• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Xbox Reveal Set For May 21, 10:00 A.M. PST, Livestreamed

Status
Not open for further replies.
here's some eggs... would you like me to teach you to suck them too?

That much is obvious. But right now they can't be OK, or Average... it has to be BRILLIANT or the web is going to pounce... it is like a coiled spring.... it will be a spectacular reaction either way, I don't think there's a middle ground for them in this... at least not right now.
And no one will remember that after May21,unless it's some fans never planning to buy Xbox whatever happened
The only group feel this is hurt right now is and only Xbox fans

FordGTGuy

Banned
here's some eggs... would you like me to teach you to suck them too?

That much is obvious. But right now they can't be OK, or Average... it has to be BRILLIANT or the web is going to pounce... it is like a coiled spring.... it will be a spectacular reaction either way, I don't think there's a middle ground for them in this... at least not right now.

You make it sound like the hardcore gaming community that visits forums often somehow(has the power to "pounce" at all on Microsoft) is a proper representation of the full markets for either Sony or Microsoft. It doesn't have to be brilliant, hell it could be mediocre and it will still sell because of the Xbox fanbase that is already established.

This is a comment that might've been justified at the launch of the X360 but now the Xbox brand is plenty big enough to sell well without a fantastic showing at a game trade show or even the consoles reveal.

It really is hard to take your Xbox doom saying objectively with your Kaz avatar staring at me.

Ninja's been pushing this doom stuff ever since I saw him for the first time.

Izick

Let's forget about the manufactured doom and gloom, let's get back on topic.

I'm really hoping they show off some gameplay of Respawn's game, and I'm curious to what it actually us. To me it sounded more like a third-person shooter instead of first, but I'm not sure. Have the rumors commented on that?

That and Ryse are the two games that we know about that I'm most excited to see at Microsoft's next two events. I'm really curious to see how much Ryse uses Kinect and a controller together. I wouldn't mind if Kinect was optional even, but I'm not sure how likely that will be.

I'm more curious as to how they actually change the controller besides the D-pad. The Kinect is likely going to be a simple improvement; better tracking, more reliable, more points of tracking, etc. The controller as it is right now is pretty much perfect besides the d-pad. Maybe change the bumpers; widen them up and make them like the L1/R1 on the DS.

R3TRODYCE

Let's forget about the manufactured doom and gloom, let's get back on topic.

I'm really hoping they show off some gameplay of Respawn's game, and I'm curious to what it actually us. To me it sounded more like a third-person shooter instead of first, but I'm not sure. Have the rumors commented on that?

That and Ryse are the two games that we know about that I'm most excited to see at Microsoft's next two events. I'm really curious to see how much Ryse uses Kinect and a controller together. I wouldn't mind if Kinect was optional even, but I'm not sure how likely that will be.

I'm more curious as to how they actually change the controller besides the D-pad. The Kinect is likely going to be a simple improvement; better tracking, more reliable, more points of tracking, etc. The controller as it is right now is pretty much perfect besides the d-pad. Maybe change the bumpers; widen them up and make them like the L1/R1 on the DS.
Some of the concept art for Ryse looked amazing, I hope it's not too linear;Graphically I expect to be wowed. I also expect that Respawn will deliver the goods, So amped.

You make it sound like the hardcore gaming community that visits forums often somehow(has the power to "pounce" at all on Microsoft) is a proper representation of the full markets for either Sony or Microsoft. It doesn't have to be brilliant, hell it could be mediocre and it will still sell because of the Xbox fanbase that is already established.

This is a comment that might've been justified at the launch of the X360 but now the Xbox brand is plenty big enough to sell well without a fantastic showing at a game trade show or even the consoles reveal.

He could be a unimpressed fan ?

Can someone balmerize this scene from office space...maybe smashing a ps3 instead or something lol. Maybe you can find a better gif or make one from a youtube clip

office-space-o.gif

Guess we need to make a game list about which game will show at May 21

Confirmed:
new COD

Rumored:
Respawn new game
Ryse
PGR
One of 4 new ips?
A Kinect title?

jbug617

Banned
El Chino I remember you posted about a survey talking about Heavy Metal Music and saw on Joystiq that on the 360 there will be a live stream of the Revolver Golden Gods Awards (Heavy Metal Award Show) this week.

Satchel

Banned
Madden exclusive for the US
Fifa for the UK/EU.

Boom!

You say that facetiously. I think its happening.

I would not be the least bit surprised if MS money hatted the next gen version of FIFA and Madden 14. Obviously 15 will return the status quo, but I wouldn't be surprised if they locked away 14. Would be an expensive, but very shrewd move.

Raide

I would not be the least bit surprised if MS money hatted the next gen version of FIFA and Madden 14. Obviously 15 will return the status quo, but I wouldn't be surprised if they locked away 14. Would be an expensive, but very shrewd move.

I am right in the middle. I say it jokingly but also believe MS would actually do something like that in order to bounce Sony early on. I think this generation is going to be about what exclusives each side gets, since the actual tech and services side is going to be pretty much on par.

Satchel

Banned
I am right in the middle. I say it jokingly but also believe MS would actually do something like that in order to bounce Sony early on. I think this generation is going to be about what exclusives each side gets, since the actual tech and services side is going to be pretty much on par.

If they could realistically afford it, they'd be stupid not to.

Duffyside

Banned
I really, REALLY hope it's called "infinity" or something. That'd be the dumbest name ever, like it was come to via two kids arguing on the school yard.

"Oh yeah, well if your console is so great, why is ours Playstation FOUR, and yours is XBox THREE?"

"OOOoooooOOOOOoooo"

"It... It's not! It's... It's XBox Infiniteeee! We have infinitee Xboxies!"

"OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!"

Won't happen, sorry. FIFA/NFL will NOT allow this. By the way, in case you have missed it:

http://www.sony.net/united/fifa/

Sony has a US$305 million deal with the FIFA. Microsoft will never get an exclusive FIFA.

derFeef

I really, REALLY hope it's called "infinity" or something. That'd be the dumbest name ever, like it was come to via two kids arguing on the school yard.

"Oh yeah, well if your console is so great, why is ours Playstation FOUR, and yours is XBox THREE?"

"OOOoooooOOOOOoooo"

"It... It's not! It's... It's XBox Infiniteeee! We have infinitee Xboxies!"

"OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!"

I don't know where that long e supposed to come from but I am no native english speaker.

njean777

Madden exclusive for the US
Fifa for the UK/EU.

Boom!

Really doubt that will happen. They would lose to much money from going exclusive. DLC I can see, but not the actual game itself. Any third party in their right minds would not be exclusive to either console, unless it is a game without mass appeal.

Raide

Gemüsepizza;56500840 said:
Won't happen, sorry. FIFA/NFL will NOT allow this. By the way, in case you have missed it:

http://www.sony.net/united/fifa/

Sony has a US$305 million deal with the FIFA.

Runs out in 2014. If they are going to do it, they have already money-hatted EA for the 2014 Fifa.

Really doubt that will happen. They would lose to much money from going exclusive. DLC I can see, but not the actual game itself.

Someone has to start off next-gen. :D The big publishers cannot sit and keep riding on last=gen sales forever. :p

derFeef

Sports game exclusives would get a huge "sigh" from me personally, could not care less about them. I know they sell like hell, but meh.

Guess we need to make a game list about which game will show at May 21

Confirmed:
new COD

Rumored:
Respawn new game
Ryse
PGR
One of 4 new ips?
A Kinect title?

The day of the rumored exclusivity deal, Respawn's twitter said that they they won't be showing their game until E3. Could that be a lie? Sure, but it makes sense if COD is being unveiled on the 21st

njean777

Runs out in 2014. If they are going to do it, they have already money-hatted EA for the 2014 Fifa.

Someone has to start off next-gen. :D The big publishers cannot sit and keep riding on last=gen sales forever. :p

Not with franchises like fifa and madden. EA would lose a lot more then gained, that would be a horrible business move. Then again I don't put it past EA to make horrible decisions.

Raide

Sports game exclusives would get a huge "sigh" from me personally, could not care less about them. I know they sell like hell, but meh.

Same here I really could not give a rats ass about them but they would certainly be titles that either MS or Sony would like to wrap up.

Not with franchises like fifa and madden. EA would lose a lot more then gained, that would be a horrible business move. Then again I don't put it past EA to make horrible decisions.

That is true. :D EA do make some strange choices.

Sony could offer them a similar follow-up deal, which makes sense because Sony has a lot of products the FIFA wants (TV equipment etc.), and this is not only about gaming. I don't see how Microsoft can offer them a better deal.

Krisprolls

Banned
If they could realistically afford it, they'd be stupid not to.

It doesn't make sense at all... Fifa is the #1 game here in continental Europe, it sells millions and it's mostly played on PS3. Xbox brand is too weak here to make it possible.

EA would never accept a Xbox exclusive on that game. It would damage their company even beyond that game and those damages can't really be estimated.

It doesn't make sense for MS either, it woud cost far too much money even if it was possible.

If they were exclusive, they'd be next generation exclusives with them coming to all current generation consoles.

Having a one year exclusive deal on those games would actually benefit EA as they'd have a fairly large guaranteed return from a smallish install base as well as the returns from the current generation versions.

I don't see how ea would lose money? Wouldn't the people that want Madden/Fifa buy the console that has Madden and Fifa?

It is not that simple. Any big franchise going exclusive will result in a big shitstorm from fans. Believe me, no publisher wants do deal with this, because it could affect other titles. The only way I see most third party exclusives happening is either with new IPs or if one platform sells dramatically more than the other (think PS2 level dominance).

If they were exclusive, they'd be next generation exclusives with them coming to all current generation consoles.

Having a one year exclusive deal on those games would actually benefit EA as they'd have a fairly large guaranteed return from a smallish install base as well as the returns from the current generation versions.

What? They would of course sell less games, which has to be mitigated with money payed by Microsoft.

Gemüsepizza;56502652 said:
It is not that simple. Any big franchise going exclusive will result in a big shitstorm from fans. Believe me, no publisher wants do deal with this, because it could affect other titles. The only way I see most third party exclusives happening is either with new IPs or if one platform sells dramatically more than the other (think PS2 level dominance).

umm, that's not the reason why. it's simply because they'd lose out on millions of sales.

that simple.

Into

I don't see how ea would lose money? Wouldn't the people that want Madden/Fifa buy the console that has Madden and Fifa?

All of them? Of course not, they would just buy a PS4 and buy Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 or something.

The 10-13 million PS3 owners who buy CoD each year would not just buy a 360 tomorrow if Ghost only came out for 360, they would just buy Battlefield 3 or some other game that fulfills that need.

It took EA 10 years to get FIFA to where it is at now, it sells the best on PS3 simply due to mainland Europe where PS3 is king. They cannot and will not risk something like PES coming back and taking a big chunk of their audience

And EA is in no position to make such crazy moves, they just laid off a bunch of people, CEO's changed, they have to stabilize and pump out sure fire hits. Putting your biggest cash cow exclusively on 1 system would be a death sentence. There are just too many risks involved, what sort of insurance could Microsoft give EA that 720 would be a huge success in Europe where most of FIFA's sales are?

I would like to see it happen, just to see how well FIFA and PES would sell. Konami would be thrilled as it gives them the window of opportunity

Gemüsepizza;56502652 said:

You mean a shitstorm from Sony fans. People that buy for the name on the box not the games. A majority of people will buy the platform with the games they want to play. If my favorite franchises went to Ouya I guess id have to buy an Ouya.

All of them? Of course not, they would just buy a PS4 and buy Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 or something.

The 10-13 million PS3 owners who buy CoD each year would not just buy a 360 tomorrow if Ghost only came out for 360, they would just buy Battlefield 3 or some other game that fulfills that need.

It took EA 10 years to get FIFA to where it is at now, it sells the best on PS3 simply due to mainland Europe where PS3 is king. They cannot and will not risk something like PES coming back and taking a big chunk of their audience

And EA is in no position to make such crazy moves, they just laid off a bunch of people, CEO's changed, they have to stabilize and pump out sure fire hits. Putting your biggest cash cow exclusively on 1 system would be a death sentence

But there are zero ps4s out there. If they are gonna pull a switch now is the time to do it when they lose minimal sales. Only the most insane fanboys would not buy an xbox for fifa (hypothetically). Hell, PES doesn't even have the premier league.

Riiight.... you are talking out of your ass mate

Explain this please:

fuck it.

lets start properly hyping this shit.

September - GTA 5, Halo Anniversary 2 (using next gen halo 4 engine... god bless corrine yu) and Project Gotham and RYSE... day one.

I'm calling it now.

:D

Yeah. it is. there's a lot of negativity for the sake of it... I'm pleased to see they are innovating and if they are revamping achievements that means they are def still interested in the hardcore.

EDIT: Though I still think in general they are handling things poorly in terms of their silence in the face of fans getting annoyed.

the average console owner doesn't even know what DRM is... they have DRM on their phone and ipad... they use walled gardens all the time.

this is being blown up way too far.

most of the people complaining about DRM have downloaded games which they effectively don't own... read the XBLA and PSN terms carefully.

Please be good.... I want to be. Badly :)

Nothing is better than a fucking epic reveal. Nothing.

And how about the fact that I tried to start a thread about the reveal that was about something positive?

For the record my avatar was Cortana, and Before that Chief and Cortana... and now it is kaz and cortana.

I want Xbox to be fantastic... but I am not blinkered enough to pretend it looks like they are getting it right just because i want it to be true.

Raide

But there are zero ps4s out there. If they are gonna pull a switch now is the time to do it when they lose minimal sales. Only the most insane fanboys would not buy an xbox for fifa (hypothetically). Hell, PES doesn't even have the premier league.

I think thats the main reason. I don't see them dropping the PS3 or 360 version, since its guaranteed cash but if they do a transition version for PS4 or 720 only, it helps to bolster the launch lineup, without sacrificing all that early cash. They may find out fans buy the 720 version instead of the 360 version, just so they have the best available version.

Who knows! I would rather MS hit up plenty of new IP but they are bound to start a generation off with some remixed and HD'd up current IPs.

njean777

You mean a shitstorm from Sony fans. People that buy for the name on the box not the games. A majority of people will buy the platform with the games they want to play. If my favorite franchises went to Ouya I guess id have to buy an Ouya.

At this point though it isnt that simple. Some people are attached to platforms for other reasons then just the brand name.

No. I buy a PS4 because it has great first party titles and because it seems to be the most powerful console. Not "because of the name". I also bought a Xbox 360 at release because it simply was the best console available. I always want to have the best device.

It's just PR suicide to do something like this. Remember what happened when it was announced that Bayonetta 2 was WiiU exclusive? This was a small title, not really AAA(A). No imagine what will happen if a publisher is announcing that a big, popular franchise with a massive fan base on all platforms is going exclusive. People will shred them into pieces. I just don't see this happening, sorry.

Raide

Gemüsepizza;56504880 said:
No. I buy a PS4 because it has great first party titles and because it seems to be the most powerful console. Not "because of the name". I also bought a Xbox 360 at release because it simply was the best console available. I always want to have the best device.

It's just PR suicide to do something like this. Remember what happened when it was announced that Bayonetta 2 was WiiU exclusive? This was a small title, not really AAA(A). No imagine what will happen if a publisher is announcing that a big, popular franchise with a massive fan base on all platforms is going exclusive. People will shred them into pieces. I just don't see this happening, sorry.

I do remember fans going a bit crazy because it was not coming to the formats they wanted and then choosing to buy a Wii-U to play it. The bigger the series, the more leverage it could have for a new console right? I don't see EA missing their main market but I also don't see them missing out on a new market that could potentially become their main market as it expands.

At this point though it isnt that simple. Some people are attached to platforms for other reasons then just the brand name.

More attach to a platform than their favorite games? Games are the reason you buy a console.

Gemüsepizza;56504880 said:

Remember the shitstorm behind Diablo and SimCitys DRM? Call of Dutys servers? Final Fantasy going multiplatform? The online pass? Those games still sold butt loads because they are franchises people want to play.

Into

Why are they "insane fanboys"? People in Europe buy PlayStation consoles for other reasons than FIFA. Thats like if i said "people in Murica only buy Xbox to play Call of Duty", that would be very stereotypical and flat out wrong. People in America buy 360 for many reasons, CoD just being one of them.

Same goes for PS3 here, people buy it for multiplatform games, Gran Turismo, Uncharted and whatever else they enjoy.

The key components is that EA cannot possibly know:

1: How successful 720 is in Europe where FIFA gets most of its sales
2: How many people "switch"
3: How good/relevant the competition is (PES 2014 that would appear on both PS4 and 720)
4: How successful the PS4 is in Europe, where in this situation FIFA would get none of its sales from
5: How would their investors react?

Nobody knows how any of these 5 would turn out, this industry has shown itself to be impossible to predict on numerous occasions.

Too many external unknowns, but also too many internal unknowns in a company (EA) that is not exactly doing well right now, they only have FIFA and Battlefield as their major sellers, and who knows if BF4 will even match BF3 numbers. FIFA is the only stable franchise, just too risky to make it exclusive to anyone

From MS side: Too much money would be required, when that money is better spent on improving Xbox Live in Europe. If you want people here to buy your console that would be the first thing to do, forget FIFA.

The day of the rumored exclusivity deal, Respawn's twitter said that they they won't be showing their game until E3. Could that be a lie? Sure, but it makes sense if COD is being unveiled on the 21st
Make sense actually,exclusive or not,show too much shooter at same time isn't good for the event

Into

Might not mean anything but when the revealed the new Madden Cover at the NFL Draft they used the 360 version.

Madden i could see maybe being exclusive, maybe for a month or two. I do not know much about how Madden performs outside US and Canada, most likely horribly. But i bet it does great in US, i know that during PS2 games that was EAs biggest franchise

And Xbox 360 has been dominating US for the past few years, so that deal is more "safe" than the outright gambling idea of FIFA exclusivity on a Xbox platform

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom