• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 available as of now, starting at $349

Status
Not open for further replies.
Patience my friend, you have every right to overeact. Just give it some time. Btw they are shipping according to what, I don't think its according to who ordered first.

It's definitely not first come first serve based on this thread and others like it around the internet. Imagine if someone who ordered their PS4 today get's it before someone who pre-ordered the first day it was available. That's unacceptable.

I wish Amazon had it day one. Amazon knows how to run a fucking store.

zbeeb

2hr27min screen on time, 20% battery remaining. (3G)

Well, that's a bit shit.

First run? battery will improve after a week.

You also need to remember (I'm assuming as it's new) the phone usage was fairly intensive today. Lots of downloading/updating apps, settings things up, background processes, etc.

edit: Zeppu beat me to it!

Fraxin

It's definitely not first come first serve based on this thread and others like it around the internet. Imagine if someone who ordered their PS4 today get's it before someone who pre-ordered the first day it was available. That's unacceptable.

I also really hoped Amazon would sell it. Still Beats me why Google only sells it from its store. Are they prioritizing shipments randomly?

OmegaFax

I also really hoped Amazon would sell it. Still Beats me why Google only sells it from its store. Are they prioritizing shipments randomly?

Amazon was listed as one of the retail partners over on Google's official blog when they announced it last week. I'm guess, like Best Buy, they'll have it by the end of the week. The question is how Amazon is going to sell it and how much of a markup, if any, they'll put on the phone. Best Buy sells it with a $100 markup.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky

The store said ships by November 5th.

Is it November 6th yet?

GJS

It was the same with the nexus 4 launch, they just seem to ship randomly.

tirminyl

Seems the issue with the Sprint 32gb black N5's are resolved and are activating now. I contacted Sprint chat and ordered a UICC and will get that tomorrow along with my phone. I will then be rocking tomorrow night getting things all setup. So excite!

The store said ships by November 5th.

Is it November 6th yet?

As I said, the google play customer service rep couldn't tell me if it is going to be shipped today at all. Why should people that ordered hours or the next day after get theirs before me?

With Amazon, I'm pretty confident that I'm going to get the PS4 and Xbox One on release day, unless something happens with UPS or whoever is delivery it.

nico1982

Why should people that ordered hours or the next day after get theirs before me?
It might depend on a multitude of factors. Stock allotment per country for example, and specific model availability. I don't know if it is common practice to batch up orders before shipping them.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
As I said, the google play customer service rep couldn't tell me if it is going to be shipped today at all. Why should people that ordered hours or the next day after get theirs before me?

With Amazon, I'm pretty confident that I'm going to get the PS4 and Xbox One on release day, unless something happens with UPS or whoever is delivery it.

I would guess there's more to ordering and distribution than just "time the order was placed," could be lag time between payment confirmations, stocks at distribution centers, capacity with shipping companies filling a certain amount per shipped unit... I can't blame the CSR for not knowing "when exactly it would ship," I am sure once the order is placed it's passed through a bunch of stuff they don't have much control over.

At any rate if you order something on Amazon for "release date delivery" sure you'll get it on release day. All that the Nexus page said was ships by November 5th.

Jado

Banned
What day did you order? Mine says November 8th but I only ordered yesterday so I don't expect it to be shipped until later in the week.

I also had a "Ships By November 8" 32GB Black. I ordered first day it went on sale, after the "first batch" of that version sold out. My shipped notice was on Friday, but UPS tracking didn't start until early Monday for a Wednesday delivery date. Nice little update today:

Scheduled For Early Delivery On:
Tuesday, 11/05/2013, By End of Day

Originally Scheduled For Delivery On:
Wednesday, 11/06/2013, By End of Day

Quite fast overall. I'm impressed.

First discharge? Don't judge a battery by the first run. First couple of days when you're happy with a new device are never a good indicator of everyday battery life.

First run? battery will improve after a week.

You also need to remember (I'm assuming as it's new) the phone usage was fairly intensive today. Lots of downloading/updating apps, settings things up, background processes, etc.

edit: Zeppu beat me to it!

I did all my updating/playing about last night. Today's usage has just been periodic Web browsing, screen brightness at 13%. I've been using Chrome, which is a battery hog, unfortunately AOSP browser on the play store doesn't support 4.4 yet.

I'll give it a week, if things don't improve then bye bye N5, hello G2. :-(

Dinosur

Loving KitKat so far. Only thing that took me more than a couple seconds to figure out was how to add extra home screens.

how do you install or activate widgets ??

for a weather app for example ?

Long press on a home screen (like how it was pre-jelly bean).

tmaynard

Seems the issue with the Sprint 32gb black N5's are resolved and are activating now. I contacted Sprint chat and ordered a UICC and will get that tomorrow along with my phone. I will then be rocking tomorrow night getting things all setup. So excite!

What chat did you use to order? Also, are you on a SERO plan?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Use a two-finger swipe down and then press and hold on wi-fi to toggle it. Works pretty damn well, actually.

Still a backwards and stupid way of doing it. It should be the other way around (tap to toggle, long press to get into the settings), like it is in CM. Makes much more sense, since you're more likely to quickly want to toggle something. I also like the CM option to open the quick toggle shade by swiping with one finger from the right side of the status bar (swiping from the middle or the left opens the normal notification shade), as it makes one-handed use more convenient. Google should steal both of those things for vanilla Android.

GAF bros on T-Mobile, be sure to call them to get your IMEI in their system. Otherwise, LTE won't work properly. Google hasn't given them all the IMEI's, so the Nexus 5 isn't in their system yet.

I called yesterday to add mine, and today, my phone has full speeds again.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
GAF bros on T-Mobile, be sure to call them to get your IMEI in their system. Otherwise, LTE won't work properly. Google hasn't given them all the IMEI's, so the Nexus 5 isn't in their system yet.

How do I do this exactly?

Called google about my dead pixels last night. Much to my surprise they were still answering the phone after 8PM PST. They issued a replacement no questions asked. They provided a new UPS shipping label so I can send back the old phone once the new phone arrives. Only downside is it looks like I'm back to the end of the queue. Last night it said my order would ship in 3-4 weeks, but this morning it's down to 2-3 weeks. Keeping my fingers crossed that the new phone doesn't have any of those other issues mentioned.

Odinson

Thanks! I got my micro sim card on Sunday and they disable the current one I have in my GNEX. Had to wait 24rs for them to get it updated. Now I have to get another micro from the retail store or wait 24hrs for them to re-activate the micro. I'm just going to swing by the t mobile store at lunch if I get my phone by then and get a new one.

Thanks! I got my micro sim card on Sunday and they disable the current one I have in my GNEX. Had to wait 24rs for them to get it updated. Now I have to get another micro from the retail store or wait 24hrs for them to re-activate the micro. I'm just going to swing by the t mobile store at lunch if I get my phone by then and get a new one.

Wait, it seriously takes 24 hours to activate a new sim card?

Yeah, that works too. I did that when I got my Nexus 4. Ran to the T-Mo store near my job, and they activated the SIM super fast.

The SIM will work, but you'll be throttled. You become un-throttled after you activate the new IMEI and wait 2 hours or so.

hitsugi

Camera still seems to focus slowly, but does take very sharp photos. Unfortunately, Camera Zoom FX is completely broken on it. Hopefully that gets resolved

Odinson

To be clear I was doing a sim reuse. I still need to use my GNEX as I wouldn't have the N5 until today. And that takes 24hrs. Updating the sim the lady said it could take up to two hours but it was only a few minutes after she did it.

On the subject of T-Mobile:

Do they sell SIMs (microSIMs in this case) in store, or are they only available online?

Picked mines up in store.

Just the standard T-Mobile number? And you literally say "I want you to add my IMEI to your system for LTE?"

Maxrunner

To be fair, Josh railed on iOS7. He really, really hated it. He uses a Moto X as his daily driver, and thinks Apple lost the plot in terms of software.

He's just really into cameras, and he likes the iPhone's, for good reason. Apple puts a lot of work into their cameras and software, and Google doesn't. That's evident by the fact they changed nothing about the poor stock camera app, except adding ONE feature: HDR+. Apple overhauled the whole thing, and added a lot of goodies.

KitKat's camera app deserved similar treatment.

Yet, iphone 5s got almost a 9, i think they gave it a 8.8....

o thanks had no idea about the throttling on new sims, was wondering why i was only getting 12 down 2 up. I just called Tmo and just kept repeating "speak to a representatitve" til they put a guy on the line. Dude was super surprised I got a Nexus 5 already and was bummed when I told him its already sold out on the Google Play store

Gotcha.

Is everyone here on the $30 T-Mo plan? I'm thinking about giving it a shot this month.
I just switched to it. It's..... Kind of weird I guess. Texts through Voice or whatever. Haven't tried Hangouts yet but not sure if it is updated on the N4 yet.

Voice calls.... I need to find a VOIP solution so minutes aren't used. I was going to go GrooveIP but they have a notice up saying the service will essentially be disabled by May?

I'm kind of experimenting with Talkatone. Really just a lot to experiment with to see what works best.

I just switched to it. It's..... Kind of weird I guess. Texts through Voice or whatever. Haven't tried Hangouts yet but not sure if it is updated on the N4 yet.

Voice calls.... I need to find a VOIP solution so minutes aren't used. I was going to go GrooveIP but they have a notice up saying the service will essentially be disabled by May?

I'm kind of experimenting with Talkatone. Really just a lot to experiment with to see what works best.

Yeah, any VoIP solution that relies on Google Voice will be shut down at that time.

Yeah, any VoIP solution that relies on Google Voice will be shut down at that time.

But this seems to be an indicator that Google Voice/Hangouts integration will be done by that point. So hooray for that.

What's the data consumption like for VOIP calls, by the way? For instance, how much data would a 10-minute call consume?

L-gon

Still a backwards and stupid way of doing it. It should be the other way around (tap to toggle, long press to get into the settings), like it is in CM. Makes much more sense, since you're more likely to quickly want to toggle something. I also like the CM option to open the quick toggle shade by swiping with one finger from the right side of the status bar (swiping from the middle or the left opens the normal notification shade), as it makes one-handed use more convenient. Google should steal both of those things for vanilla Android.

The improvements you mention make a great deal of sense and they've already implemented the rightward one-finger swipe down in the tablet versions of android.

Hopefully they'll make the notification/settings shade interactions customizable in a future update.

But this seems to be an indicator that Google Voice/Hangouts integration will be done by that point. So hooray for that.

What's the data consumption like for VOIP calls, by the way? For instance, how much data would a 10-minute call consume?

That's the silver lining, I suppose. I think all of the other loyal Google Voice users share my concern about possibly losing features as a result of the integration.

Regarding data consumption:

About.com says 0.5 MB/min for G.729 codec (most popular):

http://voip.about.com/od/voipbandwidth/f/How-Much-Of-My-Mobile-Data-Plan-Does-Voip-Consume.htm

Husker86

The improvements you mention make a great deal of sense and they've already implemented the rightward one-finger swipe down in the tablet versions of android.

Hopefully they'll make the notification/settings shade interactions customizable in a future update.

I don't know if that would be ideal on a phone though. If I'm using the phone with my right hand I am much more likely to swipe the right side of the notification shade when I want to look at notifications.

Obviously it's something they could have done and decided it might be somewhat confusing for new users.

I'm all for the ability to have the option though!

Called the Google store. They couldn't tell me if the package would ship today or in a couple days. Thanks for absolutely nothing.

I know your feel. My buddy ordered 4 minutes after me. My order was placed Oct 31st 2:51 pm.

It seems they are shipping at random. I'm reading online people with 2-3 weeks have already got shipping notifications. It's such a piss off!!

I would guess there's more to ordering and distribution than just "time the order was placed," could be lag time between payment confirmations, stocks at distribution centers, capacity with shipping companies filling a certain amount per shipped unit... I can't blame the CSR for not knowing "when exactly it would ship," I am sure once the order is placed it's passed through a bunch of stuff they don't have much control over.

At any rate if you order something on Amazon for "release date delivery" sure you'll get it on release day. All that the Nexus page said was ships by November 5th.

That's understandable... if google is covering the shipping. But if we're forking out cash on the shipping costs there isn't a reason not to do a first come first serve method.

Kintaco

What are those speeds looking like? I'm switching from an iPhone 4 so I've never had LTE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom