• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
But Astamon
is not really real anyway
. And Superior Mode was awesome.

I know, but it was fun while it lasted. Next season I want to see someone partner with a Phascomon so we can have some more awesome Astamon action.

As for Superior Mode; I just didn't feel it. It might've been cooler if they'd executed the concept better and given it a better design.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I thought it was better, I mean X7 is pretty good but I thought it made the coloring blend well. And it's supposed to be Xros War's swan song until the DLC season.

GamerSoul

i think they should put goku and batman and spider-man and mickey mouse in it

735be6e1_kermit-bale-nod.gif

Drago

Is there any serious reason as to why Geno is so highly requested?

...and why all fanart of him is so extremely anime?

I almost feel that the last part kind of works with the first, maybe he's viewed by his rabbid fans as some sort of cliche anime style badass which is so non Mario like he must be added because he's got the "cool"* factor no other Mario character has.

The reality is that Geno is bland as fuck.

*=not actually cool

I almost feel that the last part kind of works with the first, maybe he's viewed by his rabbid fans as some sort of cliche anime style badass which is so non Mario like he must be added because he's got the "cool"* factor no other Mario character has.

Rabbid fans?

rabbid.jpg

That explains the irrational desire for a character who was never relevant.

I've heard a bunch of requests for this character and I've never even seen what he looks like.
Because he's naked.
because he shoots cannonballs out of his elbow like a cool ass robot
Because he's a stoic, generic guy on a mission from a Square RPG. I dunno. Boring character.
I have no idea what to expect based on these responses. :p

Boney

Banned
I've heard a bunch of requests for this character and I've never even seen what he looks like.

I have no idea what to expect based on these responses. :p

he's pretty ugly in terms of character design (it's a wooden doll with a blue hood), but he was the character with best raw attack power in the game and had cool weapons like rocket punches and machine guns

GamerSoul

I never play mario RPG so I never cared about Geno. There were a lot of characters I never really payed attention to until I heard of them through Smash speculation but he is the one I can't get behind.

I never play mario RPG so I never cared about Geno. There were a lot of characters I never really payed attention to until I heard of them through Smash speculation but he is the one I can't get behind.

I've beaten Mario RPG more times than I can count, and I still don't give a fuck about Geno.

I played SMRPG, and I don't get the Geno fandom. He's a cool character, and I wouldn't mind him being in, but he's not the first thing that comes to mind when I want a character in this game. I don't recall him having an outstanding personality or deep character, so it must just be the wooden doll shooting laser beams effect.

I played SMRPG, and I don't get the Geno fandom. He's a cool character, and I wouldn't mind him being in, but he's not the first thing that comes to mind when I want a character in this game. I don't recall him having an outstanding personality or deep character, so it must just be the wooden doll shooting laser beams effect.

It could be the fact that SMRPG was a lot of people's (including myself) first RPG, so Geno's introduction really struck a chord with people. They really hammered it into you that Star Road was a big deal, and Geno constantly reminding people that his mission was to repair it helped make it seem like he too was a big deal.

His evolution Sealsdramon is a mook in Xros Wars. :p

I really don't care about the actual storyline/games/cartoon/whatever. I was talking from a design standpoint. Whoever did that is a fucking genius. It's so silly yet so badass.

I kinda agree. I actually played SMRPG back when Brawl was announced and people started speculating about new possible characters. People told me how amazing and great and wonderful SMRPG was and that I should totally play it and then I too would see the light and want to grind my body against Geno [/exaggerationmode]. ... Well, except for the body-grinding all of that was told to me.
So, I played it, and I guess it was due to the expectations I set thanks to people hyping it at me, but I was completely underwhelmed. It looks mediocre, sounds mediocre, plays mediocre, has a pretty mediocre story, mediocre jokes and mediocre characters. Everything about it just screamed mediocre to me. And believe me, it's not that I'm a gamerkid who can't appreciate classics, but at least admit that game hasn't aged well (obviously, this is not directed at GamerSoul, but at the people who jerk off at SMRPG).

'sides, and I already said that, Geno and his SMRPG character companions had the perfect opportunity to get exposure in the Squeenix/Mario crossover games Mario Basketball and Fortune Street. While there was one SMRPG song in one of the Fortune Street games, neither of them reference SMRPG otherwise.

I think that is a pretty obvious sign that IF Squeenix got approached by Nintendo for a Smash appearance, they would choose characters to represent their biggest franchises (Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest) instead of a character from an old one-shot game that both Squeenix and Nintendo don't seem to care about in the slightest.

Or, in short, Geno doesn't fucking matter, his time is way over. Get over it.

It could be the fact that SMRPG was a lot of people's (including myself) first RPG, so Geno's introduction really struck a chord with people. They really hammered it into you that Star Road was a big deal, and Geno constantly reminding people that his mission was to repair it helped make it seem like he too was a big deal.
I never thought of the game as a gateway to RPGs, but that makes good sense.

GamerSoul

I understand it a bit better now sense he has some sentimental value to people. Eh, he just doesn't strike me as interesting choice but I see some that have played it also feel that way.

I really don't care about the actual storyline/games/cartoon/whatever. I was talking from a design standpoint. Whoever did that is a fucking genius. It's so silly yet so badass.

I kinda agree. I actually played SMRPG back when Brawl was announced and people started speculating about new possible characters. People told me how amazing and great and wonderful SMRPG was and that I should totally play it and then I too would see the light and want to grind my body against Geno [/exaggerationmode]. ... Well, except for the body-grinding all of that was told to me.
So, I played it, and I guess it was due to the expectations I set thanks to people hyping it at me, but I was completely underwhelmed. It looks mediocre, sounds mediocre, plays mediocre, has a pretty mediocre story, mediocre jokes and mediocre characters. Everything about it just screamed mediocre to me. And believe me, it's not that I'm a gamerkid who can't appreciate classics, but at least admit that game hasn't aged well (obviously, this is not directed at GamerSoul, but at the people who jerk off at SMRPG).

'sides, and I already said that, Geno and his SMRPG character companions had the perfect opportunity to get exposure in the Squeenix/Mario crossover games Mario Basketball and Fortune Street. While there was one SMRPG song in one of the Fortune Street games, neither of them reference SMRPG otherwise.

I think that is a pretty obvious sign that IF Squeenix got approached by Nintendo for a Smash appearance, they would choose characters to represent their biggest franchises (Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest) instead of a character from an old one-shot game that both Squeenix and Nintendo don't seem to care about in the slightest.

Or, in short, Geno doesn't fucking matter, his time is way over. Get over it.

A lot of good points. I actually went back and played Wario Land 1&2 when I heard of Syrup during Brawl's speculation. Those games were pretty good and fun. I also remember Wario Land Shake It being revealed around the time I was enjoying some Wario so I was even more interested in Syrup's chances since they decided to bring her back after like a decade. It's still not looking too good. Same for Geno, SE could have brought him back but they never decided to so his chances over other contenders are not good at all.

Murrah

Banned
Geno's all right and I wouldn't mind him being in, but nostalgia aside both the character and SMRPG itself are wicked overrated and have been outdone. If any badass with a heart of gold from the Mario RPGs deserves to get in it's this guy

Boss Doggie

Oh I know, I was just saying :p

His evolutions are shit though, which is disappointing. Instead of getting a full Rambo dragon we got a shitty robot, a guy being a tank, and some others.

The reality is that Geno is bland as fuck.

*=not actually cool

Because do you want Waluigi, Toad or Bowser Jr. as an alternative?

A Paper Mario partner, Fawful or Rosalina would be perfectly apt alternatives of course but Geno would at least be a creative character compared to the fare more likely Mario candidates. Plus Geno's Woods is a kickass theme.

A Paper Mario partner, Fawful or Rosalina would be perfectly apt alternatives of course but Geno would at least be a creative character compared to the fare more likely Mario candidates. Plus Geno's Woods is a kickass theme.

Yeah, i'd take Toad or Bowser Jr.
Never forget when Toad was actually his own character!
And you can still have beware of the forests mushrooms or whatever it was called without Geno.
If we get an rpg character Fawful would have to be the guy, he's been in all 3 M&L games so yeah.

Yes. Even Waluigi is a more interesting character and has more unique abilities than Geno. Besides, it doesn't even matter, because Geno is not part of the Mario universe. He is owned by Square-enix, and they continuously refused to use him in the Mario crossovers they developed for Nintendo (in which Waluigi, Toad and Bowser Jr. appear!).

but Geno would at least be a creative character compared to the fare more likely Mario candidates.

No. No he wouldn't. All the characters you mentioned are more interesting and creative. Additionally, all possible Square-enix candidates are far more interesting and creative. Including Sephiroth or Tidus. There, I said it.

Fuck Geno.

Plus Geno's Woods is a kickass theme.

It's called "Beware the Forest's Mushrooms", and is technically not Geno's theme. It's just the area he is found in.
But I do admit it's like, the only good thing about the game because all the other music is pretty shitty.

Yes. Even Waluigi is a more interesting character and has more unique abilities than Geno.

No. No he wouldn't. All the characters you mentioned are more interesting and creative. Additionally, all possible Square-enix candidates are far more interesting and creative. Including Sephiroth or Tidus. There, I said it.

LOLLLLLLLLL. Toad, Jr, and Waluigi more interesting than Geno? That's a good one! Sure Geno isn't likely, but give me a break.. that is just ridiculous.

Boney

Banned
for someone to come to the conclusion that Tidus is better than anything, he must've made every life choice incorrectly.

for someone to come to the conclusion that Tidus is better than anything, he must've made every life choice incorrectly.

Tidus at least has ... some sort of sex appeal if you tape his mouth shut. Geno doesn't even have that.
And I enjoyed FF10 more than SMRPG.

Don't get me wrong, Tidus is terrible. TERRIBLE. But he'd still be a better choice than Geno. Doesn't matter, ofc, since Tidus will never be in Smash. And neither will Geno. So all this talk is moot anyway.

Boss Doggie

Actually considering what Geno showed in SMRPG he is definitely a boring pick. All he does is shoot pellets or fire a laser beam with eyes. He doesn't have the advantage of Samus having a huge arsenal of abilities or with Snake having a bunch of equipment.

Then again blandness begets blandness.

I finished SMRPG, I barely reached the halfway point of FF10, I still prefer Tidus and his forced laugh to Geno who is devoid of any character at all, at least he had good moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom