• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

nexus 5 battery problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys. Wondering if anyone here has the same issue as me.

My nexus 5 was running great for ages but a few months ago (possible around lollypop release) I started to get strange battery issues.

Its not as simple as poor battery life. The battery reporting is totally off as well. But the battery does drain really quickly now as well.

Sometimes the phone will die at about 20-30%. Then when you turn it on again its actually at 0%.

Sometimes it shuts down at 50-60% then when you restart its still at that same level but quickly shuts off again. Plug it in and the phone turns on and is still at 55% so I don't know what's happening there.

Sometimes I have tried charging when it dies while switched off. Wait till its charged. Turn on and it might be 60-70%. Repeat this till 100% when switched on. Then it will start dying again at 20-30%.

If I charge it like this just once, switch it on and its 70%. It will then normally die at 0%.

So is my battery just basically dead or is it the phone?

Any tips would be great thanks.

Lollipop fucked my Nexus 5 too. Went from needing to charge at 10pm on an average working day to needing charge at 3pm. The handset also turned itself off regularly following that update also. Thankfully , my contract was expiring around that time so I upgraded to an M8 and I'm now living the good life.

No idea about Nexus 5, but my Nexus 6 lasts at least 4 years.

Huh?

Anyway, yeah your phone doesn't sound good. I was also very unhappy with the battery on 5.0.1, it'd go down 30% over a few hours of being untouched, 5.1 has greatly improved the phones performance though.

I would imagine your issue is the battery as opposed to anything else.

Huh?

Anyway, yeah your phone doesn't sound good. I was also very unhappy with the battery on 5.0.1, it'd go down 30% over a few hours of being untouched, 5.1 has greatly improved the phones performance though.

I would imagine your issue is the battery as opposed to anything else.

I hope so as I could then just replace the battery. I'll wait till I get 5.1 and see if that helps.

Just find it odd that if it was just the battery why would the battery reporting be so wrong.

I wish it had easy to change batteries.

linkboy

Have you tried a factory reset?

It might not help, but 5.0 has been screwy for some people, especially after an OTA update.

I hope you get it figured out.

linkboy

Not yet. I might do that tonight. Will I lose my contacts or are they attached to my google account?

Your contacts should be on your google account. You can sync them if you go to accounts and then sync your google account. Also, back anything up that you don't want to lose, as a factory reset will basically restore you're phone to stock and erase anything on it.

EqicDodoO

Do you have an exchange account on your phone?
I had the same problem and on my N5 it was constantly refreshing without getting any mail.

So i deleted the account and everything seems fine again

Does the battery usage screen say anything noteworthy? I've had some apps go crazy after after the Lollipop update on my Shield Tablet, and until the most recent update performance and battery were all over the place.

Sch1sm

I noticed the same thing on my Nexus 5. It stopped at some point, just all on its own, without an update. I've yet to move up to 5.1 despite the OTA sitting in my tray much to Groof's distaste. Have you tried singling out any rogue applications?

No idea about Nexus 5, but my Nexus 6 lasts at least 4 years.

Nothing lasts that long in this market.

Your contacts should be on your google account. You can sync them if you go to accounts and then sync your google account. Also, back anything up that you don't want to lose, as a factory reset will basically restore you're phone to stock and erase anything on it.

Ok I'll back up pics and stuff and possibly try it if I have time. Thanks

Do you have an exchange account on your phone?
I had the same problem and on my N5 it was constantly refreshing without getting any mail.

So i deleted the account and everything seems fine again

I have nothing auto refresh. No push notifications. Accept WhatsApp and Viber and hangouts. Anything else I refresh manually.

Does the battery usage screen say anything noteworthy? I've had some apps go crazy after after the Lollipop update on my Shield Tablet, and until the most recent update performance and battery were all over the place.

Nope. Its normally just the usual screen, idle time, etc

No apps hogging anything.

I pretty much always turn off things like location services and pish notifications on any phone I get as I have little value from them and prefer better battery life.

The Hermit

Try to do what I did with my G3: Deplete The batery to zero, at least a couple of times.

Another thing that did wonders to my bat life was Battery Doctor.

Try to do what I did with my G3: Deplete The batery to zero, at least a couple of times.

Another thing that did wonders to my bat life was Battery Doctor.

Tried both things. Made no difference.

I have gone through and deleted every app I really don't use and see if that does anything to

Edit: oh and just to add how messed up it is, sometimes my battery % will go up. Looking at the graph now over the passed 40 mins its gone up by about 1-2%

The other day the graph had 2 spikes where it had gone up by about 10-15%. Its messed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom