• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 6P | OT | Its also the best Android Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunofsam

Nice! That's awesome.

I wonder if Telus would replace my 6P... this battery life is killing me.
I know they won't.

Telus sent mine for repair middle of August. Said I still had warranty until end of August(extended by manu)

Works like new, Oreo and Battery is only hitting 15% after all day use. No more flash turning off.

Give them a call.

I bought my Nexus 6P directly from Huawei which was a huge mistake. The phone is still functioning just fine, (I throw it on the ground, let battery draining apps run wild, etc...) but I know the day is probably coming and I'll be ass out looking for a new phone because as far as Huawei is concerned I'm not even a blip on the radar.

But I did get a damn good deal by combo with their smart watch.

neoemonk

I saw the Reddit thread on Friday. I have been having the battery issue. It started months ago at around 15%, then bumped up to 20%, and last week I had my first shutdown at 30%.

I was honestly just trying to hold out and pick up an iPhone 8 when it launched, and was Googling around seeing if there was anything I could do to make my battery not suck so bad when I happened across that Reddit thread. I gave it a shot, and after about 20 minutes in the online chat they decided to do a replacement. I got my Pixel XL on Tuesday and I really like it so far, but if it starts having dumb hardware problems obviously that will suck.

I bought my Nexus 6P in February of 2016, and if I could have I would have gone three years on it. I really did like the phone, but I can't turn down the free upgrade and now I don't have to spend the cash on a new phone.

If you do reach out to support, I told them I did a factory reset and disabled bluetooth. The guy sent me an email with a bunch of stuff, and I got it and told him I already did everything on the list before.

After a few minutes wait he came back with some "amazing news!" that they were doing the free replacement, and it would be for a 128 GB Pixel XL. I was originally a Project Fi customer, but switched to AT&T prepaid because the price was the same and the service in my area is better. I still had to arrange everything through Project Fi support and I didn't have any issues. I recommend anyone having the battery issue to give it a shot.

_RT_

Had been calling Google all the time about my problems. They are finally replacing my 6p as well. Primarily battery and bootloop issues.

New Pixel XL is on the way.

Anyone apply the latest monthly update? My phone went from 100% to 0% from 5:00 AM to 3:00 PM. Just normal usage. -_- Can't wait for the Pixel to arrive.

This'll probably be the last time I come in here to tell you how much Huawei is a crappy company, but I did end up getting a replacement phone (out of my own pocket). Didn't want to spend a lot and just wanted something with expandable memory and a long battery life, so I bought an ASUS Zenfone 3 Zoom. Final cost to me was $330, after tax, and it came with a $50 Cricket refill card, so it really was about $280 for the phone all said and done. Still envious of all you crazy Pixel XL transfers, but I at least will have some fun marveling at a freaking 5,000 mAh battery.

Also getting a Pixel XL replacement in for my launch 6P on Monday. Support chat was super quick and easy, but it was still a tough decision whether to do this or replace the battery. If it was just slowly losing SOT like a normal phone, it would have been no biggie. But surprise phone death has gotten me stuck in some inconvenient situations and it really feels stressful and constricting.

The 6P has been by far my favorite cellphone to date, and this replacement process just cements that legacy.

Fucking hell.

Looks like Google has stopped offering the Pixel XL replacements and now is just forwarding people - myself included - to Huawei, with the justification that they can't do anything because the device is out of warranty.

Had I done this TWO DAYS AGO, I'd have gotten a Pixel XL. But now I'm screwed.

Fuck you, Google. Had my phone die on me at 30% battery in the middle of a fucking foreign country, traveling alone, two months ago. You know how fucking scary that is?

D87vLQo.png

Won't be missing this.

I got super lucky. Heard about that Pixel warranty stuff for the 6p. Talked to google chat about it friday. Already have a hold on my card for the amount! Currently using the Moto z2 Force I got from work for being the Moto Squad Ambassador. Cant wait for that Pixel 2!

Fucking hell.

Looks like Google has stopped offering the Pixel XL replacements and now is just forwarding people - myself included - to Huawei, with the justification that they can't do anything because the device is out of warranty.

Fuck you, Google. Had my phone die on me at 30% battery in the middle of a fucking foreign country, traveling alone, two months ago. You know how fucking scary that is?

Did you buy it from Google directly? I didn't and they sent me to Huawei (who told me to piss off). It seems basically everyone having issues that bought it direct from Google is getting hooked up.

Fucking hell.

I jumped ship to an S8+ and never looked back.

I'm debating selling my new Pixel for the Note 8.

I will prolly wait until the Pixel 2 and make my decision between the Note 8, Pixel 2, and iPhone X.

Did you buy it from Google directly? I didn't and they sent me to Huawei (who told me to piss off). It seems basically everyone having issues that bought it direct from Google is getting hooked up.

Yep, bought it directly from Google (through Project Fi, actually, though I eventually dropped the service).

Made one last-ditch effort by posting in the Project Fi help forms, though I'm not optimistic it will make a difference.

Pretty sure I'm done with buying Google hardware after this experience. Fuck them.

My phone has been sitting at a Fedex place since earlier evening yesterday and it hasn't moved. What the fuck? I fucking hope FedEx didn't lose my shit...

I got my Nexus 6p almost 2 years ago. November 2015 I believe. Battery issues happened for so long. Phoned up Huawei and they fixed it (changed battery) around May this year. No problems and they were happy to fix.

My network provider, gave me the phone as part of my service.

It's weird how it's happening for everyone at the same time, my phone was dying at around 15%, which I was tolerating, and now it jumped to around 30%, which I am not tolerating. And coincidentally it looks like I'm about 3 days late to free stuffs.

Boogie9IGN

My phone has been sitting at a Fedex place since earlier evening yesterday and it hasn't moved. What the fuck? I fucking hope FedEx didn't lose my shit...

Fedex did that with a package of mine a few weeks ago. Usually just means the driver didnt get to your package/place in time and is going to try again later (a day or two depending on if it's over the weekend)

vypek

Happened to me as well cause I stupidly used a drop box not knowing it was only for express packages. But once it got to the right Fed ex center, Google acknowledges that they have the phone. Even if it doesn't arrive.

The next time I was sending a package back I brought it to USPS first and the same day that I did, Google claimed they received it.

Edit: oh you might mean delivery and not a return. Lol. If so, my bad

Happened to me as well cause I stupidly used a drop box not knowing it was only for express packages. But once it got to the right Fed ex center, Google acknowledges that they have the phone. Even if it doesn't arrive.

The next time I was sending a package back I brought it to USPS first and the same day that I did, Google claimed they received it.

Edit: oh you might mean delivery and not a return. Lol. If so, my bad

Yeah I meant delivery. It says it's supposed to be here tomorrow but how the fuck has it not moved in 24 hours when it's 2 day shipping?

vypek

Yeah I meant delivery. It says it's supposed to be here tomorrow but how the fuck has it not moved in 24 hours when it's 2 day shipping?

IDK why that happens with Fed Ex but I've had similar experiences in the past when ordering something from Amazon or other retailers. A package somehow manages to just sit at their place without moving. Sometimes took an extra business day or two and I don't understand why

I wonder if it might be that it's the service where they turn it over to USPS for final delivery

IDK why that happens with Fed Ex but I've had similar experiences in the past when ordering something from Amazon or other retailers. A package somehow manages to just sit at their place without moving. Sometimes took an extra business day or two and I don't understand why

I wonder if it might be that it's the service where they turn it over to USPS for final delivery

It still hasn't fucking moved...

I think I'm saying goodbye to this defective piece of junk and buying an S8.

Not a huge fan of Samsung, but they seem to have improved their phones a lot (exploding batteries notwithstanding) and I'm tired of worrying about this phone randomly dying on me.

th3dude

It is shipping today! It finally moved!

When did you get your order in?

I'm in the camp of folks that ordered last Thursday and still hasn't budged.

I'm US, btw.

Edit: Nvm, I see that you were dealing with a FedEx issue, not Google sitting on the order.

Nice! I just got my shipping label today but it says it has a delivery date of tomorrow so I won't hold my breath for tomorrow lol.

Same question to you, though. When did you order? I haven't heard a peep from Google about my order processing other than it is 'confirmed'.

I'm US, btw.

Edit: Nvm, I see that you were dealing with a FedEx issue, not Google sitting on the order.

Same question to you, though. When did you order? I haven't heard a peep from Google about my order processing other than it is 'confirmed'.

Google's been sitting on my order too. -_-. Ordered on the 14th. Supposed to have shipped on the 15th but nothing yet.

I distinctly remember the order tracking being totally borked when I bought my 6P in November 2015.

From what I remember, Google was sending shipping notices and letting the phones sit for days before they actually went anywhere.

Seems like that's still happening. Bizarre.

It's weird how it's happening for everyone at the same time, my phone was dying at around 15%, which I was tolerating, and now it jumped to around 30%, which I am not tolerating. And coincidentally it looks like I'm about 3 days late to free stuffs.
I hear ya. I didn't notice the battery drain much until recently. It had a habit of dying at like 10-15%, but that was tolerable. Last week it died at 25ish%.

I read about the Pixel XL from RMA, but I held off on contacting support cause I've been crazy busy. Guess I waited too long cause I had no luck from customer service today.

Supha_Volt

Neo Member
I did my Rma on 17th through assurant and got a tracking number this morning. It just says a label has been created so it hasn't shipped yet or at least hasn't updated it yet. When did you place yours??

I'm US, btw.

I did it Thursday and they shipped it Friday. And it has been delivered. I have a nice present when I come home :).

Sorry that this is a double post, but am I the only one who did get any instructions on how to send back the Nexus 6P? They said they'd pay for the shipping back but I got fucking nothing. Call them?

jvm

Gamasutra.
I bought directly from Google and I'm getting sent to Huawei. They want $165 to replace the battery. Pretty angry about it.

Any suggestions?

Here are the instructions I got. You'll need to get your own RMA labels, though.

About the replacement process

By choosing to receive a replacement before sending us your old device, you agree that we may place a temporary authorization hold for the replacement device value on your payment method. This is not a charge and will be removed.

Return your old device within 21 days of the replacement device shipment date to avoid being charged. If your old device is not returned within 21 days, we will charge your payment method for the full price of the replacement device (plus tax and shipping, if applicable).

Preparing to return your device

1. Print the attached return label (RMA) and pre-paid shipping label.
2. Remove the SIM card (if applicable).
3. Reset your device to factory settings, if applicable: Phones and tablets, Chromecast, Chromecast Audio, Chromebook, Nexus Player, Watch
4. Pack the device securely to avoid damage in transit, and place the device and return label (RMA) form in a shipping box.Important: Be sure to include your power cable, power adapter, and HDMI extender with your device. Important: Keep your charger and accessories with you, as your replacement device may not contain a charger.
5. Put the shipping label on the outside of the shipping box.

How to ship to us

1. Check the attached shipping label for your return instructions.
2. Make note of the tracking number on your shipping label if you would like to monitor the status of your return on the carrier website.

Understand your warranty coverage

You may incur charges up to the full price of your item if our service center determines the issue with your returned device isn’t covered under warranty. Refer to the warranty card in the packaging or the manufacturer’s website for more details on your limited warranty.

Your statutory rights under warranty are not affected by the above language.

If you have any questions, please reply directly to this email.

linkboy

I bought directly from Google and I'm getting sent to Huawei. They want $165 to replace the battery. Pretty angry about it.

Any suggestions?

Best bet would be to buy a battery online and take it to a cell phone repair store if you're not comfortable doing it yourself.

Should be a lot cheaper then $165.

Huawei is really dropping the ball with how they've handled this issue. It hasn't effected me with the two 6P's that I've had, but my Huawei Watch 2 is the last product I'm going to buy from them because of how they've handled this.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Best bet would be to buy a battery online and take it to a cell phone repair store if you're not comfortable doing it yourself.

Should be a lot cheaper then $165.

Huawei is really dropping the ball with how they've handled this issue. It hasn't effected me with the two 6P's that I've had, but my Huawei Watch 2 is the last product I'm going to buy from them because of how they've handled this.

Who is a reliable source for batteries? :( I don't want to sink cash into this, risk opening the phone, and get a bum battery even then...

Edit: Huawei phone guy was very patient, despite my pressing intensely to get a replacement. Did not appear to be American, but had very good English. He finished with a very interesting comment: "I want you to know that I am trying to do my job. That doesn't mean that I don't understand or empathize with your situation." Very well said, and I thanked him for the thought, despite my anger.

linkboy

Who is a reliable source for batteries? :( I don't want to sink cash into this, risk opening the phone, and get a bum battery even then...

Edit: Huawei phone guy was very patient, despite my pressing intensely to get a replacement. Did not appear to be American, but had very good English. He finished with a very interesting comment: "I want you to know that I am trying to do my job. That doesn't mean that I don't understand or empathize with your situation." Very well said, and I thanked him for the thought, despite my anger.

I'm not sure as I haven't had to look into replacing a 6P's battery (I've been pretty lucky with both the 64 and 128GB models I had, I upgraded to a Pixel XL in July).

I'm thinking eBay or Amazon would probably be your best bet. It's a shame this phone is having these issues, as it was a damn good phone when it released.

wowzors

So less than a month ago I got a replacement from Google for my shitty Nexus 6p. Yesterday my refurb shut down at 35%, is Google going to tell me to stick it or is the refurb I got covered in some way? It might technically be like 34 days old if the warranty is only 30 days.

th3dude

So less than a month ago I got a replacement from Google for my shitty Nexus 6p. Yesterday my refurb shut down at 35%, is Google going to tell me to stick it or is the refurb I got covered in some way? It might technically be like 34 days old if the warranty is only 30 days.

You'll just have to try.

Consensus is that they aren't doing replacements anymore, but I've seen some folks getting accepted in Reddit threads.

You certainly have a good case.

It should be in the email they sent with the link for the RMA.

Yep, I got them and I didn't see them initally all the way at the bottom. Printed them out. Will probably ship it out this weekend. I really do wish the battery's quality wasn't shit on the 6P as I really did love that phone.

wowzors

You'll just have to try.

Consensus is that they aren't doing replacements anymore, but I've seen some folks getting accepted in Reddit threads.

You certainly have a good case.

They are sending me a new Pixel XL 32gb, they didn't argue or anything it was a pretty quick chat. May have been lucky due to this one being a recent refurb I received.

th3dude

They are sending me a new Pixel XL 32gb, they didn't argue or anything it was a pretty quick chat. May have been lucky due to this one being a recent refurb I received.

That's great!

They are quite backlogged right now, at least in the US. Orders from Thursday are just starting to ship today. Hoping mine does soon.

I hear ya. I didn't notice the battery drain much until recently. It had a habit of dying at like 10-15%, but that was tolerable. Last week it died at 25ish%.

I read about the Pixel XL from RMA, but I held off on contacting support cause I've been crazy busy. Guess I waited too long cause I had no luck from customer service today.

Crazy busy. :/

It literally took me 10 minutes through text chat on the phone while I did other tasks.

Damn traitor! Will never forgive you. We won't forget this!!!

Just when I thought I was out...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom