• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Xbox Reveal Set For May 21, 10:00 A.M. PST, Livestreamed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izick

I know this is a little OT but has anyone received at least 2 calls in the past week or so from Microsoft for a focus test study?

How do they have your number? Through your XBL/Microsoft profile?

I'm going to guess that the logo will be black not green.

Why does everybody think the logo will be any different than the new logo in the invitation/ad on the 360/Xbox.com?

Kibbles

That's because they have Apple-envy.
(Yes I know a console is not a phone or a tablet)
. They love that the Xbox 360 has the same type of passionate fans that Apple has for their iPhone and iPad. They have been trying to be like Apple for several years now. Apple doesn't do teasers either. They send out invitations, and then they show everything that's important to know about their product at their press conference.
I think Microsoft will avoid listing a bunch of specifications seeing as they are noticeably worse than PS4s (if rumors are true)

El_Chino

Nope. What did they ask?

How do they have your number? Through your XBL/Microsoft profile?

Yes through my XBL/Microsoft account I believe and they were just asking what consoles do I own? If I use a MAC computer? Have I been part of a focus test the last 2 months and then the very last question was what is my interest in Heavy Metal Music? (<--They asked that question the last time they called me) As soon as I told them I don't have an interest in Heavy Metal they said I didn't qualify for this Focus test.

I kinda fear the reveal event will be very tame when it comes to core games and indeed most will be saved for E3. I expect this to cause quite a storm over here.

Izick

Yes through my XBL/Microsoft account I believe and they were just asking what consoles do I own? If I use a MAC computer? Have I been part of a focus test the last 2 months and then the very last question was what is my interest in Heavy Metal Music? (<--They asked that question the last time they called me) As soon as I told them I don't have an interest in Heavy Metal they said I didn't qualify for this Focus test.

Microsoft to publish Brutal Legend 2 for OS X?

EagleEyes

Man I can't wait til the 21st. I hope Microsoft has its act together and puts on a good event. I hope the controller is a nice evolution to the current one.

Izick

I wonder if they're going to twist the current Xbox "X" into an infinity symbol by closing the top and bottom of the X.

Izick

I'm glad I have a lot of shit the next two weeks that's going to keep me busy. The last week before the 21st is going to be a fucking slog to wait through though.

Shaneus

Infinite is weird though, Infinity would be a tad better.
Infinite is one less syllable than Infinity. If it was one of the two, I'm guessing the former. And plus, the former is an adjective while the latter is more of a noun. So you can say "Infinite entertainment, Infinite games, Infinite possibilities... Xbox Infinite". But you can't say "Infinity games, Infinity...", it can't really be used to describe anything.

TriGen

It seems it's down to Infinity, Infinite, or just Xbox. Personally, I still like the idea of just going with Xbox. They're already keeping it simple by calling it a new generation, so just call it the new Xbox. If I had to guess, though, I think they'll be tempted to give it something more. A console is different than a phone, as these things last about 7-8 years now apparently (if you release a new version of a product every year of course you don't want to bust out a bunch of names or numbers, but a long-term product like a console I could see it).

Out of Infinite or Infinty I'll go with Infinite. I like the tagline potential the best, plus it doesn't sound like Comcast cable. Also, Infinite was something that was discussed as far back as 2011, and it was talked about heavily around CES 2012. To see this old name get brought back now makes it seem more likely. And, yes, I expect them to turn the 8 in Windows 8 sideways to form the infinity symbol when it's announced.

It seems it's down to Infinity, Infinite, or just Xbox. Personally, I still like the idea of just going with Xbox. They're already keeping it simple by calling it a new generation, so just call it the new Xbox. If I had to guess, though, I think they'll be tempted to give it something more. A console is different than a phone, as these things last about 7-8 years now apparently (if you release a new version of a product every year of course you don't want to bust out a bunch of names or numbers, but a long-term product like a console I could see it).

Out of Infinite or Infinty I'll go with Infinite. I like the tagline potential the best, plus it doesn't sound like Comcast cable. Also, Infinte was something that was discussed as far back as 2011, and it was talked about heavily around CES 2012. To see this old name get brought back now makes it seem more likely. And, yes, I expect them to turn the 8 in Windows 8 sideways to form the infinity symbol when it's announced.

I see marketing tie-ins, but I am not sold on the Infinity/Infinte name. But what do I know, the only console names I have ever really liked were Gamecube (mostly the logo) and DreamCast.

TriGen

I see marketing tie-ins, but I am not sold on the Infinity/Infinte name. But what do I know, the only console names I have ever really liked were Gamecube (mostly the logo) and DreamCast.

Those were probably my two favorites as well. Infinite/Infinity gives off the same vibe as 360 to me for whatever reason. Not saying that's bad or good, but it seems more likely the more I think about it.

eastx

And yet you capitalized the c in Dreamcast? Impossible.

Me, I think Xbox Infinite is a pretty good name. It has lots of potential for slogans and such, all without the confusion that trimming the name down to just Xbox would occasionally cause.

And yet you capitalized the c in Dreamcast? Impossible.

Me, I think Xbox Infinite is a pretty good name. It has lots of potential for slogans and such, all without the confusion that trimming the name down to just Xbox would occasionally cause.

when you buy a macbook pro, is it called the macbook pro 2013, or the macbook pro loop?

no, you just buy a macbook pro, year after year revision after revision it has the same name.

it might be a little odd, people would just call it the "new" xbox.

eastx

when you buy a macbook pro, is it called the macbook pro 2013, or the macbook pro loop?

no, you just buy a macbook pro, year after year revision after revision it has the same name.

it might be a little odd, people would just call it the "new" xbox.

Different markets! Also, how is that name similarity working out for the WiiU right now?

You know ... i think they are fucked.

I don't want them to be... I love Halo... but...

A couple of guys at work who aren't gamers have said they think they will get PS4 next time as they have heard the next xbox uses 'weak graphics' and is 'more about netflix than games'

One of them followed up with 'i might get one if my girlfriend still wants to play that dancing shit'

The sentiment about the system has trickled down from the gaming media and reddit to the average joe.

I think the last three months have done them untold damage.

Izick

A couple of guys at work who aren't gamers have said they think they will get PS4 next time as they have heard the next xbox uses 'weak graphics' and is 'more about netflix than games'

One of them followed up with 'i might get one if my girlfriend still wants to play that dancing shit'

The sentiment about the system has trickled down from the gaming media and reddit to the average joe.

Come on. Please tell me you're trying to make a joke. The Xbox brand is in trouble because two dudes from your office said they're buying a PS4? That's the silliest thing I've ever heard.

Come on. Please tell me you're trying to make a joke. The Xbox brand is in trouble because two dudes from your office said they're buying a PS4? That's the silliest thing I've ever heard.

Xbox brand certainly is not in any immediate trouble but I expect Sony to put a much better fight this time around.

The interesting thing is the scale of Durango success seems to be heavily dependent on the entertainment side from the start. Could be another Wii in the US, could be a flop.

Izick

Xbox brand certainly is not in any immediate trouble but I expect Sony to put a much better fight this time around.

Because the two dudes from his office said so?

I'm not saying Sony is in a better or worse place than Microsoft, I just want to point out how awful it is to use a personal experience like this and assume that's what the mass market thinks. I also wonder if Ninja poisoned the well at work by "helping them along" with those views or ideas?

Don't be a dick.

What I said was that it is a shock the sentiment on forums / reddit has passed on to the uninformed 'average joe'

That sort of negativity is surprising... and no, i don't believe this constitutes any sort of viable sample.

What I do know is that everywhere I look online, on forums, website comments, twitter, is people have nagging doubts about where MS are at.

From System power, to DRM, to kinnect.... its endemic... and far worse than it was for PS3 before either e3 2005 or before e3 2006 (but obviously not worse than after e3 2006 - that shit was awful).

QaaQer

Lemmy should be the new face of the xbox brand, and the new console should be called Xbox Aces.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e5cqe_JE0Q

Don't be a dick.

What I said was that it is a shock the sentiment on forums / reddit has passed on to the uninformed 'average joe'

That sort of negativity is surprising... and no, i don't believe this constitutes any sort of viable sample.

What I do know is that everywhere I look online, on forums, website comments, twitter, is people have nagging doubts about where MS are at.

From System power, to DRM, to kinnect.... its endemic... and far worse than it was for PS3 before either e3 2005 or before e3 2006 (but obviously not worse than after e3 2006 - that shit was awful).
The fact that if next Xbox event is decent they will change their mind
But maybe they will change their mind again after some next Sony event
But maybe they will change their mind again after some next MS event

And loop and loop until one or both console released,average customer won't choose anything that early

Izick

Don't be a dick.

I'm not, I'm saying that your'e using a very small personal experience to cast doom and gloom over the Xbox name. The majority of people don't even know the thing exists yet, because only a minority of people who are going to buy it will take the time to even talk about out. Most people won't know what the hell the thing is until weeks after the announcement, if not later on (when the commercials come out).

Not to mention all of this horse-shit gets wiped away after the 21st. Nobody is going to remember any of the rumors if they turn out to be false. People aren't going to care about DRM when Sony is doing it too (they just don't talk about it), nobody is going to care about "system power" just what the games look like, people might actually like Kinect if it looks interesting.

Also, don't call me a dick when all I'm doing is pointing out something that's fairly obvious. You can't go off of a extremely small sample size and assume that's what everyone thinks. It's not a fair conclusion to jump to.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Don't be a dick.

People are having doubts about a console that hasn't been announced yet...

Who could've guess that?!

I still have never met a single person who has mentioned either the PS4 or durango and most people i know haven't even heard of them.

MS may well be fucked but anecdotal evidence like that is useless.

The fact that if next Xbox event is decent they will change their mind
But maybe they will change their mind again after some next Sony event
But maybe they will change their mind again after some next MS event

And loop and loop until one or both console released,average customer won't choose any thing that early

here's some eggs... would you like me to teach you to suck them too?

That much is obvious. But right now they can't be OK, or Average... it has to be BRILLIANT or the web is going to pounce... it is like a coiled spring.... it will be a spectacular reaction either way, I don't think there's a middle ground for them in this... at least not right now.

I still have never met a single person who has mentioned either the PS4 or durango and most people i know haven't even heard of them.

MS may well be fucked but anecdotal evidence like that is useless.

Don't be a dick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom