• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 10 |OT| Google's 10-inch tablet developed by Samsung

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCX

I wanted to get one before Thanksgiving so I could give my old tablet to my brother. Guess I should have not been so indecisive when it was in stock.

hemtae

Some early impressions:

-It really does look better in person than the press release pics
-Dat screen
-I got about 8.5 hours with doing just some setup stuff internet browsing and some video watching
-The clanking sound the keyboard makes is kinda annoying especially how it makes what feels like a physical vibration.
-Front facing speakers are amazing.
-I probably won't ever use it but the front facing camera with a flash bulb is pretty cool.
-It locked up for a minute or two for me three times.

Will do more gaming and reading stuff tomorrow. Maybe I'll even attempt to write my paper.

RuGalz

Some early impressions:
-The clanking sound the keyboard makes is kinda annoying especially how it makes what feels like a physical vibration.
-It locked up for a minute or two for me three times.

You can turn off the sound and vibration in Settings->Language and Input->Android Keyboard options.

Mine has also locked up a few more times than my phone for sure. For some reason, android seems to be less stable on tablet than it is on phone in my experience.

Jeff-DSA

Nexus10s.jpg

Man, I stayed up way too late playing with this thing. A couple of my apps don't work on the Nexus 10, but I'm sure they'll update in time. I was actually surprised at how light and thin it felt. I'm coming from a Xoom, so difference in feel was tremendous. Anyway, here are my general thoughts so far:

- The screen is godly. It can't be said enough.
- Magazines and books look incredible. Pictures don't do it justice. Haven't tried comics, but will.
- My battery held up really well. I did a full ESPN GameCast of the Jazz-Rockets game followed by a full GameCast of the UNM-UCONN basketball game. Before that, my kid watched two full episodes of Shaun the Sheep (around 45 minutes). I also browsed and tinkered with it for another 3-4 hours in total, and I still had 20% charge from the 60% it had when I unboxed it. Not too bad at all.
- Full brightness is really bright, I like it at around 50% for indoor use. Most of the usage last night was at around 80%, however.
- The Wi-Fi seems really fast compared to my Xoom. Don't know if that's true or not, but it seems to have a faster connection.
- It's FAST. No lags, hiccups, or slow framerates so far.
- I like the grippy backside. It's comfortable. I think I'd prefer it over the entire back instead of the area at the top being different, but it's not a big deal.
- The bezel is perfect size for holding at either orientation. I wouldn't want anything smaller or I'd be getting my thumb on the sides.
- Google's swiped Swype works very well and I'll keep with that for a while. I used to use Thumb Keyboard
- A few apps look funny at the high resolution, but with updates they'll be fine. I hope developers make the effort to optimize.
- It's a little bit wider than my Xoom, so I get a snug fit in my carrying case. It's okay for now, but I'll need a new one. Just a heads up in case anybody is making that same jump (as if anybody else had a Xoom).
- No lockups, freezes, crashes so far. Haven't had an app crash yet, but I've mostly been browsing and doing simple media.

Still need to try...

- The cameras. Haven't done much with them yet, but I will later today.
- Comics. I'm not a big comic reader, but this screen has me wanting to read a few.
- Getting another browser with Flash support on this. I already found a situation last night where I wanted to have it.
- Gaming. Haven't done any.

I still haven't applied the update. Right now I'm on 4.2. I've heard from the N7 people that they're not too hot on 4.2.1 right now, so maybe I should wait. I don't know. If anybody else has an opinion on that, let me know.

Great tablet so far!

i could have just hit the button but my wife will kill me...had it in the cart ready to go.

if it goes out of stock and comes back in stock after this i'm hopping on it.

damn being married and on a budget lol.

reminder

Short question: can you use a virtual credit card (like wirecard) for hardware purchases or do you have to use google wallet for the Play Store? I ask because i've read that google wallet doesn't support virtual credit cards and i just have transferred money to my account for ordering a 16GB N10 when it's available again here in germany...

tokkun

I will wait until it's available at local retail stores, even if that takes a month. I'm still not sure whether the tablet form factor has enough value add over an ultrabook.

derder

I will wait until it's available at local retail stores, even if that takes a month. I'm still not sure whether the tablet form factor has enough value add over an ultrabook.

Get a Lenovo Yoga! Best of both worlds.

Seriously, it's amazing.

BFIB

Must....not....order....

Me and the wife just booked a getaway weekend to Vegas in January. Really don't have the funds w/ X-mas coming and the trip booked, but damn, I'm tempted to throw it on my 0% anyway.

tokkun

Get a Lenovo Yoga! Best of both worlds.

Seriously, it's amazing.

I spent a fair amount of time checking out the Yoga when it came out. If it had a higher resolution screen, I would have bought it to replace my current laptop.

I don't think I would use it much in tablet mode, though. It felt heavy and awkward with those keys on the back.

SpecX

Really Google? I would definitely grab this at that price. I'm looking to get my wife a tablet as a gift this year and that would have sealed the deal on this.

I got my Mom a N10 to watch her k dramas she is obsessed with through some apps I found plus some July plus. She was about to drop 350 on a tab 2 10.1 and I was having none of that.

Now I am sitting here with my xoom thinking that if I Could have somehow wrangled her into getting mine and getting myself the 10. Luckily I am not that kind if guy.

jaxword

Anyone here tried to make music on the tablet? I've been considering getting one, but I need to know if the programs are compatible with windows music making programs (audacity, for example).

torontoml

As i stated up above just ordered mine but it will be a few weeks before i get it. Does anyone have suggestions on accessories, i.e. cover/stand?

Got my N10 yesterday and I absolutely love this thing. The screen is amazing and it doesn't look at shitty as those first leaked photos made it out to be (though I still prefer the aesthetics of the white Transformer TF300). Feels great in the hand, too. My only complaint is that charging it take forever compared to the TF300.

RuGalz

Rooted and installed AOSP Rom with auto filesystem mounting via USB today. Can't be happier.

Very cool to be able to just mount my media whenever I need them instead of having them taking up internal space all the time.

Android Browser is built in, which I find is still better than Chrome for now.

Haven't decided if I want to install ad block yet. I'd rather have it as plugin in browser and only block annoying sites but that's only do-able with Firefox + plugin.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Will they be offering it on Amazon? Mother has a $100 Amazon gift card that she would put towards this as a gift for my father.

RuGalz

Having all the controls and being able to pick which ones to show up in the grid in the quick setting panel is so much better than the stock rom. I'm not sure why Google half-assed it or why the mod community isn't submitting patches to AOSP.

Anyone have both this and the N7 by any chance?

I want to know which one has better performance as I try to decide between them.

The performance on both is very good. I haven't personally tried the 10 but the specs are nice. Performance wise you can't go wrong either way. I think the better question is which form factor do you prefer? After having tried the Nexus 7 as well as an iPad mini I'm convinced I love the smaller form factor for tablets personally. My gf has the iPad 3 which is nice and everything but I feel it's just too big and can get rather uncomfortable to hold. The nexus 7 is just perfect (for me) It's super light and I can hold it in one hand easily and comfortably. The thing can even fit in my pants pocket! Movies and such look great on it, speakers are nice etc. Having said that, I just ordered the 3G N7 model :)

mturco

Anyone have both this and the N7 by any chance?

I want to know which one has better performance as I try to decide between them.

Had a N7 and returned it to get a N10. The N10 is definitely faster/smoother just swiping between homescreens and moving in and out of apps. I can't tell which one is faster for gaming or videos because both seem perfectly smooth to me.

If one of them is faster, though, it's definitely the N10 in my opinion (and on paper).

Edit: And like the guy above me said, form factor is a way bigger deal than performance here. You really can't go wrong either way (having owned both).

JCX

My thoughts after about a day of use. This is my first 4.2 device and my previous tablet was the OF Transformer

+ Screen is absolutely beautiful. From text to video, everything looks great
+ Great for HD games. I played the Amazing Spiderman on my TF101 and this. Barely ran on the former, looked near dreamcast on latter
+ Front-facing speakers make a huge difference. I played two videos simultaneously on both tabs and the N10 drowned out the TF101 easily
+ Form factor: I wasn't excited about the rubberized back, but it makes it so much easier to hold.
+ Battery is fine. I've been using it all day, and it just hit about 30% It does take a while to fully charge, though.

- System button: I prefer ICS' layout for system buttons in the corners. Having them centered makes sense on a phone, but not on a tablet. I often find myself having to readjust my hands from their natural position just to hit the back or home button.

- Flash: I know HTML 5 is the future, but I liked at least having the option

Overall, very pleased with the N10. My gripes are fairly minor and the positives more than make up for them.

Jeff-DSA

Ok, a few more thoughts after some heavy recent use.

The tablet is just plain awesome. There are some nitpicks that I have (posted later), but my day to day experience with the Nexus 10 has been extremely favorable. It's very light to carry around, it's smooth in its performance, and the front facing speakers are fantastic. We were streaming music from it last night while putting up the Christmas tree and it filled the room, so we didn't bother connecting external speakers. Reading is quite comfortable, be it browsing or a book. I've even read a few comics, and they are really nice here.

So here are my nitpicks.

- Phone apps generally look nice, but buttons and text can be very small on them.
- Had to sideload Flash/Dolphin to get Flash support. Was easy, but too bad it's not supported natively.
- Power button on the top means accidental presses, even in a case. I liked the recessed button on the rear like the Xoom better.
- Still feeling the lack of SD card support.
- Lack of accessories specifically for the Nexus 10

The last nitpick is my greatest. I'd really like some official accessories for the Nexus 10. If not official, at least some that are designed specifically around it. I have to settle for generic slips/cases that are often a little too snug or a little too loose. If these sell well, there's going to be a market for the accessories. I'm hoping that it happens sooner than later.

Ok, a few more thoughts after some heavy recent use.

The tablet is just plain awesome. There are some nitpicks that I have (posted later), but my day to day experience with the Nexus 10 has been extremely favorable. It's very light to carry around, it's smooth in its performance, and the front facing speakers are fantastic. We were streaming music from it last night while putting up the Christmas tree and it filled the room, so we didn't bother connecting external speakers. Reading is quite comfortable, be it browsing or a book. I've even read a few comics, and they are really nice here.

So here are my nitpicks.

- Phone apps generally look nice, but buttons and text can be very small on them.
- Had to sideload Flash/Dolphin to get Flash support. Was easy, but too bad it's not supported natively.
- Power button on the top means accidental presses, even in a case. I liked the recessed button on the rear like the Xoom better.
- Still feeling the lack of SD card support.
- Lack of accessories specifically for the Nexus 10

The last nitpick is my greatest. I'd really like some official accessories for the Nexus 10. If not official, at least some that are designed specifically around it. I have to settle for generic slips/cases that are often a little too snug or a little too loose. If these sell well, there's going to be a market for the accessories. I'm hoping that it happens sooner than later.

well they are having a hard time keeping the 32gb readily available...let's hope they are actually getting bought and its not a ploy to make people think they are selling well.

they're still not in walmart yet right? need to go put one on layaway...that's probably the quickest way to get one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom