• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyeforce

Here's a roster I made for Smash 4:

IconMario.png
IconDonkeyKong.png
IconLink.png
IconSamusZS.png
IconKirby.png
IconFox.png
IconPikachu.png
IconMarth.png
IconMrGW.png
IconSnake.png

IconLuigi.png
IconDiddyKong.png
IconZeldaSheik.png
IconRidley.png
IconMetaKnight.png
IconFalco.png
IconPokemon.png
IconRoy.png
IconIceClimber.png
IconSonic.png

IconPeach.png
IconKingKRool.png
IconGanondorf.png
IconPit.png
IconKingDedede.png
IconWolf.png
IconJigglypuff.png
IconIke.png
IconSaki.png
IconMegaMan.png

IconBowser.png
IconYoshi.png
IconGhirahim.png
IconPalutena.png
IconPrinceFluff.png
IconCFalcon.png
IconMewtwo.png
IconNess.png
IconIsaac.png
IconSlime.png

IconPaperMario.png
IconKamek.png
IconToonLink.png
IconLittleMac.png
IconOlimar.png
IconBShadow.png
IconLucario.png
IconLucas.png
IconChibiRobo.png
IconPacMan.png

IconWaluigi.png
IconWario.png
IconTakamaru.png
IconVillager.png
IconStarfy.png
IconROB.png
IconZoroark.png
IconAndy.png
IconKarateJoe.png
IconMii.png

Probably a bit too many characters, I know. But I think this is a pretty reasonable roster if there were to be 60 characters (or 64 if you count Sheik, Zero Suit Samus, and Pokémon Trainer's Pokémon).

Originally I had less characters than this (50/54), but I added an extra row so the characters lined up with their franchises better, lol.

Who is Takamaru/Saki/Karate Joe/Chibi-Robo?

Takamaru is from The Mystery of Murasame Castle, an NES game that shares its engine with the first Zelda (just like Metroid and Kid Icarus share an engine). The game is a classic to Japanese gamers.

Saki is from the first Sin and Punishment, an N64 rail shooter that was Japan-only until it came out on the Virtual Console.

Chibi-Robo is from Chibi-Robo for the GameCube.

Karate Joe is from the Rhythm Heaven games.

Sonic is extremely niche in Japan. NA/EU mattered... at least for his sake.

I'm pretty sure he's not that obscure in Japan. He might not be as popular there is as he is / was in the US or Europe, but he's hardly a niche character.

As I suspected. "The staff" is simply a fig leaf for Krystal fans' sexual attraction to a scantily clad furry.
*Clears throat

What did I type that sounds like that?
"there's a nice chance that she would just have a move-set based on Fox's with Wolf-Level differences and sweet female animation"

Looking at the StarFox characters in brawl you can tell that each of them has a difference in animation based on their physicality and personality. Fox is the default speedy lil aggressive type, Falco is more slick and bird-like while still having a fighting style close to Fox as they are partners on the same side and Wolf is much more beast/ animal like (sometimes looking like he could start running on all 4s) and is more brutal/ menacing in his fighting style. All 3 look very dynamic and great in motion.
So logically what would Krystal have? "Sweet female animation"? Sounds like a safe bet.

But NOOOOO, if I have learned anything from this topic it's that you clearly know everything. So I didn't say that because I'm an animation lover who is also trying to become a game animator or because I actually really enjoy animating female characters ... nope, I clearly said that because I'm sexually attracted to a blue fox apparently. Oh, and there's no possible way that I could actually LIKE SF adventures and think Krystal was an interesting character from that game ... nope, not at all.

Palutena and Medusa pretty much stole what little thunder Krystal did have. And when the OVAs and Kid Icarus Uprising are released, they will instantly become the most requested female characters for Smash 4. And oh be sure, they will be citing "the staff" for these characters as well. Also, you are pretty much unaware of how Palutena and Medusa will possibly be utilizing their staffs in Kid Icarus Uprising, and could very well utilizing in the "particular" manner that you are thinking of (of which even Waddle Dee does).
1: I already called out the staff as being just as weak of an excuse as the "well, these 2 characters have staffs ...". Do Link/ Marth/ MK/ Ike/ Pitt take away from each other because the all use swords of different types? Do any of the fight alike?

2: You clearly don't understand the process they go through to decide how a character moves or attacks. Think of Zelda and Sheik ... Zelda is very regal when she moves and uses magic/ long ranged magic as she is a princess and acts like one where as Sheik is a ninja and fights as such. Suggesting that Greek Goddesses dressed in heavily decorated dresses holding large decorative magical staffs are somehow going to be Shaolin stick masters (disregarding all the info we have on them from their games ... which is pretty much all magic as they are both rulers or angel land and attack each other with magical spells).

3: Waddle Dee aint in smash bros so IDK what that's about.

SmithnCo

Saki is from Sin and Punishment. Chibi-Robo is from... Chibi-Robo. Chibi-Robo is actually really quirky and fun.

Takamaru is from a japan-only famicom samurai game. Karate Joe is rhythm heaven.

The more I think about it, the more I want Chibi-Robo. But I don't know if they want to make any more of those or think he is popular enough... Should at least be an assist.

Snakey

I am posting my roster again because I want to see more opinions:

Here is my roster for Smash 4:

IconMario.png
IconDonkeyKong.png
IconLink.png
IconSamus.png
IconKirby.png
IconFox.png
IconPikachu.png
IconMarth.png
IconMrGW.png
IconMii.png

IconLuigi.png
IconDiddyKong.png
IconZeldaSheik.png
IconRidley.png
IconMetaKnight.png
IconFalco.png
IconPTrainer.png
IconIke.png
IconIceClimber.png
IconSnake.png

IconPeach.png
IconKingKRool.png
IconGanondorf.png
IconPit.png
IconKingDedede.png
IconWolf.png
IconLucario.png
IconRoy.png
IconROB.png
IconSonic.png

IconBowser.png
IconYoshi.png
IconToonLink.png
IconPalutena.png
IconOlimar.png
IconCFalcon.png
IconJigglypuff.png
IconNess.png
IconTakamaru.png
IconMegaMan.png

IconToad.png
IconWario.png
IconSaki.png
IconMedusa.png
IconStarfy.png
IconBShadow.png
IconMewtwo.png
IconLucas.png
IconLittleMac.png
IconRandom.png

- All characters from Brawl return
- Mewtwo and Roy are brought back
- 12 newcomers (Ridley, K. Rool, Toad, Black Shadow, Palutena, Medusa, Little Mac, Takamaru, Saki, Starfy, Mii, and Mega Man). Newcomer distribution is equally divided between new series and newcomers for veteran series.
- 49 slots plus random icon (50 slots total I guess).
- 53 total playable characters (a 14 character jump over Brawl).

From Smash 64 to Melee, there was a 14 character increase, and from Melee to Brawl there was a 13 character increase. So this 14 character increase is based off of what I expect at the most.

The only two characters I am iffy about are Saki and Starfy. When EAD's next IP is unveiled, I will swap one of them out for him/her/it. However, other than that I feel pretty good about the rest of the roster.

Jezan

*Clears throat

What did I type that sounds like that?
"there's a nice chance that she would just have a move-set based on Fox's with Wolf-Level differences and sweet female animation"

Looking at the StarFox characters in brawl you can tell that each of them has a difference in animation based on their physicality and personality. Fox is the default speedy lil aggressive type, Falco is more slick and bird-like while still having a fighting style close to Fox as they are partners on the same side and Wolf is much more beast/ animal like (sometimes looking like he could start running on all 4s) and is more brutal/ menacing in his fighting style. All 3 look very dynamic and great in motion.
So logically what would Krystal have? "Sweet female animation"? Sounds like a safe bet.

But NOOOOO, if I have learned anything from this topic it's that you clearly know everything. So I didn't say that because I'm an animation lover who is also trying to become a game animator or because I actually really enjoy animating female characters ... nope, I clearly said that because I'm sexually attracted to a blue fox apparently. Oh, and there's no possible way that I could actually LIKE SF adventures and think Krystal was an interesting character from that game ... nope, not at all.

1: I already called out the staff as being just as weak of an excuse as the "well, these 2 characters have staffs ...". Do Link/ Marth/ MK/ Ike/ Pitt take away from each other because the all use swords of different types? Do any of the fight alike?

2: You clearly don't understand the process they go through to decide how a character moves or attacks. Think of Zelda and Sheik ... Zelda is very regal when she moves and uses magic/ long ranged magic as she is a princess and acts like one where as Sheik is a ninja and fights as such. Suggesting that Greek Goddesses dressed in heavily decorated dresses holding large decorative magical staffs are somehow going to be Shaolin stick masters (disregarding all the info we have on them from their games ... which is pretty much all magic as they are both rulers or angel land and attack each other with magical spells).

High five!

Smash animations are awesome! Sometimes I just play in slow-mo just to watch the awesomeness. <3

Also, that's why there can be 2 katana users, there can be many different moves, specially because Lyn would have the sweet female animations, not the Takamaru guy, he would have manly animations :p

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

- 12 newcomers (Ridley, K. Rool, Toad, Black Shadow, Palutena, Medusa, Little Mac, Takamaru, Saki, Starfy, Mii, and Mega Man). Newcomer distribution is equally divided between new series and newcomers for veteran series.

From Smash 64 to Melee, there was a 14 character increase, and from Melee to Brawl there was a 13 character increase. So this 14 character increase is based off of what I expect at the most.

The only two characters I am iffy about are Saki and Starfy. When EAD's next IP is unveiled, I will swap one of them out for him/her/it. However, other than that I feel pretty good about the rest of the roster.

This roster is more likely to be 90-100% right. I love it but I would love to see Isaac and Hunting Dog (Duck Hunt Dog) to be on the roster. Good choices tho.

I need to do my list soon, and btw you are more likely to win $20 dollars contest if there is wii u point card.

KevinCow

Banned
Krystal would've been a good addition in Melee, since SFA was a pretty big upcoming Gamecube release at the time.

She would've been a decent choice in Brawl, with the way the series tends to give the previous generation strong representation. Mario got his FLUDD and a Sunshine stage, Metroid got a Prime stage, Zelda got a WW an TP stage. Krystal and a Dinosaur Planet stage wouldn't have been all that surprising.

But her time has passed. If she was gonna get in, she'd be in Brawl. It wouldn't really make sense to add her now.

Tyeforce

IconMario.png
IconDonkeyKong.png
IconLink.png
IconSamus.png
IconKirby.png
IconFox.png
IconPikachu.png
IconMarth.png
IconMrGW.png
IconMii.png

IconLuigi.png
IconDiddyKong.png
IconZeldaSheik.png
IconRidley.png
IconMetaKnight.png
IconFalco.png
IconPTrainer.png
IconIke.png
IconIceClimber.png
IconSnake.png

IconPeach.png
IconKingKRool.png
IconGanondorf.png
IconPit.png
IconKingDedede.png
IconWolf.png
IconLucario.png
IconRoy.png
IconROB.png
IconSonic.png

IconBowser.png
IconYoshi.png
IconToonLink.png
IconPalutena.png
IconOlimar.png
IconCFalcon.png
IconJigglypuff.png
IconNess.png
IconTakamaru.png
IconMegaMan.png

IconToad.png
IconWario.png
IconSaki.png
IconMedusa.png
IconStarfy.png
IconBShadow.png
IconMewtwo.png
IconLucas.png
IconLittleMac.png
IconRandom.png

I like yours, it's actually pretty similar to mine but with less characters. Also, seeing your roster is what gave me the idea to post mine, lol.

The only character that I have a problem with in your roster (and the only character on your roster that isn't in mine) is Palutena. She's already represented as Pit's Final Smash, and while I know that can always be changed, I believe that role suits her better than as a playable character. After all, all she really does is aid Pit from the heavens. She never really interacts with anything directly, making her more of an assist character than anything else. I just don't see the point in making her playable, but that's just me I guess. Even putting Medusa on the roster was iffy for me, but I figured if Kid Icarus gets a second character, it's going to be either her or a new character from Uprising.

EDIT: Oh, I missed Toad on your roster too. Like Palutena, he's already represented in Smash as Peach's forward special move, which of course could always be changed but I don't see very many possibilities for a moveset for him, at least not a very interesting one. They could make a moveset based off of the spin-off Mario games he's been in, but I think Waluigi would be a better choice for that.

Snakey

Looks like I am making the Krystal Defense Force get huffy.

Also, you don't even know how Palutena and Medusa will fight with their staffs, so for you to make an assumption that they won't utilize them in the way that its utilized in SFA, is pretty reaching to say the least. I am eagerly waiting for the OVAs, especially considering that half of them center around Palutena and Medusa.

On Waddle Dee (Bandanna Dee), he does fight with his spear in the manner you are thinking of (poking and twirling), and to top it all off, the game he makes his grand appearance in (Return to Dream Land) is a return to form for Kirby in both sales and reception (unlike the Starfox games with Krystal which saw both a massive decrease in both sales and acclaims from the series's SNES/N64 installments).

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Looks like I am making the Krystal Defense Force get huffy.

Also, you don't even know how Palutena and Medusa will fight with their staffs, so for you to make an assumption that they won't utilize them in the way that its utilized in SFA, is pretty reaching to say the least. I am eagerly waiting for the OVAs, especially considering that half of them center around Palutena and Medusa.

On Waddle Dee (Bandanna Dee), he does fight with his spear in the manner you are thinking of (poking and twirling), and to top it all off, the game he makes his grand appearance in (Return to Dream Land) is a return to form for Kirby in both sales and reception (unlike the Starfox games with Krystal which saw both a massive decrease in both sales and acclaims from the series's SNES/N64 installments).

I don't want to start any drama or war but I prefer to see Prince Fluff over Waddle Dee/Bandanna Dee.

Snakey

I don't want to start any drama or war but I prefer to see Prince Fluff over Waddle Dee/Bandanna Dee.

I don't think we are going to get a fourth Kirby character for Smash 4, but if we do get one, it will most likely be Waddle Dee due to how well Return to Dream Land has sold and been received in Japan.

I think Sakurai sees the only major Kirby characters as being Kirby, Meta Knight, and King Dedede, and he will probably just implement Bandanna Dee as an Assist Trophy.

I do see the possibility though for a stage based off of the world of Kirby's Epic Yarn.

Either way I don't care about possible Kirby newcomer characters, so I don't care that you desire Prince Fluff. However, I just made this post to say that we probably won't get a newcomer for this series.

MisterHero

there's a few to several differences between staffs, partisans, and spears so I don't think those characters need to cancel each other out

Medusa can be a story mode villain. Paletuna, MAYBE she can be a character. They need to improve Pit's Centurion Army Final Smash.

I want Ashley to represent Warioware, Inc.. She can have a wand. Plus, she's the best female WW developer.

even better than Mona

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I don't think we are going to get a fourth Kirby character for Smash 4, but if we do get one, it will most likely be Waddle Dee due to how well Return to Dream Land has sold and been received in Japan.

I think Sakurai sees the only major Kirby characters as being Kirby, Meta Knight, and King Dedede, and he will probably just implement Bandanna Dee as an Assist Trophy.

I do see the possibility though for a stage based off of the world of Kirby's Epic Yarn.

Either way I don't care about possible Kirby newcomer characters, so I don't care that you desire Prince Fluff. However, I just made this post to say that we probably won't get a newcomer for this series.

Actually, I don't want any more kirby newcomer for SSB4 but if we have to pick one then I would pick Prince Fluff. Just Saying.

Snakey

This roster is more likely to be 90-100% right. I love it but I would love to see Isaac and Hunting Dog (Duck Hunt Dog) to be on the roster. Good choices tho. .

Thank you for the compliment.

I was thinking about Isaac and Duck Hunt Dog, but I instead went with Saki and Starfy. I thought Starfy with five games under his belt had a higher worth, and I thought Saki was more interesting than Isaac.

KevinCow

Banned

Yeah. I think the core Kirby franchise is pretty well covered by the main three. I'd much rather see Prince Fluff to represent Epic Yarn. All the yarn transformations and animations are way too creative and unique to not build a character around.

And a stage, I swear if we don't at least get an Epic Yarn stage...

totowhoa

Banned
Kirby is a really boring character IMO and he's been there since day one... I'd love it if they replaced traditional Kirby with Yarn Kirby with an all new move set, or replace King Dedede with Prince Fluff (even though I think PF is a bit of a crappy character).

Snakey

Kirby is a really boring character IMO and he's been there since day one... I'd love it if they replaced traditional Kirby with Yarn Kirby with an all new move set, or replace King Dedede with Prince Fluff (even though I think PF is a bit of a crappy character).

Meta Knight and King Dedede will never be cut. They are Sakurai's babies.

SmithnCo

I'd much prefer Paper Mario as a new Mario rep, that series really needs some recognition in Smash.

there's a few to several differences between staffs, partisans, and spears so I don't think those characters need to cancel each other out

Medusa can be a story mode villain. Paletuna, MAYBE she can be a character. They need to improve Pit's Centurion Army Final Smash.

I want Ashley to represent Warioware, Inc.. She can have a wand. Plus, she's the best female WW developer.

even better than Mona

I think a WW-exclusive character could be cool too. Jimmy, 9-Volt, and Ashley could all potentially work well.

I think Medusa has a better shot of being in than Palutena, who seems to mainly use Pit to do her fighting for her. I could see either getting in but I can't really see both making it.

I think Medusa has a better shot of being in than Palutena, who seems to mainly use Pit to do her fighting for her. I could see either getting in but I can't really see both making it.

At one point you could have said the same thing about Zelda, and she pretty much got into SSB before Ganondorf.

Bored and MS Paint'd up some of a Tingle move-set. If I were designing Tingle, he'd be a lightweight with awesome recovery (because there are so few of those, right). He has two Balloon Fighter-esque balloons for his recover, which allow him infinite jumps. If one balloon is popped, his jumps are half as high and fast. His Standard B pumps his balloons (necessary if his balloons are popped, otherwise he can't recover) but if over inflated it will explode, damaging Tingle and any nearby players. His Forward B is a moving dust cloud that has a slight vacuum property, and damages players/items that it comes into contact with (can't be recovered out of, like a lot of forward moving B specials). Down B is similar to Link's (bombs) but can be used in conjunction with his recovery to drop bombs straight down.

uKp5d.jpg

Snakey

will paulina or was her name paula be added? the girl who was a painter in kirby 64 :O

You are thinking of Adeline. She was in Kirby's Dream Land 3 and Kirby 64. However, after that, she made no more appearances in the Kirby series.

Pauline is the name of girl in the original Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong 94, and Mario vs. Donkey Kong games.

Paula is the name of one of Ness's allies in EarthBound.

Bored and MS Paint'd up some of a Tingle move-set. If I were designing Tingle, he'd be a lightweight with awesome recovery (because there are so few of those, right). He has two Balloon Fighter-esque balloons for his recover, which allow him infinite jumps. If one balloon is popped, his jumps are half as high and fast. His Standard B pumps his balloons (necessary if his balloons are popped, otherwise he can't recover) but if over inflated it will explode, damaging Tingle and any nearby players. His Forward B is a moving dust cloud that has a slight vacuum property, and damages players/items that it comes into contact with (can't be recovered out of, like a lot of forward moving B specials). Down B is similar to Link's (bombs) but can be used in conjunction with his recovery to drop bombs straight down.

uKp5d.jpg

you forgot the move where he kooloo limpahs a bitch and dresses bowser up in green tights with red underwear on the outside

Triton55

I really think you all should prepare for the possibility of there being less than the standard 13 or so newcomers. Brawl already got pretty much all of the obvious characters anyway, and based on the Iwata Asks from last E3 it sounds like the emphasis this time is going to be more on mixing things up, customization, and cross-platform play. There will be a at least a few more, sure, and maybe there will be more 3rd party characters, but basically I wouldn't grow too attached to any roster until we've seen more of the direction the game is headed in.

Snakey

I really think you all should prepare for the possibility of there being less than the standard 13 or so newcomers. Brawl already got pretty much all of the obvious characters anyway, and based on the Iwata Asks from last E3 it sounds like the emphasis this time is going to be more on mixing things up, customization, and cross-platform play. There will be a at least a few more, sure, and maybe there will be more 3rd party characters, but basically I wouldn't grow too attached to any roster until we've seen more of the direction the game is headed in.

I have been saying this for a while. My roster that I made pretty much had this in mind. There is going to be a gimmick to Smash 4 besides characters that draws massive hype to it.

Vidiot

The only character that I have a problem with in your roster (and the only character on your roster that isn't in mine) is Palutena. She's already represented as Pit's Final Smash, and while I know that can always be changed, I believe that role suits her better than as a playable character. After all, all she really does is aid Pit from the heavens. She never really interacts with anything directly, making her more of an assist character than anything else. I just don't see the point in making her playable, but that's just me I guess. Even putting Medusa on the roster was iffy for me, but I figured if Kid Icarus gets a second character, it's going to be either her or a new character from Uprising.

I thought like that at first too, but Peach and Zelda don't do much in their games either. I think it all comes down to how popular and important to their series the character is. Palutena seems like a popular choice and she's obviously very important to the Kid Icarus series. Though I do agree Medusa seems like the more likely pick.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Nothing's personal but if I don't get more than 12 newcomers and at least 48-50 characters; along with good amount of stages. and gameplay is exactly same as brawl. I don't know if I will buy.

I don't play a lot with Brawl compare I did with Melee in short time. Half of my friends lost interesting in Brawl and stayed with Melee. I know it might be similar to brawl or worse, so who know.

I am buying the game because I want more characters and stages. I know it might be brainless of me to say that but Single mode in Brawl have no replay value, so I never touch them ever again since I beat them in first few weeks of release date.

I hope that they wouldn't drop their balls to do something different. I thought they are going to ocus on Customization and Mixing things up on 3DS awhile Wii U will be classic SSB.

Anth0ny

Nothing's personal but if I don't get more than 12 newcomers and at least 48-50 characters; along with good amount of stages. and gameplay is exactly same as brawl. I don't know if I will buy.

Yeah right.

He said it won't play exactly like Brawl, but don't expect a return to form (Melee).

The only reason I don't expect more than 12 characters is because there are no interesting characters left to add. We're scratching the bottom of the barrel at this point.

Stages, on the other hand... could go on forever. Hopefully there's tons.

I hope they spend more dev time on flawless netcode and balancing than stuff like single player, or getting 60 characters in there.

key

Am I the only that thinks the Pokemon trainer should have some new pokemon this time around? Perhaps the gen 2 starters? I love me some Totodile.

GamerSoul

Yeah right.

He said it won't play exactly like Brawl, but don't expect a return to form (Melee).

The only reason I don't expect more than 12 characters is because there are no interesting characters left to add. We're scratching the bottom of the barrel at this point.

I hope they spend more dev time on flawless netcode and balancing than stuff like single player, or getting 60 characters in there.

I don't expect that many newcomers but I think there are a lot to choose from that can change things up for the better.

And something tells me single player will be very important again at least in the 3DS version. Hopefully they don't try to rehash the same story that Brawl had and make something more interesting and with more Nintendo characters and worlds instead of wasting time creating and modeling all those random forgettable enemies.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Yeah right.

I don't expect it to become next Melee but at least, better than Brawl. I want to get rid of floaty feeling and tripping. Also It will depend on how much Wii U would cost us. They said it wouldn't be cheap this time so we'll see.

Well, sad thing about characters. I can think of many interesting and unique characters that would surprise the players and fans. I hope that they are not trying too hard to add all mainstream characters because they felt that they have to. I preferred that they would focus on interesting characters that would be fun to play with.

I meant there are many retro and new characters that could work for SSB4, so I disagreed with your no interesting characters. Just that people are expecting popular characters so if we are going to pay attention to more series then we would have more choices than stuck with popularity bottom of barrel.

Snakey

Yeah right.

I agree with this. There are so few notable Nintendo characters left to add at this point.

However, the talk of "customization" perhaps makes me think that we get to select the moves for characters. Is this is the case, then perhaps its possible that we may not even get the 50 slot roster that I had on my proposed roster.

A Smash Bros. game where we get to customize the moves for each fighter (meaning pick and choose from a select list of moves that were made for each character) might mean that Smash 4's character count could be around the same size as Brawl's.

However, I am hoping that we still get a modest roster increase over Brawl (13 or 14), and that there are minimal or no cuts.

I still think a collectible card or figurine tie in for Smash 4 with the Wii U's NFC feature would make Nintendo major money. Sakurai already seems to be exploring this the AR cards with Kid Icarus Uprising.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I agree with this. There are so few notable Nintendo characters left to add at this point.

However, the talk of "customization" perhaps makes me think that we get to select the moves for characters. Is this is the case, then perhaps its possible that we may not even get the 50 slot roster that I had on my proposed roster.

A Smash Bros. game where we get to customize the moves for each fighter (meaning pick and choose from a select list of moves that were made for each character) might mean that Smash 4's character count could be around the same size as Brawl's.

However, I am hoping that we still get a modest roster increase over Brawl (13 or 14), and that there are minimal or no cuts.

Actually, I believe that customization only apply to 3DS, but I could be wrong. I thought they are trying to separate single players and multiplayers by 3DS and Wii U.

I wonder if that customization could apply to Mii where we could level up our Mii and customized them then transfer them to Wii U. Friends can bring their own mii over the house and challenge friends for mii battles.

It would be easier for them to ban Mii for tournaments because it is customized characters, and focus on standard fighters.

P.S. Snakey, I know it might be too much work for you but can you edit your OP with all informations from Sakurai and Iwata as possible so it would be easier for us to keep track of information, tease and etc.

Snakey

Actually, I believe that customization only apply to 3DS, but I could be wrong. I thought they are trying to separate single players and multiplayers by 3DS and Wii U.

I wonder if that customization could apply to Mii where we could level up our Mii and customized them then transfer them to Wii U. Friends can bring their own mii over the house and challenge friends for mii battles.

It would be easier for them to ban Mii for tournaments because it is customized characters, and focus on standard fighters.

P.S. Snakey, I know it might be too much work for you but can you edit your OP with all informations from Sakurai and Iwata as possible so it would be easier for us to keep track of information, tease and etc.

Yes, the whole customization thing could mean anything. We know almost nothing about Smash 4 and the direction it will take.

Also, I am not the one who made this topic, so I can't edit the OP.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Yes, the whole customization thing could mean anything. We know almost nothing about Smash 4 and the direction it will take.

Also, I am not the one who made this topic, so I can't edit the OP.

My apologizes! I was not paying attention to whole name, because I just glanced at first few letters, Snake; and thought it was you who created the OP.

http://ds.ign.com/articles/117/1174428p1.html
http://andriasang.com/comw97/iwata_asks_smash_bros/
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/23/smash-bros-for-wii-u-and-3ds-several-years-away-sakurai-says/
http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/117/1174797p1.html

Azure J

Fuck images, I got text bitches:

Mario
Luigi
Peach
Toad
Daisy

Bowser

Link
Zelda/Shiek
Ganondorf
?

Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Dixie Kong/King K. Rool (Pick One, though I like/want both)

Kirby
Dedede
Metaknight
Prince Fluff

Fox
Falco
Wolf

Pit
Palutena
Medusa

Samus
Ridley

Wario
Captain Syrup
Ashley

Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo
Lucario
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Rival/Team Member

Yoshi
Kamek

Captain Falcon
Black Shadow

Marth
Ike
?

Ness
Lucas
Kumatora (only mentioning this, I know it's a slim to nothing chance :( )

One offs:

Olimar
Mr. Game & Watch
Ice Climbers
R.O.B.
Mike Jones
Takamaru
Lip
Issac
Saki/Isa/Katchi (Pick One)
Little Mac
Ray Mk. III

Sonic
Snake
Megaman
Simon Belmont
Neku Sakuraba/Chrono/Red Mage/Black Mage/DQ Hero/??? (Pick One, ordered in my personal preference)

Notes:

- Fuck your assumed logic, game needs more cowbell characters and even if it's just speculation, we shouldn't settle because of precedents. :p

- Whenever Smash 4 rosters start being talked about, I realize that with so many of my picks being moderately popular to fitting some sort of niche not yet represented in the games, it's more about when than if regarding their inclusion. Still, nothing's ever set in stone until release day.

- Assume all characters from Brawl make it back in with the exception of Toon Link (not because I feel like he's getting axed or should be, but because I would love to see a more full featured and competitive Link with an alt costume before that). Zelda series is one series that's always tough to think of a good newcomer for even if alongside Mario and Pokemon, it is the only one that can get away with having more reps than usual.

- Mario in my roster might be dominating the roster in sheer numbers, but seriously, I've wanted Toad from forever ago. I want a nimble speedy "catch 'n carry" type of character, someone with moves more like Diddy Kong's side B but on greater scales. There's room enough for Toad to be interpreted as such between his SMB2 incarnation and notes on it, I just hope someone's creative enough to play with the idea. Plus you all know it'd be damn hilarious watching him suplex someone like Bowser or dashing full screen carrying Dedede while he struggled to break free. :lol

Daisy is my other pick from this series for a number of reasons. Playing as the tomboy foil to Peach's princess (and completing a Mario princess power duo), representing all of the Mario Sports, Kart & Party titles with emphasis on moves that take major inspiration from Strikers (especially), Tennis, and Golf, bringing in potential for a Sarasaland level and Tatanga as a story mode boss, "Hi, I'm Daisy!" and more

- Pokemon is tough. I don't know nearly enough about popularity or recent events to even hazard guesses at it, which is why most times when I do this, I just leave it blank. That being said, Mewtwo should come back and the Pokemon Trainer idea is so cool, I feel like there should be one more slot like that dedicated to a Rival, Champion or one of the villain Team members for different 'mon to shine and the Trainer to have a counterpick.

- Kamek seriously needs to happen. :lol

- Wario gets both Captain Syrup and Ashley to tie him to Wario Land and Ware respectively. Captain Syrup brings a inverted Olimar style of gameplay where her help (Maple Syrup Gang) brings her opponents to herself for her to deal with and could have any number of Final Smashes (or whatever the equivalent in Smash 4). I'm personally fond of summoning the genie from Wario Land 1 to raze the stage temporarily. Ashley gets a pick because out of all the characters in Wario Ware and what I know of it, she's the only one with any kind of fighting viability. (Not like that's all that should make a character Smash worthy, but seriously, Smash is starved for witches and magics, this was an easy choice.)

- Kid Icarus is blowing the fuck up. Not only am I expecting both Palutena and Medusa to join on merits of being part of the primary three from the series' inception and bringing a secondary character and villain to the fold, I'm expecting Sakurai to go all out making cool staff based movesets with opposed natures. Palutena could be all about defensive styles using the staff to block and poke with the added caveat of barrier based fighting (think creating barriers for locking people inside/"capture bubbles", pushing them forward, reflection/refraction of projectiles, etc) while Medusa brings offensive staff use and straight up nutty uses of magic to the game.

- I'm cool with Black Shadow coming in as a F-Zero villain and I'm also cool with him getting Ganondorf's move set only if Ganondorf keeps Flame Choke (Side B), Warlock Punch, and Thunderstomp (Down Air). Ganon's needed a better emphasis on his, you know, warlock side since forever and if this can expedite that process while giving us a cool new character for the roster, I'm totally down for it.

- Fire Emblem is proving to be a hard one to call. Marth is forever a part of the cast (thank God), and Ike is cool, there aren't a lot of heavy sword users in the series and he has potential to be great with new tweaks. The issue here comes from how they handle the series in terms of a newcomer. Lyn used to be my top pick because I had an itch for a quick draw style of swordsman/woman but with the advent of Takamaru upon us, there's a good chance that they'll opt for him with an experiment in that style. (Also she's apparently like really really unpopular in Japan as much as I hate the character popularity = chance at roster status debate.) Micahah was another pick for simply bringing something other than a sword to the series from FE, but again, unpopular and her story was more of a side story to Ike's greater story in the PoR-RD games. I always thought Shiida would be cool for a dynamic duo with precedence as she is Marth's wife and she also brings a pole-arm/halberd to things. On the other hand, I bet no one knows who she is outside of FE heads, that and if a precedence was to be set, it would have been done so in Melee with regards to them being a dynamic duo. Finally Roy. He was cool in Melee, cloneness aside, but relevance (as much as it shouldn't matter) and the reception to his game kinda make me second guess his chances.

- Obvious one off newcomers are obvious. Also, if the Japanese can rally and get so many JPN only characters from Nintendo's back catalogue into this series, it makes no sense to say that we can't do the same for Mike and the StarTropics series.

Edit: Totally didn't think of Prince Fluff, a character like that has amazing potential even if I feel like the Kirby series has all of its major players covered at this point.

Snakey

Finally Roy. He was cool in Melee, cloneness aside, but relevance (as much as it shouldn't matter) and the reception to his game kinda make me second guess his chances.

I mentioned earlier that FE6 was the third highest selling game in the series in Japan. It is not on the same level of popularity as FE3 and FE4 over there (but then again no other FE game is), however, it is certainly quite popular in Japan (Roy at least is the most popular character to originate from the GBA Fire Emblem games in Japan). Roy's game was certainly received well receieved. I think even on GameFAQs (lol) the only Fire Emblem games that are rated higher than it are FE4 and FE7. I have not seen any indication that FE6 was seen poorly, yet I keep hearing people cite it. I keep asking for proof, but instead they simply relent that it was something they overheard on in a message board conversation.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Also I would like to bring it up that they found roy data in Brawl disc, so he was cut off due to time restriction so I hope that they would have time to put Roy in.

That's why they tweaked Marth's moveset so Roy can be little different but it didn't happens. What a shame....

Azure J

I mentioned earlier that FE6 was the third highest selling game in the series in Japan. It is not on the same level of popularity as FE3 and FE4 over there (but then again no other FE game is), however, it is certainly quite popular in Japan (Roy at least is the most popular character to originate from the GBA Fire Emblem games in Japan). Roy's game was certainly received well receieved. I think even on GameFAQs (lol) the only Fire Emblem games that are rated higher than it are FE4 and FE7. I have not seen any indication that FE6 was seen poorly, yet I keep hearing people cite it. I keep asking for proof, but instead they simply relent that it was something they overheard on in a message board conversation.

Oh wait, seriously? Cool then. I don't mind hearing about the finer details to these things and informing myself for later. I just don't know why I remember hearing that it wasn't received well, or maybe I'm confusing it with another FE entirely.

Snakey

Oh wait, seriously? Cool then. I don't mind hearing about the finer details to these things and informing myself for later. I just don't know why I remember hearing that it wasn't received well, or maybe I'm confusing it with another FE entirely.

That is okay. There is generally a lot of misconceptions with the Fire Emblem series, so its understandable.

The only Fire Emblem games that I think the Japanese fanbase does not like are Fire Emblem Gaiden (FE2), Fire Emblem Sacred Stones (FE8), and Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon (FE11). Those three Fire Emblem games seem to have the most negative reviews from what I saw on Amazon Japan.

Kokonoe

Banned
I think it'd be pretty neat if they offered colors that were pretty much just previous styles of the characters.

Like, since the next Link is most likely going to be SS Link, one of his colors could be OOT Link, or TP Link.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I think it'd be pretty neat if they offered colors that were pretty much just previous styles of the characters.

Like, since the next Link is most likely going to be SS Link, one of his colors could be OOT Link, or TP Link.

Problem there is that you'll have three outfits that are green with white sleeves. Classic Toon Link at least had some brown and yellow to differentiate him from his standard colours. When it comes to the homebrew scene (which is so hit and miss it is unbelievable) this is one of my favourite custom colour schemes.

yIbfhm.jpg

PokéKong

Fire Emblem tosses me through a loop too. I can't figure out a good reasoning for who should stay, if anyone should go, who should be introduced... right now the most likely course seems to be to pull a Mewtwo-Lucario switcheroo with Ike and the new guy. I mean wouldn't it be just a little absurd to have THREE long sword wielding blue haired lord dudes around? The fate of Roy and any other additional members relies mostly on how ambitious they're going to be with the roster size this time.

If the DK Rap was deemed worthy to put into Melee, and what... three different version of the song in the Pikmin commercial were in Brawl(?), then I'd say the Mother series deserves at least one vocal song from the arranged soundtrack to be featured. Pollyana (I Believe In You), Bein' Friends, or All That I Needed (Was You) would be fantastic, even if they needed to be rerecorded for whatever reason. And on that note, to help with both the Mother and the female character quota, I beg Paula or Kumatora, either one would be so cool. Give either one of them most of Ness's or Lucas's B moves, and give their movesets an overhaul to better reflect their actual abilities from the game. Let them at least have their respective signature spells PK Rockin and PK Love for heaven's sake. I'm a big purist nerd I guess, and pay no heed to "oh wont SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN who mained such-and-such character and would be sad to have their mechanics changed!"

Svafnir

I want a bigger single player, like play through a bunch old classic Nintendo levels. First 3 levels of super Mario bros redone, or donkey kong country.

Oddly single player is one my favorite things from the smash bros series. The multiplayer is already pretty great, not sure how they could improve that.

Oh and I want a better custom stage builder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom