• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Xbox Reveal Set For May 21, 10:00 A.M. PST, Livestreamed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't believe it'll be always online either. However, Edge seemed pretty damn confident that it will be and that is strange to say the least. Maybe it was scheduled to be always online earlier in the game and they changed their minds?

This is what I think. Edge was spot on with PS4 even telling us about the Share button before anyone knew about it. I don't think the 720 will require a online connection to work but I wouldn't be surprised if that was on the table at the time Edge reported it.

This is what I think. Edge was spot on with PS4 even telling us about the Share button before anyone knew about it. I don't think the 720 will require a online connection to work but I wouldn't be surprised if that was on the table at the time Edge reported it.

Wouldn't be the first time a company gets a free survey from customers through controlled leaks.

Orth was sacrificed.

They'll probably go the Sony route, leaving it up to the publishers, washing their dirty hands from any guilt while EA can go nuts as in SimCity.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
If always online turns out to be false there are a lot of games 'journalists' who are going to have to take a long hard look at themselves in the mirror.

Wouldn't be the first time a company gets a free survey from customers through controlled leaks.

Orth was sacrificed.

They'll probably go the Sony route, leaving it up to the publishers, washing their dirty hands from any guilt while EA can go nuts as in SimCity.

I would not be shocked if the NDA was so draconian, even in Redmond, that teams couldn't even talk to each other about features and Orth actually believed the rumors himself. So going on a limb and defending a "Feature" that may or may not have existed since his co-workers couldn't actually tell him and getting shitcanned over it would be one hell of a way to go out. A stupid way, but one hell of a way.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
oha. Never seen this. Maybe there is really a dismountable controller to trigger extra actions while jumping around infront of kinect.
It was a prototype motion controller developed by Rare before Kinect, I believe. Basically it got canned in favour of Kinect.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I would not be shocked if the NDA was so draconian, even in Redmond, that teams couldn't even talk to each other about features and Orth actually believed the rumors himself. So going on a limb and defending a "Feature" that may or may not have existed since his co-workers couldn't actually tell him and getting shitcanned over it would be one hell of a way to go out. A stupid way, but one hell of a way.
Actually, I kind of believe this too. I don't believe Orth was canned for breaking an NDA and leaking a feature, I believe he was fired for causing a PR nightmare.

Believing the idea that any of the people commenting on always online DRM do so as confirmation that it exists involves buying into the idea that people will barely mention the existence of the new Xbox, but will happily break NDAs to 'confirm' its least marketable feature. Do people actually think that's something anybody would do?

Dabanton

If always online turns out to be false there are a lot of games 'journalists' who are going to have to take a long hard look at themselves in the mirror.

Many will just carry on as if nothing has happened.

This is the thing with rumors they create a lot of hullabaloo and more importantly create a lot of web traffic for the sites in question. So even if they're full of shit it's worth it for them.

Frame rate is vastly overrated on this board. There are frame rate purists that would choose a next gen GTAV for those improvements but I still maintain that most people would be interested in legitimate next gen software.

TBH most people mistake 'high frame rates are better' for simply 'Consistent Frame Rates are better'

If games are locked at 30 they can seem as smooth as butter.

very few games on current gen maintain consistent 30fps

Reiko

Banned
TBH most people mistake 'high frame rates are better' for simply 'Consistent Frame Rates are better'

If games are locked at 30 they can seem as smooth as butter.

very few games on current gen maintain consistent 30fps

Forza Horizon runs in a locked 30fps and still does not look as fluid as Forza 4 in 60fps. I guess ignorance is bliss:p

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Hardly. Reporting on rumours in the industry is probably the least shameful part of their job.
Putting 'rumour' or 'report' in front of a story doesn't remove responsibility from the author.

Sites should be trying to do their own fact-checking on stuff like this and if they can't or don't have any further sources should consider what is best for their readers.

Way too many are quite happy to use their blogs as a game of Chinese whispers.

Putting 'rumour' or 'report' in front of a story doesn't remove responsibility from the author.

Sites should be trying to do their own fact-checking on stuff like this and if they can't or don't have any further sources should consider what is best for their readers.

Way too many are quite happy to use their blogs as a game of Chinese whispers.

I honestly don't see the problem? Especially when we are here on a "gaming discussion" board, what would we discuss?

Salaadin

I dont have an issue with anyone reporting the "online required" thing as a rumor but some places (like Edge) reported it and then ran some follow up stories where they basically treated it like it was a fact. It shows that they are very confident in their sources but if this whole thing ends up not being true, Im going to have a very hard time trusting them. Its just a shoddy way to go about things.

If you open the url where the XboxReveal app (called Darwin) from xbox.com/hub is hosted (http://5d9a2b6eec9d4d7e0abb-5713631971f16efc805ccf0aa379946d.r69.cf1.rackcdn.com)
you will get a link which resolves to :
http://5d9a2b6eec9d4d7e0abb-5713631971f16efc805ccf0aa379946d.r69.cf1.rackcdn.com/en-US/z_area51/marketplace/splashpages/darwin/darwin-project
... which does not exist. I guess it's the place where app was "hidden" before it went live.

I love the z_area51 in the url lol.

That's not draconian, it's pretty much required practice for a company as big as Microsoft.

It was a prototype motion controller developed by Rare before Kinect, I believe. Basically it got canned in favour of Kinect.

My memory may be playing tricks with me, but isn't there an interview where Rare said they developed a controller for kinect but it was canned because Ms decided they could get spatial locomotion working using only your body?

nib95

Banned

For likely being the ones who forced Microsoft hand in changing an otherwise horrible decision. There are enough different sources that have claimed always online now to safely assume it was Microsoft original strategy, if it's changed now it's probably because of the huge negative reaction.

If anything we owe these journalists our thanks, them and the Microsoft employee who ran his mouth off on twitter about it.

For likely being the ones who forced Microsoft hand in changing an otherwise horrible decision. There are enough different sources that have claimed always online now to safely assume it was Microsoft original strategy, if it's changed now it's probably because of the huge negative reaction.

If anything we owe these journalists our thanks, them and the Microsoft employee who ran his mouth off on twitter about it.
What different source?there just very few site have "sources",other sites just quoting and quoting

And that's why gaming sites love "report" rumors,because even they're wrong,they can still say "well they just changed,we were right at that moment" lol

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

this 'always online' fan fiction is hilarious. I've enjoyed every twist and turn.

Reiko

Banned

Why is there no documentation of this required online DRM?

Who are these sources?

Big pat on the back for everyone in helping us ensure we wouldn't have to strive through an always-online future that was never going to happen in the first place.

BRAVO.

chris0701

Why do you come up the excuse for their intention to save faces , after their site gained lots of commercial click by posting negative MSFT rumors ?

GavinGT

Banned
I heard Sony wanted the PS4 to kill your first born, but then they backed off after noting the negative reaction to murder among the public.

I heard Sony wanted the PS4 to kill your first born, but then they backed off after noting the negative reaction to murder among the public.

Did the redesign the hardware for that though, or was it firmware?

Guess we'll never know!

:)

I also understand that it originally had the ability to kill your first born, but right before reveal they added the ability to kill your second born too.

Double is always better.... right?

Still a lot of the same 'boys club mentality' going on in here.

Was hoping we'd have some more discussions or hilarious gif images by now :(

Boys club?

tumblr_m55wfgDd4J1ql5yr7o1_r1_400.gif

I prefer Bad Girls Club.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom