• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 |OT|

Arjen

Anyone know how and if you can turn off the proximity sensor? Crack in my screen is just in front of the sensor making the screen go black the second I make a call.

Ark

Okay I'm confused. My Nexus 5 has had no problem connecting to my Windows 8.1 pc for months, it's always been fine. But today I plugged it in and windows won't recognise it, anyone know why this is? I cannot get it to work at all.

EDIT: Nvm, Windows had decided to install some different drivers.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Thanks for the help a while back folks - got my N5 rooted with no issues.

Next question!

Is there something I can install to block these damn YouTube ads?

solid mike

Just got my Nexus 5 3 days ago

Any recommended apps?

So far I've gotten

8SMS to replace hangouts
Pushbullet
Swiftkey (especially because I use two languages)
Greenify
Quickpic to replace stock gallery

Thanks in advance Nexus5GAF

th3dude

I'm starting to notice a significant increase in battery drainage over the last few weeks. I am stock not rooted. Battery settings show nothing strange. Screen and OS are the main users of power.

I'm down 40% from just 6 hours ago with only 30 minutes of screen time.

Am I due for a clean reflash or is there something else I can do?

jimbor

Banned
I'm starting to notice a significant increase in battery drainage over the last few weeks. I am stock not rooted. Battery settings show nothing strange. Screen and OS are the main users of power.

I'm down 40% from just 6 hours ago with only 30 minutes of screen time.

Am I due for a clean reflash or is there something else I can do?

Sometimes the G+ app goes crazy.

Shouta

Have they upgraded past Kitkat 4.4.4 yet? That and 4.4.3 were the ones that were draining the battery like nuts because of the wifi, I believe. I had to go back to 4.4.2 to avoid it. >=|

keezy

Hey, guys. So I'm very tempted to pick up a Nexus 5 as I've been using the 5s for close to a year now and have the itch to jump back on Android with L approaching. Any rumblings of a Nexus 6 at all?

I'm literally the exact opposite lol. Is your iPhone on ATT? Want to trade? :p

thespot84

Have they upgraded past Kitkat 4.4.4 yet? That and 4.4.3 were the ones that were draining the battery like nuts because of the wifi, I believe. I had to go back to 4.4.2 to avoid it. >=|

4.4.3 has a significant auto-rotation bug, at least on my moto x (seems to not be limited to a specific phone). Turn off auto rotation and your cpu usage should go way down.

EmiPrime

Despite nothing untoward showing up in wakelock detector my battery life has been kind of crap lately. Android L can't come soon enough.

Dawg

My nexus 5 randomly reboots every day. Only happens like once or twice, but still.

Was watching a show on VLC and it suddenly 'crashes' to the google bootup logo and I'm back at the lockscreen. Really annoying.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
My nexus 5 randomly reboots every day. Only happens like once or twice, but still.

Was watching a show on VLC and it suddenly 'crashes' to the google bootup logo and I'm back at the lockscreen. Really annoying.

This happened to me once when I was running on ART runtime. Switched back to Dalvik and it hasn't happened since.

Dawg

Yeah, well it just happens randomly here. While browsing, calling someone, watching a video, ...

Talking about video, playback seems jittery to me. Low framerate? Maybe just VLC, it's still in beta after all.

EmiPrime

I have been on Android L for a week, no crashes, just some glitchiness with Chromecast screen casting sometimes. If your Nexus 5 is rebooting randomly you are doing something wrong.

VLC is a beta and when you run it warns you as such. Use MX Player instead.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I have been on Android L for a week, no crashes, just some glitchiness with Chromecast screen casting sometimes. If your Nexus 5 is rebooting randomly you are doing something wrong.

VLC is a beta and when you run it warns you as such. Use MX Player instead.
I've been using it as a daily driver since it came out. Perfectly good. And yeah, mx player is the best.

I've been having this issue with the Nexus 5 for the last month or two-- my widgets won't refresh/ don't work properly. I can't seem to figure out a fix to save my life. Shutting the phone off and rebooting works very briefly but they stop working again soon after.

Anyone else have this issue and / or have any solutions?

EmiPrime

I've been having this issue with the Nexus 5 for the last month or two-- my widgets won't refresh/ don't work properly. I can't seem to figure out a fix to save my life. Shutting the phone off and rebooting works very briefly but they stop working again soon after.

Nope. Have you tried using a different launcher to see if you can replicate it?

DXPett1

Did you previously force a OTA by clearing Google Services Framework trick?

Mayyhem

I really cannot stand my s4 anymore. Too many problems.

Really want to get a Nexus 5 ASAP but I'm worried a new and improved Nexus 6 will just come out before my N5 even gets delivered to me and I will regret it.

Panda Rin

Really want to get a Nexus 5 ASAP but I'm worried a new and improved Nexus 6 will just come out before my N5 even gets delivered to me and I will regret it.

at this point I would wait for the announcement.

hitsugi

Any idea when we will hear about the new nexus? Still debating waiting for it or fixing my screen.

I believe you can RMA it one time, no questions asked, through Google. I'd look into that before fixing it yourself regardless of an impending release

aasoncott

Dropped my Nexus 4 last week and it's dying a fast death. Caved and bought a Nexus 5, currently on its way.

Oh man did I make a huge mistake? Are Google actually about to announce a new phone? Or are people just waving their arms around for no reason?

So, I cracked my screen. Used my insurance with T-mobile to get a new phone. I think I still have an option to jump. Would you jump to the new phone or stay with the recently replacement?

Talon

I don't think they dropped the price of the Nexus 4 when the Nexus 5 came out so I would say not very likely. But prices on Ebay and Swappa will go down of course.

Oops. Never mind then.
You know, I've been thinking about this more, and I think it's unlikely we'll see a big Nexus 5 price drop like we did with the 4. The 4 had a big knock against it with the lack of LTE, the tiny storage amounts and poor battery life, so clearing out stock made sense.

The 5 is still pretty competitive, and they could probably clear stock at the $350 price point for a while.

That said, there have been more and more deals on eBay in the last few weeks of the phone going around $325, so maybe we will see this thing drop to $300 or even $250. Have a hard time seeing it reach $200 like the Nexus 4 8 GB.

mturco

You know, I've been thinking about this more, and I think it's unlikely we'll see a big Nexus 5 price drop like we did with the 4. The 4 had a big knock against it with the lack of LTE, the tiny storage amounts and poor battery life, so clearing out stock made sense.

The 5 is still pretty competitive, and they could probably clear stock at the $350 price point for a while.

That said, there have been more and more deals on eBay in the last few weeks of the phone going around $325, so maybe we will see this thing drop to $350 or even $250. Have a hard time seeing it reach $200 like the Nexus 4 8 GB.

Agreed. Maybe once the new Nexus devices are on the Play Store we'll see a price drop to clear remaining inventory but I agree that the N5 has sold way better than the N4.

co1onel

Might as well wait now, and even if you don't care for the Nexus 6, you should still be able to get the Nexus 5 for cheaper after it comes out.

Bullza2o

My family is considering moving to T-Mobile soon. I know this is the Nexus 5 thread, but I'd like to know if T-Mobile usually carries Nexus phones (and will also carry the Nexus X/6). I haven't seen any Nexus devices on AT&T on the other hand.

Rootbeer

Banned
what is the likelihood that the N6 (or whatever equivalent there is to it, if it ends up happening) will be based off the LG G3, as the N5 was similar to the LG G2?

I ask because the G3 was released in May, meanwhile the G2 and N5 were both released within a similar timeframe, so I am hoping the N6 will use some more powerful components than what is found in the G3.

Thoughts?

It may be unlikely but I am hoping for a fingerprint scanner to have better parity with the latest Apple phones.

Actually I am not opposed to sticking with my N5 for another full year if the N6 doesn't have much new to offer. The N5 is a nice phone.

mturco

My family is considering moving to T-Mobile soon. I know this is the Nexus 5 thread, but I'd like to know if T-Mobile usually carries Nexus phones (and will also carry the Nexus X/6). I haven't seen any Nexus devices on AT&T on the other hand.

They do carry the Nexus 5 but don't buy it from them. They want $100 more for it than Google charges on the Play Store. As a general rule, always buy Nexus devices from the Play Store and then bring them to carriers, especially for warranty reasons.

what is the likelihood that the N6 (or whatever equivalent there is to it, if it ends up happening) will be based off the LG G3, as the N5 was similar to the LG G2?

I ask because the G3 was released in May, meanwhile the G2 and N5 were both released within a similar timeframe, so I am hoping the N6 will use some more powerful components than what is found in the G3.

Thoughts?

It may be unlikely but I am hoping for a fingerprint scanner to have better parity with the latest Apple phones.

Actually I am not opposed to sticking with my N5 for another full year if the N6 doesn't have much new to offer. The N5 is a nice phone.

Pretty unlikely at this point. All signs point towards Motorola making it... that said we haven't seen any actual pictures so anything is possible.

Relevant: http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/0...more-alleged-shamu-specs-affirms-5-9-display/

Bullza2o

They do carry the Nexus 5 but don't buy it from them. They want $100 more for it than Google charges on the Play Store. As a general rule, always buy Nexus devices from the Play Store and then bring them to carriers, especially for warranty reasons.

Thanks for the info! Do you know if Google lets you finance a phone? I'm assuming the next Nexus would be around $500 if it has beastly specs as the rumors say.

mturco

Thanks for the info! Do you know if Google lets you finance a phone?

I don't think so.

I'm assuming the next Nexus would be around $500 if it has beastly specs as the rumors say.

Not necessarily. The Nexus 5 had very competitive specs last year too. In the AndroidGAF hangout we were talking about this and we think if they do two different sizes (5.2" and 5.9") the smaller one could be $350-400 and the larger one could be $400-450.

I doubt we'll see a Nexus device of any kind hit $500 (phone or tablet).

EmiPrime

No luck, I even asked if there was a replacement program but nope. They gave me LG's number.

I think I need to look into wireless earphones, damn wires cost me my phone. :(

mturco

No luck, I even asked if there was a replacement program but nope. They gave me LG's number.

I think I need to look into wireless earphones, damn wires cost me my phone. :(

Well that's a bummer. Have you looked into screen replacements? Probably less worth it for a Nexus which is already so cheap.

EmiPrime

I think getting it repaired, giving it to my mum and then getting the next Nexus might be an idea, I dunno. I am so mad at myself.

Bullza2o

Not necessarily. The Nexus 5 had very competitive specs last year too. In the AndroidGAF hangout we were talking about this and we think if they do two different sizes (5.2" and 5.9") the smaller one could be $350-400 and the larger one could be $400-450.

I doubt we'll see a Nexus device of any kind hit $500 (phone or tablet).

Cool thanks a lot! I'm definitely looking forward to it as an alternative to an iPhone 6 Plus as my next phone upgrade, coming from a Lumia 920. My uncle's Nexus 5 is amazing albeit the horrendous battery life. I guess the biggest factor for this phone is if its battery has been upgraded substantially this time.

Top Bottom