• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 6P | OT | Its also the best Android Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are they still replacing batteries? My phone pretty much always shuts off once it reaches 15% now. I thought it had something to do with power saving mode but it still continues after I turn it off. My battery life seemed great for a long time but now it requires multiple charges a day even if I am just on the internet. I'm from Canada if that changes any replacement service.

A second problem I've been having recently is the phone dropping my wifi connection. I don't know if this is because I've dropped the phone a couple times (screen is perfectly fine still), but it will just randomly drop my wifi connection and reconnect.

MattDoza

Are they still replacing batteries? My phone pretty much always shuts off once it reaches 15% now. I thought it had something to do with power saving mode but it still continues after I turn it off. My battery life seemed great for a long time but now it requires multiple charges a day even if I am just on the internet. I'm from Canada if that changes any replacement service.

A second problem I've been having recently is the phone dropping my wifi connection. I don't know if this is because I've dropped the phone a couple times (screen is perfectly fine still), but it will just randomly drop my wifi connection and reconnect.
Same here. Never experienced any early shutdowns and now they're a guarantee at 15% and sometimes in the 20% range. Really bumming me out.

I sometimes have to wait for an unusually long reconnect time if I leave my phone idle for a while, it will struggle to reconnect to my WiFi. Sometimes I just get impatient and just try to force connect it to my 2.4ghz channel and then quickly back to the 5ghz.

I guess I should contact Google. I still deal with the weird microphone issue of people on the other end having a hard time hearing me when the call is first connected.

Supha_Volt

Neo Member
It's been happening more and more quite recently. It started off at 10% but seems to jump about 5% every 5 months. Guess I'll be out looking for a new phone to buy...

wowzors

Everyone complaining about the battery in this thread.

Contact Google if you bought it through the Google store. It is a known problem and they will replace it. I bought my phone the day it came out and contacted them due to this two weeks ago. They sent me a refurbished phone in 2 days and gave me 21 days to send my old one in.

Ballistik

Contact Google if you bought it through the Google store. It is a known problem and they will replace it. I bought my phone the day it came out and contacted them due to this two weeks ago. They sent me a refurbished phone in 2 days and gave me 21 days to send my old one in.

Yeah if you guys bought it from Google, they will most likely offer you a replacement for free no matter how long ago you bought it. They did offer it to me, problem was that I have a crack on the screen and they warned me I wold get charged if it had any other issues aside from the battery, so I didn't want to risk it.

GTI Guy

Yeah if you guys bought it from Google, they will most likely offer you a replacement for free no matter how long ago you bought it. They did offer it to me, problem was that I have a crack on the screen and they warned me I wold get charged if it had any other issues aside from the battery, so I didn't want to risk it.

Just called google and they took care of me. It was a bit painful as the guy was not seasoned. Bottom line is that they overrode the out of warranty charge, so let's see how my replacement phone works.

My fine died at 15% the other day, but otherwise has been fine. Do we know what causes he boot loop problems? I'd uhhhh like to try and avoid running into that issue.

Bought it as a refurbished phone from Best Buy, so even though I have the receipt, I'm not sure if Google it whomever would even cover it anymore. Had it for about 15 months now with no real issues.

Desperado

I've had lots of shut downs around 15% and a couple in the 40-50% range last winter. I just arranged a replacement through the Google Fi customer service online chat. I got the phone back in December 2015 so obviously it was out of warranty, but they said they would process it as a "one time exception."

I've read that people who have gotten replacements have had the same problems with their new device. Honestly if the new one has about the same problems as my current device, I can deal with it, but if I start getting more high-percentage shutdowns...

I had my Nexus 6P be at 70% and I started up a game, that isn't that intensive, and got to the first level and then it died immediately from there. Holy fuck...

Called Google. They were like, "We see your phone is rooted, so we recommend a factory reset." I doubt that'll help anything, but I guess I'll SBF to Oreo and see.

So my fast charging stopped working yesterday till I restarted the phone. (via the Google charger + USB C to C cable). Regular charging via USB B to C cable + Kindle charger worked fine. Anyone else face this?

Pyrokai

I had a friend install a fresh battery on mine. Seems like a whole new phone again especially after putting Oreo on it and factory resetting. Has done wonders for me. I even got a replacement back panel (new color!) so I'm hoping this last me another two years at most.

Gonna have to do the same for my sister's 6P. She got hers after me and isn't experiencing the early shut down yet.

So my fast charging stopped working yesterday till I restarted the phone. (via the Google charger + USB C to C cable). Regular charging via USB B to C cable + Kindle charger worked fine. Anyone else face this?

The USB B > USB C was never a fully "fast charge" despite what your phone says. I have a 3A aftermarket charging block from Voluntz that even with the stock USB C cord, won't take more than 2.2-2.5 A, which is fast, but not 75% in 20 minutes fast.

The USB B > USB C was never a fully "fast charge" despite what your phone says. I have a 3A aftermarket charging block from Voluntz that even with the stock USB C cord, won't take more than 2.2-2.5 A, which is fast, but not 75% in 20 minutes fast.

Ah right. I wasn't looking for fast charge via USB B to C. Just wanted to say that "regular charge" was working but "fast charge" wasn't before the reboot. Seemed like a very peculiar issue.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife

True Story: I bought mine through ProjectFi and I was have shutdown for months anywhere between 15% and 40%. I told the agent my phone was shutting down and I wanted a replacement (I have Nexus Protect too). I was told to do energy saving stuff on my phone. I was like I already do that. Then they say do it again and contact them in a few weeks.

I had the biggest fuck this shit face. Since then I hardly turn my phone on at all. Fuck it.

I got my battery replaced at a local shop this week and let me tell you guys it's made a world of difference.

Went from 2:15-2:30 screen on time to 4:00 screen on time. Highly recommend it for people with battery issues.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I got my battery replaced at a local shop this week and let me tell you guys it's made a world of difference.

Went from 2:15-2:30 screen on time to 4:00 screen on time. Highly recommend it for people with battery issues.

How much did that set you back, if you don't mind me asking?

Ah right. I wasn't looking for fast charge via USB B to C. Just wanted to say that "regular charge" was working but "fast charge" wasn't before the reboot. Seemed like a very peculiar issue.

Ok, I see what you're saying. I ran into a similar issue when I upgraded to 7.1.2 and my phone wouldn't recognize fast charge from anything but the stock charging block. Ampere showed it would take the normal 2.2-2.5A, but my lock screen message wouldn't recognize "fast charge" until I reflashed a new ROM with an updated bootloader.

I'd assume a place that advertises battery replacement would be able to do it. Look around for local shops with good reviews.

$70 Canadian, with the new battery included in the price (they stocked OEM batteries themselves).

How long did it take them. Any damage to the phone at all?

How long did it take them. Any damage to the phone at all?

An hour and a half. There a little light scratching in the very bottom right of the back of the phone from where they had to pry it open (and the guy at the store warned me that that would happen before they started, because of how opening up 6Ps works), but other than that it looks the same as it did when I gave it to them.

Finally dumped my 6P. Worst phone I have ever owned.

The battery would routinely die north of 50%, including while I was alone on top of a mountain in West Virginia doing some backcountry hiking (just walked around with it in airplane mode in my bag not using it at all). I was very pissed about it after getting back, and I never left anywhere without a mophie pack handy after that experience. If there was an emergency I would've been fucked.

Finally the other day, the screen just turned off while I was reading a web page while walking down the street. Never came back on. Touch screen still works, everything is still functional, but the screen acts like a cable came unplugged or something.

I have a drawer full of phones that are beat up to hell with broken screens and dents/scrapes all over them that are functionally just fine, but this phone that I babied and never dropped once or had any problems with just fell apart for seemingly no reason at all. I'd never recommend anyone buy this phone.

I'm on Fi, so my options were to buy another 6P or try out a 5X, but I opted to just buy a used Pixel on eBay. So far it's been great. Hoping HTC's build quality holds up a lot better than Hauwei's.

Going to keep at it and see if Google will send me a refurb for the battery issue, and try to sell it off, but I'm never going to use this phone again. Right now it's a $550 paperweight.

The battery would routinely die north of 50%, including while I was alone on top of a mountain in West Virginia doing some backcountry hiking (just walked around with it in airplane mode in my bag not using it at all). I was very pissed about it after getting back, and I never left anywhere without a mophie pack handy after that experience. If there was an emergency I would've been fucked.

Finally the other day, the screen just turned off while I was reading a web page while walking down the street. Never came back on. Touch screen still works, everything is still functional, but the screen acts like a cable came unplugged or something.

I have a drawer full of phones that are beat up to hell with broken screens and dents/scrapes all over them that are functionally just fine, but this phone that I babied and never dropped once or had any problems with just fell apart for seemingly no reason at all. I'd never recommend anyone buy this phone.

I'm on Fi, so my options were to buy another 6P or try out a 5X, but I opted to just buy a used Pixel on eBay. So far it's been great. Hoping HTC's build quality holds up a lot better than Hauwei's.

Going to keep at it and see if Google will send me a refurb for the battery issue, and try to sell it off, but I'm never going to use this phone again. Right now it's a $550 paperweight.

As much as I like the phone, the issues are unacceptable and I will absolutely never buy another Hauwei phone ever again. I got lucky and was ONE DAY in warranty when mine started bootlooping and was able to get a replacement, but no way never again. Can't blame you.

As much as I like the phone, the issues are unacceptable and I will absolutely never buy another Hauwei phone ever again. I got lucky and was ONE DAY in warranty when mine started bootlooping and was able to get a replacement, but no way never again. Can't blame you.

Mine is still covered by Nexus Protect, but I do not fucking trust getting another shitty refurbished phone. I've heard of them shipping 6Ps with literally no padding and it will flop around in the box and also getting refurbished ones that were worse than the ones that were sent back to them.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Dumped mine this week too. I couldn't take the early shutdowns any longer, and we were starting to get into the region of 2 or 3 hours of life max.

The 6P would have been such a great phone if it weren't for the battery.

So now I have the best battery on the market, the Asus Zenfone 3 Zoom. I have over 70% left by bedtime, every day. I'm not sure what to do with all this newfound power.

vypek

Any chance you have a link to the listing for that Pixel you got off eBay? New or refurbished? I'm also on Fi and don't really know about GSM unlocked or Verizon based listings and what would work with Project Fi. I'm tired of random reboots that I can't control or replicate to see what the issue might be. This phone is infuriating at this point.

Dumped mine this week too. I couldn't take the early shutdowns any longer, and we were starting to get into the region of 2 or 3 hours of life max.

The 6P would have been such a great phone if it weren't for the battery.

So now I have the best battery on the market, the Asus Zenfone 3 Zoom. I have over 70% left by bedtime, every day. I'm not sure what to do with all this newfound power.

The battery being not shit and the 810 not being in the phone would make it stellar. If they could fit current hardware in the Nexus 6P body, that would be amazing.

Any chance you have a link to the listing for that Pixel you got off eBay? New or refurbished? I'm also on Fi and don't really know about GSM unlocked or Verizon based listings and what would work with Project Fi. I'm tired of random reboots that I can't control or replicate to see what the issue might be. This phone is infuriating at this point.

I bought a Verizon one. The bootloader is locked, but I don't usually fuck with that stuff so I don't really care.

The seller had a couple more. I'll PM you a link.

Google can't even update their OS without breaking Bluetooth, but yeah we're totally ready for a Bluetooth only future.

My problem with the 6P and Bluetooth is that if I use the phone too much or for too long, I have to reboot the phone to even use Bluetooth in my car. It basically breaks until I reboot.

Someone, anyone, tell me I'm not the only one.

--> Open WhatsApp and do WhatsApp things

--> Hit the home button

--> Open another app, any other app will do

--> Hit the home button

--> Open WhatsApp

Do you get opening lag? Sometimes WhatsApp can take up to 2-0 seconds to be responsive. I even get the dreaded Wait, Kill, Feedback window... It just becomes unresponsive.

I must note, this doesn't happen all the time, but enough to drive me fucking nuts. It's been like 3 months it's doing this. No amount of fresh installs fixes it.

It's a sad state of affairs. I wanted the Pixel 2 to be next phone after my 6P but... now I have no idea what I will get next.

Same here, note sure what phone I want to move to. I want to stay on GoogleFi but I don't want to spend $800+ on a phone anymore.

Someone, anyone, tell me I'm not the only one.

--> Open WhatsApp and do WhatsApp things

--> Hit the home button

--> Open another app, any other app will do

--> Hit the home button

--> Open WhatsApp

Do you get opening lag? Sometimes WhatsApp can take up to 2-0 seconds to be responsive. I even get the dreaded Wait, Kill, Feedback window... It just becomes unresponsive.

I must note, this doesn't happen all the time, but enough to drive me fucking nuts. It's been like 3 months it's doing this. No amount of fresh installs fixes it.

Nope, nothing like that for me. (And I use whatsapp a lot).

Maybe delete any media (images/videos) that you received in whatsapp around when the problem started?

Same here, note sure what phone I want to move to. I want to stay on GoogleFi but I don't want to spend $800+ on a phone anymore.

Nope, nothing like that for me. (And I use whatsapp a lot).

Maybe delete any media (images/videos) that you received in whatsapp around when the problem started?
Zut.

But I want to keep my images/media :( I'm OCD like that.

Looks like I'm lucky with my Nexus. Shuts off at 6%.

Same. It will shut off at around 15% if I am running Snapchat, but I swear that's just some Snapchat fuckery.

I bought it in May 2016 as a refurbished phone from Best Buy... seems mostly fine still, although the battery is definitely dying, as I have to charge it twice a day to really get through an entire day of use in which I don't game or watch more than maybe 20 total minutes of videos on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom