation and saying Forza destroys the competition or whatever you were saying here earlier.
Mate go watch the DF video 2.52 min. They clearly say car model is identical in Photomode as in gameplay. I proven that its not true. They where comparing the photomode car of that mazda. You say that Forzavista doesn't represent all the cars in Forza wich is true but there are 750+ cars in Forza, 700+ has that full autovista and the other are still higly detailed with full cockpit and doors etc working just not the full engine. In GTS there are still cars with no cockpit and that game has like 150 real cars and 40+ vusion GT cars so go figure that out. And for the paint and materials, it al got to do with lighting wich i told clearly that GTS has the superior lighting with some excellent shaders. The lighting helps the shaders to make it look better. If you go 1 page back you could see a comparison of the Veneno where there Forza has the better material work. Shaders are some times better in GTS some times better in Forza, but in game car model is 100% better in Forza and thats a fact. And you keep saying that only thing i have done was posting unflattering image image and said superior without going in the details. There where people saying that GTS had the better car model, Shadows and textures and i proved them wrong. It was a direct anwser with proof to the people that where wrong about those thing. And i have never said that Forza does everything better. I have clearly said that GTS has the better lighting and some better shaders while Forza does the other thing better wich is true and proven.

Turk1993

Well GTS must be a really glitchy game sinds all the cars got different lod in game. Also why are you still crying that im playing on a powerfull pc. Do you want me to compare PS4 Pro with the regular Xbox One? Will that be more fair for you.

Three

And for the paint and materials, it al got to do with lighting wich i told clearly that GTS has the superior lighting with some excellent shaders. The lighting helps the shaders to make it look better. If you go 1 page back you could see a comparison of the Veneno where there Forza has the better material work. Shaders are some times better in GTS some times better in Forza, but in game car model is 100% better in Forza and thats a fact. There where people saying that GTS had the better car model, Shadows and textures and i proved them wrong.

This is such a weak copout for trying to say you were right all along. Define 'lighting'. This just shows me you don't know how a game works or anything about game development. That's fine you think material work can be categorized as "better lighting" sure then everything visual can be categorized as better lighting including shadows that you say are better in Forza. So GTS has better shadows because it has "better lighting" and occlusion shadows, correct? There were people saying "yes Forza has higher res textures but their modeling work including materials work is not good in comparison". That person was me btw, I specifically said high resolution/polycount does not make a good model/texture as is clearly evident by the in game shots that I and even you provided but clearly you don't see it because, well, it's a fact to you already, which was why I didn't engage with you. I knew it would be this pointless back and forth with very little input about the intricacies from your side.

Turk1993

This is such a weak copout for trying to say you were right all along. Define 'lighting'. This just shows me you don't know how a game works or anything about game development. That's fine you think material work can be categorized as "better lighting" sure then everything visual can be categorized as better lighting including shadows that you say are better in Forza. So GTS has better shadows because it has "better lighting" and occlusion shadows, correct? There were people saying "yes Forza has higher res textures but their modeling work including materials work is not good in comparison". That person was me btw, I specifically said high resolution/polycount does not make a good model/texture as is clearly evident by the in game shots that I and even you provided but clearly you don't see it because, well, it's a fact to you already, which was why I didn't engage with you. I knew it would be this pointless back and forth with very little input about the intricacies from your side.
Lol what copout i haven proven you wrong showed everything with evidence you just talk talk and talk. You said that car models where better in GTS i proved you wrong. you said that GTS had better shadows i proved you again wrong. You said that GTS had better textures and once again i proved you wrong. So tell me how its a copout when i told in the first place that GTS had the better lighting model and some better shaders. You on the other hand can't admit that Forza does this things better. All you do is just talking and callin my shots cherry picked and doctored without any proof. Also if you don't know the difference between lighting and shadows thats your problem. When i talk about lighting i talk about the ligh that lights the scene. GTS lighting is more natural and realistic looking most of the time. And if you put shadows in lighting category then i wil give lighting to Forza too lol because shadows are the worst part in GTS.

Yes, i did mentioned DF. A problem with that?
If i'm a fanboy, what are you then? Oh yes, when you have nothing to say in the end, then you make "mental" shit. Nice.

Lol what copout i haven proven you wrong showed everything with evidence you just talk talk and talk. You said that car models where better in GTS i proved you wrong. you said that GTS had better shadows i proved you again wrong. You said that GTS had better textures and once again i proved you wrong. So tell me how its a copout when i told in the first place that GTS had the better lighting model and some better shaders. You on the other hand can't admit that Forza does this things better. All you do is just talking and callin my shots cherry picked and doctored without any proof. Also if you don't know the difference between lighting and shadows thats your problem. When i talk about lighting i talk about the ligh that lights the scene. GTS lighting is more natural and realistic looking most of the time. And if you put shadows in lighting category then i wil give lighting to Forza too lol because shadows are the worst part in GTS.

Did you proved that Digital Foundry is wrong? No, you didn't! Maybe till Forza 8 or beyond.

Last edited:

Turk1993

Yes, i did mentioned DF. A problem with that?
If i'm a fanboy, what are you then? Oh yes, when you have nothing to say in the end, then you make "mental" shit. Nice.

Did you proved that Digital Foundry is wrong? No, you didn't! Till Forza 8 or beyond.
Yes i proved them wrong. till 2030 till the next GT comes ;).

Three

'Lighting and shadows' are about as different as 'lighting and textures/materials/shaders' which was my point about you defining 'lighting' but that's cool if it went over your head. you seem to think discussion isn't what a forum is for so what am I even doing here. Only you speak that 'proof' and 'fact' and post continously. Bye mate.

Did the truth hurt you ?

