• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 available as of now, starting at $349

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto-brightness is definitely too aggressive. I sit near a large window at work, and it had the screen brightness jacked up way too high. Hopefully, it gets tweaked in the first patch.

Ferr986

Got mine!
Theres no sign of death pixel and stuff. I hesitated to take out the black sticker on the back, I though it would leave a mess lol

Anyways, loving how fast is it, compared to my old Desire HD. Gotta say at first I missed r the sync with your numbers and facebook accounts (for calendar and stuff) that my old Desi did automatically, but other than that the phone is awesome!

Now I need a case. Hope Google buts theirs soon on the store...

verbum

As this will be my first Android phone, I'm curious as to what customisation options are available? I'm aware Android is much user-orientated than iOS in terms of changing the overall look and feel of the OS, but how limited are the options? Could anyone post a screenshot of their Nexus homescreens? Maybe it could be a 'thing' in this thread...

Already posted but here is an overview of Kit Kat Android 4.4.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uaHnfb31jM&feature=youtu.be

Then just start looking around in the android thread in Off Topic- Community.

Jado

Banned
How annoying. Nearby T-Mobile store would not give/sell me a sim card unless I activated it on the spot with one of the in-store plans. Guess I'll just impatiently wait for the one coming in the mail tomorrow...

The T-Mobile I went to tried to charge is 20 dollars for a new micro. Kinda ridiculous. But they did offer to cut my existing one for free. So for those who are thinking of buying some cutting kits, just take it to tmobile and see if they will cut it for free.

Got mine!
Theres no sign of death pixel and stuff. I hesitated to take out the black sticker on the back, I though it would leave a mess lol

Anyways, loving how fast is it, compared to my old Desire HD. Gotta say at first I missed r the sync with your numbers and facebook accounts (for calendar and stuff) that my old Desi did automatically, but other than that the phone is awesome!

Now I need a case. Hope Google buts theirs soon on the store...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FN7S2CS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

best case

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
No screen protector today, USPS gonna USPS. I got 1-2 day expedited shipping and ordered on Sunday, estimated delivery date was today. Yet the thing still hasn't even left CA and it's supposed to be traveling all the way across the country. I was going to keep the plastic on the front of the phone until I put the screen protector on, but if it's still going to be two more days I might as well remove it now.

Ironically my case arrived Monday, despite ordering it on Sunday with Amazon's free saver shipping.

Edit: And AT&T didn't have any problem just giving me a SIM card for free, but the lady did ask me like 3 times if I had service with them. She wouldn't activate it for me though since I wasn't the account holder, despite the fact I had the passcode. So I had to call it in for activation.

Okay, so I'm officially on Team T-Mobile. Called their customer service and got it all worked out. And LTE appears to be working right away. So, good news.

I added an additional $20 in case I go over my 100 minutes. For those of you with T-Mobile - if I end up not going over and don't have to use any of that $20 to cover extra minutes, will that simply be deducted from next month's balance?

(This is the 100 minutes/5 GB plan, by the way.)

moggio

Banned
As this will be my first Android phone, I'm curious as to what customisation options are available? I'm aware Android is much user-orientated than iOS in terms of changing the overall look and feel of the OS, but how limited are the options? Could anyone post a screenshot of their Nexus homescreens? Maybe it could be a 'thing' in this thread...

You could take a look at this site for some idea of how customisable Android is:

http://mycolorscreen.com/

ajpw

Loving this phone! Currently at nearly 16 hours uptime, 2 hours on screen time and 33% battery left, not bad at all. The icons are so big tho!

Jado

Banned
Caseless is the one true way. Too beautiful to cover up.

I would've agreed with you a few months ago but not today. My Galaxy S3 came with an Otterbox case that protected the phone very well, but make it a lot bulkier than I liked. Went caseless, but now the phone has significant wear (from simple daily travel and use) that will affect resale value. Being that this is a no-contract phone, a lot of us will sell off the Nexus 5 in about a year when the 6 arrives. Good advice is to at least get a slim case to protect from inevitable daily wear and tear.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe I've just missed it but have there been any suggestions for Qi chargers? Google's will inevitably be overpriced so I'm interested in some other options.

Kamek

Just got mine. Probably want to give my Gnex to my mom because she has a horrible phone. Any ideas on how to wipe everything from my phone and give it to her? I also want to untether this device from my google account.

scently

For those that have the phone; how is the sound production on heaphones? is it as good as the HTC One for example? ie sound quality, loudness bass etc?

I would've agreed with you a few months ago but not today. My Galaxy S3 came with an Otterbox case that protected the phone very well, but make it a lot bulkier than I liked. Went caseless, but now the phone has significant wear (from simple daily travel and use) that will affect resale value. Being that this is a no-contract phone, a lot of us will sell off the Nexus 5 in about a year when the 6 arrives. Good advice is to at least get a slim case to protect from inevitable daily wear and tear.
I'm pretty sure this is a, "to each his own" situation. I also had a bulky case for my GS3, took it off a few months ago and mine still looks new. I also don't care about resale. Not everyone needs or doesn't need a case. You gotta weigh the options.

Also I really like the back of this phone. It's a royal shame that a case has to cover up the Nexus logo. Part of the reason I won't bother. Flip cover, maybe, but mostly because I like having a microfiber flip cover to deal with fingerprints.

I'm pretty sure this is a, "to each his own" situation. I also had a bulky case for my GS3, took it off a few months ago and mine still looks new. I also don't care about resale. Not everyone needs or doesn't need a case. You gotta weigh the options.

Also I really like the back of this phone. It's a royal shame that a case has to cover up the Nexus logo. Part of the reason I won't bother. Flip cover, maybe, but mostly because I like having a microfiber flip cover to deal with fingerprints.

Definitely. I absolutely would not use a case on my GNex, and it worked until a few months ago. Cracked the screen, and then cracked the replacement's screen in the span of two weeks. I felt like I learned my lesson, and ordered a case for my Nexus 5.

thespot84

From that devindra review:

Despite those improvements, Google Now still feels more deeply integrated in the Moto X. That phone sports a processor that’s always listening to your voice commands, allowing you to shout Google Now queries even when it’s in standby. Though the Moto X sports much slower hardware than the Nexus 5, that phone’s voice integration and unique gesture features (you can flick it twice to launch the camera) give us a far better glimpse of Android’s future.

Doesn't the s800 support always-listening once the phone is on? The point seems slightly moot.

Definitely. I absolutely would not use a case on my GNex, and it worked until a few months ago. Cracked the screen, and then cracked the replacement's screen in the span of two weeks. I felt like I learned my lesson, and ordered a case for my Nexus 5.
I hear ya, I would actually consider a case if I had the black model, there are a lot of nice black cases, but not any white ones I can find that look good.

Can't wait till I get home. Already have the xda pages open to root and unlock the bootloader.
MY BRO! :) I'm doing the same as soon as mine arrives.

Zeppu

In the works. Could use subtitle suggestions though.

You should start leaking out parts of the OT, bit by bit, until we have basically all the OT. Then start leaking multiple random dates when you're going to post the OP. Then randomly post it at one of the dates.

It'll help us relive the experience.

Huggers

TouchWiz is an abomination, and slow OS updates are hell.

Touchwiz has improved and isn't so bad these days, especially with 3 gigs of RAM although stock Android is definitely superior. The camera on the Nexus 5 is abysmal and the screen is washed out and it has an average battery.

The Note 3 on the other hand has arguably the best camera on a phone right now (Nokia 1025 included). A monsterous battery that goes on for days and the screen is a beast. I weighed everything up and despite having Nexus devices in the past went with the Note. Can always stick a custom Rom on it at some point if necessary but really with certain tweaks and Nova launcher it's not really a necessity

mturco

I can testify to the screen not being washed out. I have no idea why anyone would say that. I have it right next to my HTC One on my desk with the same wallpaper and they are both extremely similar. If anything, the Nexus 5's screen is warmer, but just as vibrant.

scently

I can testify to the screen not being washed out. I have no idea why anyone would say that. I have it right next to my HTC One on my desk with the same wallpaper and they are both extremely similar. If anything, the Nexus 5's screen is warmer, but just as vibrant.

Oh good, somebody that has the HTC One. Please, can you comment on the sound production of the N5 on headphones when compared to the HTC One? I mean; sound quality, loudness, bass etc. I would really appreciate it.

Zeppu

Oh good, somebody that has the HTC One. Please, can you comment on the sound production of the N5 on headphones when compared to the HTC One? I mean; sound quality, loudness, bass etc. I would really appreciate it.

I'd like to know this too please.

Took some pictures this evening of fireworks in the garden, can't get over how much better this camera is in low-light. My only gripe would be the camera can be a bit slow to start up.

Quick test: Music playback is louder through headphones than the N4. Pretty sure the loudspeaker is a tad louder as well.

Screen: Colours definitely more vibrant on the N5.

GusBus

I've found that many Android phones have a problem with higher headphone volume (not ear splitting, but even a comfortable setting).

thespot84

I've found that many Android phones have a problem with higher headphone volume (not ear splitting, but even a comfortable setting).

i don't understand, too loud or too soft? My GNEX had a surprisingly good DAC, one of the few things it does well.

Malo

Banned
This is what I am doing. I need a new phone and my contract is up in July. So thankfully the N5 has all bands and supports Sprint. So I am activating on Sprint and will decide to move elsewhere after. After several years being contract free, I hopped on a contract for my GN. Never again, I will be staying contract free from here on out.
My contract is up in May. Like you, I need a new phone since my galaxy nexus is on its last legs and I would like to stay contract free for the forseeable future.

the sound from the headphone port is frustrating on the n4. I eventually looked into it and discovered the franco kernel allowed you to increase the gain and play around with the sound volume.

mturco

I'd like to know this too please.

Ok so I just tested both phones listening to 3 different songs (with the same headphones obviously). I actually hadn't listened to music on the N5 yet so I had no idea what to expect. I actually think the Nexus 5 produces better audio output. The most noticeable difference was the clarity.

Now, two disclaimers: (1) I'm not an audiophile. Both sound very good to my ears (certainly much better than the Galaxy Nexus I had a few months ago). (2) I'm running the Google Play Experience ROM on my HTC One. Now Beats audio is supposed to be supported on it (and the option in the Sound settings has it enabled), but I'm not 100% sure that audio sounds as good on this ROM as it does on the stock Sense ROM. Just wanted to mention that detail.

But yes, to my ears, the Nexus 5 sounds better. The speakers are another story entirely obviously.

Knight77

Ok so I just tested both phones listening to 3 different songs (with the same headphones obviously). I actually hadn't listened to music on the N5 yet so I had no idea what to expect. I actually think the Nexus 5 produces better audio output. The most noticeable difference was the clarity.

Now, two disclaimers: (1) I'm not an audiophile. Both sound very good to my ears (certainly much better than the Galaxy Nexus I had a few months ago). (2) I'm running the Google Play Experience ROM on my HTC One. Now Beats audio is supposed to be supported on it (and the option in the Sound settings has it enabled), but I'm not 100% sure that audio sounds as good on this ROM as it does on the stock Sense ROM. Just wanted to mention that detail.

But yes, to my ears, the Nexus 5 sounds better. The speakers are another story entirely obviously.

Thanks for The info! if everything goes well tomorrow I will be able to perform the same test. I am not audiophile but anyway a lover of hi-fidelity sound, will test with Audio Technica and some god JVC earphones and headphones.

kris.

Banned
So for people who've been using it, worth the money? I've got a One X and the screen is cracked to hell and I don't get an upgrade til next November. $350 seems like something I can save up for for a few weeks and I've always loved the idea of a pure Google phone.

mturco

Thanks for The info! if everything goes well tomorrow I will be able to perform the same test. I am not audiophile but anyway a lover of hi-fidelity sound, will test with Audio Technica and some god JVC earphones and headphones.

Just listened to some Daft Punk on both and I think the HTC One might have slightly stronger bass but the two are very similar and I'm having a very hard time deciding which sounds better. They're both very good.

jey_16

Banned

What's your general consensus on the n5 vs the one? I have the One but couldn't resist the nexus at that price

The One is a great phone but the lack of updates for it here in Australia is frustrating, I'm on 4.2.2 and would have to root to get the latest firmware

tirminyl

Caseless is the one true way. Too beautiful to cover up.

That's why I ordered this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G3JCEC4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Doesn't the s800 support always-listening once the phone is on? The point seems slightly moot.

No. The Motorola has a background processor (I think) that allows it to listen anywhere. For the N5 you have to be at the launcher (home screens) for it to detect the "OK Google". Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom