• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next generation leap

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
PS5 is showing a good leap already and this will improve tons, further in the generation like always. What do you guys think?

Spider-man Miles Morales PS5
ApdsIt0.jpg

Spider-man PS4
pZgXt35.jpg

Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart PS5
hawtLlo.jpg

Ratchet and Clank PS4
yccGbfV.jpg

Gran Turismo 7 PS5
g2TH2vw.jpg

Gran Turismo Sport PS4
4BqCUEr.jpg

Horizon Forbidden West PS5
IQeVyes.jpg

Horizon Zero Dawn PS4
JpmPxyM.jpg

Cutscenes are not the best way to demonstrate a games true visuals.
Basing what footage was shown at the Sony E3 event, i'd say some games look pretty good, but nothing wowed me in saying "that is next gen". Actually, i was underwhelmed overall. But it's early.

Can't wait to see Halo Infinite on XSX, Hellblade 2, next Forza Motorsport with that XSX Ray Tracing, Playgrounds new Fable, and The Initiatives new rumored Perfect Dark.

Last edited:
Yeah to echo most others, not really a huge difference. I’d wait til they’re actually released too. Will be the same with Xbox, they could show something as impressive as the HB2 teaser but running real-time and it would be super impressive but still safest to wait for release footage.

Romulus

Top tier VR games are further ahead now than ps5/XSX will ever be in terms of feeling like an actual leap.

I think there will be a jump, but I think it will be in other ways. I think we're all a little too "green" to know how much extra power it takes to make a game 60 fps, 120 fps, 4k or 8k. How much "power" it takes to get rid of LODs, new Ai, more Effects, bigger worlds. Most of us are judging purely on what we know about visuals and it's frankly a very limited knowledge base.

I'm pretty happy with the jump these consoles will be making. It looks like we'll be getting bigger worlds, more NPCs, more immersion, better ai, less pop in, better audio, the list goes on. I'm very impressed with the direction these consoles went, it wasn't just faster CPU/GPU, that's not innovation. New CPU/GPUs get release every couple years. They've both changed the things around the CPU/GPU and that can fundamentally change game design, that's exciting.

GlockSaint

You guys say 'no you shouldn't compare some low res photos to the real thing in it's full resolution' but i say a next gen leap should be obvious even on 240p side comparisons. A tangible difference like ps2 to ps3 and ps3 to ps4.
Though i think it doesn't really matter, games have reached the fidelity that I've always wanted already, maybe better worlds, interesting game mechanics that take advantage of the shorter load times, better framerates, improved image quality, aa etc.
Load times alone are almost worth the upgrade, waiting almost a min or a min and a half in ff7 everytime you move to a new area or dies was atrocious. Or the fact you need to wait almost 5 mins for gtav single player campaign to load Everytime you play it.

Rikkori

The real big jump will be from interactivity & physics. We haven't seen any of that yet. Probably not going to for a while either.

Regardless of substantial leaps in fidelity, which no doubt will grow leaps and bounds over a short amount of time.

I really hope developers in general across the board at least give us graphical options. I'd really sacrifice 4K/30fps if I could choose 1440p/60fps. I wouldn't complain about image quality or nothin'.
giphy.gif

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Cutscenes are not the best way to demonstrate a games true visuals.
Basing what footage was shown at the Sony E3 event, i'd say some games look pretty good, but nothing wowed me in saying "that is next gen". Actually, i was underwhelmed overall. But it's early.

Can't wait to see Halo Infinite on XSX, Hellblade 2, next Forza Motorsport with that XSX Ray Tracing, Playgrounds new Fable, and The Initiatives new rumored Perfect Dark.
You play the last Perfect Dark?

Why would you want a Uncharted Perfect Dark?
I don't. I want a great single player,cinematic story driven game with Splinter Cell gadgets and stealth gameplay and Cyberpunk 2077 vibe.

The Creative Director on Red Dead Redemption is there as well as some lead Insomniac, Crystal Dynamics devs. The studio is essentially an all star team at this point.

I don't. I want a great single player,cinematic story driven game with Splinter Cell gadgets and stealth gameplay and Cyberpunk 2077 vibe.

The Creative Director on Red Dead Redemption is there as well as some lead Insomniac, Crystal Dynamics devs. The studio is essentially an all star team at this point.
What even are they working on? Their hype studio video on YT is kinda cool. Have they hinted on what they are actually making?

quest

Not Banned from OT
Horizon looked great and really next generation. When that comes out next generation starts on the PS5. The rest are nice looking upgrades but not wow like horizon.

If anything OP your screenshots show how small a leap it is. Take an uncompressed Uncharted 4 screen and Nate is easily as detailed looking as Miles there. Horizon 2 is beautiful but looks exactly what it is: a PS4 game that became a PS5 title mid-dev. Uneven.

Am waiting for the second wave of PS5 titles. Those will be the ones to impress. PS5 slim, price drop, games that take advantage of matured hardware. Personally waiting for fluid dynamics, soft body physics, dynamic/changing RT like in UE5 demo. That's the time to jump in. Until then crossgen tides me over.

VFXVeteran

Banned
PS5 is showing a good leap already and this will improve tons, further in the generation like always. What do you guys think?

Spider-man Miles Morales PS5
ApdsIt0.jpg

Spider-man PS4
pZgXt35.jpg

Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart PS5
hawtLlo.jpg

Ratchet and Clank PS4
yccGbfV.jpg

Gran Turismo 7 PS5
g2TH2vw.jpg

Gran Turismo Sport PS4
4BqCUEr.jpg

Horizon Forbidden West PS5
IQeVyes.jpg

Horizon Zero Dawn PS4
JpmPxyM.jpg
You guys love to use cinematics as a gauge for graphics. It's hilarious.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Of course, high-quality 4K photos will look much better than 1080p garbage screengrabs.

Has nothing to do with the PS5 though.
*Compares Spiderman PS5 4k screenshot to PS4 Youtube grab....LOOK AT DAT LEAP!

200w.webp
Those dont look like official 4k screenshots to me. they look terrible.

these are the official shots. they have 'captured on ps5' tags which the OP screenshots dont. OP doesnt seem to have edited his post either.

milesmorales-hero-ps5-legal.original.jpg

trailereimagens_3184393b.jpg

49996344886_aa8b864d04_4k.jpg

49995779038_007ac3562a_4k.jpg

49996551392_2065591823_4k.jpg

Last edited:

JordanN

Banned
The problem isn't the tech, the artstyles just look the same across the board.

That's what kills it for me. They all just try to be "realistic" and nothing more.

Previous console cycles showed the leap while actually producing completely unique styles.

ahL9xqH.png
aVXe6VX.gif
kKRcNlS.png
zK4CQQ1.jpg

All 4 games were a step up from the NES, yet they also look different compared to one another.

Last edited:

JordanN

Banned
Not a big leap.

If you want to see a big leap:

I'll never forget when I was a kid, my older brother came to visit me and told me Sony announced Playstation 2. He said Gran Tursimo looked like real life and my mind was blown.

This was when we were still playing Mortal Kombat on the SNES and barely knew any 3D games.

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I’m pretty damn disappointed. Those pictures OP posted are abysmal. I’ll chalk it up to them being launch titles, but all except R&C look like PS4 titles. Also, people still look like plastic.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Texutres, polygons, shaders, lighing,... is all a given
Stuff like that bottle some posts above is the truly impressive stuff.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
The problem isn't the tech, the artstyles just look the same across the board.

That's what kills it for me. They all just try to be "realistic" and nothing more.

Previous console cycles showed the leap while actually producing completely unique styles.

ahL9xqH.png
aVXe6VX.gif
kKRcNlS.png
zK4CQQ1.jpg

All 4 games were a step up from the NES, yet they also look different compared to one another.
There's plenty of the other PS5 games with different art styles

Astro's Playroom
Sackboy
Kena
Stray
Abe's Odyssey

To name a few

JordanN

Banned
There's plenty of the other PS5 games with different art styles

Astro's Playroom
Sackboy
Kena
Stray
Abe's Odyssey

To name a few
I'll give you Sackboy, Kena and Abe's Odyssey.

But two of those games are also available for last gen. :messenger_confused:
Stray as well is a cross-platform game.

Last edited:

jakinov

There will be a more noticeable difference in gameplay than in these cutscenes/cinematics.

If you believe in diminishing returns then you believe that at some point as you put in more effort you start to get less and less returns. Cutscenes/cinematics are going to be further along this curve because they are much easier to render, so you are going to see a much smaller return there. Gameplay being harder to render will appear earlier on curve where there's more return for any added efforts.

Hunnybun

I think what Sony showed so far, namely a borderline generational leap in fidelity at 4K resolution and with some ray tracing effects, is technically extremely impressive.

The problem is the games would look way more impressive visually if they used some kind of reconstruction to get to 4k, and ditched ray tracing, and then used that power for 60 fps or for higher overall fidelity.

So we're clearly getting a huge leap in power, but so far it seems like they're determined to waste it on resolution and RT.

Top Bottom