• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 available as of now, starting at $349

Status
Not open for further replies.

mturco

What's your general consensus on the n5 vs the one? I have the One but couldn't resist the nexus at that price

The One is a great phone but the lack of updates for it here in Australia is frustrating, I'm on 4.2.2 and would have to root to get the latest firmware

I compared the two a decent amount on our AndroidGAF blog:
http://androidprism.wordpress.com/2013/11/05/some-thoughts-on-the-nexus-5/

But here are some additional comparisons:
- N5 is way more comfortable to hold
- One is noticeably heavier
- N5 camera is much better
- N5 display is warmer but equally as good in my opinion
- N5 battery life is better (I almost said much better, but my battery life with the N5 has been slightly inconsistent, so I'll refrain from saying much better for now)
- N5 is considerably faster (this is likely a combination of KitKat and SD800)
- Roughly the same size

Edit: Just thought of a few more:
- Wifi reception seems better (haven't decided on LTE radio but it's at least as good)
- One scored much higher on AnTuTu benchmarks which I found laughable considering how opposite the experience is just using the two

The camera on the Nexus 5 is abysmal and the screen is washed out and it has an average battery.

Please don't take one review (TheVerge) as gospel:

DigitalSpy said:
In terms of display quality, the Nexus 5 is very good. It is bested by the LG G2 and HTC One in terms of viewing angles, but only just. Colour reproduction is some of the best in class and when viewed straight on, the Gorilla Glass 3 protected display is one of the best out there.

What LG has done with the Nexus 5 hardware is do away with some of the fluff that makes other phones expensive. The display is 1080p, but doesn't have a ton of fancy processing tech to drive costs up. Instead, it is just pin-sharp and accurate.

TrustedReviews said:
The Nexus 5 uses an IPS display, the same type seen in the iPhone 5S. Viewing angles are perfect, and there's an immediacy to the display that marks it out as a true top-end screen. Lower-end screens tend to appear a little 'recessed', featuring more discrete screen layers, reducing contrast and image pop.

What we're most glad about, though, is how much better colour reproduction is in the Nexus 5, compared to the Nexus 4. LG has clearly been working on its screen calibration skills since that phone, because colours are better-saturated, and without any of the oversaturated reds that are often apparent in AMOLED-type screens.

Outdoors visibility is solid, too. The same high-end screen architecture that makes images look super-lively indoors makes them avoid becoming too washed out outdoors. Top brightness is good rather than truly remarkable, but in actual use we had no complaints with what the screen is capable of. It's a corker.

TechRadar said:
The Google Nexus 5 is based loosely on the LG G2, with the same processor and similar IPS LCD screen, albeit with the new Google phone coming in at a smaller 4.95-inch.

This means that video and internet browsing looks stellar, with colours bright and vivid without looking over saturated, as we've seen on the Super AMOLED screens of the Samsung Galaxy S4 and Note 3.

TechHive said:
The Nexus 5’s 4.95-inch 1920-by-1080-pixel display looks crystal clear and puts the 4-inch display on the iPhone to shame. Text is clear, colors pop, and the screen is readable even in bright sunlight.

mturco

Is there a way to display what kind of network you're connected to? I just popped in the SIM from my iPhone 4S and I get bars, no other information.

A friend of mine borrowed my HTC One when I got it a few months ago (he has an iPhone 5) and he wasn't able to get data to work. We're both on AT&T. I think I remember one of the Verge guys saying there's sometimes issues moving SIM cards between iPhones and Android phones. A quick call to AT&T cleared it up I think.

jey_16

Banned
I compared the two a decent amount on our AndroidGAF blog:
http://androidprism.wordpress.com/2013/11/05/some-thoughts-on-the-nexus-5/

But here are some additional comparisons:
- N5 is way more comfortable to hold
- One is noticeably heavier
- N5 camera is much better
- N5 display is warmer but equally as good in my opinion
- N5 battery life is better (I almost said much better, but my battery life with the N5 has been slightly inconsistent, so I'll refrain from saying much better for now)
- N5 is considerably faster (this is likely a combination of KitKat and SD800)
- Roughly the same size

Edit: Just thought of a few more:
- Wifi reception seems better (haven't decided on LTE radio but it's at least as good)
- One scored much higher on AnTuTu benchmarks which I found laughable considering how opposite the experience is just using the two

Thanks, exactly what I wanted to hear. Confirms what I thought about the One, it's ergonomics are not great with the power button being on top and even though it's metal, without a case it's a bit fragile

mturco

Thanks, exactly what I wanted to hear. Confirms what I thought about the One, it's ergonomics are not great with the power button being on top and even though it's metal, without a case it's a bit fragile

Yeah a few weeks into owning my One, I pulled it out of my pocket and found a shattered camera lens. That was fun. Luckily I was able to replace just the lens by ordering a replacement back and just popping out the glass.

