• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

ethomaz

Banned
Are you even trying with these excuses mate :pie_roffles:

If 3D hoodlines, headlights and rims and with proper depth, much more detailed (and functional) interiors, tire details instead of a hexagonal mess, among many other things don't count as "work with the polygon", i don't know what does 😉.
I give you the Tetris example… more simple than that is perhaps impossible.

A block with 1 billion polygons will look very similar to a 1 million one… Yankees you work with these polygons to add details to the surface of the block.

That video showed us very low detailed with yeap PS2 tier level of graphics.

The fact the GT4’s cars have more detail even with less polygon tells a lot.

Guilty_AI

I give you the Tetris example… more simple than that is perhaps impossible.

A block with 1 billion polygons will look very similar to a 1 million one… Yankees you work with these polygons to add details to the surface of the block.

That video showed us very low detailed with yeap PS2 tier level of graphics.

The fact the GT4’s cars have more detail even with less polygon tells a lot.
And now you're ignoring all the very clear examples of obviously better details i gave :pie_thinking:

No need to keep trying dude, we all know attempting to compare this with ps2 games was extremely dumb. You could have at least gone for stuff like GT Sport or FH4, those will definitely have better photography.

Last edited:
If you don’t work with the polygon

hRa6Hf4.jpg

Tripolygon

Banned
The denial is strong with this one. :messenger_dizzy:
I'm not talking about the car's head light. I'm talking about the race tracks themselves. Holy shit dude.
It is dynamic but not realtime. TOD changes are baked and static but they are dynamic in the sense that they change based on predetermined track position and not real-time decoupled from driving as other games do it.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I can't stop capturing those beasts... This is stellar level of detail for a part of a car which you see only in ForzaVista...

FYPxzJq.jpg

Did they just literally model a rubber band casually holding a wiring tube?...... :messenger_loudly_crying:

7hS2Y2t.jpg

bwg8FWT.jpg

UWnn2kY.jpg

And this is a 5 year old game now.

Let's see what they cook up with a new engine designed for the new generation hardware.

-

Doing my diligence and posting some FH5 pictures sourced via twitter, apologies for twitter compression.

FO8vw1NX0AAzsxu

FPMwBs-WQBIR-0k

FPL1tqLXMAktDEw

FPKij0yX0AAwz0Y

Utherellus

And this is a 5 year old game now.

Let's see what they cook up with a new engine designed for the new generation hardware.

-

Doing my diligence and posting some FH5 pictures sourced via twitter, apologies for twitter compression.

FO8vw1NX0AAzsxu

FPMwBs-WQBIR-0k

FPL1tqLXMAktDEw

FPKij0yX0AAwz0Y

Both Motorsport and Horizon look amazing.

The only major flaw I see in ForzaTech games, is how they render car materials and paint. I really would love them to mimic GT's approach.

Hopefully we will see revamped shader and material system in their upcoming games.

MachRc

qLPx2Ob.jpg

Anyone else get invited to the Insider Program>?
lists multiple "flight". Hope this means its coming within a year.

edit: fack someone started a thread already

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Tried messing with Beamng's in-game editor to make its visuals look more photogenic, here are some results

nvul1Mb.jpg
WQKiCzV.jpg
zuwDr52.jpg

Aliasing is still an issue in the game, its quite hard to get rid of jagged edges even turning it up to 4k with DSR.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Aside from the obvious issues, the lightning is actually pretty good.
That was actually what i was configuring with the game editor

Heres the original game look:
8ouYAFI.jpg
LUw0dDW.jpg

Here i increased the brightness and exposure settings, as well as shadow resolution:
3XvWlkA.jpg
ctSNMUK.jpg

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Still almost a year away. Let's hope they finally fix the aliasing problem that's been present in all Forza titles. DLSS and FSR on PC would be awesome, but I just don't get why they haven't put any kind of TAA yet.
Forza Motorsport always had these aliasing problems compared to even Forza Horizon. I think they just want that sharp image but can't use other aa methods because they are too expensive or make the image softer. I also hope that DLSS is in or other AA methods. Weird that they choose to use console footage will they could make it even run higher resolution on pc with better image quality.

TrebleShot

So this game is aiming for the whole Sim - Cade style of GT7? Last FM I played was more on the arcade style whereas I would say GT7 is slightly more on the sim side of things.

Would have been great to see more race gameplay and cockpit view.

Edder1

Big improvements

XEpwIdi.jpg

I'm not seeing a generational jump in visuals, it looks more like difference you seen on PC between low and ultra settings. The lack of generational jump in visual fidelity can probably be explained by the fact that at some point it had support for last gen consoles (as per leaks) or the presence of Series S is not allowing for a massive visual jump. Something is not right, especially with Turn10 having had so much time to perfect this project.

Last edited:

Turk1993

I'm not seeing a generational jump in visuals, it looks more like difference you seen on PC between low and ultra settings. The lack of generational jump in visual fidelity can probably be explained by the fact that at some point it had support for last gen consoles (as per leaks) or the presence of Series S is not allowing for a massive visual jump.
Well you are saying it your self, its like low vs ultra but the problem is that FM7 footage is from pc ultra and FM 8 makes it look like low setting. Its the biggest jump in a racing game that we have seeing, the environments alone are bigger upgrade than anything else and we now have RT in game which is first in a racing game. And this was all on Xbox, we still didn't see the pc version which look even better.

Edder1

Well you are saying it your self, its like low vs ultra but the problem is that FM7 footage is from pc ultra and FM 8 makes it look like low setting. Its the biggest jump in a racing game that we have seeing, the environments alone are bigger upgrade than anything else and we now have RT in game which is first in a racing game. And this was all on Xbox, we still didn't see the pc version which look even better.
You can take any racing game from PS3/360 era running on ultra settings on PC and it would be destroyed by a console racer on PS4/XBOne. We have much more powerful consoles than we had last time around so this isn't good enough. Like I said, there's something holding back that tech in FM as the environments in this track racer look less impressive than ones in open world cross gen racer that is FH5. Material work and lighting are also very underwhelming for a current gen exclusive.

Last edited:

Inviusx

As I said in the other thread, I think the lighting in the new FM looks very flat and video gamey, I don't think they simulate lighting from the sun the same way Polyphony do. GT lighting looks very photorealistic but I don't know how to quantify that statement. Maybe it's because Kaz is just a photography nerd.

Last edited:

Turk1993

Negotiator101 Negotiator101 Here you go mate, tried to match the lighting and angles as close as possible.
Forza-Motorsport-Xbox-Games-Showcase2022-Press-Kit-07-16x9-WM-65d9e47359a2ca761898.jpg

Gran-Turismo-7-20220614222034.png

spa.jpg

Gran-Turismo-7-20220614225300.png

This one shows the weaknesses of GT7 RT on little rough reflective materials, it looks fuzzy and is worse in real time when you are in garage or replay mode. And the picture gets blurry when you come to close in GT7 for whatever reason.
rim.jpg

Gran-Turismo-7-20220614225817.png

this is how it looks when you are not rendering it, without blurry shake
Gran-Turismo-7-20220614225805.png

And this is how it looks in scape with the highest quality model and effects
Gran-Turismo-7-20220614231132.png

But those are all photomode (outside the Forza spa and 787B youtube screenshots) so they are enhanced and doesn't really tell us anything how it really looks. GT7 in photomode adds lots of things that is missing in gameplay like RT reflections on cars and environment, more grass, more trees, higher quality shadows, SSOA, higher quality reflections, higher quality car models and higher draw distance rendering. For Forza we don't know yet how much they add in photomode or if they add anything. But if those screens are any indication of what it really looks in game than it blows out any other track racer. The level of detail and the overall quality is really above anyhting we have seen yet.

Negotiator101 Negotiator101 Here you go mate, tried to match the lighting and angles as close as possible.
Forza-Motorsport-Xbox-Games-Showcase2022-Press-Kit-07-16x9-WM-65d9e47359a2ca761898.jpg

Gran-Turismo-7-20220614222034.png

spa.jpg

Gran-Turismo-7-20220614225300.png

This one shows the weaknesses of GT7 RT on little rough reflective materials, it looks fuzzy and is worse in real time when you are in garage or replay mode. And the picture gets blurry when you come to close in GT7 for whatever reason.
rim.jpg

Gran-Turismo-7-20220614225817.png

this is how it looks when you are not rendering it, without blurry shake
Gran-Turismo-7-20220614225805.png

And this is how it looks in scape with the highest quality model and effects
Gran-Turismo-7-20220614231132.png

But those are all photomode (outside the Forza spa and 787B youtube screenshots) so they are enhanced and doesn't really tell us anything how it really looks. GT7 in photomode adds lots of things that is missing in gameplay like RT reflections on cars and environment, more grass, more trees, higher quality shadows, SSOA, higher quality reflections, higher quality car models and higher draw distance rendering. For Forza we don't know yet how much they add in photomode or if they add anything. But if those screens are any indication of what it really looks in game than it blows out any other track racer. The level of detail and the overall quality is really above anyhting we have seen yet.
Thanks for taking the time, we definitely need to see more of Forza but if it actually has that level of fidelity in game then it's no contest.

Top Bottom