• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

SimTourist

This is what they said about the RT on track.

“Ray tracing is here. It’s on track and most importantly, it’s real-time gameplay. I really want to make that clear: when we say ‘on track’, it doesn’t mean it’s only in replays or it’s only in Photo Mode on track and we’re just being funny with words. We’re not trying to mislead you here. When you’re racing and when you are playing the game, ray tracing is on. We want to be really clear about that.”

Its big fucking lie if they don't have RT during gameplay. Im pretty sure the pc version will have it as they showed a couple of times. But on Xbox im not that sure tbh.
I can see Series S not getting it, Series X there's still a chance.

LostDonkey

Im playing it on pc so i don't have to worry. But i just hate it when devs straight out lie about this shit. Time will tell, lets wait and see if the final game actually has RT during gameplay on console.
I've been watching some vids from Gamescom, granted they're off screen, but I can't see any evidence of ray tracing during the races.

In this video you can see when the players Audi overtakes the blue BMW neither car shows any reflection or colour bounce, unless I am completely blind.

Here

Overtake at 7:23

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
I've been watching some vids from Gamescom, granted they're off screen, but I can't see any evidence of ray tracing during the races.

In this video you can see when the players Audi overtakes the blue BMW neither car shows any reflection or colour bounce, unless I am completely blind.

Here

Overtake at 7:23

Yeah i know, which is giving me a sign that it may be not a thing on Xbox. But i read somewhere that there are 2 graphical options on console. Maybe they couldn't get it at 60fps and they offer a 30fps mode with RT reflections to not make there statement " in game RT" a lie. Also why show it of on Xbox, show us that mexed out pc build with every thing cranked up and enabled like rtgi.

diffusionx

Gold Member
If Forza has RT during the race it will be extremely minimal and at an ultra-low setting, or in some horrid "RT mode" at 30fps, just because we know what these consoles can do with RT, and it's not much, and the game is already doing a lot.

Turn 10 better have fucking Ray Tracing on track. I have been very supportive of these guys, as they always deliver, but lying about having RT would be a pretty big fuck up, one they should be smashed over.
I expect they will, as they stated. However, it’s going to be very minimal on console. Probably only some reflections on cars. They were pretty clear that it’s not RTGI during gameplay and the current consoles Ray tracing capability is very poor.

drotahorror

One track vs open world.

No Wonder that Drive Club looks way better.😏

The game is almost 10 years old dude.

Also it's just not a valid argument anymore. The best looking games ever made are open world.

If Driveclub was in 4k/60, it would be the best looking racing game still.
In some ways DC has still not been topped and there's absolutely no excuses almost a decade later with insane hardware available now.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

The game is almost 10 years old dude.

Also it's just not a valid argument anymore. The best looking games ever made are open world.

If Driveclub was in 4k/60, it would be the best looking racing game still.
In some ways DC has still not been topped and there's absolutely no excuses almost a decade later with insane hardware available now.
I feel a lot of what makes the game looks good is the car materials. Other things like the enviroment or atmospheric effects never struck me as something particular special.

A bit of a side rant, but i really hate how so many racing games, especially open world ones, make the tracks so large. I get why they do this but it gives a very unnatural feel to the environment. I wish more racing games went the Beamng route and gave their enviroments a tighter feel to it, with more uneven roads and holes, making it actually look like a real place you're venturing through and not a playground designed for you to race.

Thankfully that JDM game being developed seems to get it

Last edited:

Turk1993

T Three I want to apologize to you about something man. You remember when we where going back and forth about the white balance and that mexican filter in FM2023? You where right, they are using that ugly yellow filter in there latest trailers like crazy. The lighting is actually amazing but they are using that shit like crazy which i hope we can disable or isn't on during gameplay.

Trailer
forezzzz5.jpg

My edit with the correct white balance
forezzzz5-1.jpg

Promo shot
forzzaaaa1-2.png

forzzaaaa1-2.jpg

hearties-ray.gif

T Three I want to apologize to you about something man. You remember when we where going back and forth about the white balance and that mexican filter in FM2023? You where right, they are using that ugly yellow filter in there latest trailers like crazy. The lighting is actually amazing but they are using that shit like crazy which i hope we can disable or isn't on during gameplay.

Trailer
forezzzz5.jpg

forezzzz5-1.jpg

Promo shot
forzzaaaa1-2.png

forzzaaaa1-2.jpg

hearties-ray.gif
Many other racing games have used yellow filters like this before. I agree it’s awful. I hope it’s not throughout the game and these shots are just time of day that lends itself to that. Or some awful decision to promo the game.

SimTourist

Man, the artstyle on FM just looks goofy at this point. When crossgen Horizon looks more photoreal you know you done messed up.

FukuDaruma

So we are almost going back to Codemasters GRID 'piss filter'... 🤦🏻

vintage-2008.jpg.adapt.crop16x9.1455w.jpg

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Trailer
forezzzz5.jpg

forezzzz5-1.jpg

Promo shot
forzzaaaa1-2.png

forzzaaaa1-2.jpg

hearties-ray.gif
The photos could be taken in Mexico, and we all know that Mexico is yellow. So it's 100% accurate. /s

Just a tip: Don't sleep on Grid Legends if you like arcade(ish) racers! Its a fantastic and beautiful game! PS5 version is close to perfection, smooth as hell!

Last edited:

Magik85

To be fair, nearly all promo clips were from sunset/sunrise. So youd expect warm lighting.
Gameplay from gamescom were during midday and didnt seem to have any yellow tint.
Then again, it was all just offscreen so...

drotahorror

Doesn't look insane or anything but the city looks really detailed. It really gives a sense of just how huge those skyscrapers are. I like how some of the roads are qujite narrow and there's just no way you're going to be going flat out down some of those roads without smashing into a wall.

The night time with fog looks pretty great too. Hopefully they work on dynamic shadows being casted from your headlights.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

Doesn't look insane or anything but the city looks really detailed. It really gives a sense of just how huge those skyscrapers are. I like how some of the roads are qujite narrow and there's just no way you're going to be going flat out down some of those roads without smashing into a wall.

The night time with fog looks pretty great too. Hopefully they work on dynamic shadows being casted from your headlights.

this got to be the worst chase camera I've seen in a racing game

Turk1993

Ok i think they are listening because thank god they removed that ugly ass yellow filter in all the trailers after that one.

These face-offs will be so cool to watch.

I finally managed to see some decent FM footage and it looks pretty good. Although to me it still has that "hey I'm a game" look that all Forza games have, while GT manages to get lighting to almost look like real life.

Trees look much better in Forza than in GT. Some environments also look pretty insane in FM, but I find it very uneven, with some of them looking pretty bland with muddy textures. GT has lower level of detail overall in environments but it's fairly consistent.

Cars seem much lower poly in FM than in GT, it's easily noticeable.

Let's see what shows up in those comparisons later.

Last edited:
I'm taking my time to post some fresh GT7 screens from my gametime yesterday (no replay, all ingame without HUD)

VCOl4Ap.jpg

EO8LYY6.jpg

bl5p5ms.jpg

JtjgMEV.jpg

The lighting in this game is absolutely insane. Love it. The only thing that bothers me is the rally races. They absolutely suck. Full of invisible walls and the dirt effect is just ridiculous. I wish PD had spent more time polishing that mode.

Senua

GT7s lighting may be rasterized in game, but it still looks more convincing than Forza's from the footage I've seen so far, RT or not. So much of it comes down to artistry. I do think RTGI will help it a lot though but it remains to be seen in game.

PS I wish I wasn't thread banned from the Forza review embargo thread, i like talking about racing games :messenger_crying:

Last edited:

Turk1993

I really don't believe this. Car models look so good during races.
Yes they look good but they don't have higher poly than FM games because they use lower lod during gameplay. We have discussed this 100 times already in this thread. The shaders where better and the lighting make it look better but the models themeself during gameplay where inferior outside the cockpit view. FM uses photomode lod since FM6 during gameplay.
car8-2.jpg

car7-2.jpg

After the 360 cam update we can see it even better, just look at the interior and the body of the cars also the wheels on the merc.
Gran-Turismo-7-20230128003615.png

Gran-Turismo-7-20220630210942.png

Last edited:
Yes they look good but they don't have higher poly than FM games because they use lower lod during gameplay. We have discussed this 100 times already in this thread. The shaders where better and the lighting make it look better but the models themeself during gameplay where inferior outside the cockpit view. FM uses photomode lod since FM6 during gameplay.

After the 360 cam update we can see it even better, just look at the interior and the body of the cars also the wheels on the merc.

The lighting,car paint,trees etc...looks so good here. Usually in broad dailyght is where the majority of racing games looks off but GT7 nails it, looks so natural

Turk1993

^Yet it looks quite a bit better than even the intro for the races in FM 🤷‍♂️
nah man, that Maple Valley map looks better than anything in GT7. I have almost 200h in GT7 and it can look really good with its incredible lighting on the right tracks. But the new FM is doing soo much more than GT7. The fully 3d trees with that lighting and godrays with that track detail is just next level for a sim racer. Best looking track in GT7 is Trial Mountain and even that doesn't come close to the detail on Maple Valley. When the game is out i will do lots of comparison on similar setting and track car combo to see the differences. GT7 lighting and shaders still kick ass tho it has stil areas that it is better than the new FM.

The lighting,car paint,trees etc...looks so good here. Usually in broad dailyght is where the majority of racing games looks off but GT7 nails it, looks so natural
GT7 lighting nails most tod settings, its really that good for raster lighting.

nah man, that Maple Valley map looks better than anything in GT7. I have almost 200h in GT7 and it can look really good with its incredible lighting on the right tracks. But the new FM is doing soo much more than GT7. The fully 3d trees with that lighting and godrays with that track detail is just next level for a sim racer. Best looking track in GT7 is Trial Mountain and even that doesn't come close to the detail on Maple Valley. When the game is out i will do lots of comparison on similar setting and track car combo to see the differences. GT7 lighting and shaders still kick ass tho it has stil areas that it is better than the new FM.

GT7 lighting nails most tod settings, its really that good for raster lighting.
I'm talking specifically about car models. I don't think I've seen one single car model from FM that looks spectacular, at least not yet. All of them look okayish to me. Landscapes tend to look better in FM though, especially ones with trees because indeed the team seems to have taken the time to make them look great.

Turk1993

I'm talking specifically about car models. I don't think I've seen one single car model from FM that looks spectacular, at least not yet. All of them look okayish to me. Landscapes tend to look better in FM though, especially ones with trees because indeed the team seems to have taken the time to make them look great.
Later when im home i will install FM7 specially for you to do a small comparison between in game car models of GT7 and FM7. I have comparisons of Forza Horizon 5 with GT7 few pages back you can look it up if you are interested since its the same car models as FM.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Later when im home i will install FM7 specially for you to do a small comparison between in game car models of GT7 and FM7. I have comparisons of Forza Horizon 5 with GT7 few pages back you can look it up if you are interested since its the same car models as FM.
I remember you doing one for GT Sport v FM7 and the cars being more detailed on track in FM7. But I didn't realise that it was the the same V GT7. I'm interested in this, I thought they improved quite a bit on GT7. I know the lord popin on cars is a lot better than it was in GT Sport.

Turk1993

I remember you doing one for GT Sport v FM7 and the cars being more detailed on track in FM7. But I didn't realise that it was the the same V GT7. I'm interested in this, I thought they improved quite a bit on GT7. I know the lord popin on cars is a lot better than it was in GT Sport.
It is improved on some cars but the lod is still lower than the photomode lod and much much lower than the scape lod.

It is improved on some cars but the lod is still lower than the photomode lod and much much lower than the scape lod.
Oh good point, Forza vista or whatever it's called also looks lower poly than GT7 from what I saw. But what's really impressive is that there's RT ingame (although at 1440p, still better than no RT).

I'm eager to see the faceoffs!

Last edited:

Darsxx82

Something I would like DF to compare is the difference in lighting or a full timelapse on different circuits.

Image captures of the final game are coming out and it seems that (logically), different TOD could mean a big change.

F7iFV6vbcAIhlB6
F7iFV6sbcAAV2Zf
F7iFV6ubcAEq8hd

^I think the new HUD looks much better than the previous one.

Edit: look at the muddy/blurry texture in that last picture. Where the lexus sign is floating there.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

I know. Those textures won't magically improve though. Anyway here's a picture I just took at the same spot at Francorchamps

avRbDjb.jpg
How do you value textures from a screenshot taken from a YouTube video stream and compare vs a direct shoot?

PD .The detail trackside on the other hand Is more valuable.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Hopefully they work on dynamic shadows being casted from your headlights.
It does have that in the night section, it's not very obvious because in that drive they don't head towards objects in the way much but you can see it on street lights, those portable rail things around some places and even the scenery foliage's shadows cast on a tree.

It's the day time shadows that are quite low res and sub par.

I like it though. Consistent, stylish and with very distant draw distance, no obvious pop in of the higher extreme detail models or small clutter objects up close like many games tend to do which in my opinion sucks while playing but makes for pretty screenshots etc.

Last edited:
The game is coming out shortly. If it doesn't look bad I will say it, don't worry. After all this is a preview build, and a YT video. It should look better.

Top Bottom