L-gon

The camera on the Nexus 5 is abysmal and the screen is washed out

I don't know who to trust, you or The Verge

It doesn't appear that you are accurately reflecting the sentiments of The Verge:

"Let me just reiterate this point: in the right light, with a steady hand and no moving (or slow-moving) subjects, the camera can take excellent photos."

"... though it can look a bit washed out and desaturated next to a device like the HTC One or the iPhone 5S. But those are relatively minor nitpicks. The screen overall is bright, beautiful, crisp, and accurate." "The phone has an absolutely gorgeous display."

Your comments are hyperbolic at best and come off as disingenuous to those who actually read the review.

kfpkiller

Viewing angles are very bad :/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYt7EPfdsYc

1383691886-98zpjc.jpg

I want the Nexus 5 so bad. This experience with the Google Play Store has really soured my experience of getting my first smart phone. I went from being excited to being really depressed.

verbum

I want the Nexus 5 so bad. This experience with the Google Play Store has really soured my experience of getting my first smart phone. I went from being excited to being really depressed.

Keep the faith and roll with the punches.
I had a horrible experience the first time I activated a smart phone. Took like 3 days to even get working since they kept giving me the wrong network address or would not put the device ID in the their network. It's frustrating to have it in your hands and not be able to use it.
Personally I would calm down, call Google, escalate if need be (while remaining calm) and see if they can give you a little compensation for the difficulties. Like a free case or a refund of the shipping fees.

Keep the faith and roll with the punches.
I had a horrible experience the first time I activated a smart phone. Took like 3 days to even get working since they kept giving me the wrong network address or would not put the device ID in the their network. It's frustrating to have it in your hands and not be able to use it.
Personally I would calm down, call Google, escalate if need be (while remaining calm) and see if they can give you a little compensation for the difficulties. Like a free case or a refund of the shipping fees.

I'm trying real hard. I'm also under stress with my new job, moving to another state, and a few other things. The two Google customer service reps that I called today were no help. If most people were in the same situation as me, I'd feel a little better, but it seems like I seemed to slip between the cracks.

lol come on man. I was a part of the Nexus 4 fiasco and it was a nightmare compared to this.

- Constant web site crashing and errors on release.
- Orders closed off for every country except US.
- Finally ordered in Canada on December 3rd.
- Didn't receive the damn phone until JANUARY 9th.

thespot84

That's why I ordered this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G3JCEC4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

No. The Motorola has a background processor (I think) that allows it to listen anywhere. For the N5 you have to be at the launcher (home screens) for it to detect the "OK Google". Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Well, technically the s800 can do exactly what the moto x does (http://www.qualcomm.com/snapdragon/processors/800, see "Technology that listens to you" on the bottom right) but I'm not exactly sure what's been implemented on the N5.

Huggers

It doesn't appear that you are accurately reflecting the sentiments of The Verge:

"Let me just reiterate this point: in the right light, with a steady hand and no moving (or slow-moving) subjects, the camera can take excellent photos."

Well, that is a lot of 'ifs'. You can pull an iPhone 5 or indeed a Note 3 out and take a snap in any conditions instantly that will be excellent for the most part.

"... though it can look a bit washed out and desaturated next to a device like the HTC One or the iPhone 5S. But those are relatively minor nitpicks. The screen overall is bright, beautiful, crisp, and accurate." "The phone has an absolutely gorgeous display."

Screen is all important to me. I use the phone to watch movies on the train into London so any screen complaint however 'minor' sticks out for me.

Your comments are hyperbolic at best and come off as disingenuous to those who actually read the review.

I read the review. Maybe I interpreted it differently from someone who wants to like the phone. I would admit though that I am overly reliant on The Verge and MKBHD for my phone choices. I have had a lot of smartphones in the last 3 years and I tend to agree with them so it's fair enough.

rc213

Okay, so I'm officially on Team T-Mobile. Called their customer service and got it all worked out. And LTE appears to be working right away. So, good news.

I added an additional $20 in case I go over my 100 minutes. For those of you with T-Mobile - if I end up not going over and don't have to use any of that $20 to cover extra minutes, will that simply be deducted from next month's balance?

(This is the 100 minutes/5 GB plan, by the way.)

Correct. Great plan but it sucks that so many T-Mobile stores refuse to sign you up to the plan in person.

So far after the first full charge, I have 18hrs 43minutes on battery, 1hr 27minutes screen on time with 56% charge left. About 15hrs on WiFi and 3hrs on LTE/4G/3G.

Yeah, I just tested viewing angles and mine are about spot on to mturco's.

Also pretty crazy how much of a step up the camera is coming from the GS3. Just did a quick test for my own curiosity. May not be the best camera, but I'm more than happy.

L-gon

Well, that is a lot of 'ifs'. You can pull an iPhone 5 or indeed a Note 3 out and take a snap in any conditions instantly that will be excellent for the most part.

Screen is all important to me. I use the phone to watch movies on the train into London so any screen complaint however 'minor' sticks out for me.

I read the review. Maybe I interpreted it differently from someone who wants to like the phone. I would admit though that I am overly reliant on The Verge and MKBHD for my phone choices. I have had a lot of smartphones in the last 3 years and I tend to agree with them so it's fair enough.

I only singled out your comments because you used the words "abysmal" and "washed out" as the sole descriptors of the camera and screen respectively - and then proceeded to represent those facets as major takeaways from The Verge review.

If screen is all important to you one would think you would have steered towards a phone with an IPS panel as they tend to produce color much more accurately than Super AMOLED. From The Verge's Note 3 Review:

"Full HD displays are table stakes for any high-end Android phone released in 2013, and while the Note 3’s screen doesn’t blow me away like the LG G2’s or HTC One’s, it’s bright, colorful, and viewable outdoors."

Reallink

The T-Mobile I went to tried to charge is 20 dollars for a new micro. Kinda ridiculous. But they did offer to cut my existing one for free. So for those who are thinking of buying some cutting kits, just take it to tmobile and see if they will cut it for free.

Sims are $20 pure profit for the stores like $100 HDMI cables are to Best Buy. If you call the 1800 number, they're free.

IceIpor

I'm stilling waiting for mine up here in Canadia....

Tomorrow!

... Then Thursday for white!

... then I need to wait for the case and screen protector to come in before I can officially take it outside~.

Huggers

I only singled out your comments because you used the words "abysmal" and "washed out" as the sole descriptors of the camera and screen respectively - and then proceeded to represent those facets as major takeaways from The Verge review.

If screen is all important to you one would think you would have steered towards a phone with an IPS panel as they tend to produce color much more accurately than Super AMOLED. From The Verge's Note 3 Review:

"Full HD displays are table stakes for any high-end Android phone released in 2013, and while the Note 3’s screen doesn’t blow me away like the LG G2’s or HTC One’s, it’s bright, colorful, and viewable outdoors."

Now you're just trying to be clever! The LG G2 would absolutely HAVE to have a custom rom put on it as their skin is a horror show, that's not from the Verge btw, that's all me. And the HTC One (beautiful phone) only has a 4.7 inch screen and so any colour reproduction improvements are negated by inferior size. Next?

L-gon

Now you're just trying to be clever! The LG G2 would absolutely HAVE to have a custom rom put on it as their skin is a horror show, that's not from the Verge btw, that's all me. And the HTC One (beautiful phone) only has a 4.7 inch screen and so any colour reproduction improvements are negated by inferior size. Next?

Haha - Not trying to be clever. Just thought I would point out the humor in your knocking of the Nexus 5's screen when you ended up selecting a device with what most would consider an inferior screen head to head.

One thing we certainly agree on is the shit-show that is LG's skin. Do you plan on running a custom ROM on your Note or does Touchwiz get along fine with you?

Huggers

Haha - Not trying to be clever. Just thought I would point out the humor in your knocking of the Nexus 5's screen when you ended up selecting a device with what most would consider an inferior screen head to head.

Hmm, I'd say that is definitely subjective especially considering size.

One thing we certainly agree on is the shit-show that is LG's skin. Do you plan on running a custom ROM on your Note or does Touchwiz get along fine with you?

Yeah I definitely will. Touchwiz has improved a lot since I last used it speed wise but it's main problem, being ugly as sin, still remains. Nova launcher and custom messaging and dialer apps help but I'll have to do it at some point.

Spinluck

Touchwiz is soooo awful now, and my phone isn't even a yr old.

How does the screen, speakers, camera, and battery life compare to the S3?

I really love the S3's screen.

EDIT:
Also pretty crazy how much of a step up the camera is coming from the GS3. Just did a quick test for my own curiosity. May not be the best camera, but I'm more than happy.

Alright, good to know.

socialQ

Banned
whats the low light photos like? Can someone share links? I want a new phone with a good camera. Leaning towards the 1020 nokia atm (but its windows).

First full day and I'm sitting at 50% battery left, 12 hrs and 20 minutes uptime, LTE all day, 1 hr and 45 min or so screen on time, and lots of pictures with the camera. I also accidentally left WiFi on for most of the day by mistake, and I have like 16% time without signal.

So, yeah, I'm happy.

THRILLH0

Banned
See, when I read things like that I assume your with a pretty shit carrier or something.

The thing people don't understand about Telstra is that your Ping is always around 30ms.

You can even game on their 4G devices and they even sell a router for it.

What plan? Any plan, when I click a video, it fucking loads instantly, when I click any link it loads instantly.

Other carriers in Australia are garbage generally people on those other two get somewhere between 70ms and 180ms Ping's.

I can more about the Ping then I do download speed.

Telstra mobile plans top out at 3gb per month.

jimbor

Banned
My first full day with 3g and WiFi on all day resulted in 11hrs 20m with a screen on time of 4hrs 20m.

That's pretty impressive to me.

zedge

My first full day with 3g and WiFi on all day resulted in 11hrs 20m with a screen on time of 4hrs 20m.

That's pretty impressive to me.

Wow. That sounds pretty good. I average about 2 hrs of screen time a day so should last pretty good.

Azulsky

Have to wait till tomorrow before I can go to the Sprint Store to get a SIM for it. Some folks on the net are saying it was taken care of with chat but the chat rep insisted that my only option was to go to a store.

Sucks getting the 7pm UPS delivery sometimes

I have both a Straight Talk and TMobile SIM arriving tomorrow. Reading the posts here and on XDA, pretty sure I'm gonna stash the ST SIM for a rainy day and go with the $30 TMobile plan. I doubt I'll need to use VoIP, as I barely went over 20 minutes of talk on my last bill with Verizon (which was $130 mind you). We'll see how it goes.

As far as the phone itself. I love it!! Although I think I like the vibrancy of Amoled a bit more. I imagine once I get used to it, I'll change my mind, but I brought up Pen and Paper on my S3 to look at it side by side, and for a game like that the S3 looks better. (Disregarding resolutions and whatnot)

All that aside, this is a purdy phone. Don't regret the white version one bit. A lot of people kept saying that the white's backing didn't feel that great, or was worse than the soft back of the black. It may not feel as nice as the black, but I love the feel. It's matte plastic, but to me, feels like a premium device. Samsung could learn from LG here.

Then again, I don't think Samsung knows how to design a device with good aesthetics.

Only negative I have right now is with the speaker. Seems more quiet than the N4.
I agree actually. It's loud but it's also very easy to cover up with your hand which easily muffles the sound.

tmaynard

Have to wait till tomorrow before I can go to the Sprint Store to get a SIM for it. Some folks on the net are saying it was taken care of with chat but the chat rep insisted that my only option was to go to a store.

Sucks getting the 7pm UPS delivery sometimes

Report back if you were able to obtain one. My local Sprint store said they will never carry SIM cards other than the ones shipped with their devices. However, you'll probably have more luck if your Sprint store also does repairs.

I was able to order one - but if you ordered one over chat within the last couple days you will likely be waiting at least 10 days - possibly more - because all SIM cards are on backorder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom