• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next - gen RPG's on 360 vs. PS3

sonycowboy said:
Why would Blu-Ray's seek time be worse? Shouldn't it actually be better because the head needs to move less distance as the data only takes 1/6th the physical space relative to DVD?
Correctamundo. Just like DVD seeks are faster than CD seeks, Blu-Ray seeks will be faster than DVD seeks.

Phoenix

iapetus said:
Depends on the GM. Better GM => more flexibility in those precreated stories/characters.

True. Also depends on the group. Many times you were going to play a campaign over the course of 2 days and that doesn't lend itself to hours of upfront character development.

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
Someone really should get a port of guild wars. That game just screams community, and being able to play with PC gamers would open up alot of fun.

arhra

iapetus said:
In my opinion, neither Western-style PC RPGs nor JRPGs are actually genuine RPGs in the same way than P&P ones are, because of the inherent limitations of computer software as a GM.
I'd say multiplayer NWN is (well, can be). But that kinda sidesteps the whole computer-as-a-GM thing... and it's still not perfect, but it's a lot closer than most CRPGs.

Zaptruder

Banned
When we talk about RPGs nowadays, at least for computer and consoles, it's really just an adventure game with stat building.

THAT'S WHERE ALL YOUR ADVENTURE GAMES WENT! THEY ALL BECAME RPGS!

And by god I'd wish they'd make some good ones still... Planescape Torment! YE WERE THE BEST!

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Is anyone else excited about Final Fantasy: Crystical Chronicles 2?

I mean, yea, the first one wasn't that great, but it had a lot of fun ideas.
If this can be pulled off succesfully online, maybe in a Guild Wars-Phantasy Star kind of co-op RPG adventure, it could totally kick ass. On one screen, no DS attachment please.

Think Square will put a slightly older skew on it this time?
Well, they wouldn't even have to. The graphics of CC weren't bad to begin with. Reminds me a lot of FF9.

Ohh, and lets not forget World of Mana was announced next-gen too.

monkeyrun

Zaptruder said:
When we talk about RPGs nowadays, at least for computer and consoles, it's really just an adventure game with stat building.

THAT'S WHERE ALL YOUR ADVENTURE GAMES WENT! THEY ALL BECAME RPGS!

And by god I'd wish they'd make some good ones still... Planescape Torment! YE WERE THE BEST!
you need some zelda :lol

John Harker

Oh, and while we're at it, I'd also like to see updated sequals to Legend of Dragoon and Beyond the Beyond, and especially King's Field/Shadow Tower.

... not even joking.

Blaster1X

Banned
oblivionx360box5qb.jpg

sonycowboy said:
Just a promise from Square's president that a PS3 Final Fantasy was just "beyond the horizon", whatever the hell that means. That and all the squawk about Bioware coming to the PS3. But, afaik, nothing has been announced. Although, there are almost NO games announced at all at this point for the PS3 at all.
:lol The ignorance!!!

PS3 Final Fantasy is a good 3+ years away. They won't even get FF12 our the door before next year. It will be a long wait for the next one.

I expect sometime in 2007, so 2-2.5 years from now. FFXII doesn't have much to do with it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So you've decided to get a 360? What games? I just hope PGR3 will be available at EU launch, that'll be all I need for a while. The only thing that might suck will be $60 games.

$60? You hoping Xbox 360 games come out cheaper than xbox 1 games in Europe? :p

who had most RPG´s last year?
who had most RPG´s the year before that?

and the year before that?

one word for you

PS2

oh and it was the same with PSone.

so its obvoiuse that PS3 will also have tons more RPG games than Xbox and REV will have combined.

so forget this talk about the disc size as that does not have any impact on what platform the devs chooses to release their games on!

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
jarrod said:
Not only that, but Revolution should have a nice selection of classic NES/SNES/N64 RPGs as well. :)

During the Nintendo press conference I think Iwata said that Nintendo games from their older consoles would be available. Did he actually mean only Nintendo-published games will be available through the download service for Revolution, or games from 3rd party devs as well?

akascream

Banned
I dunno what crappy GMs you guys play with, but I would never play with one that forcefed me my own character. Sorry, that isn't roleplaying, that's watching some nerd pontificate.

jarrod

Banned
Kiriku said:
During the Nintendo press conference I think Iwata said that Nintendo games from their older consoles would be available. Did he actually mean only Nintendo-published games will be available through the download service for Revolution, or games from 3rd party devs as well?
I'd expect 3rd parties, especially Square Enix, to be offering content as well. I think there's a good chance we'll even see new localizations for some stuff as well.

trmas

Banned
Anyone who worries about getting a decent number of RPG's on the PS3 is a moron. I mean seriously. If you like RPG's, there is a really good chance you own a PS2 right now.

MS has done better, but don't go overboard here. Let's wait for TGS before freaking out. I'm interested to see if PS3 will be playable at TGS a few months down the line.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
jarrod said:
I'd expect 3rd parties, especially Square Enix, to be offering content as well. I think there's a good chance we'll even see new localizations for some stuff as well.

I hope so since I initially assumed, for some reason, that this would include just about every game released for NES, SNES and N64 in a similar way as backwards compability...but then I realized that's not the same thing since you're buying the games as well.
Anyway...even though they've been fan-translated, would be cool to see localizations of games like Star Ocean and Clock Tower. At least the former has a small chance. :p

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Parallax Scroll said:
I can't wait to play all those N64 RPGs. =P

Well, there's Paper Mario and....................................................so how about those SNES RPGs huh??? ;)

jarrod

Banned
Parallax Scroll said:
I can't wait to play all those N64 RPGs. =P
Laugh, but there's some great stuff on N64...

RPG
-Paper Mario (Nintendo)

SRPG
-Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber (Square Enix)

ARPG
-The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Nintendo)
-The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (Nintendo)
-Mystical Ninja starring Goemon (Konami)

Dungeon Crawl
-Fushugi no Dungeon: Shiren of the Wind 2 (Chunsoft)

Sim
-Animal Crossing (Nintendo)
-Harvest Moon 64 (Natsume)
-River King 64 (Natsume)

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Space will matter but RPGs can use mutliple discs easily.

Games are going to get bigger. Just look at how much bigger they are now compared to PSone games. We've got multiple discs now with today's compression. Are you telling me that some magical compression technique is going to come out within the next year that will offset the massive increases in textures and videos to HD resolutions? Or that all developers will take more recources to carefully compress everything tightly?

And while it may be true that CG is lightening up, don't think that real time scenes are always rendered by the system. Some scenes are just to fast paced for a system to load data to keep up with so they prerecord real time stuff.

Any1

I wonder, since the 360 will come with a hard drive and the PS3 will not, will it make massive worlds more possible. You know , like say you killed someone at the begining of the game and maybe 30 hours later after traversing miles and miles of the world, you could return to the same spot that you killed that person and find his rotting decomposing corpse still there with all the effects that time has done to it.

Now i know that the example i have given doesn't impact gameplay very much but i was just wondering if a HD would make something like that possible, cause if so, i'm sure developers could come up with ways to use a huge world that really changes depending upon your actions. Instead of things just disapearing or going back to their original place like games tend to do this gen.

Again, i don't know if a hd is necessary to do such things, but surely you would think that developers could come up with a genuine gameplay advantage that the hd could be used for to counter act the PS3's advantage of having larger data storage, as far as RPG's are concerned.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
sonycowboy said:
And to add to what djiesto wrote, I'm sure I won't find a single positive comment in your post history regarding the 80% of RPG's that are JRPG's announced for the 360?

no, you won't. You can look. I've been very vocal about my dislike for Japaneses-style storybook RPGs. Look at my fucking name - it's from Morrowind.

EDIT: don't get all riled up Sonycowboy. I'm not attacking your precious Playstation 2. I own one. I love mine. I just don't like that genre, no matter what system it's on. The storybook RPG (note the seperation between "storybook" RPG and the JRPG) is just a boring genre to me, and I think the market that likes it is currently on (and will stay on) the playstation brand.

Blaster1X

Banned
Any1 said:
I wonder, since the 360 will come with a hard drive and the PS3 will not, will it make massive worlds more possible. You know , like say you killed someone at the begining of the game and maybe 30 hours later after traversing miles and miles of the world, you could return to the same spot that you killed that person and find his rotting decomposing corpse still there with all the effects that time has done to it.

Now i know that the example i have given doesn't impact gameplay very much but i was just wondering if a HD would make something like that possible, cause if so, i'm sure developers could come up with ways to use a huge world that really changes depending upon your actions. Instead of things just disapearing or going back to their original place like games tend to do this gen.

Again, i don't know if a hd is necessary to do such things, but surely you would think that developers could come up with a genuine gameplay advantage that the hd could be used for to counter act the PS3's advantage of having larger data storage, as far as RPG's are concerned.

I think having a hard drive would help with that..I just think Sony needs to add some kind of internal massive storage device for PS3.

Drek

"Tales of" and "Breath of Fire" series aren't really given IMO, could probably end up on Revolution as well.
I hate to say it, but after how BOF5 sold I'd be real surprised if Capcom makes another, or at least another that isn't derivative crap like the series had been prior to the awesome Dragon Quarter.

SRPG
-Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber (Square Enix)
Is OB64 owned by SE? I know Nintendo published it (at least in North Am.), I'm hoping they kept some rights to it so that we'll see it on Rev., otherwise I'd be surprised to see Square Enix bring it over, they'll be more concerned with FF's 1-6, Chrono Trigger, Dragon Quest 1-6, etc.. I'd love it though, one of my all time favorite series, and Person of Lordly Caliber is a great all around game, I just hate having to dig the N64 out of the closet to play it. I'd kill for a new console installment too.

Oh, and while we're at it, I'd also like to see updated sequals to Legend of Dragoon and Beyond the Beyond, and especially King's Field/Shadow Tower.
I can chalk the rest up to taste, but Beyond the Beyond? I'm a huge RPG nut and I didn't even return the game, I smashed it into a thousand pieces and flushed it down the shitter, where it belonged.

All the Camelot staff should get a round of kicks to the nuts for perpetrating that crime on the gaming public.

jarrod

Banned
Drek said:
Is OB64 owned by SE? I know Nintendo published it (at least in North Am.), I'm hoping they kept some rights to it so that we'll see it on Rev., otherwise I'd be surprised to see Square Enix bring it over, they'll be more concerned with FF's 1-6, Chrono Trigger, Dragon Quest 1-6, etc.. I'd love it though, one of my all time favorite series, and Person of Lordly Caliber is a great all around game, I just hate having to dig the N64 out of the closet to play it. I'd kill for a new console installment too.
Square Enix bought the Ogre brand along with all related assets from Quest. So they own the rights to Ogre Battle, Tactics Ogre, Ogre Battle 64, Tactics Ogre Gaiden and Ogre Battle Gaiden. They also absorbed Quest's games unit (who then went on to develop FFTA and later join Matsuno's FFXII team).

Also Atlus released OB64 in the USA while Nintendo distributed it in Japan for Quest.

Drek said:
I can chalk the rest up to taste, but Beyond the Beyond? I'm a huge RPG nut and I didn't even return the game, I smashed it into a thousand pieces and flushed it down the shitter, where it belonged.

All the Camelot staff should get a round of kicks to the nuts for perpetrating that crime on the gaming public.
To be fair, Beyond the Beyond was so bad in large part because SCEJ rushed the game out in under a year (it was developed in something insane like 8 months). This was one of the big factors leading to Camelot's split with Sony. Golden Sun 1-2 are more along the lines of what Camelot wanted to do with the game, in fact I remember reading Golden Sun was sort of their apology for Beyond the Beyond. :)

John Harker

I never beat Beyond the Beyond because it frustrated the hell out of me, but in all fairness, it came here really early in the PSX lifespan, so i was pretty excited about it when I first started it.

Couldn't hurt to try again with it, updated.

Oh, and Vandal Hearts!!

John Harker

The_Granstream_Saga_for_PlayStation-resized200.jpg

6CFA6C24F7BF1D50C1256DE3004DD08D.jpg

XJ100005093.JPG

granstre_screen003.jpg

granstre_screen002.jpg

I'll take a next-gen sequal of this game.
Seriously.
C'mon, PSX was mainly great beacuse of its obscure RPGs, haha.

jarrod

Banned
Fun fact: The developers of Granstream Saga were a splinter group of Quintet (famous for Actriaser 1-2 and their Creation Trilogy of SNES ARPGs) called Shade. They also made Mystic Heroes for GC/PS2.

jarrod

Banned
PC Gaijin said:
If they made Orphen and Granstream Saga...let's hope they're dead :lol.
Actually, I think Quintet reabsorbed them following Mystic Heroes. Though I'm not sure if Quintet's even alive these days. :(

Top Bottom