Truth that you proved what i said before ( and also DF in their comparison ), cars in GTS looks better. Overall GTS looks better. Until you prove publicly that DF lied ( OBVIOUSLY THEY DIDN'T ) in their comparison video, your pathetic attempts were dud.

Last edited:

Turk1993

'Lighting and shadows' are about as different as 'lighting and textures/materials/shaders' which was my point about you defining 'lighting' but that's cool if it went over your head. you seem to think discussion isn't what a forum is for so what am I even doing here. Only you speak that 'proof' and 'fact' and post continously. Bye mate.
Bye mate.

Truth that you proved what i said before ( and also DF in their comparison ), cars in GTS looks better. Overall GTS looks better. Until you prove publicly that DF lied ( OBVIOUSLY THEY DIDN'T ) in their comparison video, your pathetic attempts were dud.
The only thing pathetic is your hate for Forza. After all the image showen, you still believe that GTS has the better in game car model. But anyway keep repeating the same thing like a parrot will im gonna play both games and enjoy them.

BigLee74

If i'm a fanboy, what are you then?

What am I? The opposite of you I hope. Both games look great, and have pros and cons over the other. Unlike you I can see that, instead of constantly and childishly hating the game that plays on the other piece of plastic from the one that sits under my TV. Night night!

Hage Kamo

Modeling of GTS is a result of sacrificing all degrees of freedom, such as exchanging aero parts. Thanks to the sacrifice of removing the rain and weather change from day 6 light from GT 6.

Source:https://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/interview/758519.html
――天候変化やダメージ表現は今回実装されるますか?
> 天候変化については、レーススタート前に天候を選べるというオプションは用意しようと思っていますが、
> レース中に雨が降ってくるということは今回やらないと思います。そこは自由度をあげるとクオリティが下がる、
> クオリティを上げれば自由度が下がるというトレードオフの関係になるので、どこを自分たちが望むバランスに整えるかという話。
- Are weather changes and damage expressions implemented this time?
> As for the weather change, although I am planning to prepare an option to choose the weather before the start of the race,
> I do not think that it will rain this race during the race. There is a decrease in the quality if you increase the degree of freedom,
> Since it is a trade - off relationship of lowering the degree of freedom if the quality is raised, it is a story about where to prepare the balance that they want.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Iv'e just been playing Forza 5 while waiting for a game to update, and i have to say i'm really impressed how this game looks and i never really understood the stick it got. There are lots of sunny tracks that GTS fans seem to like but i remember reading on here how some people used to take the piss out of it about the sun in your eyes and some other shit i can't remember about it. Now i'm not saying the graphics are better than GTS but id argue the lod pop is better, draw distance is better, sunny lighting is decent, cars models look quite good with more tracks and cars and it was a launch game way back in 2013 on a 1.31 TF machine. In fact i think it was less than 1.31 TF then as Kinect used up some of the power but im not 100% on that.
I'll try and load up some picks later if i can figure how to.

nkarafo

2000€/$ PC
I'm sorry, what does the price has to do with anything again?

Mine doesn't even cost half as much and i get a similar result.

This is how the game itself looks, such expensive hardware can't change that, you can only improve iq and performance after some point.

Tomeru

but Turk I'll let you go back to the fun of posting images without explanation and saying Forza destroys the competition or whatever you were saying here earlier.

I didn't watch the DF video, but I was thinking the same. It's so clean.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games

Here's the thing a lot of shots that he is posting only enforce what DF says because DF at least have a nuanced argument rather than just saying "Forza is superior in every way, here's a screenshot with no explanation of anything" like Turk has done repeatedly. Forza has the advantage in resolution, texture resolution poly count/less aggressive LoD, it always will too considering the PC and the fact that he is using framerate mode on GTS. Absolutely nobody has denied that. It's the fact that turk can't accept the DF analysis about the actual modeling and materials work that I've not engaged arguing trying to make him or a select other few here see it since he is just on a crusade to make GTS look like crap but if he really wanted to he can even see the differences I and DF pointed out in his own ingame images:

Forza 7
Ho3zFg3o.png

GTS
Ho3Af4U.png

Forza 7
Ho3ASR4.png

GTS
Ho3Etxv.png

Trouble is its another case of cherry picked shots, rear shot sun is facing from the back at a angle and the front shot the sun is pretty much straight above, not the best angles to show of lighting, i can show you pics of Forza 5 better than that. No one is not saying Gts hasn't got the best lighting but he has picked a best and worst case scenario here.

Turk1993

Trouble is its another case of cherry picked shots, rear shot sun is facing from the back at a angle and the front shot the sun is pretty much straight above, not the best angles to show of lighting, i can show you pics of Forza 5 better than that. No one is not saying Gts hasn't got the best lighting but he has picked a best and worst case scenario here.
It was just to show the car model, here is the car in a almost same light direction.

41631452035_3936434f21_o.png

Its missing these occlusion shadows too, looks almost like a cad drawing. that why they used different time of day and angle when they comapred both. Then they call my shots cherry picked lol.
28660562728_eb91a0ef16_o.png

Last edited:

Tomeru

It was just to show the car model, here is the car in a almost same light direction.

Its missing these occlusion shadows too, looks almost like a cad drawing. that why they used different time of day and angle when they comapred both. Then they call my shots cherry picked lol.
Those look nothing like the forza pic you posted though. Even the top one. It looks much more authentic than the "cad drawing" picture. The car is clearly influenced by the light, and it even makes the point about materials and shading much clearer.

(how do I post pics like you guys ^^; )

Last edited:

Turk1993

Those look nothing like the forza pic you posted though. Even the top one. It looks much more authentic than the "cad drawing" picture. The car is clearly influenced by the light, and it even makes the point about materials and shading much clearer.

Its the lighting on that track and the sun was a bit higher you can see that.

Top Bottom