• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
You are welcome.
I really come here to call out the bullshit about GT games.
The amount of create issues for GT games and comparisons with bullshot from PC is unbelievable.

And some guys believes the guys posting pictures are being honest lol
PC bullshots? Where?
And pc comparatives are allowed since the beginning of the thread. Thread is about all platforms...

sncvsrtoip

The problem with FM7 was its lighting, trees and some of its shaders, on most of the tracks they where pretty average. The Dubai track had incredible lighting and details and there you can see FM7 shining at its fullest. It still has one of the best car models in game and the track side details are still one of the best. If the reveal trailer was really real time and game assets than im expecting the next FM to destroy any racing sim in track details.
question is will it have proper wheel support as fm7 has rubbish and proper online with dr system, gt sport was miles ahead in this aspect and gt7 move it even further with new physics and dynamic time and rain (tough many bugs for now, more than I expected)

Last edited:

LostDonkey

You are welcome.
I really come here to call out the bullshit about GT games.
The amount of create issues for GT games and comparisons with bullshot from PC is unbelievable.

And some guys believes the guys posting pictures are being honest lol

I mean you come here because you got banned from GT planet for doing exactly the same thing but let's just paper over that eh

And you're banned from Era for console warring 🤣

Last edited:

Darsxx82

Yeap PD created a LOD just for the Logo.
C’mon guys.
Are you being sarcastic? It is what I hope, otherwise I would begin to understand the saying "fanaticism blinds people". There is a very clear difference between the two and the logo is just one more. Is a totally different LOD.

car8-2.jpg

I don't see anything wrong with defending a game for which you have preferences. In reality no game is perfect and you can go into the subjective of which of them is more meritorious in the different technical aspects. But reaching the point of denying objective evidence of this type is already wanting to deceive oneself.

LostDonkey

Are you being sarcastic? It is what I hope, otherwise I would begin to understand the saying "fanaticism blinds people". There is a very clear difference between the two and the logo is just one more. Is a totally different LOD.

car8-2.jpg

I don't see anything wrong with defending a game for which you have preferences. In reality no game is perfect and you can go into the subjective of which of them is more meritorious in the different technical aspects. But reaching the point of denying objective evidence of this type is already wanting to deceive oneself.
It's pointless mate. He's banned from multiple forums for doing the exact same thing. There can never be anything wrong with GT in his eyes. It is better than anything ever released in every way possible. The end.

skybaby

It's pointless mate. He's banned from multiple forums for doing the exact same thing. There can never be anything wrong with GT in his eyes. It is better than anything ever released in every way possible. The end.
This guy and SLB1904 are like guard dogs at the official gt7 thread. I tried to complain about how crash-prone it was on my ps4 and was instantly called a liar. Then PD patched the game and posted about the issue... It's absolutely awful. This is way I stay away from forums now.

ethomaz

Banned
I mean you come here because you got banned from GT planet for doing exactly the same thing but let's just paper over that eh

And you're banned from Era for console warring 🤣
Banned where?
Never got banned in GT Planet… not even a single time.

Continue with the made up narrative.

And Era lol… so you need to do anything to be banned there? My post they got me banned has nothing to do with console warrior.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Show me a single form about GT games I was ever banned?

Mod of War Mod of War can you check the lies he is spreading please.

BigLee74

Yeap PD created a LOD just for the Logo.
C’mon guys.
That’s the bloody LOD. Are you seriously trying to argue that the reflection of the sunlight is turning a circle into a polygon where you can see the straight edges?

Take the blinkers off man!

ethomaz

Banned

car8-2.jpg

There is car LOD differences.
There is no logo LOD differences.

He is saying this pic the log is a different LOD from the rest of the car.

Gran-Turismo-7-20220313010940.png

The LOD is the same for the car and the logo.
Why the logo seems blury and weird? Well I supposed it is because the sun lighting getting directly over it and the AA.
But there is no LOD difference between the car and the logo in that picture.

I'm not sure what you LOD comparison pic has to do with the pic we were discussing...

That’s the bloody LOD. Are you seriously trying to argue that the reflection of the sunlight is turning a circle into a polygon where you can see the straight edges?

Take the blinkers off man!
Are you guys even reading what it was being discussed?

Last edited:

BigLee74

Yeah, I read you saying you thought the logo looked different due to reflected sunlight.

Post 19183 if you need direction.

It’s a lower LOD (and of course the whole car, not just the logo). Look at the interior for a more obvious indication.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Yeah, I read you saying you thought the logo looked different due to reflected sunlight.

Post 19183 if you need direction.
So why you replied with a pointless comment?
The car and the logo in the picture has the same LOD... the LOD is for the whole car.

I don't need direction I wrote it.

Last edited:

BigLee74

Jesus fucking christ, do we speak the same bloody language? You are hard work ethomaz ethomaz 😂

You were the one claiming the dodgy Mercedes logo wasn’t LOD, but an artifact caused by reflected sun light. I’m just chiming in to say you are speaking bollocks!

Anyway, I don’t fancy a ban for this wee discussion, so let’s just end it here!

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Jesus fucking christ, do we speak the same bloody language? You are hard work ethomaz ethomaz 😂

You were the one claiming the dodgy Mercedes logo wasn’t LOD, but an artifact caused by reflected sun light. I’m just chiming in to say you are speaking bollocks!
He said the car looks good but the logo not... and tried to say it is LOD.
I said the car and logo are the same LOD because you don't have LOD only for the Logo.
If there is something making it weird are the direct sun lighting and/or the AA.

I even asked "Really? LOD changing just for the logo?"... it was pretty clear.

Now you guys jump in the middle assuming the talk was about GT7 not having LODs lol
The pic was taken from gameplay with the gameplay LOD... the logo is weird? Yes and doesn't match the rest of the car but it is not a Logo LOD... what is making it weird compared with the rest of the car is something else.

Maybe if you guys stop to read before goes rage because "It is Ethomaz" maybe you could have understood.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I think Sony/Polyphony should look into letting another studio use the GT tech to create an open world, or arcade friendly, game like the FH series. It would be nice to see another studio adept at making racing games use the advanced tech and deliver different kind of games.

If only Evolution Studios were around, they'd be perfect for a game like this. Driveclub was fucking ace back in the day.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
The entire car's poly LOD is different between the two, just look at the light and reflector marker edges and lines.

Now back on topic and keep the pretty pictures coming.
Can't things like the details be discussed? How is that off topic? Only pictures are allowed to post?

I didn't say that. You did as sarcasm. I did even post a freaking side by side showing its not only the logo that is lower LoD.

Last edited:

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
Can't things like the details be discussed? How is that off topic? Only pictures are allowed to post?

I didn't say that. You did as sarcasm. I did even post a freaking side by side showing its not only the logo that is lower LoD.
Yes, they can.

It's the endless back and forth arguing over minutia that lasts pages which needs course correcting at times.

ethomaz

Banned
I was about to post some PS5 vs PS4 pics from the same place but the PS App didn’t have the PS4 ones lol

I used the same start of race without any moviment to get the exactly same position.
DEBD5-E96-26-F9-42-B4-BD2-B-87-E317-D1-A045.png

I have to find a USB drive to post the PS4 version :(

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
GT7 looks better to me although some trackside details are more impressive on Forza. You could argue GT7 is also a 2017 game. It doesn't look too different from GT Sport.

It iterates on an engine from a 2017 game, it's not literally the same as a 2017 game.

Anyway, one thing I'm noticing in GT videos is that track-side detail is very sparse, it's already a track based game so it's not required to draw a massive chunk of environment at any time, so it kinda sticks out more.

Loope

It iterates on an engine from a 2017 game, it's not literally the same as a 2017 game.

Anyway, one thing I'm noticing in GT videos is that track-side detail is very sparse, it's already a track based game so it's not required to draw a massive chunk of environment at any time, so it kinda sticks out more.
I'll just preface this by saying that i don't really care about too much detail on the track side in car games like GT, Forza, PCars whatever. But that pic with the merc has some awful things going on.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
I think when it comes to night time lighting that's where GT7 looks amazing to me. I know trackside objects from headlights lights aren't dynamic shadows but everything else is top notch. I'd be happy if the new Forza Motorsport could match the night time lighting on GT7. Maybe even with fully dynamic shadows on track details.

zephiross

Yes… PS5 allow that.
You can download both version and test it… anybody with a PS5 can do that.

But I did for curiosity… I play most the PS5 version… not too many hours too… I played just a bit over 10 hours finished the A license yesterday night (missed 2 Gold… needs to redo these today… the Rally one is being weird… I’m doing something very wrong because I miss 300ms).
I don't know if someone told you this already, but rally licences are broken at the moment due to patch 1.06. It replaceed rally tires with the race hard compound which make every rally licences unobtainable in gold or silver (some can be done in bronze). They are aware of this and a fix is on the way.

Inviusx

The interesting thing about these shots is the attention to detail with the trees. GT actually has Australian gum trees that are instantly recognisable to me and are completely appropriate for the area of Bathurst where the track is located.

AC looks good but it's obviously just using a generic tree asset which makes it look like the track could be anywhere in the world.

GT looks distinctly Aussie and I love that.

Forza 7 uses baked shadows while GT Sports and GT7 are fully realtime.
I don't think this is true at all, for either game. Forza motorsport has had some form of real-time lighting for objects that move (e.g. cars, pylons, etc.) for some time. One great example is in the Forza 7 vs. GT7 video posted recently in this thread. Specifically, in the night racing you can see shadows and lighting tracking the movement of pylons and other obstacles as they are hit and move. You can't bake that in. Similarly, in GT7 there is a clear lack of real-time lighting on similar objects, indicating that real-time lighting/shadows is not being used in that particular case. I'm fairly certain both titles have a mix of baked in lighting and real-time lighting.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I don't know if someone told you this already, but rally licences are broken at the moment due to patch 1.06. It replaceed rally tires with the race hard compound which make every rally licences unobtainable in gold or silver (some can be done in bronze). They are aware of this and a fix is on the way.
WOW I’m wasting my time trying to get that Gold? I was going crazy already… I’m no pro but the Gold standard should not be pro level and I keep failing to reach these 300ms needed with that blue Truck.

Last edited:

benzy

I don't think this is true at all, for either game. Forza motorsport has had some form of real-time lighting for objects that move (e.g. cars, pylons, etc.) for some time. One great example is in the Forza 7 vs. GT7 video posted recently in this thread. Specifically, in the night racing you can see shadows and lighting tracking the movement of pylons and other obstacles as they are hit and move. You can't bake that in. Similarly, in GT7 there is a clear lack of real-time lighting on similar objects, indicating that real-time lighting/shadows is not being used in that particular case. I'm fairly certain both titles have a mix of baked in lighting and real-time lighting.

All environmental shadows from the sunlight in FM are baked into the textures. Dynamic moving objects, like cars, have real-time shadows, it's been the same since the first Forza Motorsport. That's why you don't see things like shadow draw or varying shadow LOD for environment shadows in FM, or even see trees self-shadow. Real-time shadow maps are resource intensive and being baked means it has practically no runtime cost, as with the baked GI in both GTS and FM7. Forza Horizon has real-time environmental shadows for all objects.

fm7
fm7-f4e-Forza-Motorsport71252.png

gtsport
gtsport-vs-fm7-cb3-Gran-Turismo-SPORT2020.png

Last edited:

Neo_game

GT7 looks better to me although some trackside details are more impressive on Forza. You could argue GT7 is also a 2017 game. It doesn't look too different from GT Sport.

I agree. There are some improvements over previous games but it is not much. Infact if I remember correctly vg tech or someone mentioned that Pro at 1080P mode has motion blur like the PS5. Pro is easily capable of using the same settings as PS5 at 1080P. If we look at all the games released this gen it is pretty obvious they are simply using higher settings, resolution like how it is on PC depending on the gfx card. FH5 on last gen X also uses the same settings as SX at 4K 30fps except the motion blur I think. Personally I think Forza8 will not be much different either it depends how demanding their lighting engine will be. I expect them to use DRS

benzy

GT7 dynamic time, weather, and procedural clouds adds a lot to the visuals for me. Ever since they announced it would be cross-gen, I stopped expecting everything to be remade from scratch specifically for next gen in terms of graphical assets. Most tracks are a refined version of GTSport, but the improved lighting looks more impressive despite being dynamic now.

GT7 timelapse

Darsxx82

I agree. There are some improvements over previous games but it is not much. Infact if I remember correctly vg tech or someone mentioned that Pro at 1080P mode has motion blur like the PS5. Pro is easily capable of using the same settings as PS5 at 1080P. If we look at all the games released this gen it is pretty obvious they are simply using higher settings, resolution like how it is on PC depending on the gfx card. FH5 on last gen X also uses the same settings as SX at 4K 30fps except the motion blur I think. Personally I think Forza8 will not be much different either it depends how demanding their lighting engine will be. I expect them to use DRS

That's not completely right. FH 5 in XBO X would resemble( because it is worse in MB, AF, long distance detail and shading) with the performance mode of XSX. The quality mode in XSX is on another visual level (you can say that it is equivalent to PC to the maximum). Not to mention that XBO X is significantly more capable hardware than PSPro and the difference between XSX vs XBO X is logically smaller than between PS5 vs PRo. Even so, I clearly see that there is a similar or greater visual leap between FH5 of X vs XSX than between GT7 of PRo vs PS5

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
GT7 dynamic time, weather, and procedural clouds adds a lot to the visuals for me. Ever since they announced it would be cross-gen, I stopped expecting everything to be remade from scratch specifically for next gen in terms of graphical assets. Most tracks are a refined version of GTSport, but the improved lighting looks more impressive despite being dynamic now.

GT7 timelapse

Yup, the dynamic tod and weather adds soo much to the visuals that even the old boring look of some tracks from GTS (even without upgrades) look much much better. But i expected them to clean up some tracks tho, some of the low quality assets are still there and they don't even belong on the PS4 let alone PS5.

LostDonkey

Why is the camera locked during chase cam to only front and rear of the car, the same with GT sport.

What is the issue? I like to look around the vehicle and can't do it.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Why is the camera locked during chase cam to only front and rear of the car, the same with GT sport.

What is the issue? I like to look around the vehicle and can't do it.
Thats not the only thing missing, they made the 3d person view worse than GTS.

Also they had the rotating camera in the GTS beta but for some reason they decide to remove it.

SLB1904

Banned

GT7 timelapse

yeah the weather is amazing, the daily c race is amazing

Corndog

Banned
There is car LOD differences.
There is no logo LOD differences.

Gran-Turismo-7-20220313010940.png

The LOD is the same for the car and the logo.
Why the logo seems blury and weird? Well I supposed it is because the sun lighting getting directly over it and the AA.
But there is no LOD difference between the car and the logo in that picture.

I'm not sure what you LOD comparison pic has to do with the pic we were discussing...

You can see the polygons. Nothing to do with lighting

xPikYx

Thats not the only thing missing, they made the 3d person view worse than GTS.

Also they had the rotating camera in the GTS beta but for some reason they decide to remove it.

Looking at this video GT7 seems a mod of GT sport, it's not different from Assetto Corsa being injected with SOL weather system

Digital Foundry already did the analysis years ago. Forza 7 uses baked shadows while GTS and GT7 are real time.

Top Bottom