• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 10 |OT| Google's 10-inch tablet developed by Samsung

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff-DSA

well they are having a hard time keeping the 32gb readily available...let's hope they are actually getting bought and its not a ploy to make people think they are selling well.

they're still not in walmart yet right? need to go put one on layaway...that's probably the quickest way to get one.

It's been spotty at Walmart stores. Some have had them, seems like most have not. I doubt that they'd be doing an intentional supply constrain. The way that tablets are always coming out, you have a short window to be the top dog in any given spec. I would imagine that they're just not keeping up well with demand.

Basing it off my own observation with my Playbook which runs around 7 hours or so. Assuming both devices (Playbook and nexus 10) have similar battery life it's a no for me. It's the single most annoying thing about the Playbook ... The short battery life. To be fair though I'm basing that on the playbooks crappy standby time .... I keep the thing plugged in permanently except when in use. What's the standby on the nexus 10?

I would hardly consider the Playbook a good basis of comparison..

RuGalz

C'mon Google, make the setting panel customizable like this...
Sketch246828.jpg

And why not add USB storage support to AOSP... (using my 32G microSD card here)
Screenshot_2012-11-26-17-19-53.png

tokkun

It's been spotty at Walmart stores. Some have had them, seems like most have not. I doubt that they'd be doing an intentional supply constrain. The way that tablets are always coming out, you have a short window to be the top dog in any given spec. I would imagine that they're just not keeping up well with demand.

Where have you seen reports of them for sale at Walmart? I have yet to see anyone report finding one in any US retail store.

Jeff-DSA

Where have you seen reports of them for sale at Walmart? I have yet to see anyone report finding one in any US retail store.

I'm just going off of reports of people saying that they've seen them and the odd pic that gets posted. Not sure how many are there, but it seems that few Walmarts have ever received any.

Jeff-DSA

I was at Walmart during my lunch break and strolled through electronics. It looks like they had the price tag under a shelf for the Nexus 10, but only for the 32GB tablets. I asked an employee, and he said, "I think they came in and sold out already."

So I don't know. Maybe my store had them, maybe they're just prepping the space and the guy doesn't know anything. Either way, they only had a price tag for the 32GBs showing.

reminder

Wow, wtf? Was waiting for the 16GB N10 to be available again at the Play Store since last friday, checking the site every few minutes and suddenly, five minutes ago it was available again. I ordered it and everything went smooth and after checking the site again it was sold out again. I hope this wasn't just an error and everything goes well this time...

luiztfc

Does anyone know if by January 10th the Nexus will be sold on normal stores? I have a friend going to the States and I'd like him to buy me one.

tokkun

Does anyone know if by January 10th the Nexus will be sold on normal stores? I have a friend going to the States and I'd like him to buy me one.

Staples will start shipping orders from their website in mid/late-December. Presumably they would be in retail stores around this time, but no one can say for sure.

My personal theory is that Google decided that they wanted Play Store exclusivity for the Christmas buying season, and I bet you will see them turn up at retailers around Christmas.

Jeff-DSA

Did anybody else get the update yesterday? My wife's Nexus 7 got hers, meanwhile I still have no December. I imagine it'll be waiting when I get home from work, but I found it odd they didn't both get the update on the same day.

RuGalz

Did anybody else get the update yesterday? My wife's Nexus 7 got hers, meanwhile I still have no December. I imagine it'll be waiting when I get home from work, but I found it odd they didn't both get the update on the same day.

Updates don't typically get pushed out to everyone at once. Starts at like 5% or something first then gradually expands from there in case they need to put in hot fixes.

I got one on my nexus 4. My nexus 7 arrives today hopefully. Will let you know.

Phoenix

Staples will start shipping orders from their website in mid/late-December. Presumably they would be in retail stores around this time, but no one can say for sure.

My personal theory is that Google decided that they wanted Play Store exclusivity for the Christmas buying season, and I bet you will see them turn up at retailers around Christmas.

I'm going to bet on supply chain constraints for the devices being so bad that they figured it made more sense to just keep them in house.

Trouble

Banned
Anyone else's lock up with a buzzing sound coming out of the speakers? Happened about a half dozen times. Wondering if it's an Android bug or if I got bum hardware.

RuGalz

Anyone else's lock up with a buzzing sound coming out of the speakers? Happened about a half dozen times. Wondering if it's an Android bug or if I got bum hardware.

I've seen that when I first got the device and after day 1 update. Factory reset helped.

reminder

Yay, Google has shipped my N10! I ordered it on november 27 and it said delivery takes 2 - 3 weeks, but i'm fine with that :D

Jeff-DSA

I haven't had any hard crashes or lock ups. I've had a couple of app crashes, but nothing more than that.

One thing that REALLY sucks is that The Pinball Arcade has a bad bug on the Nexus 10. You can't exit out of the scoreboard after you play a game and return to the table menu. Basically it's end of the line at that point and you have to exit out, close the app, and restart it. Really annoying. It's pretty much the ONLY game I play on the thing too.

Here is the bug: http://youtu.be/SQ5ZkBqr42o

tokkun

Two people on XDA have reported that actual devices have appeared for sale at their Walmarts this weekend. However apparently the stores they went to only received one and two total devices in their shipments respectively.

Two people on XDA have reported that actual devices have appeared for sale at their Walmarts this weekend. However apparently the stores they went to only received one and two total devices in their shipments respectively.

came here to post this... one guy said there were 3 at his walmart on a bottom shelf in the tablet case...

seems like they are starting to slowly trickle in. hopefully i can talk the wife into letting me pick one up for an early xmas gift.

Trey

I'm looking for a tablet that would be good for math/engineering type of work, as well as some compatibility with a keyboard and general email and web surfing capabilities.

Would this tablet be an answer to those needs?

tokkun

I'm looking for a tablet that would be good for math/engineering type of work, as well as some compatibility with a keyboard and general email and web surfing capabilities.

Would this tablet be an answer to those needs?

No. You will want something with an x86 processor to run most engineering software. Try the Acer W700 or the Microsoft Surface Pro in January.

Nome

In the market for a tablet, but a lot of reviews say Nexus 10 has some fairly unresponsive browsing. Any truth to this, and if so, how likely that Google can patch this out?

RuGalz

In the market for a tablet, but a lot of reviews say Nexus 10 has some fairly unresponsive browsing. Any truth to this, and if so, how likely that Google can patch this out?

Unresponsive browsing? I don't think I'd be happy with the tablet if that was the case since browser is 80% of my usage on the tablet.

Mario007

Doubt browsing will be your problem since you can just pick any other browser from the play store. Chrome is pretty reliable though performance heavy, I found on my transformer, so I'd say it should be around the same on N10.

I have had absolutely no trouble browsing with my N10. I use the Ocean browser and it has been flawless. I'm already very addicted to this thing. Two thumbs up. Caveat: My only other tablet experience is with my in-laws iPad. I thought it was ok.

mclem

My Nexus has arrived!

Haven't yet done much with it - I'm at work - but it's terribly, terribly shiny.

My housemate has quite a nice protective cover for his iPad where the front cover is made up of three (magnetic?) sections which - on opening - can be folded up into a stand. Can anyone recommend anything like that in the UK that fits this thing?

RuGalz

No wonder I don't see the issues since I'm using Android stock browser. (AOSP rom)

My housemate has quite a nice protective cover for his iPad where the front cover is made up of three (magnetic?) sections which - on opening - can be folded up into a stand. Can anyone recommend anything like that in the UK that fits this thing?

There are a few cases starting to pop up on ebay and such places. I have seen one with tri folding segment cover (such as this). I haven't pulled the trigger yet so I can't really give you specific recommendation.

mclem

Are there any manufacturers who are generally reliable (or conversely, generally worth avoiding?). There's a few cases on Amazon but (understandably!) not many reviews, and I'm wondering if a portion of them are marketing.

Jeff-DSA

Browsing has been 100% fine. If anybody was having issues, it seems like it would be a unique problem to them. I don't know what they could be doing to cause unresponsive browsing. Even .gif heavy threads on NeoGAF load up quickly and work well.

mclem

Hmmm. First problem: How do I make iPlayer happen? I can't download the app; it's 'not for this hardware'. I've seen a suggestion that you should sideload the BBC Media Player then try running it in Chrome, but the BBC Media Player, too, is 'not for this hardware'

Edit: Ah, I was misunderstanding 'sideload'. Now I need to figure out how best to get an apk for the Media Player. I think there's tools to make .apks from installed apps, isn't there? Should it be okay if I just take it directly from my phone?

Phoenix

Wish you could buy this at best buy, I have a $500 credit at BB but they're not selling this or any Windows 8 tablets.

My local Best Buy has Windows 8 tablets in the store. You may want to ask around as mine was in a display towards the back of the section.

tborsje

I just ordered one of these amazing looking things. It'll be my first tablet. 16GB model with a bluetooth keyboard\case. Can't wait to watch some media on that amazing screen!

JCX

I'm looking at a couple of different cases. I just ordered this one

Got the case yesterday. It's similar to iPad folio covers. It automatically wakes up when you open it. the case looks softer than it is, which I like. It also comes with both a stylus and a loop to store the pen, which will be nice for photoshop.

My biggest gripes are having to pop out the bottom of the tablet in order to use the case as a stand, and that there isn't any camera cover.

RuGalz

Got the case yesterday. It's similar to iPad folio covers. It automatically wakes up when you open it. the case looks softer than it is, which I like. It also comes with both a stylus and a loop to store the pen, which will be nice for photoshop.

My biggest gripes are having to pop out the bottom of the tablet in order to use the case as a stand, and that there isn't any camera cover.

It looks like the tablet can fall out just about any time like if you drop it?

just got mine tonight...early christmas gift from the wife

searched 4 walmarts yesterday...

1st one had one but it was labeled open/display (even though it wasn't on display).

went to 3 more walmarts around that and nothing. they all looked at me like i was making it up in my head.

called a walmart today and had customer service search the sku. there were 2 walmarts that were both 40 mins away that had stock. called the first 1, dude had no idea what i was talking about. instead of risking going there and finding nothing i called the other one that was a bit further and they only had one left.

hopped in the car and committed several different speeding infractions on my way to this walmart in BFE. this particular walmart was a madhouse with it being christmas season and all, so i'm glad they still had it. took 10 mins to find the person with the keys though. had 3 or 4 customers around the case so i made sure to tell the three employees milling around that i needed to get the nexus 10 tablet.

there was no way i was walking out without it. success!

tokkun

Not to put a damper on your Walmart saga, but they are for sale at Staples now, both in-store and online. The website will give you stock information for local stores.

just got mine tonight...early christmas gift from the wife

searched 4 walmarts yesterday...

1st one had one but it was labeled open/display (even though it wasn't on display).

went to 3 more walmarts around that and nothing. they all looked at me like i was making it up in my head.

called a walmart today and had customer service search the sku. there were 2 walmarts that were both 40 mins away that had stock. called the first 1, dude had no idea what i was talking about. instead of risking going there and finding nothing i called the other one that was a bit further and they only had one left.

hopped in the car and committed several different speeding infractions on my way to this walmart in BFE. this particular walmart was a madhouse with it being christmas season and all, so i'm glad they still had it. took 10 mins to find the person with the keys though. had 3 or 4 customers around the case so i made sure to tell the three employees milling around that i needed to get the nexus 10 tablet.

there was no way i was walking out without it. success!

hahahah nice, i ordered mine one a few days ago on the Play Store and today is SOLD OUT. So lucky! Now I have to wait for 2 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom