• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 available as of now, starting at $349

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doopliss

The decoder on this phone doesn't seem to like Giant Bomb videos. Even at sub-HD quality they don't play smoothly. Viewing them on Youtube works but I find that a pretty terrible viewing experience, with its nearest-neighbour scaling and lack of skip-forward/back-15-seconds buttons. I'd much rather use giantbomb.com or this app.

Jado

Banned
Just got mine while I was at a meeting. I ordered the $0 micro sim card online but doesn't come until tomorrow.

How much for the micro sim in-store? I read some stores hassle you with a hefty markup or even refuse to give you one.

Just got mine while I was at a meeting. I ordered the $0 micro sim card online but doesn't come until tomorrow.

How much for the micro sim in-store? I read some stores hassle you with a hefty markup or even refuse to give you one.

Should be free. Way the rep explained it to me is that activating a Sim is free, only when they scan a Sim out does it charge $10. Either way if you're already a account holder they'll more than likely credit the account for a Sim charge.

GAF bros on T-Mobile, be sure to call them to get your IMEI in their system. Otherwise, LTE won't work properly. Google hasn't given them all the IMEI's, so the Nexus 5 isn't in their system yet.

I called yesterday to add mine, and today, my phone has full speeds again.
The $30 plan has LTE or is this another plan?

Jado

Banned
Thanks. So they will charge me $10 if I want to take the sim card and activate it myself for the T-mobile $30 online-only plan, while in-store plan activation = free sim?

edit: $30 plan has 5GB of LTE.

Malo

Banned
So, here's my situation with Sprint and this phone:

I'm eligible for an upgrade/contract renewal at the moment, got another 4 months or so until I'm able to get out of the contract if I want to. I really want to get a new phone and I'm a sucker for Google products, so it's either buying the phone outright from Google and being able to take it to T-Mobile later on the year or renew my Sprint contract, get the Nexus 5 with them and use the Sprint One-Up program to upgrade said phone if I want to a year from now, but stay with them two more years...

What would you guys do if you were in the same boat, Android-GAF? D:
Buy it outright from google. I'm on sprint as well and plan on moving to t-mobile next year. Why lock yourself in a two year contract when you get it for $350 off-contract? And you'll save yourself an upgrade if you decide to stay with sprint.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Andrex, the OT should be titled "Nexu5 |OT|”

Rootbeer

Banned
my free microsim from tmobile should arrive on the 8th. My N5 however, should arrive today. I'm tempted to go to a local tmobile store and get the kit that way, but I guess I've waited this long to get a new line, so what's a few more days... can't wait to see what the LTE coverage is like in my area though.

You guys know that if you sign up for UPS My Choice (free) that it will show a delivery estimate on your delivery, right? Mine says between 11am and 3pm, though probably 75% of the time they always deliver at that time for me, so I guess it's not all that helpful... :p

Okay, I picked up microSIM from T-Mobile during my lunch break, but when I go to activate it online, it's asking for an activation code. I don't know where that's located.

Was I supposed to be given another card along with the SIM? The T-Mobile employee didn't seem to know what she was doing, so it's entirely possible.

Jado

Banned

I'm eligible for an upgrade/contract renewal at the moment, got another 4 months or so until I'm able to get out of the contract if I want to. I really want to get a new phone and I'm a sucker for Google products, so it's either buying the phone outright from Google and being able to take it to T-Mobile later on the year or renew my Sprint contract, get the Nexus 5 with them and use the Sprint One-Up program to upgrade said phone if I want to a year from now, but stay with them two more years...

Bail on Sprint right now and pay the $100 ETF (based on your remaining time), sell your phone to recoup the fee, buy the Nexus 5 directly from Google, switch to Tmobile or some other prepaid service.

I was in a similar spot and weighing those same options. I will be paying about $160 ETF and really don't care. I'm over-paying almost $80 after corporate discount for Sprint, the absolute worst 3G and 4G in the US and stuck in two-year cycles waiting for my next upgrades. It sucks ass and the numbers no longer make sense. I will be saving a lot more in the long-run by eating the ETF today, switching to a much cheaper plan and buying Nexus phones from now on. Forever done with contracts.

I would avoid the early upgrade plans, unless you're really impulsive about upgrading to expensive high-end phones (e.g. Note 3, iPhone) every 6 months. In such a case, the only decent option is T-mobile Jump. Sprint's One Up is worse. AT&T Next and Verizon Edge are complete rip-offs in the most literal sense of the term and should be avoided at all costs (search online why they're ripping off customers).

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
For all of you guys who are going to get charged for a new SIM, or are buying new microSIMs; if you have a normal SIM, why don't you try cutting it down to micro size first?

There are cutters online for like $3 on amazon (looks like a stapler) that even come with adaptors for nano -> micro, micro -> normal, or you can just look up the dimensions and cut it with a pair of scissors.

There are no differences in hardware between the SIMs other than just the physical size.

You can try saving yourself a few bucks first since you were just going to replace it anyway.

Should be as simple as cut it, pop it in, call T-Mo or whoever and say add me to LTE.

For all of you guys who are going to get charged for a new SIM, or are buying new microSIMs; if you have a normal SIM, why don't you try cutting it down to micro size first?

There are cutters online for like $3 on amazon (looks like a stapler) that even come with adaptors for nano -> micro, micro -> normal, or you can just look up the dimensions and cut it with a pair of scissors.

There are no differences in hardware between the SIMs other than just the physical size.

You can try saving yourself a few bucks first since you were just going to replace it anyway.

Should be as simple as cut it, pop it in, call T-Mo or whoever and say add me to LTE.

I went to Poundland and got an o2 micro-sim and used that as a template to cut my old sim down with scissors. I did have to slightly file it to make it fit in the sim tray but it worked perfectly.

EmiPrime

Now, the Android landscape is even more competitive, and we have other devices that offer a “pure Android” experience (the Google Play versions of the Galaxy S4 and HTC One). If Google can unofficially turn the best Android smartphones on the market into Nexus-like devices, what purpose does a new Nexus serve?

The only phones I have ever seen on the Play store are the Nexus 4 and 5. I am guessing that the Google Play HTC One and S4 are US exclusive.

But as other Android phones get cheaper, other manufacturers and carriers move quicker with Android updates, and Motorola continues to spearhead Android hardware innovation, the Nexus line’s days seem numbered.

The Moto X isn't available outside the US.

So there's his answer: Not everyone lives in America.

SimleuqiR

Of course their is a place for Nexus devices. What in the world is this guy smoking? Can I have some?.

You think OEM are going to give Google even more control on the OS level when they ship their phones? Phones may ship with the Play Store, but I have my doubts OEMs will not muck up what Google is doing with every new revision of their the OS. And you will definately get a very waterdown Google "experience" of the box.

But as other Android phones get cheaper, other manufacturers and carriers move quicker with Android updates, and Motorola continues to spearhead Android hardware innovation, the Nexus line’s days seem numbered.

The only reason Moto is actually making theses amazing changes is because..well Google bought them? Gasp! And the reason the Moto X is so pleasantly useful is because it follows Vanilla Android almost to the T in design and functionality.

Tenacious-V

I went to Poundland and got an o2 micro-sim and used that as a template to cut my old sim down with scissors. I did have to slightly file it to make it fit in the sim tray but it worked perfectly.

Yeah I had some friends who had to file the back a little bit and others who just had to cut the border.

Other than that though, everyone here should give it a shot first if they're going to charge you. And you could probably get switched to LTE today as well by just calling in.

Man, can't believe it hasn't even been a whole year since the 4 came out. I remember that day it arrived, and my Nexus 4 was brand spanking new.....Good feeling...

Because the sim cards were $.99 + tax? Why would I pay 3-5x the price to cut my current sim card down?

Totalriot

I have just received mine but I have a problem: It does not find my WLAN access point. I have three TP-Link APs and it won't find any one of them. Instead it finds WLAN networks I have never seen before, so the antennas seem to work. None of my other WLAN devices have any problems connecting.

I am using WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK security but even when I disable all security completely it will not find my network. Adding it manually (Although it broadcasts it's SSID) only gives the message "out of reach".

Does anyone has an idea? What can I do?

Edit: I have found the solution. This is really strange. I had to change the channel from 12 to 1 and now it works. Sucks so, no one else in the neighborhood used 12.

Tenacious-V

Because the sim cards were $.99 + tax? Why would I pay 3-5x the price to cut my current sim card down?

There are people saying $10 for a new SIM. That's ridiculous. And I said $3 was one of the options, the other is a pair of scissors and a google search. I'm pretty sure everyone has scissors, and google doesn't charge you to look up shit.

Free still beats .99 + tax. And if you were planning to buy a new one anyway, might as well give cutting the old one a shot first, as you're just gonna toss it out anyway if you buy a new one.

Also, you won't have to wait a day to activate it, or for shipping, or anything else. Cut it, put it in, call in for LTE if you need to. Whole process should take like 15 minutes.

There are people saying $10 for a new SIM. That's ridiculous. And I said $3 was one of the options, the other is a pair of scissors and a google search. I'm pretty sure everyone has scissors, and google doesn't charge you to look up shit.

Free still beats .99 + tax. And if you were planning to buy a new one anyway, might as well give cutting the old one a shot first, as you're just gonna toss it out anyway if you buy a new one.

Also, you won't have to wait a day to activate it, or for shipping, or anything else. Cut it, put it in, call in for LTE if you need to. Whole process should take like 15 minutes.

I'd rather pay $.99 than try to struggle with cutting it right and sanding it to fit. To each his own.

tirminyl

Buy it outright from google. I'm on sprint as well and plan on moving to t-mobile next year. Why lock yourself in a two year contract when you get it for $350 off-contract? And you'll save yourself an upgrade if you decide to stay with sprint.

This is what I am doing. I need a new phone and my contract is up in July. So thankfully the N5 has all bands and supports Sprint. So I am activating on Sprint and will decide to move elsewhere after. After several years being contract free, I hopped on a contract for my GN. Never again, I will be staying contract free from here on out.

freshair

You can also just walk into any AT&T/T-Mobile store or mall kiosk and ask to use their sim cutter.

That's what I did on my home from work with my N4.

Dinosur

What the hell is your problem? You're using snark over someone paying $.99? Get a life.

He's being helpful.

Case in point: The only GoPhone sim card AT&T sells online is regular size. The closest store to me is an hour and a half away.

So yeah man, filing the damn thing down (which cost $10) sounds a lot more enjoyable than making a three hour round trip this weekend.

He's being helpful.

Case in point: The only GoPhone sim card AT&T sells online is regular size. The closest store to me is an hour and a half away.

So yeah man, filing the damn thing down (which cost $10) sounds a lot more enjoyable than making a three hour round trip this weekend.

No, being insulting isn't being helpful. It's especially funny since he was telling people to spend $3 but not $1 is too much and apparently you're too retarded to cut in a straight line if you do. He was attempting to be helpful but decided to be an asshole instead.

what i suggest you do is buy it from Google, activate it and then when your contract is up, switch.

what i would do is irrelevant because i'm on SERO!

Tenacious-V

What the hell is your problem? You're using snark over someone paying $.99? Get a life.

And seems UPS won't be delivering while I'm home today so hopefully they'll actually deliver tomorrow. :(

Lol, I just find it funny how dismissive you are when I was saying for people to give a free option a shot before buying something new. Especially since they'll just throw it out anyway, there's absolutely no harm in giving it a shot first.

Then you dismiss that, saying you'd rather pay than even put any effort into it like it's so difficult. How would you know it's difficult if you don't even try? You just don't want to put any effort into it.

There's a difference between something actually being difficult, and someone being too lazy to try so he dismisses it as something hard.

Where's the harm in someone taking 15 minutes with a pair of scissors, if it doesn't work, then by all means buy a new one. I was just giving people more options than spending more money when they can try something else first.

That's why I was mocking you, light hearted I thought as well.

Shambles

I'd rather pay $.99 than try to struggle with cutting it right and sanding it to fit. To each his own.

I don't think there's any point in busting out sand paper. Scissors would be enough. When I got my N4 I had to remove 98% of the plastic portion of the card so it was basically just the chip portion of the card left and it went in fine. Really if you're going to go out and get a new SIM anyways why not take the 30 seconds to try to trim your old one down. Worst case scenario you cut through the chip, wreck it, and end up buying a new SIM anyways.

JoeFu

Banned
what the fuck? seriously, how do some people manage to have jobs doing this type of work?

The comments are killing the reviewer, its hilarious.

I like how one pointed out the N5 was upside down next to the other phones... really showed how much work he put into the review and the pictures.

Lol, I just find it funny how dismissive you are when I was saying for people to give a free option a shot before buying something new. Especially since they'll just throw it out anyway, there's absolutely no harm in giving it a shot first.

Then you dismiss that, saying you'd rather pay than even put any effort into it like it's so difficult. How would you know it's difficult if you don't even try? You just don't want to put any effort into it.

There's a difference between something actually being difficult, and someone being too lazy to try so he dismisses it as something hard.

Where's the harm in someone taking 15 minutes with a pair of scissors, if it doesn't work, then by all means buy a new one. I was just giving people more options than spending more money when they can try something else first.

That's why I was mocking you, light hearted I thought as well.

Uh, $3 isn't free last I checked. Good thing you completely changed your initial argument though.

I don't think there's any point in busting out sand paper. Scissors would be enough. When I got my N4 I had to remove 98% of the plastic portion of the card so it was basically just the chip portion of the card left and it went in fine. Really if you're going to go out and get a new SIM anyways why not take the 30 seconds to try to trim your old one down. Worst case scenario you cut through the chip, wreck it, and end up buying a new SIM anyways.

I'm just going off the how to guides I read a couple weeks ago saying the lines usually don't come out straight when cutting and you usually have to sand the rough edges to make it fit.

Tenacious-V

Uh, $3 isn't free last I checked. Good thing you completely changed your initial argument though.

Right, so you have selective reading I see as well....

So now I have to quote myself? First you don't want to put any effort with scissors, then you don't even finish reading posts either. Yeesh guy...

Notice the bold part in that post? I was giving more than one option. But I guess you just didn't feel like reading that part.

jokkir

Hey, for those who has a Nexus 5 already, can you check in the camera app when you hold on the screen how long it takes to open up the controls?

I want to see if it's the same as this Nexus 4 ROM or if Google added some sort of delay before opening the controls.

Hey, for those who has a Nexus 5 already, can you check in the camera app when you hold on the screen how long it takes to open up the controls?

I want to see if it's the same as this Nexus 4 ROM or if Google added some sort of delay before opening the controls.

There's a DEFINITE delay over the Nexus 4. I hate it.

Symphonia

Banned
As this will be my first Android phone, I'm curious as to what customisation options are available? I'm aware Android is much user-orientated than iOS in terms of changing the overall look and feel of the OS, but how limited are the options? Could anyone post a screenshot of their Nexus homescreens? Maybe it could be a 'thing' in this thread...

Huggers

The Verge review badly put me off this phone. Got a Note 3 instead. Absolutely beautiful phone, even touchwiz can't ruin it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom