• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
1667496401574.png

1667496457628.png

goku-super-saiyan-blue-s655jzg3liqsvhdw.gif

WHEN?

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
I made some comparisons between FM4 vs FM7 with some direct feed gameplay screenshots i found for FM4. Both games where the last releases on X360 and XBX1. I can't wait to do the same for FM8 vs FM7. I love seeing improvements like these and graphical advancements. I will do the same for GT if i can grab some more screenshots.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

FukuDaruma

I made some comparisons between FM4 vs FM7 with some direct feed gameplay screenshots i found for FM4. Both games where the last releases on X360 and XBX1. I can't wait to do the same for FM8 vs FM7. I love seeing improvements like these and graphical advancements. I will do the same for GT if i can grab some more screenshots.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg
FM4 is a lot more vivid.

FM4 is a lot more vivid.
Yeah it is. It does suggest that Turn 10 is at least moving the right way as far as lighting goes.

If you're looking for a wow factor though. Go take another look through those pics. Ignore the cars and stuff for a minute. Just take a look at the tracks and road surface. Itll make you do a double take, and not necessarily in a good way.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Fortnite is now using Lumen for real time GI
I think the point is that basically no amount of "Lumen" is going to make Fortnites aesthetics miles better. So DF isn't exactly a perfect barometer for that kind of angle. With that said, GT7 is holding its own in that specific context.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I think the point is that basically no amount of "Lumen" is going to make Fortnites aesthetics miles better. So DF isn't exactly a perfect barometer for that kind of angle. With that said, GT7 is holding its own in that specific context.
I can see both sides of it. I can see someone not being impressed with Fornite's textures, aesthetics and art style but I can also understand why Digital Foundry included it. They chose it for its new lighting

Turk1993

TDU Solar Crown
Looks better than what they showed last time, hope they improve it a little more. That buggy shot reminded me to Crew 2 for some reason. I hope this game delivers, TDU was one of my favorite racing game. I put maybe 300h just cruising on the island looking for dealers to see different cars, which was in the time mind blowing.

drotahorror

Looks better than what they showed last time, hope they improve it a little more. That buggy shot reminded me to Crew 2 for some reason. I hope this game delivers, TDU was one of my favorite racing game. I put maybe 300h just cruising on the island looking for dealers to see different cars, which was in the time mind blowing.

Their latest newsletter brings hope. Lack of gameplay shown does not.

Last edited:

Tunned

Looks great!

As a huge racing fan, I am so happy we are getting so many great racing games this year. Just of the top of my head we have:

TD Solar Crown
The Crew Motorfest
Forza Motorsport reboot
Ride 5

I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple more, but I'm one happy Racer!

FukuDaruma

Dire need of FH5's TAA and DLSS/DLAA...

Also, never understood this inconsistency in the level of detail between windshield corner and the interior details... it happens in every single car game. 🤦🏻

Npr0t8n.png

Last edited:

Nemesisuuu

Don't like the way lighting interacts with the car in the new Forza Motorsports, almost makes it look like it's not part of the environment. GT7 does it better in that clip above. Other than that, the improvements to the environments are nice.
That's also what bothers me, cars just don't seem to blend with environment. It's like they counted on some ray tracing during development that would better 'plant' cars but at some point they realised it won't work well on console and removed it. There's something off.

unclbenn

materials and tail lights still look better in gt7 but the enviroment detail and real time time of day looked great in forza. ambient shading also looks better in gt7.

Three

This game has one of the best non RT lighting ever, they always nail this like no other.

They used RT lighting back on GT Sport. An in-house raytracing system called IRIS but it was precomputed. They showed realtime raytraced at SIGGRAPH but I believe they have just improved IRIS with precomputed raytraced lighting that matches the weather/TOD changes in GT7. So technically it's raytraced lighting for the track but the dynamic parts like GI from light bouncing off car positions aren't there.

Last edited:

Turk1993

They used RT lighting back on GT Sport. An in-house raytracing system called IRIS but it was precomputed. They showed realtime raytraced at SIGGRAPH but I believe they have just improved IRIS with precomputed raytraced lighting that matches the weather/TOD changes in GT7. So technically it's raytraced lighting for the track but the dynamic parts like GI from light bouncing off car positions aren't there.
Yeah i remember that, it was one of the reason there was no dynamic tod in GTS.

Traditionally GT has the more accurate car paint shaders. It will be interesting to see how Turn 10 do this time around, and I'm really hanging to see the Forza MS vs GT comparisons.
I'm also interested to see the difference in tech being used on the two. Will Ray Tracing make alot of difference over GTs cube maps for example.

From what we have been led to understand, the new Forzatech engine is taking advantage of all the XSX and DX12U features like Sampler Feedback Streaming, Mesh Shaders and XVA.
For them to have full 4k/60 AND in game ray Tracing, when neither Forza Horizon 5 and GT7 were capable of doing that, seems to indicate that it is in a different league engine wise.

Last edited:
Forza Motorsport is disappointing af.
Wasnt this supposed to be the GT7 killer? Theyll have the benefit of next gen only and almost 2 years time. The only thing this killed my excitement.

It's looking on the same level ad GT7 now. Once again Microsoft first party just does not know how to be honest in their early reveals > how the game will actually look on console.

When they originally showed it, it was at an Xbox showcase. They implication was it was going heavy on RT and was going to be a stunning Next Gen game. Fast forward to now it doesn't look better than gt7 and we have "ray tracing on track" still. Actually, this didn't mention RT in that gameplay demo did they, just "4k/60/dynamic tod". I wouldn't put it past them to only have RT in replays.

Even if I'm wrong about RT and it's in the game I'm still underwhelmed

sinnergy

Dire need of FH5's TAA and DLSS/DLAA...

Also, never understood this inconsistency in the level of detail between windshield corner and the interior details... it happens in every single car game. 🤦🏻

Npr0t8n.png
It takes up to much polygons if you make the corners round. That’s is probably it, and they need the polygon budget for other things . Cutting corners 🤣

Last edited:

FukuDaruma

It takes up to much polygons if you make the corners round. That’s is probably it, and they need the polygon budget for other things . Cutting corners 🤣
It's not 'the' corners. It's ONE (or two) corner. If you look at that interior, literally *everything* else is perfectly round. Every single little detail, including pieces that are *a lot* smaller. Then that corner, that occupies a big portion of the screen, looks like the LOD of a game from 10-15 years ago... 🤦🏻

rolandss

Lots of photo mode shots I bet. I love GT7 but a looker it isn’t…
It's a good looker but hamstrung being a cross gen game. It uses a lot of PS4 assets from Sport. You'd hope FM8 should beat it as a purely current gen title.

I love GT7, it's my favourite game on PS5, and I love the series. GT7 was a leap ahead of previous titles in many ways and it's always a unique feeling game presentation wise. But compared to the competition the series has been stagnating a long time.

Turk1993

I'm really impressed by The Crews cockpit view animations, the hands and the motion shake are really immersive and convincing. A shame about the fake mirrors though, a damn shame!
Yup the animations are really nice and make Forza Horizon 5 interior animation look like a joke. Also im impressed by the CM sounds, they have improved it alot compared to C2.

Top Bottom